Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Looks more like sliced red cabbage to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

that has to be a Photoshop. this can't be real

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I like the color purple and all, but that is a bit much. Should have gone with a more muted shade. Oh and just having a regular floor and countertops, would make the cabinets stand out more.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Someone has been playing House Flipper a little too much.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Saint Freak posted:

Lol, I sent that picture to my wife and she found it immediately. Good news about the other side of the house:

https://www.compass.com/listing/723-cedar-creek-way-woodstock-ga-30189/1102162004897203761/
Hate when you mess up the lines on your cool S

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That kitchen looks delicious

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The floor is lava blueberry swirl

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ashcans posted:

The floor is lava blueberry swirl

the floor is guava

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Empty Sandwich posted:

the floor is guava

:pusheen:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Honey Grimace is butt scooting again

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

https://house.dwell.com/

Anyone want to add a designer, 540ft2 shed additional dwelling unit to their property?

All for the low, low sum of $400k.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arrath posted:

Anyone want to add a designer, 540ft2 shed additional dwelling unit to their property?

I've got a friend that works there. They literally crane them over houses into the backyards in SF. They tell a story about how this is going to fix the lack of housing inventory. It's completely nuts.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Empty Sandwich posted:

the floor is guava

Biblically Accurate Crappy Construction: the floor is guava

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Arrath posted:

:yossame:

lol the number just keeps going up they should do this for the interest payments

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Motronic posted:

I've got a friend that works there. They literally crane them over houses into the backyards in SF. They tell a story about how this is going to fix the lack of housing inventory. It's completely nuts.

ADU are one way to increase the housing supply; however, in order to do that the owner has to either rent them out or actually use them to house a relative who would otherwise be living on their own.

I suspect most are going to end up as guest houses that are empty 98% of the time. But they do let folks feel like they're contributing to the solution while also opposing denser housing in their neighborhoods.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

captkirk posted:

ADU are one way to increase the housing supply; however, in order to do that the owner has to either rent them out or actually use them to house a relative who would otherwise be living on their own.

I suspect most are going to end up as guest houses that are empty 98% of the time. But they do let folks feel like they're contributing to the solution while also opposing denser housing in their neighborhoods.

They are becoming home offices primarily. Maybe home office/guest house combos. Then you have the "nah mom, you can move here with us when you need help" rather than them moving out of the city.

None of this is fixing what their investor story time claims its fixing.

Nobody who 1.) currently lives in the city and 2.) can also afford something like this wants to or is financially required to rent their back yard to some rando.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Arrath posted:

It's nice, and I actually like it, but that number only makes sense in California metro areas. $400K buys you a lot of house here in TX still, and it's already connected to sewer, water, and power, something they conveniently leave out of the potential cost, there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

It's nice, and I actually like it, but that number only makes sense in California metro areas. $400K buys you a lot of house here in TX still, and it's already connected to sewer, water, and power, something they conveniently leave out of the potential cost, there.

What if a single wide trailer, but smaller, and disguised to avoid zoning regulations?

And you thought tech bros were only constantly reinventing the train and the bus!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

captkirk posted:

Also zoning has to allow them. The fundamental problem is that lots of people do not want to increase the housing supply.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Phanatic posted:

Also zoning has to allow them. The fundamental problem is that lots of people do not want to increase the housing supply.

When I built my garage, I was not permitted to run water service to the inside & install a connection to my sewer line because the township assumed that it would become a second dwelling on the lot. It isn't even possible to get a zoning variance to do it (I ran it anyway & never told them. I've never used the soil line, it's disconnected at both ends, but I have sillcocks on the outside of the garage).

So even if I wanted a tiny house/outside office in my yard that isn't a dry shed, it's not legal here (This is in Gloucester County, New Jersey).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

God forbid your garage have a hose bib or shop sink, huh.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dealing with my local zoning critters was quite the learning experience, especially because I did not take their advice & hire one of their buddies local contractors and instead designed & built it myself. So instead of accepting bribes &/or ghosting the job, they actually had to work.

Code folks can be very bitter people.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PainterofCrap posted:

Dealing with my local zoning critters was quite the learning experience, especially because I did not take their advice & hire one of their buddies local contractors and instead designed & built it myself. So instead of accepting bribes &/or ghosting the job, they actually had to work.

Code folks can be very bitter people.

They can also be pretty chill. My mother's late husband put on an unpermitted addition to his garage and then she went to sell the house. To a lawyer. Who pulled all the permits.

The code dude came out and was pretty much "put these outlets on a GFCI, I'll measure the slab thickness through this floor drain, and I don't do attics so if Cat Hatter measures the I-beam by the time I come back I'll take your word for it".

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
https://twitter.com/IJasonAlexander/status/1572241575094394882

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Winchester mystery tub

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I'm suddenly remembering the flooded lab in Half-Life 1 and I don't know why.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I know a small dog that once jumped from the tub to the counter and would have like some stairs to get back down.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Special seating for the cats to watch you in the tub.

Zil posted:

I like the color purple and all, but that is a bit much. Should have gone with a more muted shade. Oh and just having a regular floor and countertops, would make the cabinets stand out more.

Yeah if it was just the cabinets someone who loved the colour would still love it, but anyone who hated the colour would have the option to just repaint the cabinets if they otherwise like the house. But with the floor and counters making a change is going to be a pain in the rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoWHzq21tA

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 21, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

just repaint the cabinets

This is the kind of thing someone who's never painted cabinets properly would say.

It's a massive, time consuming pain in the rear end that requires a ton of space and time.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

To be fair, he didn't say repaint them properly. Just pull a landlord special and you're good to go!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

*Lets fly with popcorn gun*

Well, that didn’t take long at all!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Motronic posted:

This is the kind of thing someone who's never painted cabinets properly would say.

It's a massive, time consuming pain in the rear end that requires a ton of space and time.
Yes, but it's still like 2% of buying a house

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

*Lets fly with popcorn gun*

Well, that didn’t take long at all!

Instruction unclear, I used a shotcrete gun and the extra weight ripped the cabinets off the wall.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I started this process which was going to require sanding/stripping, and because I had access to a shop it ended up being less work to buy new wood and make doors from scratch.

re-painting cabinet doors, not even once.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

:yossame:

lol the number just keeps going up they should do this for the interest payments

new high score

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The first weekend after buying our house we took all the cabinet doors off in the kitchen, laid them all out in the basement workshop, and completely sealed the kitchen from the house. We were able to then sand everything and repaint.

I can’t imagine doing it now with stuff in the house and needing to use the kitchen.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Have refinished two kitchens worth of cabinets in the past 4 years (Proper full strip, then spray), can confirm, only do it if you're a poor.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The hurricane straps are incredible

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRapkuVj/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Motronic posted:

True, but we're talking about theoretical house buyers. If they like the house but don't care for the cabinet colour repainting cabinets seems achievable for the price of a bucket of paint and 3 points of sanity. If you aren't an experienced DYIer redoing the floors and countertops feels like a much bigger project then painting.