Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

I'm also looking to put a dual dashcam into my 2018 Tiguan. I don't care at all about a parking mode, I'd actually rather it just turns entirely off when I park. I also don't particularly want GPS. I don't care about a hundred bucks one way or the other so price probably doesn't matter so much. It's regularly above 100 degrees and sunny out and I'm always parked outside. Is the VIOFO A129 Plus Duo still the best option?

It works in my car. I pull screenshots off of it every month or so. It's been going over a year in Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley, quite hot) sun with no issues. Exactly what I want from a dashcam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Right on, thanks!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I've browsed through a couple of dashcam forums/reviews and this thread, seems like I'll pull the trigger on the A129 either Pro or Plus Dual. The one thing I couldn't find definitive answers for is whether I can run the cam from a USB power supply instead of 12V.
I'll look at the data sheet to see how much they pull and then check with my car's wiring. The only posts I could find recommending against it indicated that "USB doesn't supply enough power", but were from around 2014-2018 (iirc one or both of my front console USB-C outputs are 2A, 2021 Leon).

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I think its the age old "it depends". USB often only supplies 500ma, but I don't think that's enough for the A129. I've got mine hard wired to a box that provides a dedicated USB cable, but I have no idea how much power it has. I'll see if I can find the specs for it.

Edit: I actually bothered to read your post, if your car has a 2A socket it'll be fine.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 14, 2022

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I've browsed through a couple of dashcam forums/reviews and this thread, seems like I'll pull the trigger on the A129 either Pro or Plus Dual. The one thing I couldn't find definitive answers for is whether I can run the cam from a USB power supply instead of 12V.
I'll look at the data sheet to see how much they pull and then check with my car's wiring. The only posts I could find recommending against it indicated that "USB doesn't supply enough power", but were from around 2014-2018 (iirc one or both of my front console USB-C outputs are 2A, 2021 Leon).

My A129 is plugged into a 2A dual-USB cigarette lighter outlet under the dash. It shares duty with charging my iPhone, so you should be OK.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

ausgezeichnet posted:

My A129 is plugged into a 2A dual-USB cigarette lighter outlet under the dash. It shares duty with charging my iPhone, so you should be OK.

I figured out a way to sneak the power cable into my middle armrest compartment thing while still being invisible to the eye, and since the A129 already came with a dual USB adapter for the 12V outlet, I figured I'd just chill, since this is actually a less visible solution than what I initially had in mind.
Impressed with the camera so far, video quality in well-lit/lowlight situations is excellent, quality in darkness gets impacted quite a bit by the glare of headlights, but I anticipated as much from reviews.

Two things I didn't anticipate:
- The amount of Fremdscham (at the expense of my own drat self, no less) due to the audio feed. Yeah, I've stopped singing along to whatever song I'm blasting as soon as I hit the button, but that doesn't erase the fact that I was singing in the previous 30 seconds of the clip the camera is now saving. :cripes:
- I completely misunderstood the way the "loop-recording" function works despite watching several reviews. I had assumed the standard recording method is "fill the SD card with clips of whichever defined length until it's full and then overwrite it starting with the oldest clip", and thought "loop recording" was AN ADDITIONAL function to just define a length of clip that would be ONLY saved if you push the button, meaning that the cam essentially continuously just buffers, but doesn't permanently save

Dunce cap on my head for not making the connection that the camera would have to have considerable onboard storage/RAM for that to be feasible. So now I have a 256GB micro-SD card, and at around 400MB per minute (front&rear cam footage combined), my cam can now store 600+ minutes or 10+ hours of footage, which makes me run afoul of the law over here a bit.

So now I'm planning to turn my apartment upside down to find an old UHS-I 16/32GB card I can put in it and then I'll just use the 256GB one for my Switch or something.

tl;dr:
good cam, dumb user

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

which makes me run afoul of the law over here a bit.

So now I'm planning to turn my apartment upside down to find an old UHS-I 16/32GB card I can put in it and then I'll just use the 256GB one for my Switch or something.

Huh? What kind of law is that?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Brut posted:

Huh? What kind of law is that?

The DATENSCHUTZGRUNDVERORDNUNG (DSGVO) does not allow for permanent, non-occasion-related "surveillance" (occasion-related in this case being something like a g-sensor saving a recording or you hitting the button in a crash).
Loop-recording (the way everyone outside of my dumb-rear end understands it) is in a sortakinda grey area since it's over-written, but the only way to be "as compliant" with the law as you can is to have a camera that saves (actually saves, not only "locks") footage only in an "occasion-related" case.

Having an SD card capable of storing up to 10 hours of footage before it's over-written puts me into the darkest-possible end of the loop-recording grey area, which I'd like to avoid.

Pretty bummed that I brain-farted out on those details when doing my research.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Is that kind of thing enforced? Cop pulls you over and asks to see the size of your SD card?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Strikes me more as one of those "Oh, and while you're already in poo poo for this other thing, what's that?" arrangements

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

flakeloaf posted:

Strikes me more as one of those "Oh, and while you're already in poo poo for this other thing, what's that?" arrangements

That and presumably surveillance that breaks the law isn't admissible in court, potentially defeating the purpose of having a camera.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

Sorta, I want to make sure I'm as clean as possible so as to not offer any surface area to either a disgruntled cop that couldn't find anything else on a traffic stop, or a guy rear-ending me and looking to share in the poo poo he's in.
Incidentally, I was rear-ended somewhat mildly three weeks ago (guy in a commercial van decided green at the traffic light means you get to floor it even if you have folks in front of you not flooring it), and the other guy was very non-confrontational about it, offering his insurance info and all, but it's the first confrontation a) in my first new car that I actually shelled out some proper money for and b) in a metropolitan area with notoriously lovely drivers, which is also why I decided to pull the trigger on a dashcam.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That and presumably surveillance that breaks the law isn't admissible in court, potentially defeating the purpose of having a camera.

This is actually something that our supreme court already ruled on, opining that the significance and admissability of dashcam footage can not be dismissed outright based on our personal information protection laws and is thus admissable in court on a case-by-case evaluation basis. Ironically, in the very same precedent, they laid down that the continuous surveillance/permanent storage of the footage ist verboten, and if you do that you may be subject to a proper Versohling of das Schwanzenheimer.

So it's essentially a not-so-fine line of "don't be a dick with your dashcam and only submit footage when the evidence of proof is explicitly needed because of personal injury (monetary or otherwise)" you have to walk.
I'm assuming you'll walk that more convincingly (if ever under scrutiny) if you don't have the capability to store enough footage on a card to keep a dash-cam-YT-channel afloat for a full month.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Teslas surveillance system might be in some trouble here in Sweden for the same reason. Counts as a surveillance camera which you need a permit for in order to have it film public areas. I mean tons of people do it with after market dashcams, but it's a bit different when it's OEM.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Finally had a reason to pull video from my dash cam today, and it was a doozy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdjzrJU7uRU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Well at least they cleared it from the road.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nocheez posted:

drat... Dude was looking at his phone or something, he barely touched the brakes before that impact, and certainly didn't mash them to the floor like he needed to.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

StormDrain posted:

Well at least they cleared it from the road.

Yeah drat, that was a big crash! The self-cleanup at the end was impressive though, I agree :v: Hopefully nobody was hurt, geez

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah drat, that was a big crash! The self-cleanup at the end was impressive though, I agree :v: Hopefully nobody was hurt, geez

Everyone was alert and walking around, but I'm sure the recipient will have some whiplash.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Nocheez posted:

Did you change lanes to avoid that or just get incredibly lucky?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

FBS posted:

Did you change lanes to avoid that or just get incredibly lucky?

Incredibly lucky. I wanted to pass a semi a few vehicles ahead that had been clogging up the left lane and saw the opportunity when the traffic stopped.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm glad you're okay! I've had an improbable near-miss on my motorcycle and it's a weird feeling to live with, for a few days at least.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

drat... Dude was looking at his phone or something, he barely touched the brakes before that impact, and certainly didn't mash them to the floor like he needed to.

Probably a combination of that and trying to use periphery to see what's in front of them, thereby not noticing that the other car was completely stopped until it started to get real big real fast.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Locator posted:

The post-accident U-turn while missing all of the other traffic, the shoveling wrecked cars off of the road to make everybody else's life easier, and the missing the Land Cruiser entirely was just amazing. Such a polite accident. "Ope, I seem to have hit you, let's just mosie on over to the shoulder like this, 'scuse me, 'scuse me, sorry about the mess in the road!"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you can steer it, clear it!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

~Coxy posted:

If you can steer it, clear it!

Goddamn you could get a job at Colorado DOT programming signs with that one.

Today's sign was "it's not a race, hold your place".

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
lol MegaDrivingSchool wasted no time and put that crash in their compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4zNUr7aLBM

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Goa Tse-tung posted:

lol MegaDrivingSchool wasted no time and put that crash in their compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4zNUr7aLBM

I emailed them directly, it's the one channel I watch on YouTube.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My last dashcam crash is in like a dozen compilations, I still get requests on that video every couple of months. It's nice that most of them ask for permission.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

My last dashcam crash is in like a dozen compilations, I still get requests on that video every couple of months. It's nice that most of them ask for permission.

Living in the Bay Area is easy mode to spot crashes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Living in the Bay Area is easy mode to spot crashes.

This one was pretty spectacular. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215&userid=116962&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post512295959

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
It blows my mind that someone walked away from that. Like, they should be dead. Its amazing how much safer cars are today even compared to 20 - 30 years ago.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bertha the Toaster posted:

It blows my mind that someone walked away from that. Like, they should be dead. Its amazing how much safer cars are today even compared to 20 - 30 years ago.

Those water barrel barriers are amazing at absorbing energy without killing people too. It's a combination of cars and highway design, but yeah, lots of crashes that would have killed people not all that long ago are 'walk away' crashes now.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Never thought I'd contribute anything to this thread, and its not the usual content either. Just drove home from a gig and this happened, at first I thought it the guy was just running across the road without checking.

You may notice the lack of shoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD1z_AytNEc

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Rude. Looks like he just needed a ride.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
And he for sure wasn't running from whatever those flashing lights were that pass by at the end of the video.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

it's the one channel I watch on YouTube.

hahaha same

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Here are a couple of recent ones that I have. Nothing great, and rewatching them I don't like my hesitation in braking, but in the former I was so aghast that they'd pull out with a trailer like that and in the second I was expecting them to accelerate at least a little bit... for some reason the time is off by like a half hour, it was about 7:30am and quite dark and they pulled out in front of me without their lights on and then just idled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piD_X1Bs9Kc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYI8U2jaJxo

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bringing this thread back from the dead. Finally in a modern car with airbags everywhere. Knees, side impact, etc (2008 Lexus ES 350, essentially a well optioned 2008 Camry with a different badge).

Trying to figure out how I can run a hardwire kit. It has side impact airbags (front and rear), front ones definitely in the A pillars (maybe seats too), rear ones in the seat bolsters (and maybe elsewhere?). Also thinking I'm going to switch to a front+rear setup, hence why I mention the rear airbags - obviously the easiest way to run the rear camera cable is along the side up top, but I don't know if there's anything in the C pillar.

I'm considering tapping into the sunroof power feed or mirror's compass power feed in the overhead console for power - think this would be okay? (they're both switched, might even be the same circuit) Or would I be better off trying to fit it behind the door seal (where it overlaps with the A pillar trim) and snaking it under the dash to the fuse box with an add-a-fuse kit?

Biggest concern is keeping the cables from running in front of airbags.

Currently a Viofo A119, though I'll probably upgrade to the A129 soon.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 30, 2023

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
You can still run your cables in the A pillar, just be conscious of where the airbag is, where it will deploy, and where the A pillar latch mount is (obvious once you pull it out.

Route the cable away from the airbag, likely following a wiring harness that's already in already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Skimmed the OP and the last page and didn't see anything conclusive, is there a thread favorite? I might add a front & backup cam to my car with neither, probably hardwire so I don't have to waste the 12v plug