Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You have to understand that the husbands literal entire identity is probably being a person who drives a truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Polo-Rican posted:

chicago has the second-best public transit in the country. (unfortunately "the country" is the united states)

dxt posted:

Chicago's public transport is among the best in the country lol

Lmbo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

mystes posted:

You have to understand that the husbands literal entire identity is probably being a person who drives a truck

she says he's an accountant so yeah

mystes
May 31, 2006

He just needs a cheaper male compensation/cosplay fantasy hobby like collecting knives or something imo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

He could get really into Kei trucks

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

New Jersey actually has a handful of towns with nice direct rail access to NYC. Orange, South Orange, West Orange, Maplewood, etc... the rail runs right through the town and it's actually possible to walk to the stations from your home, which is absurdly rare in the united states

check it out... a rail line that gets you to manhattan in 20 minutes, which isn't cut off from the town itself! there are houses, businesses, and restaurants on the same street!!
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7315728,-74.2756988,3a,65.2y,183.08h,91.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEHyzd8UoEeyGj1t-jBr9hA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

(NJ also realizes how valuable this is, and property taxes in those areas are absolutely absurd - much higher than in nyc itself)

where are you getting 20 minutes from lol

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
The buses in Chicago are pretty awful in the best of weather, and the L often has delays or not enough trains for the amount of people during rush hour. So, you end up waiting on the platform as train after train passes you by. I never really experienced that in northern Italy outside of strikes. Berlin, Munich, Vienna, Stockholm all kick Chicago's rear end.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

actionjackson posted:

the beautiful town of secaucus

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Cars suck! I hate them.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Saw a car fly down a road that has been converted to a no cars road. Good thing there was nobody on it or it could have been bad.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, as bad as the DC metro has been having it, no way is it worse than the L. The more you live outside the US, the more you realize how humiliating and depressing it is to live there without a car.

India has 6 new metro systems being built to put the US in perspective.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:03 on Sep 19, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

the beautiful town of secaucus

yeah it's just over an hour it looks like, which is still awesome of course, but i was like 20 min is it a bullet train

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The responses to that are amazing, including one guy shrieking at her that she shouldn't be making financial demands of the man she's having a third child with, and another post saying she should have asked herself if she could afford a third child before getting pregnant instead of expecting her husband to downsize.

lmao you aint kidding "compromise by buying an suv" ???

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
it’s cheaper to rent a truck/van whenever or get poo poo delivered than to own a pickup. I love pickupbrain losers treating it like some savvy utilitarian choice. all pickup owners are Hank Hill before he realizes the car dealship has been ripping him off for like 25 years

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

leftist heap posted:

it’s cheaper to rent a truck/van whenever or get poo poo delivered than to own a pickup. I love pickupbrain losers treating it like some savvy utilitarian choice. all pickup owners are Hank Hill before he realizes the car dealship has been ripping him off for like 25 years

Whenever I walk past the house of my neighbour who owns a Dodge Ram I can't help but think of how small the cargo bay is relative to the size of the vehicle. The whole thing just seems impractical. This is in Australia, so he would have had to pay to import it as well because Dodge don't have any dealerships here.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

often have to move furniture because of young kids??

mystes
May 31, 2006

cowboy beepboop posted:

often have to move furniture because of young kids??
They might have to replace the furniture every five years as the kids grow up. Definitely worth owning a truck for.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I hate cars and regressive politics but I still enjoy watching old Top Gear/The Grand Tour

am I a bad leftist

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I hate cars and regressive politics but I still enjoy watching old Top Gear/The Grand Tour

am I a bad leftist

No laughing at the cocks that are James, jaremy, Richard is very fun.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mystes posted:

One weird trick to get americans to ride rail

GM use to make locomotives.

Like you putter around in your 6.7L turbo diesel all you like sweetie, this EMD SD70 has 4000hp, 16 cylinders, and can tow a 50 car consist up a mountain and on down, which probably also included your little toy truck :smug:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
going to a dodger game and taking the dodger bus from union station. they gave it its own temp dedicated busway via cones now. very quick trip. godly. thank you Eric

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's funny how many hiking trail reviews/comments on AllTrails insist you'll need a truck or SUV to navigate service roads and get to trailheads. I have always managed just fine in a small sedan. They'll come up with whatever justification they need.

i used to take the company prius to hosed up mucky bumpy construction sites and offroad all the time lol. there's like only a few instances where a truck would have been of any use

i told my boomer boss to get a bench seat 2002 ranger or tacoma so we could do rock cores. instead he bought a 2020 jeep grand cherokee laredo suv piece of poo poo that died in a year. and because he loved it so much, he immediately bought a second one after the first one died.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Smythe posted:

going to a dodger game and taking the dodger bus from union station. they gave it its own temp dedicated busway via cones now. very quick trip. godly. thank you Eric

The first time I went to Dodger Stadium I saw the parking lot and knew that I had to GTFO by the 9th inning because gently caress being there when everyone else is leaving.

If only there was some way to efficiently transport 50,000 people to one place :thunk:

It's ok, Frank Mccourt has to make money so none of that is allowed. Also it might hurt someone's view of the freight yard and Two Towers jail.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Suplex Liberace posted:

Saw a car fly down a road that has been converted to a no cars road. Good thing there was nobody on it or it could have been bad.

sounds like you need some more bollards

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

actionjackson posted:

Hey man I was only like 100% off leave me alone

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

New Jersey actually has a handful of towns with nice direct rail access to NYC. Orange, South Orange, West Orange, Maplewood, etc... the rail runs right through the town and it's actually possible to walk to the stations from your home, which is absurdly rare in the united states

check it out... a rail line that gets you to manhattan in 20 minutes, which isn't cut off from the town itself! there are houses, businesses, and restaurants on the same street!!
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7315728,-74.2756988,3a,65.2y,183.08h,91.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEHyzd8UoEeyGj1t-jBr9hA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

(NJ also realizes how valuable this is, and property taxes in those areas are absolutely absurd - much higher than in nyc itself)

It's also a $7.75 fare to NY Penn and then you have to wait at the absolutely insane NJT area at NY Penn to run to the single door servicing the platform that only gets announced max 5 minutes before the train leaves. But yes, I acknowledge this is top tier by US public transit standards.

Also,

Harik posted:

Any structure within X feet of a road (like say a bus shelter?) must also be breakaway. obviously anyone in a bus shelter has no value to society anyway, not like a good car driver.

so conflicted. Man was in bus shelter but has car??

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i took home a bolt ev for a week from my company's fleet motor pool and drat its a lot of fun for being a car

still sucks poo poo because cars bad, but it's way more fun to drive than my hrv, and very small by 2022 americar standards.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Petanque posted:

sounds like you need some more bollards

Yah I agree big time

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisdoyle78/status/1571970917869449216

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
what was he doing there? why would he be there when he has a car?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

what was he doing there? why would he be there when he has a car?
It's very suspicious and clearly requires further investigation to determine if he should be charged with murdering himself.

He might have even committed the heinous crime of walking to the bus shelter.

mystes has issued a correction as of 13:46 on Sep 20, 2022

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

eXXon posted:

so conflicted. Man was in bus shelter but has car??

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I need a true crime podcast series looking into why this man was in the bus shelter

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2022/09/15/mile-high-city-halts-two-highway-expansions-and-gives-the-money-to-transit-instead/

quote:

Colorado will cancel two planned highway expansions, citing a new climate rule that advocates say should be a model for communities across America.

Officials at the Colorado Department of Transportation were set to announce on Thursday that they would halt plans to widen two freeways in the Denver region, including a particularly controversial project along Interstate 25 that would have deepened already-stark divides in some of the Mile High City’s most underserved low-income communities. Those included the Sun Valley and Valverde neighborhoods, both of which are bordered by the 4.5-mile stretch of road that would have been expanded, and whose residents already report some of the highest rates of asthma in the state.

CDOT’s decision to nix the project, along with the cancellation of a second highway expansion along Colorado Route 470 in the southeastern quadrant of the city, will free up more than $100 million in funding that the state says it will devote to enhancing the region’s bus rapid transit network and making the I-25 corridor safer and easier to navigate, particularly for people outside cars.

:aaaaa:

mystes
May 31, 2006

did someone check if they had their fingers crossed though? or maybe this is an early april fools joke?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mystes posted:

One weird trick to get americans to ride rail

id just like the trains on my wife to run on time :smith:

mystes
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

id just like the trains on my wife to run on time :smith:
Is your waifu a personified country?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cars stink and they give you cancer.

Posting from a car so I'll probably be dead in 40 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Guys, we solved pedestrian safety