Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Marsupial Ape posted:

Deke lived as he died: a character I forgot about until you mentioned him.

He was a real person!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No way, it's clearly a Space Mutiny name

Deke Slayton, gimme a break

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Apologies because I'm just catching up on this show now after watching it all over the last two months, but does it seem strange to anyone else that the show dropped Piscotty and Sally Ride after season 2? They got a bunch of time in that season and it seems like a show where the original cast is mostly going to be aging out or dead by season 4 has an opportunity with these time jumps to keep developing younger characters over time... but while they're doing that with Aleida, Piscotty and Ride feel like a missed opportunity.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Weird that Piscotty isn't around, but they might have written out Ride because it's probably weird to write a real person into a fake scenario. At least with a biopic, you're writing from actual history and can get contemporary accounts of how someone reacted. But this show is entirely fake, so you have to make up how someone would react. And that leads to the situation where Deke Slayton says that Ellen being gay is gross. Would he have reacted that way? I don't know, but they wrote into the show that he, a real life person, doesn't like gay people. It's better to just not have real people as characters anymore.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

So after hearing about this show for a while, and being a big fan of the space race and alternate history, I finally got around to watching it and just finished catching up. Goddamn loved it, all seasons, and looking forward to Season 4. Going to miss Sonya Walger next season, Molly's probably my favorite character of the first seasons.

Given that they've already established resource exploitation on the moon and the focus on the rise of private spaceflight, I wonder if we're going to see asteroid mining as a plot in future seasons.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Almost certainly but I suspect it’ll be a background detail rather than a close up focus kinda like Helios mining helium.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Finally getting around to this, reached the end of S1E9, loved the accident, and drat is Al just a massive space rear end in a top hat right now. Dick move man, dick move.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We never saw a body, so no proof that Molly is really dead. They could start next season with Molly's fist bursting out of some rubble and then she slinks away while no one's looking.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pfft.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think this show started out pretty good, and then got really bad.

One big problem it has is that the 'naturalism vs drama' slider has gone all the way over to the 'ridiculous drama' end, poo poo is constantly exploding and breaking and people are fuckin up and going crazy all the time. Space Danger, like shootouts, hits a lot harder when it's not happening all the time.

The various Mars missions were a comedy of errors, I cannot even imagine crewed spaceflight continuing after this debacle. Why would anyone want to go to Mars more after the handpicked elite you sent up there crashed their ships, broke their drills, got pregnant, got held at gunpoint by North Koreans, etc etc. Ridiculous!

If you can watch this show you can watch Severance which is much better (though very different) science fiction.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

General Battuta posted:

If you can watch this show you can watch Severance which is much better (though very different) science fiction.

But what if I want to see alt-history Cold War stuff, and not the IT department in a capitalist 1984? :colbert:

I haven't actually watched Severance yet, don't hurt me :ohdear:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I have a couple hundred unread posts since the finale, did I miss an announcement about the show or is it all just variants of “I wish the show made the West more evil” and “the portrayal of communism is too negative for my liking?”

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Well there’s at least one very justified “this show is nuts and is losing its internal logical coherence in favour of uninteresting drama”, with which I agree.

I still like it though, nowhere else telling a somewhat optimistic story of how our species goes into space right now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

Well there’s at least one very justified “this show is nuts and is losing its internal logical coherence in favour of uninteresting drama”, with which I agree.

I still like it though, nowhere else telling a somewhat optimistic story of how our species goes into space right now.

Have you seen Moonhaven?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I have a couple hundred unread posts since the finale, did I miss an announcement about the show or is it all just variants of “I wish the show made the West more evil” and “the portrayal of communism is too negative for my liking?”

Ideology inna post amazing

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I hope the next season begins when Saudi royalty, desperate to protect their oil profits against fusion power, sponsor Osama Bin Laden's plan to crash space shuttles into the Moon.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 13, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

inventing posts to get mad at, great stuff

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I think this show started out pretty good, and then got really bad.

One big problem it has is that the 'naturalism vs drama' slider has gone all the way over to the 'ridiculous drama' end, poo poo is constantly exploding and breaking and people are fuckin up and going crazy all the time. Space Danger, like shootouts, hits a lot harder when it's not happening all the time.

The various Mars missions were a comedy of errors, I cannot even imagine crewed spaceflight continuing after this debacle. Why would anyone want to go to Mars more after the handpicked elite you sent up there crashed their ships, broke their drills, got pregnant, got held at gunpoint by North Koreans, etc etc. Ridiculous!

Completely agree. It feels like this show went from drama to soap opera this season.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I wish the show made the West more evil; the portrayal of communism is too negative for my liking.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

tokin opposition posted:

the portrayal of communism is too negative for my liking.

It's weirdly red-bashy, and teeing up the DPRK being the butt of the joke as tryhard silly little oriental juche missile men to be both mocked and pitied is particularly lazy worldbuilding in a world with a strong, extant USSR. Like, when you're doing alt-history, you can't just CTRL+C CTRL+V your preconceptions from our timeline-- at least take a cursory look at how your point of departure impacts stuff in the alt timeline more than the most immediate, direct way.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I liked the utter creative sloth of "the Oklahoma City bombing, but it's at NASA"

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Why do shows I don't enjoy keep getting renewed? Why not this show, a good show?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bananaquiter posted:

Why do shows I don't enjoy keep getting renewed? Why not this show, a good show?
This show keeps getting renewed, marching ever more towards “bad”

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

General Battuta posted:

I hope the next season begins when Saudi royalty, desperate to protect their oil profits against fusion power, sponsor Osama Bin Laden's plan to crash space shuttles into the Moon.

Al Quaeda never existed because the US never established military bases in KSA

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

I wish the show made the West more evil; the portrayal of communism is too negative for my liking.

This show is frustrating because the premise is solid and I personally believe it but the rest of it has powerful west wing boomer vibes which is extremely off-putting

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The third season just made me realize how much I’d rather be watching a well executed Kim Stanley Robinson Mars Trilogy series

But they’d probably gently caress that up worse than Foundation so maybe it’s for the best

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Season one was really incredible. A perfect balance of realism, historical fiction, and drama. The characters were realistic and all the space stuff felt risky and challenging. It was prestige TV but not to the point where it was huffing its own farts.

After that, it just morphed into your run-of-the-mill network TV show. Danny is some comic book villian, Karen goes from lonely housewife to billionaire girlboss, and Ed is your prototypical protagonist who "doesn't play by the rules". And the worst part is the space stuff sucks now. Deaths are now met with a shrug of the shoulders. There's shootouts on the moon, a silly race to Mars where one team releases a secret weapon at the last minute, and a pregnant woman being catapulted through space onto a ship.

I'll still watch for the same reason I watch other bad shows I initially liked, I want to see where it goes. But it sucks that what made it such a great show was cut to turn it into Grey's Anatomy in space.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

General Battuta posted:

I liked the utter creative sloth of "the Oklahoma City bombing, but it's at NASA"

"what if instead of the right wing white power wackadoos we actually have, we invented some wierdos that believe in absolute gibberish and there's only four of them and then they're all dead after the bomb blows up"

e: I mean I guess some people would call this "optimism" in storytelling, but

Tighclops posted:

This show is frustrating because the premise is solid and I personally believe it but the rest of it has powerful west wing boomer vibes which is extremely off-putting

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 13, 2022

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also the funniest part of season 3 was how they introduced the most generic Elon Musk character and gave him no depth or backstory. Then out of the blue at the end of the season he tells a story about his father being hosed over by NASA and forced to drive a taxi. It explains his mistrust of NASA, the government and why he was so passionate about Helios. A loving story that should have been told at the beginning of the season so the audience could actually have some emotional investment in the character. Nah, needed more scenes where Karen demands an office or the Stevens failkid's scooby doo adventures with moon truthers.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Also the funniest part of season 3 was how they introduced the most generic Elon Musk character and gave him no depth or backstory. Then out of the blue at the end of the season he tells a story about his father being hosed over by NASA and forced to drive a taxi. It explains his mistrust of NASA, the government and why he was so passionate about Helios. A loving story that should have been told at the beginning of the season so the audience could actually have some emotional investment in the character. Nah, needed more scenes where Karen demands an office or the Stevens failkid's scooby doo adventures with moon truthers.

this is kind of a trademark RDM thing.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Season 1: 9/10
Season 2: 6/10
Season 3: 5/10

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Koreonaut seemed like there was a plotline there that got axed for show time constraints. I liked that they swam Danny out to an island and left him there because nobody likes him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Season 4 opens with Gordo sitting up in his hospital bed (shared with Tracey) in the radiation ward with a gasp. The doctors and nurses quickly assure him everything is okay, they got them down from the moon, their sons are okay and mentally sound even if their old friend Karen is in a mental hospital after she had a psychotic break and convinced herself she slept with Danny even though he's been in Annapolis for over a year now. The year is 1984, Jimmy Carter is President, and will be welcoming new Soviet Premier Sergei Nikulov and his beautiful American wife Margo Madison to the White House where they will discuss plans for the joint US/Soviet mission to Mars.

Oh also Ellen's gay, but everybody's just cool with it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 14, 2022

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Just finished this season. Kinda hoping the next one just starts with news that Danny found the gun under the tire iron and killed himself, following by his 48 year old brother doing the same once he got the news.

Ed never finds out the dead wife he’s probably canonized in his head hosed the psycho because I think he’s been through enough at this point. Instead he’s teaching his grandson how to pilot The Right Way in a space jet he built himself that doesn’t have any untrustworthy computers or AIs or anything. Once he’s sure the kid is ready to live his own life, he takes the jet, flies it out of the Grey Havens and becomes the first man to set foot on Valinor.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

surprise ending twist that valinor already has a thriving enclave of brazilian expats

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Ellen remains a republican, because despite it all, she’s rich and there’s estate taxes to consider since has a failson of her own to worry about.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The republicans were right in this timeline and heterosexuality is now illegal

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
“Welcome to Mars, MISTER BIN LADEN”

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh gently caress they're going to do that. they're absolutely going to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Every Rambo up to VII will be dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan.