Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kalit posted:

Do you not think this opens the door for convicted felons too? IANAL, but if something is a fundamental right, it sounds like it could be argue that everyone should have it.

Also, I assume this opens the door for those indicted for domestic violence. Which, IMO, is very scary because I would guess there’s a much lower conviction rates for those who are guilty of it…

No, because felony convictions are grounds for forfeiture of rights, see: imprisonment, loss of voting rights, etc.

The difference is an indictment is only a formal accusation.

edit: Without reading the decision my immediate question is how this doesn't fall under the same category as pre-trial detainment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jarmak posted:

edit: Without reading the decision my immediate question is how this doesn't fall under the same category as pre-trial detainment.

If the rule of law was still a thing, my guess would be that pretrial detainment is generally determined by a judge instead of a blanket law, so the judge could probably still order that the accused be not allowed access to guns for the duration of trial.

But that assumes anything matters anymore.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
It's because the Judge is using the standard set under Breun by the Supreme Court earlier this year that applies the 14th amendment specifically to include consideration of the second amendment.

There is no fundamental right to never be detained for any reason. Bruen says that courts have to take into consideration whether a law prevents a law-abiding citizen (i.e. one without a conviction) from exercising their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
The judge seems correct in this ruling, honestly? It's one thing if it's a conviction or even set as a term of pretrial detainment by a judge, but as a blanket law based on indictment it seems real bad. Imagine I put a note in here about indicting a ham sandwich.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kalit posted:

Do you not think this opens the door for convicted felons too? IANAL, but if something is a fundamental right, it sounds like it could be argue that everyone should have it.

Also, I assume this opens the door for those indicted for domestic violence. Which, IMO, is very scary because I would guess there’s a much lower conviction rates for those who are guilty of it…

The supreme court can do whatever it wants, obviously. Right now they have currently called out felons very specifically as a group, as not having this right. Maybe they will change their mind in 2023.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

shimmy shimmy posted:

The judge seems correct in this ruling, honestly? It's one thing if it's a conviction or even set as a term of pretrial detainment by a judge, but as a blanket law based on indictment it seems real bad. Imagine I put a note in here about indicting a ham sandwich.

The law stopped you from buying new guns while you were under indictment, but it didn't ban you from owning your existing guns or anything.

The judge is probably correct based on the Supreme Court ruling earlier this year, but he had leeway to determine whether "not purchasing a new gun, but being able to keep previous guns until the court case is over" counted as a fundamental violation of a constitutional right or not.

The practical impact will be pretty minimal, but from an empirical/results perspective, it's hard to see how "a couple people might die because of this" outweighs "some people might not be able tp purchase a new gun for 1 to 4 months" in terms of negative results for society.

But, the judge specifically says in their ruling that the Supreme Court ruled that the 2nd amendment is as important as the others, so they can't pass laws "balancing" taking rights away for the accused vs empirical good because it is a fundamental right - even if there were a massive public safety issue around it. The judge didn't have to go quite as far as he did, but he is working within the framework of what the Supreme Court ruled. It's a Supreme Court issue rather than this particular judge issue.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 20, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So DeSantis is almost certainly doing the same stunt again, but this time with Delaware

https://twitter.com/dwuhlfelderlaw/status/1572191380109406208?s=46&t=fe2V0R-nVC_P5tRCQXL5lA

https://twitter.com/h_edelman/status/1572210394025889792?s=46&t=fe2V0R-nVC_P5tRCQXL5lA

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 20, 2022

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

There's got to be some federal lever to make this stop. Can like the FAA ground the plane he's using or something? US Marshals arrest the pilots when they land? Any even token resistance? I know the final answer is probably going to be "in a 6-3 decision, Kavanaugh holds that human trafficking to own the libs is a 1st amendment right" but there's gotta be something they can do right

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah I'd assume that it would be pretty easy to meet the plane on the tarmac with a few federal agents and arrest anyone immediately responsible for hauling immigrants around illegally

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
This poo poo seems like stuff that makes the base happy but anyone else finds tacky at best.

maybe the republicans don't really need more middle of the road conservatives and maybe they'd vote for people like desantis anyways, but it all just feels like a weird stunt that doesn't really move the needle in your favor in any way

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

There's got to be some federal lever to make this stop. Can like the FAA ground the plane he's using or something? US Marshals arrest the pilots when they land? Any even token resistance? I know the final answer is probably going to be "in a 6-3 decision, Kavanaugh holds that human trafficking to own the libs is a 1st amendment right" but there's gotta be something they can do right

I expect that the federal government has the ability to stop federal crimes from happening in federal jurisdictions. Let's see if they do!

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Levitate posted:

This poo poo seems like stuff that makes the base happy but anyone else finds tacky at best.

maybe the republicans don't really need more middle of the road conservatives and maybe they'd vote for people like desantis anyways, but it all just feels like a weird stunt that doesn't really move the needle in your favor in any way

These stunts suck up airtime and are better for the GOP than the ongoing abortion ban consequences.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

I mean there is a clear constitutional violation of states enforcing, by definition, federal authority stuff unless there are contracts/MOU's in place.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
At this point it seems like proud human trafficker Ron de Santis is just waiting to piss off the wrong person.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

At this point it seems like proud human trafficker Ron de Santis is just waiting to piss off the wrong person.

To your point, if Biden really wants to push this, Ron DeSantis has probably opened a lot of his donors up to investigation and all it takes is one to make an example of (legally).

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I've been searching for a quote or clip, but have Biden or Garland said anything publicly about the flights? I guess I'd feel better even if it didn't have an action plan if someone in the prosecuting federal crimes command structure said "Hey yeah we're not going to allow this we're doing X" or even just that first bit

E: per Fox News (I know), his response:

pres Biden posted:

President Biden called on Republican governors Thursday to stop sending migrants into Democratic cities and communities, calling such actions "political stunts" and "un-American."

During an address at the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute gala, Biden accused Republicans of "playing politics" and using migrants as "props" after dozens of migrants were sent to Martha’s Vineyard in Massachusetts and to Vice President Kamala Harris’ residence in Washington, D.C.

"Republicans are playing politics with human beings, using them as props. What they’re doing is simply wrong, it’s un-American, it’s reckless," Biden said Thursday.

"We have a process in place to manage migrants at the border," the president added. "We're working to make sure it's safe and orderly and humane. Republican officials should not interfere with that process by waging a politically political stance."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-says-republicans-playing-politics-after-transporting-migrants-marthas-vineyard-vps-home

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 20, 2022

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'll not sure they want the schools to be excellent, either. It seems like an uneducated populous has been an unstated goal for decades.

Book learning lets the devil in.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Not sure if this made the thread yet, but migrants were also flown from Texas to Sacramento under false pretenses. It seems like this has been a pretty widespread thing, and people should absolutely go to jail over it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is the dumbest poo poo because it's such an easy messaging victory for Biden. If I was in charge of his appearance schedule, I'd say he should meet them on the tarmac when they land for a photo op. It won't happen but it would be such an easy win.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo because it's such an easy messaging victory for Biden. If I was in charge of his appearance schedule, I'd say he should meet them on the tarmac when they land for a photo op. It won't happen but it would be such an easy win.

It does seem like something that would make more sense ahead of the primary than the general. The redhats have been talking about doing this for over a decade of course, but I don't think we're yet at the point where it sits right with the general electorate, at least while such a thing still exists.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

They can have people at the very obvious destination of that plane ready to provide services and aid, and also to interview the migrants as part of the investigation.

Other than that, there isn't really any pressing legal justification for halting the planes or arresting the pilots, unless they find evidence that Abbott is gonna throw the asylum-seekers out the side door 20,000 feet up. It's a pain for both the asylum-seekers and the people who have to scramble to arrange services for them, but it's not an "arrest them preemptively without a warrant or court order" level of irreparable injury.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

KillHour posted:

It's an issue for Biden, to Biden voters.

For DeSantis, it's also a win, no matter what.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

It's an issue for Biden, to Biden voters.

For DeSantis, it's also a win, no matter what.

Is it? Do you really want to energize the other party's base right before an election, when you know that low-turnout races are what gives you an advantage?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

KillHour posted:

I dunno, don't underestimate that squishy middle of voters who don't like Trump but are breathlessly worried about illegal immigrants. Anecdotally, my parents, who on most issues trend left-ish and wanted Bernie to win, were briefly snookered by CNN blasting poo poo nonstop about crises at the border and bought into the whole "well they're BREAKING THE LAW" thing for a while until we talked about it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

They can have people at the very obvious destination of that plane ready to provide services and aid, and also to interview the migrants as part of the investigation.

Other than that, there isn't really any pressing legal justification for halting the planes or arresting the pilots, unless they find evidence that Abbott is gonna throw the asylum-seekers out the side door 20,000 feet up. It's a pain for both the asylum-seekers and the people who have to scramble to arrange services for them, but it's not an "arrest them preemptively without a warrant or court order" level of irreparable injury.

Yeah I guess you're right, its just kinda irritating/discouraging that Abbott and DeSantis and their pals just get to Do Whatever and brag about it on TV and say they'll do it over and over and all the magas at my work get to taunt me about it and there's nothing I can point to besides Biden at a Hispanic Rights dinner asking them to maybe knock it off instead of having some sort of like actual response. He didn't even say we'd have social services waiting on the tarmac like you suggested!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
New York and Delaware should buy a one-way ticket to Florida for anyone caught with a gun

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

KillHour posted:

Is it? Do you really want to energize the other party's base right before an election, when you know that low-turnout races are what gives you an advantage?

The idea in politics is you energize your own base, more than the other guy energizes his.

The chuds love this poo poo and it 100% doesn't matter to them what actually happens, it's still going to play to them as if Biden is shocked and dismayed as his immigration chickens come home to roost, no matter how he responds.

They already have convinced themselves that's what happened in marthas vineyard. This is just an amped up Election Migrant Caravan. Whether or not there's an actual migrant caravan is irrelevant.

Hopefully Biden can amp up Democratic voters over this and abortion.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

haveblue posted:

New York and Delaware should buy a one-way ticket to Florida for anyone caught with a gun

Free florida vacation travel for anyone packing? Sold!

It's kinda hard to "deport" anyone in the US since y'know, freedom of movement.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

The idea in politics is you energize your own base, more than the other guy energizes his.

The chuds love this poo poo and it 100% doesn't matter to them what actually happens, it's still going to play to them as if Biden is shocked and dismayed as his immigration chickens come home to roost, no matter how he responds.

They already have convinced themselves that's what happened in marthas vineyard. This is just an amped up Election Migrant Caravan. Whether or not there's an actual migrant caravan is irrelevant.

Hopefully Biden can amp up Democratic voters over this and abortion.

Yeah this is my experience. The flight to Martha’s Vineyard was a huge win and the police [or someone?] are forcing Vineyards residents to let the migrants camp in their front yards, per the 300 pound idiot at my work. The fact that this does not appear to have happened is, as always, irrelevant. He heard it on TruthSocial or whatever so it became true, and I became owned

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So in the Trump documents case, he's got the special master now, and the special master asked them to tell us if he declassified any of the documents, and they say "nuh uh we don't want to say if we declassified anything because that will damage his criminal defense."

Why are they trying to keep the waters murky regarding declassification? If he's gonna say it's fine that he had them because they were all declassified, then how does it hurt him to say that now? I've heard people online saying "well, if he says these 10 documents were declassified, then he's admitting the others weren't" but why can't he just say "yeah they're all declassified"?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The actual potential crime would be leading them there under false pretenses with a promise of financial gain. It seems that might have happened, but it's also not totally clear what was said/promised/what the migrants understood from the information that is public.

Otherwise, giving someone a plane ride for free that they voluntary accept is not actually a crime. It's just a huge dick move to do it to people who are waiting for an asylum review and may not really 100% know what it is going on. Especially since they are dumping them without any warning to the other jurisdictions.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phenotype posted:

So in the Trump documents case, he's got the special master now, and the special master asked them to tell us if he declassified any of the documents, and they say "nuh uh we don't want to say if we declassified anything because that will damage his criminal defense."

Why are they trying to keep the waters murky regarding declassification? If he's gonna say it's fine that he had them because they were all declassified, then how does it hurt him to say that now? I've heard people online saying "well, if he says these 10 documents were declassified, then he's admitting the others weren't" but why can't he just say "yeah they're all declassified"?

It’s all a play for time. If the House changes hands in early 2023 that’s a major disruption to the case. If the White House changes hands in 2025, the case evaporates. They don’t actually need to prove he’s innocent, just prevent him from being convicted until one of those things happens, and the best way to do that is ask dumb questions, give dumb answers, and sow confusion and roadblocks

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

Because "gently caress you make me" that's why. Sure that can probably be dressed up in flowery language and workshopped by a PR firm into a better message, but that's the message. Courts aren't a threat to Donny they're a playground where he gets to fling poo poo wherever he wants and enough money later he usually wins or draws, and anything resembling a loss is no-fault-admitted slap on the wrist spreadsheet value changes more damaging to his ego than his lifestyle or freedom of movement.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Phenotype posted:

IANAL but IIRC classification is at best a side issue. Saying "Yeah I declassified these nuclear secrets" would be used as evidence he knowingly kept nuclear secrets and contradict the claim that he just scooped up a bunch of papers and whoops there were things in there about our ally's nuclear defenses

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah this is my experience. The flight to Martha’s Vineyard was a huge win and the police [or someone?] are forcing Vineyards residents to let the migrants camp in their front yards, per the 300 pound idiot at my work. The fact that this does not appear to have happened is, as always, irrelevant. He heard it on TruthSocial or whatever so it became true, and I became owned

I've talked to multiple people convinced that the FBI is leaking fake info about Trump having classified documents and literally Trump leaked that and admitted to it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The DOJ just announced that they have indicted one group from Minnesota for fraudulently claiming a quarter of a billion dollars in CARES act funds starting in April 2020 and continuing up through June of 2021.

That is the single largest instance of fraud involving Covid funds by a single group.

They also announced that they still have over 2,000 cases of PPP loan-specific fraud they are investigating, but that it is a huge backlog and could take another two years.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1572262590042017798

quote:

U.S. charges ‘brazen’ theft of $250 million from pandemic food program

The Department of Justice on Tuesday charged 47 defendants for allegedly defrauding a federal program that provided food for needy children during the pandemic, describing the scheme — totaling $250 million — as the largest uncovered to date targeting the government’s generous stimulus aid.

Federal prosecutors said the defendants — a network of individuals and organizations tied to Feeding Our Future, a Minnesota-based nonprofit — allegedly put the wrongly obtained federal pandemic funds toward luxury cars, houses and other personal purchases in what amounted to a case of “brazen” theft.

“These indictments, alleging the largest pandemic relief fraud scheme charged to date, underscore the Department of Justice’s sustained commitment to combating pandemic fraud and holding accountable those who perpetrate it,” Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a statement.

The alleged scheme centered on the Federal Child Nutrition Program, which is administered by the Department of Agriculture to provide free meals to the children of lower-income families. Congress greatly expanded the program over the course of the pandemic, including by allowing a wider array of organizations to distribute food at a larger range of locations.

The changes to federal law opened the door for Feeding Our Future to play a greater role in distributing meals, the Justice Department contends, and the group disbursed more than $200 million over the course of 2021. In doing so, though, federal prosecutors alleged the company’s founder and executive director, Aimee Bock, oversaw a vast fraud scheme across Minnesota.

The company could not immediately be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Bock recruited individuals and companies that “fraudulently claimed to be serving meals to thousands of children a day,” prosecutors contend. Some of the defendants created shell companies to enroll in the program and serve as sites for meal distribution, according to the government. In other cases, the Justice Department alleges that the defendants submitted the names of fake kids obtaining meals and false invoices for food purchases that never occurred.

Feeding Our Future ultimately reaped $18 million in administrative fees that in the eyes of the government it was “not entitled” to receive. Company employees also appeared to solicit “bribes and kickbacks” from individuals and companies that it sponsored, the government says.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

haveblue posted:

It’s all a play for time. If the House changes hands in early 2023 that’s a major disruption to the case. If the White House changes hands in 2025, the case evaporates. They don’t actually need to prove he’s innocent, just prevent him from being convicted until one of those things happens, and the best way to do that is ask dumb questions, give dumb answers, and sow confusion and roadblocks

Additionally, if they claim he declassified documents they'd likely have to produce something beyond just a bald assertion that declassification actually took place, which is tricky since, you know, it's all a load of bullshit Trump thought up retroactively.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Phenotype posted:

Given how interested the lawyers seem to be in finding out what the documents the FBI confiscated were, it's not clear that they know precisely what they were, and don't have a file number to give to say "we declassified File2015212."

On top of that, not even the President has the power to just mentally declassify something without telling anyone. There's a process which has to be followed, which produces a paper trail. If there's no paper trail to PROVE that there was a declassification, then there was no declassification.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The actual potential crime would be leading them there under false pretenses with a promise of financial gain. It seems that might have happened, but it's also not totally clear what was said/promised/what the migrants understood from the information that is public.

Otherwise, giving someone a plane ride for free that they voluntary accept is not actually a crime. It's just a huge dick move to do it to people who are waiting for an asylum review and may not really 100% know what it is going on. Especially since they are dumping them without any warning to the other jurisdictions.

Is this actually true? Can I legally just strand someone in a completely foreign environment as long as they chose to get in my car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yawgmoft posted:

Is this actually true? Can I legally just strand someone in a completely foreign environment as long as they chose to get in my car?

Depending on the context, yes.

It isn't a crime to give someone a free ticket and have them voluntarily accept it. The actual potential criminal part comes from misleading or defrauding them.

There may be civil liability if some kind of economic damages occur to the person as a result of your actions/misrepresentation, but if they voluntarily take a plane ticket to somewhere where they don't know anybody, then it isn't a crime to just give them a ride for free.