Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ROB is great, they should bring back ROB

The only good thing Nintendo has ever created.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DontMockMySmock posted:

And usually some variant of "no 'major' glitches" or "no out-of-bounds" or similar, as well, for those who want a semi-glitchy experience

they're still gonna play like a speedrunner though
if you want to see "normal" gameplay instead of alucard spamming backdash across the entire castle because it's faster than running forwards, and skipping past every possible enemy he can instead of fighting it, you are gonna be disappointed

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ROB is great, they should bring back ROB

https://youtu.be/DxxvlZ1zFJ8

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Caesar Saladin posted:

Every video ive seen about speedrunning has them drop some phrase like "He spent thousands of hours and months grinding out this level to get the record" like that's an okay and healthy thing to do. They aren't just speedrunning, they're running from some kind of darkness deep inside themselves.

People have hobbies you know. You can have a job and social life and still get some endorphins doing whatever it is gets you off, be it speed running or watching NFL or building an intricately detailed model train diorama.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Some years ago I tried 100% Super Metroid speedruns, it's probably my #1 and the tricks/exploits in it are really fun so I figured why not. I wasn't great at it or anything, I think I got it down to around a 1+ hour ingame time and said good enough, cause I was getting sick of it already after a couple runs. I can't imagine doing this every day for thousands of hours, that does seem a little weird but w/e, you do you.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

galagazombie posted:

People have hobbies you know. You can have a job and social life and still get some endorphins doing whatever it is gets you off, be it speed running or watching NFL or building an intricately detailed model train diorama.

fwiw I don't respect them either

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Beartaco posted:

fwiw I don't respect them either

:hai:

Speedrunning is less of a hobby and more of a depression symptom

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only speed run I care about is how quickly I can destroy my enemies ancient

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Speed running is like racing

Nobody sits around and willingly watches someone drive the same circuit for 5+ hours trying to wring out another 2 seconds off their lap time.

I like to watch them do it real fast and marvel at the insane dedication but I would in no way be interested in watching the build up (or ever doing it myself) because it's even more boring than driving in circles.

More speedruns should incorporate fires and explosions is my takeaway.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I would watch 1000 speed runs of increasingly more obscure 1980s videogames before I'm bored enough to watch one lap of an F1 race

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I would watch 1000 speed runs of increasingly more obscure 1980s videogames before I'm bored enough to watch one lap of an F1 race

If it was a lap with an explosion it might be worth it

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I just did a speedrun of the last two pages.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best mario game in the entire franchise is mario land 3: wario land

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

as with everything nintendo the best marios are the ones you played as a kid

no company coasts on nostalgia better than nintendo

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

as with everything nintendo the best marios are the ones you played as a kid

no company coasts on nostalgia better than nintendo

Blizzard come close

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The best video game title continues to be Star Wars Dark Forces 3 Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i got the speed runs

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rutibex posted:

yeah chun li always wore leggings. now if they change sakuras character design I can see the fans being quite upset. concidering sakura is just "Ryu with panty shots"

They did change her for Street Fighter V, but...

...lmao.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
The most annoying part of speedrunning is people deciding old games were poorly written and "broken" because entire communities of obsessed people have been working 40 hours per week of their time probing for exploits and glitches for literal decades. Like I overheard people talking about Ocarina of Time as a broken game, which is ridiculous because the glitches in that game are pretty much never encountered in normal gameplay.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF6, especially, is a very solid game experience and I don't care how easy it is to absolutely destroy by speedrunners. There are a few bugs but I don't recall loving with any of them the first thousand times I played it, even the MDEF bug.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

DildenAnders posted:

The most annoying part of speedrunning is people deciding old games were poorly written and "broken" because entire communities of obsessed people have been working 40 hours per week of their time probing for exploits and glitches for literal decades. Like I overheard people talking about Ocarina of Time as a broken game, which is ridiculous because the glitches in that game are pretty much never encountered in normal gameplay.

Well, the really serious stuff, no, you're right, you'd never encounter that in normal play. But it is virtually impossible to play a casual playthrough of OOT without encountering several minor glitches. I'm thinking of stuff like "broken stick glitch," which is easy to activate accidentally when fighting certain enemies with Deku Sticks, crouch stabbing, which is as easy to activate as holding R (to shield) and pressing B (attack) while not z-targeting (because the devs simply forgot to assign damage values to that particular kind of sword swing), and seeing through walls occasionally. The casual player maybe will not realize broken stick is a glitch, nor will they even notice anything special is going on with crouch stabbing, but they're still glitches that happen a lot.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm a purist, I consider ff6's magic evade bug to be a part of the quintessential experience because that's how the physical cart was printed. If you exploit it, whether knowingly or not, that's on you; but because it doesn't crash the game, it is neither a good nor a bad thing that it exists at all.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I dread the day I hear We're Finally Landing in public and have to explain to people I know that a video game speedrunning record is about to be broken.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jokes posted:

FF6, especially, is a very solid game experience and I don't care how easy it is to absolutely destroy by speedrunners. There are a few bugs but I don't recall loving with any of them the first thousand times I played it, even the MDEF bug.

I lost my save the first time I played it because I had the gall to use one of the character's special abilities.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Random Stranger posted:

I lost my save the first time I played it because I had the gall to use one of the character's special abilities.

Never use Relm

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

jokes posted:

Never Always use Relm

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

jokes posted:

FF6 got so glitchy by the endgame that I literally couldn’t finish it. Might have had something to do with using one of those retranslation patches, but as I understand it that can just kind of happen anyway if you spend a little too much time grinding.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
99 Economizers and I have General Leo facing backwards in my party. gently caress. YES.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Six is a hard game to finish because it's really bad, not because of the glitches and bugs

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dewgy posted:

FF6 got so glitchy by the endgame that I literally couldn’t finish it. Might have had something to do with using one of those retranslation patches, but as I understand it that can just kind of happen anyway if you spend a little too much time grinding.

It's almost certainly an issue with the patch. Pretty much the only thing the base game specifically dislikes is if you use Relm to sketch Gau, spawning 256 Dirks, and an assortment of other items, in your inventory. Otherwise, it's a game that will generally keep on truckin no matter what you throw at it, including putting dummied-out guest members into your party, and spawning the airship next to yourself as soon as you reach the world map at the very beginning of the game with half the story flags set

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i watched the SummoningSalt on Ninja Gaiden because I like that game but the guy who has the record has run the game forty thousand times. That is some CIA psychological torture Guantanamo Bay type poo poo. I can't even imagine. I haven't even put 40 thousand miles on my truck that I bought 4 years ago.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
legendoftotalwar has 25000 hours on total war games. a 40-year office career from college to retirement is 80000 hours

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you can speedrun a game in 2 minutes, 40,000 wins is about equal to two full playthroughs of Vikingssassin's Creed

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

legendoftotalwar has 25000 hours on total war games. a 40-year office career from college to retirement is 80000 hours

the ninja gaiden record is 11:35 so just going off that we're talking about 7722 hours. On only Ninja Gaiden on NES. No other game. At least there are like a dozen or so Total War games.

edit: lol the guy Arcus who ran the game 40k times doesn't even have the record anymore.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lmao if you think i'm putting as much effort into my generic office job as i do my games

to follow up on last week I can confirm World of Warcraft (classic) is still fun and good and kinda relaxing and what i need from a videogame. At least I think thats why i woke up at 4am with a strange urge to run the Deadmines

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Been dwelling on Elden Ring more and I think a pithy way to put my disappointment into words is that I like Dark Souls and I like Elder Scrolls, but the combination is rubbish. I think the combat system in Skyrim suits the game that it is. Much like in an MMO, I don't really want a very skill/twitch-based combat system in my open world RPG. The open world nature ruins a skill-based system because you get all sorts of tools and power to break the combat, even accidentally. And having the combat be skill-based just means you're constantly on edge and fighting is a chore when you want to explore. At least when I ran into yet another Draugr I could just left click them to death and move on. But when I run into yet another stone imp fucker, I have to pay actual attention to the combat even though I'm well over giving a toss about those guys long before the game stops throwing them at me. And there's no proper towns to just relax in and make the game world feel alive. Elden Ring is just relentless. Combat combat combat combat. It's just too much and too one-note for the game it comes from. The Dark Souls formula of smaller levels is vastly superior.

And repeating bosses in a skill-based combat game is stupid. Every repeated boss I enjoyed less overall when it was repeated. I don't mean the second time was less fun, I mean the second time added nothing and actively detracted from the first time. Like a terrible ending dragging down an entire show/game/whatever, the second boss reduced my opinion of the game overall.

It obviously succeeded commercially but I personally think Elden Ring is a failure of design.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 21, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elden Ring is diminished by being influenced too much by popular bad game franchise Elder Scrolls, it's true

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Elden Ring is the most overrated game since Breath of the Wild. A good game for sure but nowhere near an all-time great let alone the best in its own series. Assuming you look at ER as a Souls game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Phigs posted:

Been dwelling on Elden Ring more and I think a pithy way to put my disappointment into words is that I like Dark Souls and I like Elder Scrolls, but the combination is rubbish. I think the combat system in Skyrim suits the game that it is. Much like in an MMO, I don't really want a very skill/twitch-based combat system in my open world RPG. The open world nature ruins a skill-based system because you get all sorts of tools and power to break the combat, even accidentally. And having the combat be skill-based just means you're constantly on edge and fighting is a chore when you want to explore. At least when I ran into yet another Draugr I could just left click them to death and move on. But when I run into yet another stone imp fucker, I have to pay actual attention to the combat even though I'm well over giving a toss about those guys long before the game stops throwing them at me. And there's no proper towns to just relax in and make the game world feel alive. Elden Ring is just relentless. Combat combat combat combat. It's just too much and too one-note for the game it comes from. The Dark Souls formula of smaller levels is vastly superior.

And repeating bosses in a skill-based combat game is stupid. Every repeated boss I enjoyed less overall when it was repeated. I don't mean the second time was less fun, I mean the second time added nothing and actively detracted from the first time. Like a terrible ending dragging down an entire show/game/whatever, the second boss reduced my opinion of the game overall.

It obviously succeeded commercially but I personally think Elden Ring is a failure of design.

Actually it owns, because all those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Elden Rings all right, I dunno, Dark Souls 1 is just more memorable