Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah I guess you're right, its just kinda irritating/discouraging that Abbott and DeSantis and their pals just get to Do Whatever and brag about it on TV and say they'll do it over and over and all the magas at my work get to taunt me about it and there's nothing I can point to besides Biden at a Hispanic Rights dinner asking them to maybe knock it off instead of having some sort of like actual response. He didn't even say we'd have social services waiting on the tarmac like you suggested!

Unfortunately, pressuring inconvenient poor people to board a bus going across the country with zero arrangements for their arrival in the destination is a lot more common than people think. It's especially unforgivable when they're doing it to mental health patients the local hospital doesn't want to take care of anymore.

If there's one thing I hope to see from this stunt, it's driving awareness for that. Many of these homeless-trafficking programs are based in major liberal cities like NYC or San Francisco, where I'm sure the politically-inclined are very enraged that Abbott would dare to put vulnerable people on a one-way bus going out of state, even though their own cities do that on a routine basis. If this becomes an opportunity to mobilize them against their own cities' policies for shipping the poor and vulnerable elsewhere, that might very well be worth it.

Phenotype posted:

So in the Trump documents case, he's got the special master now, and the special master asked them to tell us if he declassified any of the documents, and they say "nuh uh we don't want to say if we declassified anything because that will damage his criminal defense."

Why are they trying to keep the waters murky regarding declassification? If he's gonna say it's fine that he had them because they were all declassified, then how does it hurt him to say that now? I've heard people online saying "well, if he says these 10 documents were declassified, then he's admitting the others weren't" but why can't he just say "yeah they're all declassified"?

He knows full well that he didn't declassify anything and that lying to the court about it won't end well. But he doesn't want to openly admit that he didn't declassify anything, because he's been telling his followers outside the courtroom that he declassified everything and it's all a big witch-hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
The special master doesn't appear to be having any of it. Unlike Cannon, he's basically said that he considers the classification markings as prima facie evidence of classification and they have to actually claim which documents are unclassified.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Phenotype posted:

Why are they trying to keep the waters murky regarding declassification? If he's gonna say it's fine that he had them because they were all declassified, then how does it hurt him to say that now? I've heard people online saying "well, if he says these 10 documents were declassified, then he's admitting the others weren't" but why can't he just say "yeah they're all declassified"?
because it leads directly to stuff like lawyers accidentally committing perjury and ends up incriminating their client even more. The only thing more clarity does is make it abundantly plain that everything Trump was doing was illegal on every level

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ryde posted:

The special master doesn't appear to be having any of it. Unlike Cannon, he's basically said that he considers the classification markings as prima facie evidence of classification and they have to actually claim which documents are unclassified.

I guess the ideal outcome here is the special master comes back in five minutes with a document that says "I agree with the DOJ on everything, please proceed with the case."

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

haveblue posted:

I guess the ideal outcome here is the special master comes back in five minutes with a document that says "I agree with the DOJ on everything, please proceed with the case."

I suspect it won't matter for Judge Cannon. I think the real hope is that the appeal process ends up with enough non-chudge R judges that it gets put in front of the right people.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

ryde posted:

I don't understand why Dearie was on Trump's list. Why even list someone who seems rational? Put sycophants and hope Cannon bites.

Or is that going a little to far and risk the strategy of delay?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Here is the messaging to get at Human Trafficker Ron. Ron deSantis cares more about the people in Martha's Vineyard than he does about Floridians and he is spending tax payers money to own the libs instead of helping Floridians.
Just show that Human Trafficker Ron doesn't care about Florida at all. Hammer the message home. Call him a human trafficker so much that that becomes a part of his name like a stain.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

BDawg posted:

I don't understand why Dearie was on Trump's list. Why even list someone who seems rational? Put sycophants and hope Cannon bites.

Or is that going a little to far and risk the strategy of delay?

They thought he would be skeptical of the FBI because he was on the FISA court? Very little law knowledge but seems like his lawyers are morons.

https://www.axios.com/2022/09/18/trump-special-master-dearie-fbi-skeptic

quote:

Raymond Dearie's appointment as special master to review records the FBI seized from Mar-a-Lago was a positive development for former President Trump, whose lawyers recommended him. But their call for the low-profile New York judge was befuddling given Dearie has no apparent connection or loyalty to Trump.

Driving the news: Two sources with direct knowledge of the closely held deliberations now tell Axios what Trump's legal team was thinking:

Lawyers and advisers to the former president believe Dearie's role on the secretive court that approved controversial warrants used to surveil former Trump campaign aide Carter Page in 2016 and 2017 made Dearie a deep skeptic of the FBI.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Bugsy posted:

They thought he would be skeptical of the FBI because he was on the FISA court? Very little law knowledge but seems like his lawyers are morons.

It's been said before, but it bears repeating that his decades-long practice of stiffing his attorneys and dodging huge legal bills for months and years means he really isn't getting the top-flight legal advice someone of his wealth/prominence should at least theoretically get.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

He knows full well that he didn't declassify anything and that lying to the court about it won't end well. But he doesn't want to openly admit that he didn't declassify anything, because he's been telling his followers outside the courtroom that he declassified everything and it's all a big witch-hunt.

I hope you were being cynical here. Alex freaking Jones lied serially to the court, mocked the judge to her face and then on the media, and the system has zero will to go after him. If you think they'll be more willing to stick out their necks for a popular former president, who also appointed a swarm of crazies to the judiciary thanks to Uncle Mitch, meaning they can muck up legal proceedings on a national level is crossed, you must really know something I don't.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Madkal posted:

Here is the messaging to get at Human Trafficker Ron. Ron deSantis cares more about the people in Martha's Vineyard than he does about Floridians and he is spending tax payers money to own the libs instead of helping Floridians.
Just show that Human Trafficker Ron doesn't care about Florida at all. Hammer the message home. Call him a human trafficker so much that that becomes a part of his name like a stain.

I have unfortunate news for you about the vitriol of Charlie Crist

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Madkal posted:

Using tax money to hurt people is the only use of tax money that's approved by Republicans.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's been said before, but it bears repeating that his decades-long practice of stiffing his attorneys and dodging huge legal bills for months and years means he really isn't getting the top-flight legal advice someone of his wealth/prominence should at least theoretically get.

This is a talking point that gets bandied about but I haven’t been able to find any thing that substantiates it. Do you have any evidence of this claim?

On a lighter note, there’s been quite the tizzy over the size of this teachers breasts. How big is too big anyways? In the immortal words of Potter Stewart, “That which gives me wood I know it when I see it”

Decide for yourself :nws:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11224383/amp/High-school-defends-transgender-teacher-large-prosthetic-breasts.html

quote:

Canadian high school teacher has sparked controversy after pictures emerged of her wearing large breast prosthetics while teaching students.

Kayla Lemieux, a Manufacturing Technology teacher at Oakville Trafalgar High School in Ontario, has been pictured online taking classes while wearing the huge prosthetics, which stretch her clothing and stick out prominently.

In a statement to parents, the school said: 'As a school within the Halton District School Board (HDSB), Oakville Trafalgar High School recognizes the rights of students, staff, parents/guardians and community members to equitable treatment without discrimination based upon gender identity and gender expression.

'We strive to promote a positive learning environment in schools consistent with the values of the HDSB and to ensure a safe and inclusive environment for all students, staff and the community, regardless of race, age, ability, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, cultural observance, socioeconomic circumstances or body type/size.'

Sounds like the school has her back and she’s popular w the students so hopefully this blows over with out much kerfuffle.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

This is a talking point that gets bandied about but I haven’t been able to find any thing that substantiates it. Do you have any evidence of this claim?

Sure; last month the Washington Post published this entitled, Trump is rushing to hire seasoned lawyers — but he keeps hearing ‘No’.

I think he was able to finally get at least one decent lawyer, but had to pay a huge retainer up front because, again, nobody trusts him to pay his eventual bills.

Above and beyond the money factor, there's also the fact that he doesn't listen to anything he doesn't like, nor follow the cardinal rule all good lawyers drum into people in legal trouble: "sit down and shut the gently caress up."

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

Sounds like the school has her back

I hope someone does.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

D’oh! Dunno how I missed this. It was always plausible but sometimes truth and fiction get blended together with these Trump legends, so I wanted to ask before repeating a falsehood and spreading “Fake News” :D . Much obliged

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

D’oh! Dunno how I missed this. It was always plausible but sometimes truth and fiction get blended together with these Trump legends. Much obliged

No prob. With our big wet boy it's always hard to tell the crazy-sounding but real stories from the plausible but unfortunately false ones like the Gorilla Channel.

Psikotik posted:

I hope someone does.

:rimshot:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

On a lighter note, there’s been quite the tizzy over the size of this teachers breasts. How big is too big anyways? In the immortal words of Potter Stewart, “That which gives me wood I know it when I see it”

Decide for yourself :nws:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11224383/amp/High-school-defends-transgender-teacher-large-prosthetic-breasts.html

Sounds like the school has her back and she’s popular w the students so hopefully this blows over with out much kerfuffle.

I started to express an opinion on this, but I actually think completely ignoring the Daily Mail is the better approach and I encourage you all to do the same.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Madkal posted:

That'd be a great plan if we didn't live in a country where a third to a half of the electorate didn't think that both DeSantis and human trafficking (of most shades of human) were both extremely cool and good. Unfortunately, America.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
What does a Canadian teacher's large breasts have to do with US Current Events

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
American Right Wing media is talking about it

still a valid question, but one that should be posed to Fox News et al

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Yeah but right wing media and the Daily Mail appear to be talking about it from a trans panic angle. It's been brought up in the D&D LGBTQIA+ thread and is probably better suited there.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fritz the Horse posted:

What does a Canadian teacher's large breasts have to do with US Current Events

If you're queer and especially if you're trans, unfortunately a lot.

I knew it was something being blown out of context, but holy poo poo are the chuds running with it.

Fritz the Horse posted:

Yeah but right wing media and the Daily Mail appear to be talking about it from a trans panic angle. It's been brought up in the D&D LGBTQIA+ thread and is probably better suited there.

Didn't know this was a thing so it's probably better discussed there.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

ryde posted:

I'd caution against taking court questioning too seriously. This exchange:
https://mobile.twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1572289427766136834
https://mobile.twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1572290983684935680

Is both what Dearie would do if he wants to see Trump's hack squirm and what he'd do if he wants to give his lawyers a chance to elaborate on their (woefully inadequate) pleaded arguments. Also, arguably, if he's bored and wants to fill time. I think you have the right interpretation, but it's hardly the only valid one.

Phenotype posted:

So in the Trump documents case, he's got the special master now, and the special master asked them to tell us if he declassified any of the documents, and they say "nuh uh we don't want to say if we declassified anything because that will damage his criminal defense."

In addition to other reasons already given: Because despite Trump's efforts to steer discussion otherwise, classification status has no bearing on the potential 18 U.S. Code § 793 charges because National Defense Information is not exclusively classified information. Given the law requires the improper retention to be willfull, admitting declassification shuts off the possible defense that he was unaware of the information he held.

Dearie's comment
https://mobile.twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1572291949104877570

reflects the reality of Trump's strategy. Suggest in public and have your flacks flood the airwaves with hints that you did declassify everything, to justify truly extraordinary relief and mute public outcry. Then, in court, claim that you really do want to specify but the court can't force you to (or hold your refusal against you) because it'd harm your defense in a potential future criminal case.

Important to remember here (and it apparently tripped up Trump's legal team w/r/t seating arrangements), Trump's not the defendant here.... and it's a civil, not criminal proceeding. The burden is on him.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sephyr posted:

I hope you were being cynical here. Alex freaking Jones lied serially to the court, mocked the judge to her face and then on the media, and the system has zero will to go after him. If you think they'll be more willing to stick out their necks for a popular former president, who also appointed a swarm of crazies to the judiciary thanks to Uncle Mitch, meaning they can muck up legal proceedings on a national level is crossed, you must really know something I don't.

I think you may be misinformed, because Jones and his lawyers have both suffered considerable consequences from defying the courts and pissing off the judges.

Most obviously, he lost all his court cases by default without even going to trial, because the judges decided he was loving around too much with discovery, and just awarded an automatic win to the people suing him. Moreover, his continued loving around has resulted in him being sanctioned in various ways, such as having certain lines of defense forbidden to him. His lawyers aren't off the hook either, with serious possibilities for sanctions against them (though the judges are content to leave that till after the Jones trials themselves).

The number one rule of court is to never piss off the judge. They may not immediately destroy you with all of their power, but that's because they can afford to let things wait. They run the courtroom, they don't need to rush to interrupt someone who can't stop digging the hole deeper.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

projecthalaxy posted:

That'd be a great plan if we didn't live in a country where a third to a half of the electorate didn't think that both DeSantis and human trafficking (of most shades of human) were both extremely cool and good. Unfortunately, America.

Plus, in the eyes of his supporters, what he's doing IS good for Florida, because now there aren't any dirty immigrants stealing all of the jobs and doing all of the crimes and stealing all of the welfare, which is stuff that absolutely definitely happens in their world.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Everything DeSantis does is calculated to appeal to his base. He (correctly, in my view) feels like there’s no legitimate opposition to him in this state and can just do whatever he wants with no consequences. If the Feds get involved, even better, because then he can claim that Biden is targeting him specifically. It’s really win/win the majority of the time.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Main Paineframe posted:

I think you may be misinformed, because Jones and his lawyers have both suffered considerable consequences from defying the courts and pissing off the judges.

Most obviously, he lost all his court cases by default without even going to trial, because the judges decided he was loving around too much with discovery, and just awarded an automatic win to the people suing him. Moreover, his continued loving around has resulted in him being sanctioned in various ways, such as having certain lines of defense forbidden to him. His lawyers aren't off the hook either, with serious possibilities for sanctions against them (though the judges are content to leave that till after the Jones trials themselves).

The number one rule of court is to never piss off the judge. They may not immediately destroy you with all of their power, but that's because they can afford to let things wait. They run the courtroom, they don't need to rush to interrupt someone who can't stop digging the hole deeper.

Have the financial consequences been larger than "what he can earn back in a few days"?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

Have the financial consequences been larger than "what he can earn back in a few days"?

Considering his lawyers are currently in court trying to minimize the amount he has to pay in damages... there's a good chance they will be?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The end result of the Alex Jones trials is going to be years more of lawsuits trying to claw back the money from the fake companies he's hidden it in while he uses the lawsuits as easy content for his shows.

paywall free NYTimes article about how he's hidden like $70m over the past few years.
https://archive.ph/N3moe#selection-1269.0-1272.0

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

Not from the first trial, as Texas has a very low cap on punitive damages (I wanna say they top out at $750k),* and his lawyers for all their pants-on-head incompetence did manage to persuade the jury to level much heavier punitive than compensatory damages (which are not capped). The plaintiff's are trying to get around that but the odds aren't amazing.

No idea about the sanctions consequences as those are being held until after both trials are complete I believe, nor what limits if any Connecticut has on damages.

EDIT: /\ /\ /\ Oh yeah, and this. He's done all he can to dump assets in places he hopes can't be touched.

*A component of this delightful law was that the plaintiff's attorneys were bound from informing the jury of just how low the punitive damages cap is.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 20, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

American Right Wing media is talking about it

still a valid question, but one that should be posed to Fox News et al

There's a Right Wing Media thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512233

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

He's got two more trials, plus the whole bankruptcy thing going on. There's a reason the lawyers are all making sure to emphasize very strongly how much money he made off these.

Just because he's going to continue to make lots of money doesn't mean it won't sting when he loses tens of millions of dollars.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

haveblue posted:

New York and Delaware should buy a one-way ticket to Florida for anyone caught with a gun violent felon released from jail.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Biden should really dick with DeSantis via the FAA

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The actual potential crime would be leading them there under false pretenses with a promise of financial gain. It seems that might have happened, but it's also not totally clear what was said/promised/what the migrants understood from the information that is public.

Otherwise, giving someone a plane ride for free that they voluntary accept is not actually a crime. It's just a huge dick move to do it to people who are waiting for an asylum review and may not really 100% know what it is going on. Especially since they are dumping them without any warning to the other jurisdictions.
A group of the refugees have filed a class action suit alleging facts. They're saying that DeSantis and associates made specific false promises about Massachusetts's programs and also distributed fake documents claiming to be from Massachusetts's government agencies to lure them onto the plane.

The most likely way I see this stopping is from lower level GOP officials having plausibly-successful civil suits and criminal investigations aimed at them and future minions being spooked about continuing. (Bexar county, TX where the refugees were lured from has a criminal investigation running, in addition to this civil suit)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Main Paineframe posted:

He's got two more trials, plus the whole bankruptcy thing going on. There's a reason the lawyers are all making sure to emphasize very strongly how much money he made off these.

Just because he's going to continue to make lots of money doesn't mean it won't sting when he loses tens of millions of dollars.

Well as long as he feels a slight sting, ok then.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

funny story about that bankruptcy thing

https://twitter.com/NYTLiz/status/1572378741686562817

what that means is, alex jones' lawyer just got fired by the bankruptcy judge, as did his puppet officer running infowars

https://twitter.com/NYTLiz/status/1572380857268314112?s=20&t=7BHlWQ61dSv4B42a17xijw

and what that means is that an independent person is now appointed to run infowars. what is that independent person's job? well, it's mostly to spend infowars' money suing alex jones, and hiring lawyers to do that:

https://twitter.com/NYTLiz/status/1572381575001657347?s=20&t=7BHlWQ61dSv4B42a17xijw

this is an astounding reversal of fortune. you may ask "can alex jones decide oops, i don't want infowars to be in bankruptcy anymore" and the answer is no, he doesn't get to make decisions for infowars anymore, the appointed trustee will be doing that and will be deciding that bankruptcy is an ideal forum to sue alex jones in

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

basically short of that NYT reporter wildly misreporting what happened the only way that bankruptcy could be going worse is if the judge put Jones in jail himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Well as long as he feels a slight sting, ok then.

It's difficult to know exactly how much of a sting, given his efforts to obscure his finances. But a forensic economist called during the Texas trial estimated that the combined net worth of Jones and his companies is somewhere between $135 million and $270 million. Probably about half of that is his own money, though it's not that hard for him to embezzle some from the company if he needs it. Which is a lot of money, sure.

But the number the Texas jury arrived at was $49 million, somewhere between one-third and one-fifth of his empire. And while the damages cap limited his effective payout to only a few million, he's facing two more trials he's already lost. And if even a Texas jury thought he was that bad, his prospects are not good in CT, especially not in a courtroom twenty miles from Sandy Hook. Especially since the CT plaintiffs are putting more of a focus on Jones' profits, and also have a legit legal path to evade damage caps.

And it's not just those cases, either. The fact that one of his lawyers accidentally leaked a copy of his phone data is damaging in all sorts of ways, and it'll hurt him even in other, unrelated lawsuits. For example, his ex-wife is very interested to see if anything in his texts could be relevant to her ongoing court battles with Alex for custody of the kids. It's already come out that he engaged in extensive secret surveillance of both his ex-wife and current wife, and also that he sent his current wife's nude photos to Roger Stone without her knowledge or consent.