Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hades was great. I wasn't compelled to go back and beat it a thousand times to get the true ending or whatever but was a very good mix of aesthetic/story and satisfying combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yeah I finished Hades and loved it a lot. The new spin on each weapon really spices the game up right when you feel pretty done with it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

fridge corn posted:

Even with that option the game sucked

i haven't played it but you've never been wrong before so i'm hitching my horse to this post

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hades nutz

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I played Hades a bunch in early access then fell off…
and then it released properly, and I played it a bunch more to get the main ending (10 clears, only counting post-1.0 victories)! Then I put it down for like a year…
and now I’m playing it again! Gonna fulfil every prophecy and get every last scrap of meat off the bone. drat what a great game.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I also started playing it again on Sunday, managed to get 2 clears in a row bringing my total to 6 clears in about 80 attempts... I suck at winning but the story and friendship progression keeps me going.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Had to delete Hades from the switch as it was just demolishing all my motivation to do anything else when I was working from home. God I miss that job. Getting paid to play FF7 and THPS1+2 and watch bridesmaids.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I stopped Hades from ruining more of my life but brute forcing the Platinum as quickly as possible. Never had to play it after that again.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Syphon Filter 2 on ps+ prem has region hz switching :getin:

Sf2 also owns and is very good, the best sf.

Based on the file sizes, seems the way they are doing it is including both ntsc and pal versions in the ps5/4 app rather than hacking the pal iso

Edit:
https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1539865859010793472

Cool, they are all getting it

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 20, 2022

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i haven't played it but you've never been wrong before so i'm hitching my horse to this post

:smugmrgw:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I've beaten Hades a few dozen times, mostly because I bought it during peak COVID and it was the perfect game to play on interminable conference calls that were of little relevance to me

I adore Returnal too, but the only reason I haven't gone back is because I've wanted to play other games in my backlog. Adding Deathloop to the stack when it gets added to PS+ Extra later today...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really loved Hades but I didn't think that True Ending or whatever they called it for maxing out every Olympians relationship was worth it at all. Otherwise yeah pretty sick game really enjoyed it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Horizon Forbidden West slaps

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hades is a pretty great game and a diamond in the rough with all the games out these days. One of the few to capture my attention so strongly. The sheer amount of different spoken lines and ways to play added to wanting to see what else the game had in store.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hades is so fantastic I put so many hours into it and loved all of them even by the end when I was getting basically no new things and was just doing runs while drunk for the hell of it

Still never got all the Dusa romance stuff though

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Vintersorg posted:

Hades is a pretty great game and a diamond in the rough with all the games out these days.

i do not think this phrase means what you think it means

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Weird, always thought it meant "standout". :lol:

E: It's not this?

"A sexual act involving a married woman inserting a diamond ring in the rear end."

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Vintersorg posted:

"A sexual act involving a married woman inserting a diamond ring in the rear end."

If I put a diamond ring up my rear end it would be a diamond in the jungle

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm about 5-6 hours into Horizon Forbidden West (Finished the mission the Embassy & All Side Quests up to this point). I have to say I am really impressed.

The quality of the acting is a huge step up from the first game and most games in general. The writing is basic, but the characters are acted & animated so well. I was particularly impressed with the nuance of body language, facial expressions, and tone conveyed by Avad & Erend. They both convey a lot of mixed feelings about Aloy in terms of their attraction to her vs. the fact that she's cold and socially inept and has clearly offended them.

This strength carries on to the side quests. The average one seems to contain a moderate amount of story that is all acted out over multiple active scenes. It's not just a still frame shots of two people's upper torsos talking to each other. Also they seem to have a system going on behind the scenes that links the side quests? When I finished The Bristleback side quest the conclusion featured multiple characters from other different side quests coming together and recounting my actions from all involved quests. I doubt this affects the actual outcome, but it's a really nice touch.

The gameplay also appears to be significantly improved in the sense that they nailed "game-feel". Aloy has weight in her actions. Even simple things like jumping off a high ledge is satisfying because of the sense of impact and momentum. This really comes into play with the new stealth kills on humans, which are insanely brutal (I shoved my spear down some guy's throat when jumping from above him). The new machines have a lot more parts, making battles look absolutely insane, as pieces go exploding, sparking, and flying everywhere. The sound design plays into this too, which is really incredible. I love the echo people's voices take on in canyons.

Similar to the first game, I came into this with low expectations, after a lot of worth of mouth that the game was fine, sort of a good-but-not-great follow up. It's totally possible that a lot of the above will wear off on me as I get side quest fatigue or see the same animations for the hundredth time, but right now there's a pretty huge wow factor at play.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Vintersorg posted:

If you put a diamond ring up my rear end it's coming back without the diamond. I've been training years for this. My puckering control is unrivalled.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I'm about 5-6 hours into Horizon Forbidden West (Finished the mission the Embassy & All Side Quests up to this point). I have to say I am really impressed.

The quality of the acting is a huge step up from the first game and most games in general. The writing is basic, but the characters are acted & animated so well. I was particularly impressed with the nuance of body language, facial expressions, and tone conveyed by Avad & Erend. They both convey a lot of mixed feelings about Aloy in terms of their attraction to her vs. the fact that she's cold and socially inept and has clearly offended them.

This strength carries on to the side quests. The average one seems to contain a moderate amount of story that is all acted out over multiple active scenes. It's not just a still frame shots of two people's upper torsos talking to each other. Also they seem to have a system going on behind the scenes that links the side quests? When I finished The Bristleback side quest the conclusion featured multiple characters from other different side quests coming together and recounting my actions from all involved quests. I doubt this affects the actual outcome, but it's a really nice touch.

The gameplay also appears to be significantly improved in the sense that they nailed "game-feel". Aloy has weight in her actions. Even simple things like jumping off a high ledge is satisfying because of the sense of impact and momentum. This really comes into play with the new stealth kills on humans, which are insanely brutal (I shoved my spear down some guy's throat when jumping from above him). The new machines have a lot more parts, making battles look absolutely insane, as pieces go exploding, sparking, and flying everywhere. The sound design plays into this too, which is really incredible. I love the echo people's voices take on in canyons.

Similar to the first game, I came into this with low expectations, after a lot of worth of mouth that the game was fine, sort of a good-but-not-great follow up. It's totally possible that a lot of the above will wear off on me as I get side quest fatigue or see the same animations for the hundredth time, but right now there's a pretty huge wow factor at play.

I'm at the exact same point and the first thing I've learned is shoot the gun off of scroungers. Those things actually behave like pack hunters and they will light you up until you force them to melee you.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm also right around that point, but only a few hours in because I've been just doing the main quests. My understanding is that all the side stuff stays available? Sure hope it's true and I'm not locking myself out of some of these characters.

It definitely plays smoother now over the first game, if not completely free of hiccups. I don't think I was thirty seconds in when I got caught on some piddling piece of terrain and thought "oh, here we go" but it's been pretty smooth since.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

The "rough" part of the phrase means "uncut" or "unrefined." So the phrase means "she don't look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid" or perhaps in car analogy terms, a sleeper. Hades is anything but.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Who even cares? Games like Hades are a diamond dozen.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Oh, the phrase comes from the idea that a raw diamond looks a lot like a chunk of quartz or zirconia, so spotting a literal diamond in the rough is a mark of a keenly discerning eye, able to look past what is presented and see what is valuable about something.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

Still never got all the Dusa romance stuff though

you're alive but have you really lived

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Vintersorg posted:

Hades is a pretty great game and a diamond in the rough with all the games out these days. One of the few to capture my attention so strongly. The sheer amount of different spoken lines and ways to play added to wanting to see what else the game had in store.

This was how I felt about it. It was one of the few games in the last few years that I just felt an immense amount of joy playing. I liked the characters and how even after playing for 60 hours I was still seeing new dialog, I liked the combat, and I liked the different builds. I beat it a ton of times and never felt the desire to turn on the east mode but I also understood people who did. It was a nice way to let people in who didn’t have the patience for doing so many unlocks and figuring out weapon/upgrade builds.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
3rd stage of Sifu the game's art direction is really starting to shine. What a fun rear end game

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Strongly reccomend hardspace to anyone who enjoyed playing snow runner and found it quite thrilling to take a risk and watch it all go wrong in slow motion before struggling through a fix. Its the only other game I've played which is somehow super chill but also very tense at the same time.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

bows1 posted:

Sifu...rear end game

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I am using my Sony PlayStation 5 to finally play Bioshock: Infinite. It is officially OK, although I already wish I was playing something newer.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So I finally finished The Last of Us Part 1 for the Piss5, and here is my updated review after not being impressed by the first game at the start:

I just bought The Last of Us Part 2.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://youtu.be/1QwGFN6dvoI

lmao I did not expect the narrator of this trailer to be that guy

They knew what they were doing

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Macichne Leainig posted:

So I finally finished The Last of Us Part 1 for the Piss5, and here is my updated review after not being impressed by the first game at the start:

Strap yourself in. 2 is amazing. I liked it a lot more than 1.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Kilometers Davis posted:

https://youtu.be/1QwGFN6dvoI

lmao I did not expect the narrator of this trailer to be that guy

They knew what they were doing

the perfect voice for trailers. I want that game just because of that voice

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Fix posted:

I'm also right around that point, but only a few hours in because I've been just doing the main quests. My understanding is that all the side stuff stays available? Sure hope it's true and I'm not locking myself out of some of these characters.

It definitely plays smoother now over the first game, if not completely free of hiccups. I don't think I was thirty seconds in when I got caught on some piddling piece of terrain and thought "oh, here we go" but it's been pretty smooth since.

You should be okay. HZD very clearly pointed out that the last story quest is a point of no return, it even tells you to make sure you tie up any loose ends before you proceed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

Prodeus was fantastic even in early access. I do wonder if it will translate well to a gamepad though.

Like Doom Eternal translates perfectly because they fine-tune the AI around it (enemies are less aggressive behind you on every platform, but even more so when using a gamepad). Wolfenstein: The New Colossus made no such tweaks and was brutally hard without a mouse and keyboard as a result. Prodeus kinda needs that kind of console-centric fine tuning too.

I played through Prodeus on PC about a year ago with a gamepad and it feels great. Zero issues. tbh I think it felt just as good to play as the new Doom games if not better. Personally I liked it more than Eternal overall.

My only gripe with Prodeus (and I don't know if it's been changed since) was that the checkpointing was kind of stupid unless you care about scores. Basically you just respawn and all of the enemies you killed stay dead which makes it feel like there isn't really any challenge (although you will get a crappy score if you die a lot) Game could have really used a lives system or something. iirc the hardest mode doesn't have checkpoints but lol. No way I can beat that.

Otherwise it's the best boomer shooter I have played by a wide margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Macichne Leainig posted:

TLOU 2 is one of the most ambitious games ever made. It's insane how good it is. You are in for a ride.