Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Default Juice, the 21st century equivalent to Baikal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

and it's not even on sale

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i say swears online posted:

and it's not even on sale

That’s why it’s called default, duh

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So, we have the 14th Saeima elections in Latvia on the 1st of October, where we choose our parliament. This is the most important election of Latvian political cycle, since the parliament elects our president. Brief summary of our electoral system: http://archive.ipu.org/parline-e/reports/2177_B.htm

Haven't had the time to read through everything but big thanks for the effort posts!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Pardon my foreigner ignorance but JV Latvian-only schools curriculum is against a lot of European union norms on local minorities (minorities over a certain percentage of the local population have the right to request specific language in schools and public tv programs), executing on that would mean getting Bruxelles kind of pissed. I understand the feeling given the current political climate but unless they plan on getting every Russian minority member on a bus with a hard ticket to Moscow, I'm not seeing it being feasible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

Pardon my foreigner ignorance but JV Latvian-only schools curriculum is against a lot of European union norms on local minorities (minorities over a certain percentage of the local population have the right to request specific language in schools and public tv programs), executing on that would mean getting Bruxelles kind of pissed. I understand the feeling given the current political climate but unless they plan on getting every Russian minority member on a bus with a hard ticket to Moscow, I'm not seeing it being feasible.

It’s already in our legislature, with JV and every other party promising it effectively promising to not cancel the current plan, or to double down on it. I’ll look up the legal argumentation regarding compliance with EU legislation later today. And you’re not wrong that that our right wing would be glad to send complaining Russian speakers to Moscow, but that catchphrase involves trains.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s already in our legislature, with JV and every other party promising it effectively promising to not cancel the current plan, or to double down on it. I’ll look up the legal argumentation regarding compliance with EU legislation later today. And you’re not wrong that that our right wing would be glad to send complaining Russian speakers to Moscow, but that catchphrase involves trains.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/TA-8-2018-0447_EN.html
https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/A-8-2018-0353_EN.html

I think there are a couple of more current reports but i can't find them.

Another point of interest is ECRML which is an older version of those rules.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/TA-8-2018-0447_EN.html
https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/A-8-2018-0353_EN.html

I think there are a couple of more current reports but i can't find them.

Another point of interest is ECRML which is an older version of those rules.

I meant that as in I’ll look up how our lawmakers are trying to rules lawyer out of this. I’m mostly opposed to the change myself, and I’m well aware that it shouldn’t be allowed in EU.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/ArmSpoxMFA/status/1571843687595884545

Fingers crossed for something concrete

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

The problem is that Russians refuse to learn Latvian, like at all. And while workplaces can't mandate knowledge of Russian without good reason, there is trouble finding work without knowing it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

huh, has russia done anything about its neighbors banning russian as a minority language recently

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MikusR posted:

The problem is that Russians refuse to learn Latvian, like at all.

lol in the states this is a very :aochloe: type of sentence

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

huh, has russia done anything about its neighbors banning russian as a minority language recently

I think the last one that did ended up losing part of their land mass afterwards.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I meant that as in I’ll look up how our lawmakers are trying to rules lawyer out of this. I’m mostly opposed to the change myself, and I’m well aware that it shouldn’t be allowed in EU.

At a glance, it looks like Latvia has not signed or ratified the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages, which would define the minority languages to be protected. The EU directives around minority rights seem to agree that once a country becomes an EU member, there isn't much that can be done to enforce the minimum standards. Latvia will, however, continue to fund Russian-language programs on the state and municipal level, but those programs will be outside the standard curriculum.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

I think the last one that did ended up losing part of their land mass afterwards.

Assuming this is about Ukraine, go finish your homework, and then try posting in the appropriate thread.

lol in the states this is a very :aochloe: type of sentence

Here it's increasingly mainstream, though the "trouble with finding work without knowing Russian" is somewhat of a red herring.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

At a glance, it looks like Latvia has not signed or ratified the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages, which would define the minority languages to be protected. The EU directives around minority rights seem to agree that once a country becomes an EU member, there isn't much that can be done to enforce the minimum standards. Latvia will, however, continue to fund Russian-language programs on the state and municipal level, but those programs will be outside the standard curriculum.

P8_TA(2018)0447 has a LV translation so I think it has been signed by Latvia too. It has clear wording for education and access to materials in minorities language.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They seem to be an older party, rather than just a shell party, but a fringe one that has never made it anywhere. Close to 0 hits for them on search as well. The only thing I can come up with is that their Riga list headliner is Valentīns Jeremejevs, who has spent the entire pandemic running around and calling the government a bunch of "covidfascists".

Their programme cannot be summarized, as there are no policy proposals in it. There's just a short list of complaints ranging from "food prices have drastically gone up" to "the word mother has been replaced with Parent No.1".

I wanted to mention this on Sunday morning, but Jeremejevs became a meme ("Zaļais Valentīns" on Twitter/FB) quite some time before the pandemic. He initially was leading the Riga section of the Greens, gained some notoriety by crudely petitioning against a pride march, then tried to start a local Yellow Vests movement when that was all the rage and a petrol station boycott. And that's off top of my head. There's surely more.

SlowBloke posted:

I've never paid much attention, but I've never heard about much or any criticism coming from EU since EU accession. I believe that the planned shift from full and comprehensive K-12 education in minority languages (predominantly Russian, but there's Ukrainian, Belarussian, Polish, Estonian, etc) to fully Latvian with minority languages and culture/history remaining as subsidized electives probably meets some mandatory minimums. Closest I could find in English was this COE document. The analysis section and conclusions mostly.

https://www.venice.coe.int/webforms/documents/?pdf=CDL-AD(2020)012-e

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Assuming this is about Ukraine, go finish your homework, and then try posting in the appropriate thread.

Here it's increasingly mainstream, though the "trouble with finding work without knowing Russian" is somewhat of a red herring.

Ngl, the war the other guy alluded to has set the ethnic relations back a bit. At least judging by Twitter, didn't really feel it on the ground when I was in Riga this summer.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

a podcast for cats posted:

I believe that the planned shift from full and comprehensive K-12 education in minority languages (predominantly Russian, but there's Ukrainian, Belarussian, Polish, Estonian, etc) to fully Latvian with minority languages and culture/history remaining as subsidized electives probably meets some mandatory minimums.

That's more reasonable, the earlier Cinci posts looked like a full blown removal of any Russian language curricula, even in minority schools.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah when i saw the monuments being toppled i thought we were in the "tear down and replace street signs" phase of collective punishment, but frankly combined with the equivalent of ESL classes that's basically american curriculum

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

That's more reasonable, the earlier Cinci posts looked like a full blown removal of any Russian language curricula, even in minority schools.

“Education exclusively in Latvian” in Latvia means that subjects like mathematics get taught in Latvian, and that Latvian language classes are held to the competence requirements designed for native speakers. This doesn’t prohibit minority schools from conducting their respective language, literature, and culture classes, at a standard appropriate for native speakers and in their own language, e.g., 5 language hours per week, as opposed to 3 hours of German as a foreign language per week at a Latvian school. The non-political root of this all is that something like 1/4 of our population, if I had to guess, is functionally illiterate in Latvian, and at best barely capable of reading road signs or food labels. The political component of this, however, is non-insignificant, and was recently boosted to the forefront, with Putin justifying overnight our nationalists’ dogmatic view that Latvian language proficiency is a national security concern.

The flip side of this is that Russophile conservatives believe that past existence of USSR entitles them to be able to live their whole lives here without speaking any Latvian, explicitly so.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 19, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah when i saw the monuments being toppled i thought we were in the "tear down and replace street signs" phase of collective punishment, but frankly combined with the equivalent of ESL classes that's basically american curriculum

See, it's helpful to read up basic information before you go in with hot takes based on bizarre priors.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I wanted to mention this on Sunday morning, but Jeremejevs became a meme ("Zaļais Valentīns" on Twitter/FB) quite some time before the pandemic. He initially was leading the Riga section of the Greens, gained some notoriety by crudely petitioning against a pride march, then tried to start a local Yellow Vests movement when that was all the rage and a petrol station boycott. And that's off top of my head. There's surely more.

Yeah, I’m not too plugged into social circles that would discuss Jeremevejs, but he is very much a political swindler.

Ngl, the war the other guy alluded to has set the ethnic relations back a bit. At least judging by Twitter, didn't really feel it on the ground when I was in Riga this summer.

I agree. As far as ethnic politics go, I think this is at best just slightly short of a catastrophe, and the Overton window for what’s an acceptable policy has swung right quite hard. Down on the ground, things can get spicy, but I’m somewhat insulated from it all by being a tall and loud Latgalian, the kind you’d imagine from anecdotes. The subtler things I’ve picked up though is that there’s a lot more identarian political calculus going into the choice of language in any given situation, mostly from Russian speakers, with the spectrum going from people aggressively continuing to speak Russian when they know Latvian and other party is clearly struggling to understand them in Russian, to being so afraid to speak Russian that they pretend to be foreigners and speak in English.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 19, 2022

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Thanks again for the writeups, Cinci. They were a perfect jumping-off point for chasing down a few last details on party platforms and personnel before mailing my ballot in.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/301arm/status/1571957268966408192?s=46&t=wdqSxMaaTDFXz-SR73EP2w

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1571958567422562304

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

The mere fact that Blinken is leading this snap meeting is an indication for me that the US sees some strong indications that Azerbaijan is preparing a military operation.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

FishBulbia posted:

The mere fact that Blinken is leading this snap meeting is an indication for me that the US sees some strong indications that Azerbaijan is preparing a military operation.

For me it's more apparent that Russian influence has completely collapsed. Armenia's only other option is Iran, so the US is diving in to make sure that Iran doesn't expand its sphere.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

New unrecognized republic just dropped yall

https://twitter.com/AzembassyM/status/1571962935035002893

The Azeri Republic of Goycha Zangezur

They already have little flags and everything

They opened an office in Ankara two weeks ago!

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 19, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is this really the official account of their embassy in Moldova?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

On one hand, I cannot find a mention for this account on the respective website. On the other hand, if this is a fake then they’re psycho enough to sit there and keep liking the real Azerbaijan MFA posts.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
EE&FSU: watch Rustam's dad start a loving war

https://twitter.com/magdagul/status/1571994729893568512

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I was hoping the lovely font would be a permanent part of the flag, but no :mad:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

Who need they Azembassy ate?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I was watching some random videos about Georgia and dude was saying it’s pretty normal there for elevators to use chips or access codes so that the tenants are charged monthly for usage. I’m mildly fascinated by the concept, but I don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere in EE?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mokotow posted:

I was watching some random videos about Georgia and dude was saying it’s pretty normal there for elevators to use chips or access codes so that the tenants are charged monthly for usage. I’m mildly fascinated by the concept, but I don’t think I’ve seen it anywhere in EE?

“The door refused to open. It said, “Five cents, please.”
He searched his pockets. No more coins; nothing. “I’ll pay you tomorrow,” he told the door. Again he tried the knob. Again it remained locked tight. “What I pay you,” he informed it, “is in the nature of a gratuity; I don’t have to pay you.”
“I think otherwise,” the door said. “Look in the purchase contract you signed when you bought this conapt.”
In his desk drawer he found the contract; since signing it he had found it necessary to refer to the document many times. Sure enough; payment to his door for opening and shutting constituted a mandatory fee. Not a tip.

But yeah, never seen or heard of this anywhere. That said it's probably not as bad or ridiculous as it sounds. I pay like 200EUR/month for various building maintenance and other shared expenses, including the elevator that I don't use. So actually I think I'd rather prefer that way!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Same, never heard of this. My building does charge though around half a euro per square metre of my apartment, as a maintenance fee.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure I've stayed in an Airbnb where I had to use a token to allow the elevator to go over a certain floor. Not even a very fancy building and it definitely worked for the lower floors. Could it be a security measure?

Alternatively, it could be a short term rental thing. Over here, in tourist accommodation, you sometimes see weird things like coin operated AC controls and electricity meters that take prepaid magstripe cards.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tokens on elevator for access control is a perfectly normal thing. Billing elevator usage per-ride though is absolutely wild to me.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Tokens on elevator for access control is a perfectly normal thing. Billing elevator usage per-ride though is absolutely wild to me.

I bet food deliverers love that!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

I bet food deliverers love that!

Food deliverers love their job here in general, given the quality of Google Maps and the street planning here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/zoyashef/status/1572150754844250115

Are these promises of reforms meaningful or consistent with ongoing policies, or is it just a PR blitz to avoid getting too dependent on China when Russia collapses?