Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The M20 one has a sword in the art, while the Khan's does not. Does Ignacio treat the Khan's edition of the card as containing the M20 art?

Do we have an indication why it would? The card can only be from one set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Problem would be that, in the case of cards like:

The M20 one has a sword in the art, while the Khan's does not. Does Ignacio treat the Khan's edition of the card as containing the M20 art?

I mean, in the end, it's academic, because he's got an Acorn symbol and is therefore unlikely to ever see play outside of Unfinity draft, but...

One of these will get you 2 treasures and one won't. Its that simple. Stop overthinking it

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Fuckin rules lawyer over here stuffing three cards with same name different arts in a single sleeve, claiming it's worth 6 treasures

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ignacio would make for an interesting twist on Cheerios imo

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Kinda wish they hadn't let these cards be ambiguously legal in other formats. People are likely just gonna care about the shock box toppers anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

poorlywrittennovel posted:

Man, this is one of the worst cases of "clearly designed for Commander, but fundamentally misunderstands what makes Commander fun" cards they've ever designed. Like it's pretty clear it's for a hugbox deck, but the actual battle zones mechanic is going to be miserable to track in paper. As someone that basically only plays Commander, I really wish they'd stop forcing it into every product they release anymore. Take a year off and do some new Planechase or something.

Nobody is going to play that card, but also... just put things in 3 different spots?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody is going to play that card, but also... just put things in 3 different spots?
it's so that money-grubbing wotzy can sell officially branded space rulers to separate the zones

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Devor posted:

Do we have an indication why it would? The card can only be from one set.

The problem of art based mechanics is ambiguity. "That guy in the background clearly is a human with a sword, not a goblin with a knife"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Simply Simon posted:

Fuckin rules lawyer over here stuffing three cards with same name different arts in a single sleeve, claiming it's worth 6 treasures

Ah, so you lost to my double sleeved cheaty-face deck too?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Ah, so you lost to my double sleeved cheaty-face deck too?
my post came entirely from a point of admiration

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Someone let me know which un card is now a modern staple tia

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kashuno posted:

None of them because they're not modern-legal. Topic LOcked

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm guessing they're going to try to make sure all the non-acorn cards, especially the weird fiddly ones, kinda suck so they don't show up in tournaments. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two slipped through though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm guessing they're going to try to make sure all the non-acorn cards, especially the weird fiddly ones, kinda suck so they don't show up in tournaments. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two slipped through though.

They said the sticker cards will mostly be legal and also not pushed

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Kashuno posted:

I mean none are, just vintage and legacy. Joke answer: the shocks.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Nergigante posted:

None of them because they're not modern-legal. Topic LOcked

fine I will play space jace in Vintage where he belongs!!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

The guy who manifests spells could probably be good in Commander, but they're not worried about tournaments there I guess.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

https://twitter.com/Oritart/status/1572194049347690496?t=Ljbei1IWhnwzjLAREecfEg&s=19

There's still time to reverse the decision to make these eternal legal I hope

What about this card represents Jace exactly?

Please don't disrespect the storyline. You may not care but others do.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
jace rhymes with space

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm escaping with the one Planeswalker that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism.... JACE.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ultima66 posted:

it sucks

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Can you divide the board horizontally? Into squares that segregate commander opponents together. Can divided sectors overlap? Don't think this would have any advantage but shits and giggles.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MasterBuilder posted:

Can you divide the board horizontally? Into squares that segregate commander opponents together. Can divided sectors overlap? Don't think this would have any advantage but shits and giggles.

What

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Is this legacy legal? I can't remember how they told us to tell them apart.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Huxley posted:

Is this legacy legal? I can't remember how they told us to tell them apart.

Nope.

Acorn shaped holofoil = fun zone only

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LifeLynx posted:

https://twitter.com/Oritart/status/1572194049347690496?t=Ljbei1IWhnwzjLAREecfEg&s=19

There's still time to reverse the decision to make these eternal legal I hope

I appreciate that they took the additional step to make sure SpJace is completely unplayable outside of limited by making him give opposing creatures counters, for no reason.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Jesus Christ standard is loving miserable. It gets worse with literally every set lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Toshimo posted:

I appreciate that they took the additional step to make sure SpJace is completely unplayable outside of limited by making him give opposing creatures counters, for no reason.
What do you mean, no reason? They're in the same sector

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Feels like most of Space Jace's relevance will be playing him in limited and using his +1 to break a ground stall

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Ultima66 posted:

Please don't disrespect the storyline. You may not care but others do.

uhh, nothing, that's CLEARLY his cousin SPACE Belaren

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Imagine a battlefield as seen in arena or mtgo, you could divide it vertically so it basically becomes Artifact. But space Jace doesn't specify any restrictions in the division of the battlefield. So could you not say sector A is my side of the battlefield, sector B is your side and sector C is on the other side of the country separating the Atlantic ocean.

Or is each players half of the battlefield more of an imaginary line for clarity?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

what

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

MasterBuilder posted:

Imagine a battlefield as seen in arena or mtgo, you could divide it vertically so it basically becomes Artifact. But space Jace doesn't specify any restrictions in the division of the battlefield. So could you not say sector A is my side of the battlefield, sector B is your side and sector C is on the other side of the country separating the Atlantic ocean.

Or is each players half of the battlefield more of an imaginary line for clarity?

Alpha Beta and Gamma are attributes that each permanent gets. The idea of arranging them is solely for your convenience and shorthand for tracking. You can't change the sector by physically moving a card

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

MasterBuilder posted:

you're not dividing the battlefield, spaceman spiff is. creatures attack players/planeswalkers anyway, what sector they're in doesn't matter

or should i be imagining 4 sectors on the edge of a cliff?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

MasterBuilder posted:

what you actually do is assign numbers 1 to 3 to creatures and those are pointers to the sectors

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Boo.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

What if you arranged your cards in a pyramid. What if you made them float a foot over the table. What if you swallowed your entire board. How is Spacejace supposed to work then, huh, smartass designer? Bitch

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Time to make scryfall an official rules adjudicator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mtggoldfish/status/1572256017869864961?s=46&t=qOpm5VGs-5mXIlcCQfriBQ

They put 4/2 and 6/9 on the same sticker sheet, that’s pretty good