Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Three Olives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTAzwKiQ7Ns

Well, gently caress it, I needed a new computer for random things like label printer print server, occasional video transcoding, remoting in from work when I forget my laptop, messing around with Home Assistant in Docker, maybe video security server, etc.

HP Z440s are actually really cheap and seem more than capable of handling home server tasks. Picked up a E-1603 16GB for like weekly grocery store run price.

I got a Z460 for my kid about 5 years ago. At that point it was like 150, but his is also a dual CPU system with like 64 gig or memory.

It still holds up quite well. It benchmarks even with a Ryzen 1600.

Downside, it runs hot and is rather expensive electricity cost wise. They didn't care about efficiency with those things. Plus the whole thing weighs about 60 pounds.

He notes in the video, you will have to get lucky to get one at the price they did (and he didn't mention shipping). Their videos on projects can be months of lead time. That said, one source he didn't mention in the video, look around and see if there are any electronic recycling companies near you. There are 3 within an hour of me, and all of them re-sell the stuff they buy from companies. More accurately, they will re-sell them for the company and give them a cut. They original company will make more money from the re-sell than if they were just recycled, but it takes more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Koskun posted:

I got a Z460 for my kid about 5 years ago. At that point it was like 150, but his is also a dual CPU system with like 64 gig or memory.

It still holds up quite well. It benchmarks even with a Ryzen 1600.

Downside, it runs hot and is rather expensive electricity cost wise. They didn't care about efficiency with those things. Plus the whole thing weighs about 60 pounds.

He notes in the video, you will have to get lucky to get one at the price they did (and he didn't mention shipping). Their videos on projects can be months of lead time. That said, one source he didn't mention in the video, look around and see if there are any electronic recycling companies near you. There are 3 within an hour of me, and all of them re-sell the stuff they buy from companies. More accurately, they will re-sell them for the company and give them a cut. They original company will make more money from the re-sell than if they were just recycled, but it takes more time.

Yeah, don't game, no power/heat concerns, a Xeon workstation just seems like a solid solution for like Chrome Remote Desktop, Plex, Blue Iris, Docker, Printer Sharing, etc, that I really hadn't considered given the price.

Like, slightly more money than I was planning on spending on a Pi 4 just to dick around with Home Assistant, even if you could find one in stock that you can't also easily use as remote desktop.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Three Olives posted:

Yeah, don't game, no power/heat concerns, a Xeon workstation just seems like a solid solution for like Chrome Remote Desktop, Plex, Blue Iris, Docker, Printer Sharing, etc, that I really hadn't considered given the price.

Like, slightly more money than I was planning on spending on a Pi 4 just to dick around with Home Assistant, even if you could find one in stock that you can't also easily use as remote desktop.

It isn't really a gaming or not issue, just them running at all they put out a lot of heat, and thus consume a lot of energy.

If you are simply looking for something to run what you listed, HP's EliteDesk, Z2, ProDesk, Lenovo's ThinkCenters. All of them make NUC sized-ish full systems. Generally they are a touch more, but there is an HP EliteDesk 800 on ebay right now for $70 with a 6th gen i5. Will easily do what you want, and use a fraction of the power.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Its a good screwdriver guys, we promise

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1571997810572017666

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

We now have youtubers sponsoring youtubers to promote a youtuber edition of a youtuber merch product because the youtuber who made the screwdriver has gotten super sensitive about people saying his screwdriver isn't amazing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Normal world

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I think giving money to con artist MKBHD is actually the worst thing Linus has ever done. Unless those other accusations turn out to be true.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

K8.0 posted:

I think giving money to con artist MKBHD is actually the worst thing Linus has ever done. Unless those other accusations turn out to be true.

con artist MKBHD?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
could be worse, it could be whatever's going on at twitch these days

(it's crazy how mr beast's promotion of crypto never caught on as a scandal though)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kliras posted:

could be worse, it could be whatever's going on at twitch these days

(it's crazy how mr beast's promotion of crypto never caught on as a scandal though)

“It’s ok if I like this person” is the unspoken rule around crypto shilling. That entire Sims IRL thing Jerma did was crypto sponsored and no-one said a word about it afterwards.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

njsykora posted:

We now have youtubers sponsoring youtubers to promote a youtuber edition of a youtuber merch product because the youtuber who made the screwdriver has gotten super sensitive about people saying his screwdriver isn't amazing.

There's also a b-plot going on here,

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ueel1wXnZk

Alex just hot rodded a mac studio with a watercooler and RGB, it looks loving sick

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

He should have gotten the Verge guy who made the terrible PC build guide, to cap off his redemption arc that started when LTT invited him on a while ago

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

well why not posted:

Alex just hot rodded a mac studio with a watercooler and RGB, it looks loving sick

More like Mac Stupido.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

"We did something dumb pointless and inadvisable with PC cooling" is unironcially the best LTT subgenre.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Arivia posted:

con artist MKBHD?

I mean con artist is maybe a bit strong but he's a hardcore shill pretending to be a reviewer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

well why not posted:

Can't be any worse than the old Mac Pro that had factory water cooling that almost always leaked onto the PSU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

K8.0 posted:

I mean con artist is maybe a bit strong but he's a hardcore shill pretending to be a reviewer.

yeah i knew about that part but con artist is a way different accusation imo

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

K8.0 posted:

you have a weird thing about mkbhd

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
mars by 2030 with a youtuber screwdriver

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

sudo rm -rf posted:

you have a weird thing about mkbhd

It bothers me that I constantly see people referring to him like he's an actual reviewer and not a pure shill. Somehow he dodges disclosure requirements like neo and the result is a lot of consumers getting conned by paid reviews.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

DoombatINC posted:

There's also a b-plot going on here,

Who knows, that might be the only one they ever made. It just gets passed around from YouTube to YouTube to make videos.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

K8.0 posted:

It bothers me that I constantly see people referring to him like he's an actual reviewer and not a pure shill. Somehow he dodges disclosure requirements like neo and the result is a lot of consumers getting conned by paid reviews.

personally i don't think he's done anything worse than trying to sell an expensive rear end backpack without a written warranty.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

K8.0 posted:

He’s a reviewer but in the lifestyle space and not the grognard computer nerd space so most of his reviews are about how stuff might fit into normal peoples lives, and he’s excellent in that respect. I don’t think that makes him a shill. Everything of his I have watched he has given a pretty balanced opinion on whether something is worth an upgrade or how it stacks up against the competition.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Does he not actually disclose when he's doing paid for stuff? I don't watch his channel.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

The Grumbles posted:

He’s a reviewer but in the lifestyle space and not the grognard computer nerd space so most of his reviews are about how stuff might fit into normal peoples lives, and he’s excellent in that respect. I don’t think that makes him a shill. Everything of his I have watched he has given a pretty balanced opinion on whether something is worth an upgrade or how it stacks up against the competition.

He's great if you're into reviews that never really criticize all that much or tell you anything of substance. Pretty much car reviews, but for consumer tech.

Criss-cross fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 20, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Inept posted:

Does he not actually disclose when he's doing paid for stuff? I don't watch his channel.

I think the grey area is that he gets preferential treatment from companies with early access to new products, they don't pay him for the reviews but he knows why he's getting that access

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's easier to think of mkbhd as a "gadget blogger" archetype than "tech reviewer". there wasn't really great tech journalism in mainstream media until 10-15 years ago or something like that, and the space was basically a bunch of enthusiasts, especially for apple

david pogue is a good example of the old guard, and dude had hilarious conflicts of interest like his wife's occupation

john gruber of daring fireball getting mad at kids these days on youtube getting a first-hand look at apple's products back in the day will never not amuse the hell out of me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kliras posted:

dude had hilarious conflicts of interest like his wife's occupation

But enough about Linus

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Criss-cross posted:

He's great if you're into reviews that never really criticize all that much or tell you anything of substance. Pretty much car reviews, but for consumer tech.
What substantive details do you think are missing? He mainly reviews phones and lifestyle gadgets. I don’t see how benchmarking and the like is useful in those contexts.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

The Grumbles posted:

What substantive details do you think are missing? He mainly reviews phones and lifestyle gadgets. I don’t see how benchmarking and the like is useful in those contexts.

The substantive details missing from most reviews are what it's like to daily drive something for any meaningful period of time, but that's not an issue specific to Marques as was alluded to earlier with the car reviews comment. Their problem is that they need the video to be relevant at a specific point in time, meaning they can't use a multitude of devices for months on end and still have them be relevant enough to monetise them.

If I'm in the market to buy anything, my first Google isn't for YouTubers but either subreddits or support forums.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah long term product life is a problem with all gadget reviews, they don’t ever see if the latest Android will be a laggy unresponsive mess in 18 months.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like MKHB for slickly produced, mildly informative videos that are just digestible bite size chunks of info on something I'm interested in. I don't feel there's a lot more in his videos on a new iphone than if I had gone to the apple store and had a look at one myself, but it saves me the trip!

I never feel that videos are the best for a really detailed analysis either, I would read one of arstechnica's detailed deep dives on things instead. Unfortunately, it means I don't watch a lot of Gamers Nexus videos, Steve knows his stuff but I just find the presentation extremely dull. I would far rather read an article they do, but I understand that's not where the money is these days.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

njsykora posted:

Yeah long term product life is a problem with all gadget reviews, they don’t ever see if the latest Android will be a laggy unresponsive mess in 18 months.

Even short term life isn't assessed well in reviews. Having to use a phone or laptop to do your life tasks for a month tends to reveal issues that reviewers don't recognize, or gloss over.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

njsykora posted:

this is the main thing that sucks about wirecutter (aside from all the other stuff). they also delete comments pointing out issues with the amazon referral products they recommend, so just a weird concept altogether

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MKBHD is very clearly paid (or at least bows down to keep his access) to avoid negative comments.

If you want a better understanding of specifically how this works, see the GN piece regarding Nvidia and that small YouTuber they tried to pull review samples from. Or the GN piece on MSI (?) where they talk about how companies ask for “editorial” privileges or to remove specific comments in exchange for vague threats on device access.

The whole reason companies send stuff to review channels for free and early is because they can use them to shape the narrative on performance/quality/claims/whatever. They still send stuff to places like GN because they know they’ll take too much bad press if they don’t, and that the fluff reviews (looking at you Linus with your 8k gaming video) have so much reach that GN’s negative will feel fairly insignificant.

The entire industry is designed to be one humongous advertisement, disguised as word of mouth content. It’s meant to trick you into thinking you’re hearing genuine opinions, even though it’s the “exact” message the company is looking to send regarding their product. You would never trust the companies claims by itself, but you would trust *lil ol’ independent* reviewed MKBHD or doofy rear end Linus dropping GPUs on the floor! They’re fun and relatable! They even sometimes critique things*!!!!

[Size=1]*critiques come with the explicit consent of the company who makes the product[/Size]

This kind of poo poo is exactly why GN is so so aggressive about seeming unbiased, to the point they won’t accept paid accommodations as press for a tech conference, from the conference itself.

It’s why the Washington post ever since being purchased by Amazon has been slowly leaking out articles about how we shouldn’t tax the rich, and that billionaires are a cornerstone of our economy, or why raising wages will lead to more inflation.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
speaking of the spectrum of shilling vs reviewing, df have always occupied a weird middle position

here's a teaser with teased % performance gains, which is also a little weird?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyGWFI1cuZQ

battaglia's analyses have always been great and unbiased, but i just don't like df's access journalism in general. not the process, but more the result

it's extra weird since dlss 3 does frame interpolation, so there's no distrinction between normal frames and constructed frames in this

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
flagship mobo shilling is my longtime favorite of "how to very carefully avoid mentioning the elephant in the room about they never bring any real CPU performance benefit over the bargain basement SKUs outside of hitting VRM limits"

Palladium fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 20, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Grumbles posted:

Klyith posted:

Review more phones that are under $500? His 2021 "best value" award was a $600 Pixel 6, which is dumb as gently caress. IMO looking at nothing but flagships is kinda being an industry shill.

His sole points of comparison are other flagship phones, so yeah the differences in features are relatively minor. A good reviewer would have a couple cheap phones that are stand-outs in some particular area (gaming, photos/video, etc). And so when discussing a feature set you'd have some wider reference points, and some cheaper alternatives for people that don't need a flagship phone but do want a phone that's excellent at something in particular.

Having zero reference to anything under $500 is telling people that they should spend close to a thousand dollars on a phone, which is what the industry would like them to do. That's why it's kinda shilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

kliras posted:

speaking of the spectrum of shilling vs reviewing, df have always occupied a weird middle position

daring fireball (and the vast majority of apple media) is just pr with plausible deniability