Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CODChimera posted:

there should be like a TVIV hall of fame for the dumbest tv watching moments. LOST would be at least two of them (shannon stabbed, the ending) but then you got The Office I aquit and TWD cannibals. Oh and that one poster from the Dexter thread

There have definitely been some great moments in TV IV over the years. Hopefully many more are to come in HoTD.

i say swears online posted:

Rhaenyra: so the throne is mine but I don't care about making friends or allies and foreseeing long-term consequences elude me

Principal: Ms. Targaryen, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

yes

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Wait! Wait! I can do one, too!

“You eat turds for breakfast?”

Same movie, right?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Emily Carey was truly great as Alicent. You could practically feel her "trapped and helplessly alone" vibe every time she was on screen. I'm sad to see her and Milly Alcock depart. :smith:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

ser criston cole dragging a printer 20 miles in the freezing rain

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I will miss Milly's Jon Snow open mouth

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
The line about deaths at Dothraki weddings gets better every time we see a Westerosi wedding.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*disregard

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

i like this show

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

That DICK! posted:

i fixed the scene

are you sure

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Viserys: Never had to knock on wood, but I know someone who has, which makes me wonder if I could. It makes me wonder if...

Lyonel Strong: I never had to knock on wood, and I'm glad I haven't yet. Because I'm sure it isn't good. That's the impression that I get.

As we get closer to the civil war, the story gets more interesting, but this episode felt like it covered a lot of well-trod ground: Viserys is sick and seems to die at the end of every scene, Daemon is an rear end in a top hat, Rhaenya is too trusting, etc. Alicent comes into her own as the queen but the aforementioned clunky exposition robbed it of any weight. Cole snapping to me made zero sense and wasn't believable, but that's because they went for the "unexpected" choice when teasing the obligatory wedding violence.

It would have been cool if the show had given some more personality to Lyonel Strong since so many people are like, "Who is he, again?"

I look forward to the time jump to the point where the series probably should have started.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Panama Red posted:

Viserys: Never had to knock on wood, but I know someone who has, which makes me wonder if I could. It makes me wonder if...

Lyonel Strong: I never had to knock on wood, and I'm glad I haven't yet. Because I'm sure it isn't good. That's the impression that I get.

Guy whispering to other guy at wedding feast: the song is about aids

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

WHAT

folks,

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheBizzness posted:

Maybe I’m a dumb dumb but why is the Queen so upset?

Yeah, what other people have said about her position and children being threatened is very much a part of it, but a huge part is that she's very, very gay for Rhaenyra. Or at least IMO.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

PostNouveau posted:

How on earth does Criston Cole stick around after that? I don't mean in the immediate aftermath, obviously the show just gave him a free murder in front of everyone pass. How does he stay at the Red Keep with Laenor around?

I mean this is super easy so long as they go with it "the man tried to kill ____ and this noble Kingsguard stopped him!"

I love how Matt Smith can steal a scene so effectively with so little dialogue, but maybe it's the show as well. Allicent's entrance was equally fantastic without any dialogue. The show knows when to show and not tell, which is a drat rare thing these days.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Christian Cole looks so out of place. He's just some 2020s hunk thrown into the show. Same with Hand Goon. Love them

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Yes, we get, the dress is gold.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
House Yanny sends their regards.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, what other people have said about her position and children being threatened is very much a part of it, but a huge part is that she's very, very gay for Rhaenyra. Or at least IMO.

Emily Carey identifies as queer and has flat out said that there were parts of the show where she and Milly thought that their characters were about to kiss at certain points. So, no, it wasn't only you that saw a lot of gay angst between them.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

Allicent's entrance was equally fantastic without any dialogue. The show knows when to show and not tell

am i going crazy

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Edit: nah let's be chill

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Emily Carey identifies as queer and has flat out said that there were parts of the show where she and Milly thought that their characters were about to kiss at certain points. So, no, it wasn't only you that saw a lot of gay angst between them.

Yeah, I've a friend who's been reading Rhaenyra as potentially trans / genderqueer, partly influenced by Emma D'arcy's casting.

Either way, I've been reading this show through a feminist/queer lens for the most part. If they just crowned Rhaenyra king and Allicent married her as queen, then quite a lot of the brewing conflict could probably be sorted.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

unlimited shrimp posted:

Mrs. Queen Alicent Hightower-Targaryen
She's Mrs. The Monarch.

Pennsylvanian posted:

The line about deaths at Dothraki weddings gets better every time we see a Westerosi wedding.
This is extremely true to life. Just consider all the takes about [something in the West] being just like [something in the "barbarous Orient"], completely ignoring the option that maybe the people being put on a pedestal aren't actually any different.

Sentinel Red posted:

Guess Laena had a hard paper round.

Also, what the gently caress was Matt Daemon complaining about, his wife seemed way cooler than the average Westorsi noble. Dumbass.
Based on their interaction, she disliked him before he disliked her. He's just mad at her because she realized she's better than him, and wasn't afraid to say so.

Llamadeus posted:

Probably just budget reasons imo
Viserys made up the whole "7 days of partying" to seem cool, but had arranged for the Kingsguard to kill a member of the Velaryon party to have an excuse to cut the wedding short to save money. Extremely wise goon-king knows not to spend money you don't have.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Even without the relationship aspect Alicent was all but forced to be in a life that's privileged in a lot of ways but gave her no freedom, while seeing her former best friend complain she can't do whatever she wants even when her dad gives her permission to pick any husband she wanted, while breaking a long standing tradition to make her his heir and future queen.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Gotta take a fine tooth comb to the sexuality of everyone before I can enjoy this piece of fiction

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they should have cast anya taylor joy as old rhaenyra to make hot-d a spiritual sequel to thoroughbreds

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Yeah, I've a friend who's been reading Rhaenyra as potentially trans / genderqueer, partly influenced by Emma D'arcy's casting.

Either way, I've been reading this show through a feminist/queer lens for the most part. If they just crowned Rhaenyra king and Allicent married her as queen, then quite a lot of the brewing conflict could probably be sorted.

I’ve been doing some nerd reading on matrilineal societies in the pre-classical Mediterranean world (pre Bronze Age collapse, basically), and inheritance through the mother just makes more sense, especially in terms of agriculture holdings. Those societies also were matrilocal, meaning the husband would leave his mother’s home and go live with the family of his wife. If marriages were dissolved, a woman was never without a home for herself and her children. Avuncular inheritance is also prevalent in these societies, the mother’s brothers leaving their inheritance to their nephews. Interesting poo poo.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

exmarx posted:

they should have cast anya taylor joy as old rhaenyra to make hot-d a spiritual sequel to thoroughbreds

Rhaes eyes arent a foot apart

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Barreft posted:

Rhaes eyes arent a foot apart

a red priestess fuses rhaenyra with syrax and ATJ is presented as the hybrid

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Can’t wait for Daemon to drop fools into the hole at the Vale. That was always a fun set.
He isn't trying to inheriting the whole Vale, just Rune Stone. His heritage includes a magical bronze Armour with powerful runes. Okay the maesters will tell you it's just a cool looking armor and the runes do nothing but we know the score and it looks cool. Or you know he will just give all that useless poo poo to the angry cousin to have him shut the gently caress up and marry some 14 years old dragon rider. I doubt we will see the set again, even if it would be cool.

Jerkface posted:

The queen is protecting him and Laenor is merely a prince consort and do you think they are gonna be like "hey im gay and you killed my boyfriend" - lots of whispers about laenor being broken up by the killing of a minor house knight
It's less stupid in the book because Criston kills Joffrey, the knight of kisses, during the following tournament. I guess they didn't have the budget for that so we got a wedding murder and a shotgun wedding after that. It's midgame and bigger things are coming, so i guess i can live with it.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 20, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Viserys made up the whole "7 days of partying" to seem cool, but had arranged for the Kingsguard to kill a member of the Velaryon party to have an excuse to cut the wedding short to save money. Extremely wise goon-king knows not to spend money you don't have.

"Soldiers $200M
Dragons $150M
Castles $800M
Daughter's Wedding Week $3,600M
Jousting $150M

someone who is good at the economy please help budget this, my family is about to get killed"

"Have someone murdered the first night of the wedding to throw the whole thing off"

":hmmyes:"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/boneysoups/status/1572064440370987011

love this dumbass himbo

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

The dress line was pretty bad, yeah. I loved the entire rest of that scene, and I totally understand needing to explain the color, but ooof that line just clunked. I feel bad for the actors who had to come up with some motivation for that because, seriously, what the gently caress would the characters be trying to accomplish with that exchange.
In the post episode featurette, Miguel Sapochnik said he wonders how much of the audience will pick up on the dress color “even though we explain it.”

They think the viewers are super dumb. And in general they’re probably right.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's true, I have no idea what is going on, I'm just waiting for all the pretty people to murder each other. So the latest episode was great, A+.

Except for king Goon, he's not pretty but I empathize with him having no idea what's going on either.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I loved the music cue the feature prominently when the dress debuts. Actually, I think it might be the debut of that musical theme as well, I can't remember noticing it before.

The music really sells it as this big moment, you just know that turning up at someone else's wedding in a big showy dress and doing the slow walk while stunting on the King is a big loving deal, but the music sells it as the debut of some kind of big war. The show's saying that this is the bit conflict going forward.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I loved the music cue the feature prominently when the dress debuts. Actually, I think it might be the debut of that musical theme as well, I can't remember noticing it before.

The music really sells it as this big moment, you just know that turning up at someone else's wedding in a big showy dress and doing the slow walk while stunting on the King is a big loving deal, but the music sells it as the debut of some kind of big war. The show's saying that this is the bit conflict going forward.

it's definitely the first really powerful score of the series. very noticeable and evocative track that works really well in the scene, making that one bit of clunky dialogue hit a little clunkier. just imagine if there was nothing but the score and the murmurs of the crowd.

almost a 💯 scene just gets a slight demerit for catering to the dodos

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Now I have my fingers crossed that the timeskip will be the time they introduce the real opening title theme. :ohdear:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

stev posted:

Now I have my fingers crossed that the timeskip will be the time they introduce the real opening title theme. :ohdear:
I hope it's a 80s opening for a show called Aemond in the Middle.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

i say swears online posted:

am i going crazy

“Show don’t tell” has long since become one of those phrases that just means whatever you want it to, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ser Scott of House Stapp