Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Sometimes I wish for an alternate timeline where James was the lead singer instead of Billy. Sure James has his own record, but it doesn't really work for me. But The Boy, Go, and Said Sadly are all timers for me, like I'd probably put Said Sadly as a top 5 overall SP song.

Have we ever heard James on a loud track, vocally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Blew Away

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
James' voice is kinda thin, it gets lost easily in the big loud stuff. I also suspect it's just not really his jam.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Billy's voice is a huge part though or it's not the same band. Same with like Rush, Mercyful Fate/King Diamond, Primus to name a few. A lot of bands you can kinda shoehorn anyone in but not here. I got to speak with Les Claypool in a Q+A a couple weeks back for their tour doing "A Farewell to Kings" in its entirety and he told me the hardest part wasn't learning the music - they all nailed it but it was singing similar to Geddy which stumped him. His regular singing voice just didn't really fit too well and he had to emulate it as best he could.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I wasn't trying to say I have a problem with Billy's voice, I just wanted to think about an Iha led band with SP music instead of Iha music I guess

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I wasn't trying to say I have a problem with Billy's voice, I just wanted to think about an Iha led band with SP music instead of Iha music I guess

I'm with you, though I have no idea how the loud tracks would work.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You can listen to the back half of Blew Away for that. The result is you never really hearing his voice during the loud parts. I like James' voice, but it is thin and disappears in a busy mix. Say what you will about Billy's voice, it cuts through at least.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's James on Zero's solo, he used the Whammy and a preset on I think some old Line6 unit called "Cyberman" or something lol

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ohhhh boy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's this supposed to be, a new album? Live show?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What's this supposed to be, a new album? Live show?

No idea, it was just cryptically posted on social media.

Knowing Billy, an announcement for another announcement for something he might announce to do.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Framboise posted:

No idea, it was just cryptically posted on social media.

Knowing Billy, an announcement for another announcement for something he might announce to do.

Announcement for the teaser trailer of a side project mini-album of drone music inspired by a stained glass window.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It's the next teargarden installment

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's got a new typeset and design style so I'm guessing it's related to new material, not a tour announcement. It's also pretty late so I'm guessing it's not an album announcement; they'd want to hit the news cycles for that. I'm assuming it's a new single.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Whatever it is I'm sure it will be extremely embarrassing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Whatever it is I'm sure it will be extremely embarrassing.

My genuine hope is for a single that sounds like something from Machina or before, but... my expectations?

:negative:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I just realized Billy's podcast debuts the next morning, so either it's something incredibly, profoundly embarrassing like a preview of his podcast or it's new material they will discuss on the podcast which will also almost certainly be incredibly, profoundly embarrassing

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The new single is debuting on the 19th for the Mellon Collie/Machina Sequel. Q101 has been promoting it for the last week.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Isn't saying that Billy Corgan will do something embarrassing like saying "the roulette ball will land somewhere?"

It's not a prediction - it's his calling card.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Isn't saying that Billy Corgan will do something embarrassing like saying "the roulette ball will land somewhere?"

It's not a prediction - it's his calling card.

Man, before 2000, this would be an unheard of opinion.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Zwan, I think the first really 'embarrassing' thing he'd done, at least publicly, was when he took out that newspaper ad saying that he wanted his band back.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Zwan, I think the first really 'embarrassing' thing he'd done, at least publicly, was when he took out that newspaper ad saying that he wanted his band back.

Billy Corgan has always been embarrassing. He's just been endearingly so. Everything he does is inherently ridiculous, but that's why it works.

Do I need to pull out the video of him interviewing Nick Cave?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Blinking With Fists tho

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Billy Corgan has always been embarrassing. He's just been endearingly so. Everything he does is inherently ridiculous, but that's why it works.

Yeah true, I guess the newspaper ad was the first time I personally noticed something, as it's happening, and gone 'wait, wtf?'

Also, I want that Kim Thayill story to be true so much. So very much. It would heal me. Right here in my heart.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

I mean, it hasn't worked for quite a while now.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
The new album is called ATUM and will be released on 4/21/2023.

https://madamezuzus.com/collections...source=omnisend

Bummed that this probably means we won't see the Machina re-release for at least another year.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The bar is on the ground after Cyr, but I heard a leaked track earlier that sounded promising.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I haven't been able to find the live stream (apparently it's tiktok exclusive and I guess you have to be logged in to view it?) but apparently it's for a song called "beguiled." They also put the first two tracks out earlier today accidentally, an instrumental called Atum (pronounced "autumn") and an extremely CYR sounding track called Butterfly Suite.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The new album is called ATUM and will be released on 4/21/2023.

https://madamezuzus.com/collections...source=omnisend

Bummed that this probably means we won't see the Machina re-release for at least another year.

Yes, please Billy, let me preorder a box set for an album I haven't heard a note of. :allears:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Saw this on Reddit. Apparently THIS is the Mellon Collie/Machina sequel that Billy has been hyping all this time.

If this is even close to as good as either of those, I'll forgive everything else made post-reunion.

From what I've heard so far though... lol, lmao

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just a reminder, Monuments To An Elegy was his sequel to SD. You can hear it, right? The static drum machines, occasionally replaced by Tommy Lee of all people. Why heck, Being Beige is basically just Geek USA!

So yeah, take that with an enormous grain of salt. "Sequel to MCIS and Machina" might just mean that it tells a story and is a double album, it might just mean he was in a similar headspace, it might just mean he wanted it to sound maximalist. Billy likes to say things and it's possible that sometimes the things he says make sense to him.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Mellon Collie and Machina are two completely different albums what the gently caress even is a "sequel" to both of them?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ballz posted:

Mellon Collie and Machina are two completely different albums what the gently caress even is a "sequel" to both of them?

They are the last two albums with Jimmy and James both in the lineup, and the last time Billy was culturally relevant. He's hoping he can "the secret" that second part into being true again

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Surely he has to put out the Machina reissue before then, right? RIGHT?!

The wait has been absurd considering how long it's supposedly been finished for. I vaguely recall someone mentioning that they may be waiting to press enough vinyls for the release but at this point why not just get the reissue out and let everyone know vinyls will be coming as soon as they're ready?

7 months until the new album. Come on Billy get the Machina reissue out before Christmas :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

33 tracks is a lot, even for a B-sides/compilation/rarities cash grab release.

Pitchfork linked the first official single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nls-ddxfAAE

The riff reminds me of the younger brother to "Where Boys Fear to Tread" that is perfectly fine with staying in the parent's basement working at a CBD shop. Those hand claps though. Ooof.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's wrestling music, alright

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The mix on the drums sounds so bad. Riff is kinda weak too - no fuzz or oomph. Maybe it'll play better live but not off to a good start.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

There's something lost in this track that was ever-present in MCIS' music, and (to a lesser degree) Machina's. I don't know what it is... humility? I can't put my finger on it, but MCIS was 'we're loud and have something to say and cry about but we'll just chill out in this corner and be somewhat modest'.

It feels like, Zeitgeist-onward, everything is just so blatant. I don't know how the new album will stack up, I can only judge this single, but so far it tracks.

I'm likely using the wrong words, maybe someone else can better explain what I'm trying to get at. It's not just his voice being front and centre but it also feels like SP now sounds or makes music like any other band in the same genre would. That didn't used to happen at all.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

There's something lost in this track that was ever-present in MCIS' music, and (to a lesser degree) Machina's. I don't know what it is... humility? I can't put my finger on it, but MCIS was 'we're loud and have something to say and cry about but we'll just chill out in this corner and be somewhat modest'.

It feels like, Zeitgeist-onward, everything is just so blatant. I don't know how the new album will stack up, I can only judge this single, but so far it tracks.

I'm likely using the wrong words, maybe someone else can better explain what I'm trying to get at. It's not just his voice being front and centre but it also feels like SP now sounds or makes music like any other band in the same genre would. That didn't used to happen at all.

This sounds frankly like a demo instead of a finished track. Like when you listen to pre-breakup stuff everything is so dense, layered and overdubbed. It's why listening to Siamese Dream or MCIS in a high def/high end equipment is such a joy because there is so much that just gets lost otherwise.

Listening to this it is just very simple in every way. Even at the point where you expect it to kick in and go it does so very modestly instead of the wall of sound and fury that you used to get. Now a lot of that is likely down to production which I believe this is another Billy produced record and it shows.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The guitars are real weirdly low in the mix. I almost don't mind the drum sound, but I think there's some samples getting triggered in there or Jimmy's playing against a midi track or something. But yeah, the guitars need to be stronger in that mix.

edit also it's just kind of a lifeless performance, weirdly enough it sounds like a bunch of guys coming up on 60 who are tired as poo poo and just want to eat some plant-based meatball grinders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Billy just forgot to take the pedal he was demoing here back home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osbnob9ih-c