Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tribbledirigible posted:

Wing Commander: Prophecy had a couple of ships that kept inertia and those were my stand ins back in '98.

Yeah, it really needs Starfury's that can flip around and shoot the fighter chasing them, then flip back around and keep going on their attack run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

That's basically Elite: Dangerous with flight assist off.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TK-42-1 posted:

That's basically Elite: Dangerous with flight assist off.

Except that Elite: Dangerous is really boring

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Except that Elite: Dangerous is really boring

I like being a space trucker and delivering stuff to space stations. :(

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I like the show pretty a lot. If they get the reboot made, cool I guess. It’s probably better if they don’t, though. One of my favorite aspects of the show is their use of space newspapers. Then I think of what Star Trek: Discovery has done with the charming props and sets Star Trek had traditionally and how bad it’d be a with Babylon 5 reboot. Especially with a budget they’d get under the studio they’re under.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Babylon 5 is extremely dear to me and important. But i've been learning to just accept that if there is a reboot / more media for B5, then it doesn't really matter if it ends up bad. There is still the beloved original that will always exist. I don't always have to be an unhinged nerd.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

I said come in! posted:

Babylon 5 is extremely dear to me and important. But i've been learning to just accept that if there is a reboot / more media for B5, then it doesn't really matter if it ends up bad. There is still the beloved original that will always exist. I don't always have to be an unhinged nerd.

This has been where I'm at - I don't see any real downside to letting JMS have another shot just to see what happens.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. I wouldn't be happy about WB just deciding to resurrect some old IP they have and cash in, but the fact that it's JMS controlled and what he wants to do makes me much more confident it's worthwhile to make.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

JMS doing this as a passion project could mean it's either awesome or terrible, and I'll take that gamble because it'll at least be interesting. But yeah if it were someone trying to find an IP they can pin a new streaming service on, I'd be much more skeptical.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The thing I mostly worry about is that JMS is old enough that him living long enough to do a five year series is really not a sure thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

68 and with enough money to afford medical care isn't that old.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

At the rate life expectancy has been dropping, it will be in a few years.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CainFortea posted:

At the rate life expectancy has been dropping, it will be in a few years.

Life expectancy of America maybe. :P But we might all be dying along side JMS at the rate things are going.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
As long as he hires someone else to write or at least heavily proofread the dialog I'm good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe it was mentioned early on in the series, but why did Santiago ever pick Clark for his VP?

Was it a "well, I have to put someone from another party on my ticket to get enough votes" or does EarthGov function the way the US VP used to at the founding at the country, where the "runner up" got to be VP?

And considering some of Clark's "key people" and allies include the Psi-Corp and the Shadows, I don't doubt that some of his political maneuvering included forcing people to do stuff against their will, or just outright killing them in ways it looked like an accident or suicide so he could put someone else in their place.

I got the vibe that earth's government in general was overstepping itself and overestimating its place in the galaxy and just below the surface had an almost mirror universe federation feel. Like Clark is the biggest and most ambitious rear end in a top hat and will have people assassinated therefore the most factions liked him and so he became the most viable #2 person. I always took it that earth's most passionate people were already raring to go for a fascist dictator and that folks like Santiago were just more of a "deeply concerned" republican than Clark if had to put today's mindsets on them.

I said come in! posted:

Same, though in a way I do hope there's a reboot because it might get more people to watch the original for the first time. Plus if it sucks, I mean, it's not like Legend of the Rangers was particularly incredible. The original will always be fuckin amazing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1572361565634170881

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Whoop.

I’ve recently finished a rewatch and I hadn’t thought before about the pettiness of the ‘dedication’ at the end of the series. Hoping someone can stop JMS starting or ending the reboot with ‘I win again, haha’.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grand Fromage posted:

I have some bad news for you about Babylon 5's cast.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

I have some bad news for you about Babylon 5's cast.

That was part of the deal. There can be only one.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Babylon 5 is actually one of the few sci-fi shows from that era of television I'd want to see remade. It was ahead of its time in a lot of ways and chafed enough under the limitations of budget and technology that an update could be good under ideal conditions. Of course, ideal conditions are far from likely, but who knows?

I think what I'd be most skeptical of is a new cast. Andreas Katsulas and Peter Jurasik, in particular, feel almost irreplaceable.

Edit: been watching some clips out of nostalgia, and I love how Sheridan's perennial solution to difficult problems is nuclear explosions.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 21, 2022

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Gotta say, it's not every day that I see 50 new posts here.

(And I would be interested to see what JMS could do with a reboot.)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Small White Dragon posted:

Gotta say, it's not every day that I see 50 new posts here.

(And I would be interested to see what JMS could do with a reboot.)

I'm always worried when I see a lot of new posts in here :ohdear:

Thankfully, nobody died, and it was just an appeal by JMS to raise B5's social media profile. I really hope the reboot comes through.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

seaborgium posted:

Yeah, it really needs Starfury's that can flip around and shoot the fighter chasing them, then flip back around and keep going on their attack run.

Try Independence War if you want a ‘90s space sim with Newtonian physics. Your ship’s computer automatically compensates for slip (but not instantly) or you can hold a key and disable it if you want to do a 360 noscope.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Luigi Thirty posted:

Try Independence War if you want a ‘90s space sim with Newtonian physics. Your ship’s computer automatically compensates for slip (but not instantly) or you can hold a key and disable it if you want to do a 360 noscope.

And you can see those Newtonian physics on display in the 14 minute movie intro to the game!

https://youtu.be/ECfKL4oS-6w

This poo poo was mindblowing when it came out in 1997. Now it comes across as slightly cheesy but still cool.

Also the music reminds me of Babylon 5 a bit.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 21, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There were a lot of starfighter games back in the 90s contemporary with B5, and I assume a good amount of them have systems that let you do that. These days the genre isn't doing too well, but there's still a few. I think House of the Dying Sun has physics like that.

I do wonder whether fighters might end up less prominent if JMS had to do Babylon 5 again with less mandates forKeffer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

There were a lot of starfighter games back in the 90s contemporary with B5, and I assume a good amount of them have systems that let you do that. These days the genre isn't doing too well, but there's still a few. I think House of the Dying Sun has physics like that.

I do wonder whether fighters might end up less prominent if JMS had to do Babylon 5 again with less mandates forKeffer.

They were prominent enough in S1 before Keffer ever appeared. I actually think Keffer was a good cover for one of JMS's mistakes that we've remarked upon from time to time - why are the command staff flying these missions? Heck, Garibaldi flies one or two and he wasn't even a pilot. Done over I think we'd still get a Keffer to use in those situations, but an integral part of the cast rather than a bolt-on.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
There was lots of Starfury action in s1 with no Keffer, so unlikely imo

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
When I was a kid, "keff" was slang for a fart, so a "keffer" would be someone who farted a lot. That thought always popped back into my head every time I saw the season 2 opening credits.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The fighters were always an integral part of the show since it distinguished the CG based B5 (which could have huge space battles) from the model based Trek shows (where they were much more rare).

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

They were prominent enough in S1 before Keffer ever appeared. I actually think Keffer was a good cover for one of JMS's mistakes that we've remarked upon from time to time - why are the command staff flying these missions? Heck, Garibaldi flies one or two and he wasn't even a pilot. Done over I think we'd still get a Keffer to use in those situations, but an integral part of the cast rather than a bolt-on.

In West Wing a presidential candidate flew a fighter plane during campaign.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MikusR posted:

In West Wing a presidential candidate flew a fighter plane during campaign.

On a combat mission?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Jedit posted:

On a combat mission?

Heck no. He was a Marine reservist who flew F-18s, and he got photographed doing what reserve pilots do when they're not deployed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Heck no. He was a Marine reservist who flew F-18s, and he got photographed doing what reserve pilots do when they're not deployed.

Exactly. Sinclair and Ivanova were out there patrolling for raiders, and we've frequently asked why the actual fighter pilots weren't doing it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I just took it as part of the setting that Babylon 5 was incredibly short-staffed.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Jedit posted:

Exactly. Sinclair and Ivanova were out there patrolling for raiders, and we've frequently asked why the actual fighter pilots weren't doing it.

Sinclair was a Starfury pilot, and technically Earth wasn't at war with anyone. The CO getting in his flight qualification hours doing some random patrolling wouldn't be that crazy of a thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

JMS has said Earthforce people get flight pay if they do fighters, but that requires maintaining flight hours and if they stop going out, they lose the status and money. Thus.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Grand Fromage posted:

JMS has said Earthforce people get flight pay if they do fighters, but that requires maintaining flight hours and if they stop going out, they lose the status and money. Thus.

To be honest I'm surprised at even this amount of lamp-shading. Like, you can just shrug and say, "Dramatic license." It was a somewhat-experimental 90s sci-fi show with fantasy elements and eternally shaky network support. If in that context command staff flying combat missions bothers you, I don't know what to say.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

In universe, we know how poorly Earthforce pays, how good of a pilot he was, and how far down the list of Earth’s preferred commanders Sinclair was. It does seem weird that the Minbari allowed him to put himself in danger like that, though.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Tachyon: The Fringe had inertia based flying and was a tremendously fun space sim back in the day. Missions and interactions were different based on your wingman and best of all... Main character is voiced by Bruce Campbell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev1bfSd1qZw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I always thought the voice actor for the protagonist in Descent 2 sounded like Bruce Boxleitner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT5U4LMiF7M

It's not inertia-based but had 6 degrees of freedom, so there's that.