Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fedule posted:

Think there's much point in making a writeup of Salmon Run strats, with sections for each stage, special event, and weapon, and general stuff? On the one hand I feel like I could do it. On the other hand I'm not sure what the intersection between readers itt who would care about that stuff and readers itt who aren't already figuring it out or finding it elsewhere is.

yeah! i prefer reading to videos usually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

GhostOfTomNook posted:

So very happy that this Splatoon lets me skip the news.

On one hand, yeah it's more convenient, on other hand, we miss more interesting banter between hosts that further fleshes them out.

Fedule posted:

Think there's much point in making a writeup of Salmon Run strats, with sections for each stage, special event, and weapon, and general stuff? On the one hand I feel like I could do it. On the other hand I'm not sure what the intersection between readers itt who would care about that stuff and readers itt who aren't already figuring it out or finding it elsewhere is.

Meanwhile,

What's the deal with rank-up battles, exactly? It seems to be the same as an ordinary series battle, except instead of win 5 or lose 3 it's win 3 or lose 3, but I guess other than the special prize for me if I win there's no difference to me or anyone else between this and series battle? I like the idea of a special rank up event but it seems kind of weird next to all the other ranking systems in the game. Oh well. I'm A-rank now (after starting at B thanks to nepotism importing save data).

App says my 5-minute average is 12.1 kills, 4.4 assists, 8.0 deaths and 2.6 wave breakers. I'm 22 for 23. Seems I am just barely okay at video games.

Also,

What's the deal with team XP/money boosting food? I've only ever seen one boost applied to my stats after a game. Do they stack? I know you can only personally have one active at a time but if I've got 2x XP and a teammate has 2x money do we all get 2x XP and 2x money? If we both have 2x XP do we get 4x? (I assume not, that could get silly) Is there any way to tell if a teammate is multiplying your stuff? If everyone in the party has 2x XP and they don't stack is it 3/4 wasted?

1. The food boosts your exp of mons gain depending on the variant. First tier is a 1.5 boost to you, Second tier is x2 boost to you, Third tier is x2 to you and everyone else in your team.

2. Not sure if they stack. Would actually be quite surprised, but maybe they do?

3. Not sure how the splits happen in such an event and it's a very good question.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I was sad when we lost another Splatoon celeb: Winey Splathouse

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Relyssa posted:

God help me my touhou-addled brain wants to go for it just so I can have THE STRONGEST as a title option

The fastest way to level up is baby jelly Level 3 for about 50- 70 hours of play.

:stonklol:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Do note if you want all the rewards, it's best to beat the important NPCs 30 times each as they reward you with a card backing upon doing so. Granted doing that for all NPCs would get you well beyond level 50 even if you were to never lose.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah, there are 15 unlockable sleeves via that method, and each one takes 36 battles to complete (3 to unlock Rank 2, 3 to unlock Rank 3, and 30 to unlock the sleeve) for a total of 540 matches. I think each win is just 130 points, so a total of 70200 experience to unlock every sleeve and only ~60k is needed.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

No loving thank you

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m going to quit my job and do this.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEQNL4wBb4k

tl;dr, special power up sucks on most specials, kinda good on killer wail and debatably tacticooler

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Yep. This is why I stopped at thirty for the emote. It's mind numbing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I am laughing so hard at Mahi Mahi clams. How did this map get the stamp of approval? It's a beautiful fustercluck. :stonk:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

folks i've thought about this long and hard and i've finally built up enough confidence to say: splatoon is good

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My friends and I are really enjoying it. Now that there’s a proper party system I finally have a competitive multiplayer game we can hit up when I’m out of town.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Unhappy Meal posted:

Yep. This is why I stopped at thirty for the emote. It's mind numbing.

That's probably where I'm going to tap out as well. The banner you get at 25 is better than any of the others from tableturf anyway.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

IronicDongz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEQNL4wBb4k

tl;dr, special power up sucks on most specials, kinda good on killer wail and debatably tacticooler

Yeah, and even then you prefer special charge up on tacticooler since getting in a extra use of it in a game is going to be way more useful than going from 15 seconds to 22 at best.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

My all-purpose build is likely going to be (1 main 3 sub for everything) ink saver main, ink saver sub, and maybe run speed up? I tend to gravitate toward the heavier weapons, but I'm not sure if that last slot would be better served with like... special charge up or some such.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Meeko posted:

Yeah, and even then you prefer special charge up on tacticooler since getting in a extra use of it in a game is going to be way more useful than going from 15 seconds to 22 at best.

I run 2 main charge 1 main power on my nzap.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's incomprehensible to me that the "[weapon] user" titles come through random chance instead of being unlocked by raising the star rankings on weapons. Doing that gets me a sticker to put on my locker, but not a badge for my splashtag?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Nephzinho posted:

I run 2 main charge 1 main power on my nzap.

But there isn't main power in this game? Not that I saw

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Alxprit posted:

But there isn't main power in this game? Not that I saw

Neph is talking about the main slot in gear, as opposed to the smaller secondary ones that fill up with experience

E: special charge, and special power for the abilities

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fedule posted:

It's incomprehensible to me that the "[weapon] user" titles come through random chance instead of being unlocked by raising the star rankings on weapons. Doing that gets me a sticker to put on my locker, but not a badge for my splashtag?

But the 4* sticker is shiny!

What do you get for 5*, anyways? I hope it’s not underwhelming.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Escobarbarian posted:

But the 4* sticker is shiny!

What do you get for 5*, anyways? I hope it’s not underwhelming.

Holo sticker should be the 3* and 4* & 5* Should be the badges.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I played the coin op ball prize thing last night and got 10 of every chunk in 1 go (140 total).

Is that normal? I was like holy poo poo.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

that was the very first roll I got from the machine. It was so good that I thought it was a guaranteed kinda thing that the game gives on everyone's first roll and then never again to get them hooked

really want to get that again so I can make my perfect gear

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

does anyone else get weirdly accepting when they get splatted by someone using one of their favorite weapons?

like, hell yeah you got me there, doing the motherland proud! your ultimate placement could use some work tho btw, but you used my baby's strengths to their fullest extent

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Rolo posted:

I played the coin op ball prize thing last night and got 10 of every chunk in 1 go (140 total).

Is that normal? I was like holy poo poo.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

that was the very first roll I got from the machine. It was so good that I thought it was a guaranteed kinda thing that the game gives on everyone's first roll and then never again to get them hooked

really want to get that again so I can make my perfect gear

What the gently caress the most I've gotten out of it is 4 chunks of one ability. Where's my chunk windfall? :argh:

catgirlgenius posted:

does anyone else get weirdly accepting when they get splatted by someone using one of their favorite weapons?

like, hell yeah you got me there, doing the motherland proud.

"Ah yes, another Splash-o-matic enjoyer. Carry on, comrade."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also got 10 of every chunk in one of my first rolls and then never again

Mummy Napkin
Mar 18, 2018
Why does the ultra stamp hit box have to be so whack? Popping it on my beloved mini splatling just gets me killed usually.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

The stamp got nerfed super hard from splatoon 2 so now the safest way to use it is to throw it immediately. Trying to stamp with it will almost certainly get you killed

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

catgirlgenius posted:

like, hell yeah you got me there, doing the motherland proud! your ultimate placement could use some work tho btw, but you used my baby's strengths to their fullest extent

“Oh good, I don’t pick back weapons, I’m just not good” I unironically tell myself whenever killed with the brush.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Unhappy Meal posted:

Holo sticker should be the 3* and 4* & 5* Should be the badges.

Just got to 3 so I’m *checks notes* nearly halfway to getting a badge.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ugh the H-3 Nozzlenose just does not jive with me. The rhythm is just slow enough that I can't quite manage to be consistent.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's at least good and smart that they put the licenses right up front. If you really focused on getting those one-star licenses you could get all the weapons unlocked pretty early.

(If you count every license you earn from freshness as paying for the weapon itself, then all your level-up licenses are free to work backward on the list, and every 3 levels you can unlock the last weapon on the list ahead of schedule. Working from both directions, you could have every weapon unlocked around level 21. If like, that was a thing your brain suddenly made you want to do...)

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I just now noticed that there's a bin in the grizzco firing range where you can grab the different weapons in rotation.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Relyssa posted:

Ugh the H-3 Nozzlenose just does not jive with me. The rhythm is just slow enough that I can't quite manage to be consistent.

Yeah, I really hate using that weapon. I feel like I miss shots all the time because I just can't get the timing down.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So how tf are you supposed to fight the big bubble? There doesn't seem to be any recourse except to hang back until it goes away and hope it's not blocking anything important. Putting that thing up on the Tower should be illegal.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I mean, it does have health and you can shoot the nub on top to make it die quicker.

This is probably cold comfort when you're facing concentrated fire from the enemy team while you're trying to kill it, though.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Do I lose my xp boost tickets of the other team keeps disconnecting and the round didn't count?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 20, 2022

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

PageMaster posted:

Do I lose my xp boost tickets of the other team keeps disconnecting and the round didn't count?

If the message pops up saying it won't count as a loss, I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fedule posted:

So how tf are you supposed to fight the big bubble? There doesn't seem to be any recourse except to hang back until it goes away and hope it's not blocking anything important. Putting that thing up on the Tower should be illegal.

Hit the top nub or run it down destroying the central piece. Most weapons thatnrun it are short range so it's possible to chase people in and out and if you have a long range weapon like the pro, you can pick it off.