Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

namlosh posted:

People have more than one set of headphones???

I think you're in the wrong thread :cheeky:

My partner has more than one pair of headphones and all she does is listen to podcasts and audiobooks. One for home and one for work, and neither of them are particularly high end. I think I have... three? One for work, one for casual listening, and a beater pair if I want to turn them up really loud or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

namlosh posted:

People have more than one set of headphones???

I'm afraid to count, but I think it's somewhere around 15. Most of them have been very good deals from classified ads, some have been paid for by work, and I've also sold off a bunch. It's key to being an audiophool on a budget.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

qirex posted:

This is how most of the audio market works, you make "halo" gear almost nobody actually buys to get attention and make most of your money selling the base models or one tier up. KEF probably sells 10,000 pairs of Q series bookshelf speakers for every set of Blades. Then you send the halo gear to reviewers so they can kiss your rear end. There's seems to be something about the headphone market that exacerbates the hoarding itch, though. Maybe it's just because they're physically smaller? It's hard to have a dozen pairs of tower speakers unless you have a 3000 square foot Zeos basement.

For some reason there are zillion people selling their used KEF LS50s in my small local used market which always strike me as a huge red flag.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Palladium posted:

relative to what X is the question

Relative to just about any even remotely attainable metal? Beryllium is both incredibly toxic (meaning massive OSHA regs for production environments) and too brittle to shape using traditional means. The old Yamaha beryllium drivers used vapour deposition in vacuum chambers on copper forms that would be etched away. I went to an interesting presentation about brazing beryllium in nuclear reactor parts, it’s legit phd stuff as opposed to stamping a little piece of titanium into a dome.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Palladium posted:

For some reason there are zillion people selling their used KEF LS50s in my small local used market which always strike me as a huge red flag.

people online have decided en masse that they suck and are dogshit now

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Crossposting this from the stupid music poo poo thread:

Kingo Ligma posted:

Today's lmao:

https://www.madscientist-audio.com/bmusb.html

A $500 USB cable.

Of the insanity that makes up the sales pitch this was my favourite:

Digital audiophile gear remains the dumbest poo poo.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
power conditioners and uber-expensive analog unbalanced cables are the next best-in-line scams

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I’m inclined to say that a lot of the incentive to go with balanced gear/cables is a scam (or at least they aren’t worth it), but you can easily put together a good balanced setup for not much more than unbalanced so you may as well

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

Relative to just about any even remotely attainable metal? Beryllium is both incredibly toxic (meaning massive OSHA regs for production environments) and too brittle to shape using traditional means. The old Yamaha beryllium drivers used vapour deposition in vacuum chambers on copper forms that would be etched away. I went to an interesting presentation about brazing beryllium in nuclear reactor parts, it’s legit phd stuff as opposed to stamping a little piece of titanium into a dome.

Why do we have incredibly toxic metals in consumer headphones?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KillHour posted:

Why do we have incredibly toxic metals in consumer headphones?

Well if you’re not inhaling it as a dust or stabbing yourself with a shard of it you’re fine. Think asbestos rules, fine when inert, hilariously deadly otherwise.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

Well if you’re not inhaling it as a dust or stabbing yourself with a shard of it you’re fine. Think asbestos rules, fine when inert, hilariously deadly otherwise.

Oh cool so when these are broken and get sent to the landfill or taken apart or whatever, there will never be any issues

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KillHour posted:

Oh cool so when these are broken and get sent to the landfill or taken apart or whatever, there will never be any issues

Only beryllium powder is considered hazardous waste I’m fairly sure. The reason it’s expensive to make things out of it is because it is in this hazardous form during production and the fact that around 2kg of beryllium costs as much as around a metric ton of titanium.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

DoesNotCompute posted:

Only beryllium powder is considered hazardous waste I’m fairly sure. The reason it’s expensive to make things out of it is because it is in this hazardous form during production and the fact that around 2kg of beryllium costs as much as around a metric ton of titanium.

Beryllium is essential for national security

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Spazzle posted:

Beryllium is essential for national security

Professor Lane has that issue amply covered.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

DoesNotCompute posted:

Side by side, the improvements in resonance/decay times, lower distortion and extended high frequency response between titanium and beryllium diaphragms are immediately obvious to pretty much everyone, too.

In addition to the toxic and dangerous manufacturing process, they also tend to be small-run orders which further increases the cost. Still, at $5k there is plenty of profit per-unit for those Focal Utopias even when you account for R&D time.

The highest-end LCD series cans from Audeze sound better anyway. Not that I’m ever likely to spend that much cash.

Luckily, some modern carbon-fibre textile manufacturing methods get ~80% of Beryllium’s stiffness/Young’s modulus properties at around half the price.

TeXtreme is one ready-made product, but several other loudspeaker parts manufacturers are rolling their own. If you’re paying ‘street price’ you can get a pair of poo poo-hot carbon fibre compression drivers for just over a thousand bucks.

https://faitalpro.com/en/products/HF_Drivers/product_details/index.php?id=502020190

Stick those on a $60 horn such as Eighteen Sound XT1464 and you’ve got much better HF than most >$20k hifi systems.

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 19, 2022

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ok Comboomer posted:

people online have decided en masse that they suck and are dogshit now

is this a real thing

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Palladium posted:

is this a real thing

Audiophiles doing a stupid based on internet forum trends sounds believable to me

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Aw yesss, Roon added remote playback support and native apple silicon support as well.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Remote streaming was like the one missing big feature, roon is the best. All I can think of they could add is room correction at the core level [roon correction ? :v:] and remote library backup.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

qirex posted:

Remote streaming was like the one missing big feature, roon is the best. All I can think of they could add is room correction at the core level [roon correction ? :v:] and remote library backup.

I just signed up for it a couple of months ago and was considering cancelling because I just don't value it enough without remote streaming. Think I'll be keeping my subscription now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd say the biggest risk to paying for Roon is some big company might buy them out and ruin it. Otherwise it's my favorite audio "gear" purchase of the last few years so cheers to early Covid lockdown brain for convincing me to splurge on lifetime.

That said it's not perfect and it's not for everybody and it is stupidly expensive but it works great for me and not having to rely on Sonos software anymore is huge.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

qirex posted:

That said it's not perfect and it's not for everybody and it is stupidly expensive but it works great for me and not having to rely on Sonos software anymore is huge.

I'm using some old Dell laptops I got for free (7390's with batteries removed, 7280/7390 batteries are time bombs). Uses WASAPI Exclusive mode over HDMI for full bitperfect transmission. It's not so expensive unless you're buying these insanely overpriced endpoints. I have these two roon endpoints connected as inputs on each of my AV receivers for wireless full lossless playback for when I'm sitting down for a dedicated session.

I still have Sonos speakers all over my house, and honestly prefer the interface/apps over Roon's. Once I got rid of my older 2.4ghz Sonos gear and have only newer 5ghz Sonos gear, everything has absolutely rock solid with my Sonos setup for almost 1 year now. This is with 7 speakers spanning 3 levels, with all of them on wifi, none hardwired. No exaggeration when I say rock solid, either. I'm talking what seems like 5 9's level reliability. It was not like that before when I had mixed setup with wired/wireless/sonosnet, not even close. It was downright bad sometimes.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 21, 2022

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I now have a near-Pavlovian response to the Purple Light of Bit Perfect Transport

[if you're not familiar it goes to green if transcoded and orange for filthy lossy compression]

My Sonos speakers have been great, as many gripes about them as a company I have they make quality stuff, I'm just over using my Connect and definitely not replacing it with a Port. For my living room I just stream to my TV and get the nice 55" now playing screen.

qirex fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 21, 2022

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

qirex posted:

My Sonos speakers have been great, as many gripes about them as a company I have they make quality stuff, I'm just over using my Connect and definitely not replacing it with a Port. For my living room I just stream to my TV and get the nice 55" now playing screen.
For sure, I get this entirely! I sold my Connect as well, just wasn't a fan of using Sonos for this purpose, and Roon does it much better. The Port is also wildly overpriced.

So I'm just now getting around to trying out ARC and... why aren't they bringing this to the desktop???? The only way you can listen remotely is via a mobile device. No desktop OS support. Why??? The main reason I wanted remote access feature is so I can listen on my laptop at work.

Edit: I guess I can VPN into my home network and it works via the old Roon software.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 21, 2022

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

I'd say the biggest risk to paying for Roon is some big company might buy them out and ruin it. Otherwise it's my favorite audio "gear" purchase of the last few years so cheers to early Covid lockdown brain for convincing me to splurge on lifetime.

I have my PC connected to my TV/AVR and stream Qobuz and my local music files through that, would the only thing that Roon gives me be a better recommendation system if I don't need any other streaming features/EQ ability/library management etc?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mozi posted:

I have my PC connected to my TV/AVR and stream Qobuz and my local music files through that, would the only thing that Roon gives me be a better recommendation system if I don't need any other streaming features/EQ ability/library management etc?

Reasons I got it:
  • To listen on my work laptop when working from home instead of a weird combo of Tidal and Apple remote play
  • To use streaming more since I was paying for it but not using it much
  • Better tagging and categorization [you can browse by record label!]
  • To not have to buy Sonos hardware in the future, and get rid of my Connect
  • Recommendations that aren't just the 10 most popular artists in any given genre, plus the artist info and album reviews
There's definitely things that could be better, like Apple Music or Amazon support would be nice even though I'm happy with Tidal, better support for DJ mixes or even CUE sheets and non-album tracks.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

help, my $4000 headphones are muffled, but I believe that if I burn them in until the return window passes that they'll open up more

also what is EQ

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How much is burning in your speakers just audiophile mumbo jumbo? Is it actually a real thing, or just 100% bullshit?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

BonHair posted:

How much is burning in your speakers just audiophile mumbo jumbo? Is it actually a real thing, or just 100% bullshit?

There is a measurable shift in complex valued impedance and therefore Thiele-Small parameters, but in the vast majority of cases:
- the differences aren’t audible in double blind testing
- return to the ‘new’ state after the transducer is left unused for a period of a week or two

Plus the process is typically done at the factory or occurs naturally by just using the drat product you’ve bought.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Burn in is also generally said to conveniently be just longer than the product warranty.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

njsykora posted:

Burn in is also generally said to conveniently be just longer than the product warranty.
Also long enough to get used to the new sound. I remember when I had those little DefTech speakers they sounded super bright then they “mellowed out” until I replaced them and went “oh gently caress those things were harsh” and even plugged them back in to test. Good riddance, Promonitor 1000s. That was my last try with weird speaker designs, I’m team ported rectangle for life.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

BonHair posted:

short answer: Yes, it's bullshit

long answer: Yyyyyeeeessssssss, iiiiiiitttttt'sssss bbbuuuuulllllshhhiiiiiiiiiitttt

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
If burn in was real, why don't they offer it as a service from the factory?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Speaker Break-in is mostly bullshit in my experience (other than Magnepans, all that glue has to do it’s thing), but speaker warm-up is definitely not bullshit. It takes a good several minutes for most speakers to sound good at anything above a moderate volume. My Quads need 10-15 minutes of playing before you can really open the taps - they distort like a motherfucker if you try before that, even if they’ve been plugged in for days keeping the panels charged.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What?! Your speakers somehow have to be warmed up?! Doubtful man.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

redeyes posted:

Quads are weird-rear end electrostatics. The perfect audiophile speaker because they are expensive, fragile and require exacting placement.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
When I was in college everyone got sick of the K240s/MDR7506s the profs recommended around the same time, and there was a big rush on monitor sales. We all bought into the 'burn-in phase' thing so for a few days my roommates and I just left our monitors on at a gentle volume and it was kind of weird walking through the house hearing Deftones and Muse and drum & bass and tech house whispering out of every open door.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

Not for normal volumes but for volumes where you can see the cones moving quite a bit, it seems like they need some heat in them. At least for the majority of speakers I’ve owned.

And I’m not talking about a long time, but they seem to loosen up progressively over the course of a few minutes, the more aggressive with the volume you are the less time it takes.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Not for normal volumes but for volumes where you can see the cones moving quite a bit, it seems like they need some heat in them. At least for the majority of speakers I’ve owned.

And I’m not talking about a long time, but they seem to loosen up progressively over the course of a few minutes, the more aggressive with the volume you are the less time it takes.

huh, so kind of outliers

FWIW, my 1970s Marshall tube amp changes tone drastically in the first 30 mins of being turned on, after which my house starts smelling like im buring old wood. Awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i have never seen a speaker cone move in a visible way in the flesh