Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Kyujo Trade Request: Terunofuji for Takakeisho, Mitakeumi or Shodai in that order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

KyujoTrade Request: Terunofuji for Takakeisho or Mitakeumi please.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I really, really want Ura to get two more wins.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

some kinda jackal posted:

I’ve been so consistently impressed by Tobizaru’s sumo. He’s definitely an ACTIVE rikishi, but it feels like he’s come a long way from the rodeo clown performance we got vs Hakuho.

He’s looked fantastic this basho even if he’s taken some losses. He is still all over the dohyo but he’s also disciplined in his attack and has really improved the drive in his hips when he gets the opening.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I am become Shodai, the destroyer of worlds.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Hilariously, no one has Hokutofuji, so no one benefited from his Day 8 kachi-koshi. It'll be really funny if he wins the dang thing.

thats not right, i have Hokutofuji and so does jmzero

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I too would like to trade out a kyujo Terunofuji for one of the Ozekis -- whoever is available, but I prefer Takakeisho

Eli949
Oct 23, 2008
Kyujo trade request: With Terunofuji out, next on my draft list is Takakeisho. Stay healthy and drive forward!

Finally caught up on the bouts, and wow, I have no idea how Hoshoryu pulled off that win over Takakeisho, but what a move!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Today I learned, the Kokugikan has a members-only lounge that is open during the three times a year sumo is in Tokyo: https://lounge.sumo.or.jp

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
For once I am okay with Hoshoryu looking smug as gently caress. That was insane.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm still really hyped about Tochimusashi. I hope he can make it into the top division for January.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I believe in the Juicy Takayasu Yusho Run

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
is Shodai getting demoted after this basho or is back on the chopping block next time?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

KungFu Grip posted:

is Shodai getting demoted after this basho or is back on the chopping block next time?

Next one. Going make-koshi in this bash means he's kadoban ("cornered"), and if he goes make-koshi a second time he is demoted.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Shiroc posted:

I'm still really hyped about Tochimusashi. I hope he can make it into the top division for January.

The lower divisions are really exciting this basho. Hokuseiho is kicking much rear end despite his "just stand up" tachiai and Atamifuji could possibly make his top division debut next time. And Asanoyama just lost, so one more basho in Makushita for him.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I’m not super impressed by Hokuseiho yet. He’s getting by on being huge but doesn’t seem like he has any technique. His first time in the top division will be interesting.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I ruffled a bunch of feathers in the midnightsumo chat when I pointed out Hokuseiho's utter lack of technique, for some reason. Dude's whole strategy is be tall and reach over people's back to grab the mawashi from behind so they have trouble taking advantage of his high center of gravity. He's hilarious. A 2 on technique, a 9.8 on Large. If Hakuho successfully teaches Hokuseiho any amount of technique he'll be a monster, if his knees can survive that long.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I ruffled a bunch of feathers in the midnightsumo chat when I pointed out Hokuseiho's utter lack of technique, for some reason. Dude's whole strategy is be tall and reach over people's back to grab the mawashi from behind so they have trouble taking advantage of his high center of gravity. He's hilarious. A 2 on technique, a 9.8 on Large. If Hakuho successfully teaches Hokuseiho any amount of technique he'll be a monster, if his knees can survive that long.

it's common across most sports i've watched to see genetic freaks coast to the big leagues only to run into a serious brick wall. most hyped prodigies wash out soon after.

a small handful turn out to be everything that was promised and then some like lebron james or francis ngannou but mostly they get forgotten.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It turns out that Hakuho can only train tiny guys with technique or giant oafs but can never bridge the gap.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
he's going to make hokuseiho and enho do the fusion dance

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I, for one, welcome our new Hokuenho Yokozuna.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Marching Powder posted:

he's going to make hokuseiho and enho do the fusion dance

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

thats not right, i have Hokutofuji and so does jmzero

You're right! I was looking for him in the M1-5 slot, because why would he be down below that? I've added his KK to your sheets.

Dead Goon posted:

drat time-zones, I was very confused when making my request!

Is kyujo replacement done automatically, as Terunofuji is broken?

Yep, auto-trading has taken place. The Y/O ranks have expanded to accept 1/2 of the field per wrestler, since there are only 3 left. Here's who got whom:

code:
Akiosan			Takakeisho
bessantj		Shodai
Dead Goon		Shodai
Eli949			Takakeisho
Gaghskull		Mitakeumi
Helianthus Annuus	Mitakeumi
Jobbo_Fett		Shodai
Khizan			Takakeisho
Lexorin			Mitakeumi
Lid			Mitakeumi
Liquid Communism	Takakeisho
LlamaTrauma		Mitakeumi
Maigius			Shodai
Neodoomium		Mitakeumi
ratmosphere		Takakeisho
Robviously		Mitakeumi
S.W.O.R.D. Agent	Takakeisho
scripterror		Takakeisho
Takuan			Takakeisho
Teddybear		Takakeisho
Tiny Bug Child		Shodai
whats for dinner	Takakeisho
Day 10 standings

Makuuchi
code:
36	Netsky
35	Eli949
34	Banana Canada
34	Crusty Nutsack
33	Charles Gnarwin
32	Communist Thoughts
32	Jobbo_Fett
32	scripterror
32	Takuan
31.5	bartolimu
31.5	jmzero
31	Mode 7
31	Saturnine Aberrance
30	Khizan
30	Lid
30	Marching Powder
30	MyChemicalImbalance
30	Thauros
30	pseudodragon
29	anakha
29	Ice Phisherman
29	Tochiazuma
28	bessantj
28	Iron Chef Nex
28	NuclearPotato
27.5	Vargatron
27	Kenning
27	whats for dinner
27	Everyones Favorite Poster
26.5	Flinger
26	Tiny Bug Child
25	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
24.5	GoatSeeGuy
24	Fluffdaddy
23	Neodoomium
21.5	Chinook
21	Robviously
21	Teddybear
15.5	sivad
15.5	ullerrm
Juryo
code:
33	Gaghskull
33	Helianthus Annuus
32	ilmucche
31	MalarkeyToboggan
30	LlamaTrauma
29	Ben Nerevarine
29	ratmosphere
27	Brut
27	Maigius
27	Pakled
27	KungFu Grip
26	Kuros
26	Lexorin
25.5	PJ
24.5	Biosys
24.5	Liquid Communism
24.5	oldskool
24	Boogalo
23.5	Enfys
23.5	Log082
23	Akiosan
22	Dead Goon
22	Xerzes
20.5	Mekchu
20.5	QuasiQuack
20.5	rare Magic card l00k
16.5	Bentai

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Also, this is important:

https://clips.twitch.tv/OutstandingPopularChickpeaAliens-uLLLRybT2D13d7Lx

h/t ratmosphere for this one

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Holy poo poo, Tobizaru v. Ura was an awesome match.
Tobizaru has, generally, been producing some of my favourite sumo to watch this basho - I hope he lands a special prize for his efforts!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Shodai.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I was this close to trading Wakatakakage after that 0-3 start since I was worried he'd go mk with the upper sanyaku matches not done yet.

Hell of a comeback for him to hit kk while winning 8 straight in the process.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Lid posted:

Shodai.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Lid posted:

Shodai.

Shodai

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Thank you Kenning!

SHODAI

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Happy to see Wakataka catch a KK with a couple of days left to get a nice comfortable record for this basho. Still holding hope for an ozeki run in the near future. Watching him and Hoshoryu is always a treat too.

I'm kinda thinking that Tochinoshin will catch an MK tomorrow and then bow out? He's been looking pretty rough in his last couple bouts.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

Holy poo poo, Tobizaru v. Ura was an awesome match.
Tobizaru has, generally, been producing some of my favourite sumo to watch this basho - I hope he lands a special prize for his efforts!

It was such a good match.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Yep, auto-trading has taken place. The Y/O ranks have expanded to accept 1/2 of the field per wrestler, since there are only 3 left. Here's who got whom:

code:
bessantj		Shodai

Sorry bit confused, why have I got Shodai? Is Mitakeumi out?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Yeah, I was slightly confused on why I got Mitakeumi but figured it was because I already traded once this basho or something.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Three of my heya members are in yusho contention and only one of them is the one I’d expect. I’m thinking Mitakeumi drops ozeki next basho. Dude wasn’t a strong promotion when it happened and it is showing.

Tobizaru/Ura was awesomely weird. A match that has no tachiai and yea has more headbutts than anything else this whole tournament.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I’m thinking Mitakeumi drops ozeki next basho. Dude wasn’t a strong promotion when it happened and it is showing.

Strongly disagree. Mitakeumi went 9-6, 11-4 and 13-2 to meet the requirements for ozeki, and WON that third basho as well. He then went 11-4 in his first basho as ozeki to cement that he earned the rank.

We don't know if he currently has nagging injuries or has covid-related side effects. Maybe he's perfectly healthy. But proclaiming him a weak promotion off of two basho when he submitted strong performances the 4 bashos before that is being too reactionary.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Lid posted:

Shodai.

Shodai gonna Shodai. I love that he has diehard Japanese fans too, as he should.

Also, echoing that the Tobi/Ura match was great. Tobi should get a fighting spirit prize and ura absolutely deserves the special technique prize after pulling out the first instance of that one kimarite in 20 years.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mitakeumi's issue is that he is consistently good (by the standards of top 10 in the world, to be clear) with the occasional great performance, and when you have a drop in performance whether due to injury or COVID or whatever, that means your margin for error becomes nothing. He came pretty close to reaching Ozeki 4 years ago and could have regularly held onto the spot. It's unfortunate that the bug finally hit him once he got over the hump, so it makes him look like a fluke.

As opposed to Shodai who is a chaos elemental.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 21, 2022

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Mitakeumi's been an (inconsistent) ozeki in everything but title for years, able to beat everyone on his day, consistently getting his KK, and turning in an annual pair of double-digit, yusho-contending performances, all while in sanyaku. Sad to see him experiencing his first full-on slump so soon after making ozeki, but if it's an injury thing, at least he's still on the right side of 30 to eventually recover and find his footing near the top of the sport again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

I think we’re past the point of Takakeisho being able to put together a yokozuna bid, so I do wonder how long we go without one if Terunofuji retires soon. You have to think it would be from the next crop of ozeki (WKK already came close and it feels like he’s on the cusp of locking down in the next year). Having said that, feel free to quote this when Shodai goes kadoban then wins two yushos and gets the rope and decides his dohyo-iri style by flipping a coin.