Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Which is better than some rear end in a top hat c-suite person at aetna taking as much money as they can and telling everyone to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Got some bad news for you friend

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Azuth0667 posted:

Which is better than some rear end in a top hat c-suite person at aetna taking as much money as they can and telling everyone to deal with it.

This is the highest purpose someone can fill in society. At least you got to witness.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

euphronius posted:

The details of how a fired lawyer gets paid are in the representation agreement

I finally got mine out to look and there isn't really anything. Just says that their payment is entirely contingent unless they withdraw for cause or are discharged. Doesn't have any details beyond that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bird with big dick posted:

I finally got mine out to look and there isn't really anything. Just says that their payment is entirely contingent unless they withdraw for cause or are discharged. Doesn't have any details beyond that.

Even if the agreement doesn't say so, caselaw does. They'll file a lien on your recovery for quantum meruit and a new lawyer you hire while fight it out with them for the fee.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I know.

What sucks is this attorney has basically/probably/essentially hoovered up 1/3 of the easy insurance money which makes it less attractive for the next attorney, if I decide I really need to drop her.

Having a whiskey smash thanks to the Legal Questions thread again :hf:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
What state are you in

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What state are you in

Going to guess "inebriated"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The case is in Oregon.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

bird with big dick posted:

The case is in Oregon.

https://oregon.public.law/statutes/ors_87.445

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hi I'd like to sue the Ron desandis for human trafficking to be arrested as an aggrieved delaware resident how does this work?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Probably a 1983 claim in your local federal district court

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think you have standing tho

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why not? As a resident of the state of Delaware wouldn't I have standing that someone is conducting human trafficking within my state which therefore affects me?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No .

Here read this https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/standing

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What, so like I have to petition my attorney General to pursue criminal action?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am assuming this is a hypothetical

If you really are serious you need to call a lawyer in Delaware

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Asproigerosis posted:

What, so like I have to petition my attorney General to pursue criminal action?

So you're doing comedy on a comedy forum, but by definition "sue" is not a criminal proceeding. Lawsuits are not criminal charges. Doesn't matter if they personally stabbed you in the parking lot. You can complain to the police who might tell the attorney general who might bring it to a grand jury, etc. But that's about it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well you’d have a civil suit for damages

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

euphronius posted:

Well you’d have a civil suit for damages

Tell them you run a competing human trafficking business, and Desantis's stunt is cutting into your profits. Now you have standing.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

pseudanonymous posted:

Tell them you run a competing human trafficking business, and Desantis's stunt is cutting into your profits. Now you have standing.

I like my chances of winning in delaware business court if I had a delaware business tbh

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
In Alaska you can bring suit for a peace bond. Like if someone is threatening you with a future crime you can bring an action in the district court, and require them to post bail promising not to commit the crime. If they do commit the crime, it's extra bad because it's also contempt and the bail is forfeit.

I've never seen it used, but you could ask a Delaware lawyer about a peace bond.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

In news about actually plausible consequences:
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1572035349425127426

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Can anyone explain the theory of social media as a common carrier to me?

What does this Texas law mean and how does it work, functionally.

Because lol @ "truth social can eliminate viewpoints but Facebook and Twitter can't"

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
If you get stuck doing enough rounds of interviews and projects for a company during the interview/application process can you charge them for the work? Say you you do 5 interviews 3 of which you actively perform work for them and complete a research project that takes 20 or so hours. Can you then charge that company for the time you spent regardless of if they hire you?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Zauper posted:

Can anyone explain the theory of social media as a common carrier to me?

What does this Texas law mean and how does it work, functionally.

Because lol @ "truth social can eliminate viewpoints but Facebook and Twitter can't"

1) I'd just read it. The first four sentences give you their explanation.
2) You might have to unfriend some people who'd otherwise be in Facebook jail? It's not obvious to me that the effect would be super dramatic. Violation of the law results in the right to sue for injunctive relief and attorney's fees, but not damages.
3) It would apply to them too, if they had 50 million users. You see this kind of thing in the law a lot, where some law will say "this regulation shall apply to businesses with more than X workers", because it's impractical for Jose's Taco Truck to pay for having nutrition facts measured for everything they sell but you still want McDonald's to have to do it. Sometimes these laws are more specifically aimed at a particular business, where (say) Walmart is the only company with more than X workers in the state. Incidentally this provision also keeps Something Awful's eclectic probation/ban scheme in the clear.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Azuth0667 posted:

If you get stuck doing enough rounds of interviews and projects for a company during the interview/application process can you charge them for the work? Say you you do 5 interviews 3 of which you actively perform work for them and complete a research project that takes 20 or so hours. Can you then charge that company for the time you spent regardless of if they hire you?

No, but unless you signed something assigning ownership of the work to them, they don't own whatever you made.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Dear Lawyer Goons: I need to find a Real Estate Lawyer (or the right kind of lawyer to draft a Tenants in Common Contract for a home that myself + another party want to co-buy). The home is in MN. How do I find a lawyer for this. Do just find one from the MN Bar website?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Dear Lawyer Goons: I need to find a Real Estate Lawyer (or the right kind of lawyer to draft a Tenants in Common Contract for a home that myself + another party want to co-buy). The home is in MN. How do I find a lawyer for this. Do just find one from the MN Bar website?

Before you talk to the lawyer, go to E/N and let them talk you out of buying a house with another person

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes but also noooooooooooooooooo.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There is a nonzero chance that this experience ends in a real doozy of an E/N thread - I'm keenly aware.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

euphronius posted:

Yes but also noooooooooooooooooo.

3of my friends went in alon the purchase of an apartment building. I wasn't interested because I hate rental property. Tell me how they should have done it and how they probably screwed up.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

daslog posted:

3of my friends went in alon the purchase of an apartment building. I wasn't interested because I hate rental property. Tell me how they should have done it and how they probably screwed up.
Being in business together, presumably with a clear partnership agreement (or corporation with well defined ownership) is one thing. Buying a house that you live in with someone else who isn't actively your spouse is almost always going to lead to trouble. Think any roommate drama you've ever had but now your life savings is also tied into it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Asporgesis was the lead plantiff

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

daslog posted:

Imagine an acrimonious divorce but with less warmth and good fellings and civility .

They would be a good case result .

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

Yeah, I've been asked to go in on an 'investment' a few times, but never would. For this house, we both are just going to live in it. We both could each pay for it ourselves, but instead of being in debt for decades, we are instead in debt for years this way. We have some pretty clear ideas about what the exit terms are (pending a lawyer). Neither of us have, or will have kids (although that is part of the exit clause in the unlikely event it happens). We are both engineers - we both recently got perma WFH. We are kinda living the dream of buying a big fuckin' house in the middle of nowhere and living that dream.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who is the lawyer representing ?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Who is the lawyer representing ?

Ostensibly, both of us. Maybe this is a detail I'm ignorant of. The whole idea is that we have terms we've agreed on written in 'not lawyer' language, and we want to hire a lawyer to do whatever it takes to make that legal in addition to guiding a conversation around anything we might have missed.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Ostensibly, both of us. Maybe this is a detail I'm ignorant of. The whole idea is that we have terms we've agreed on written in 'not lawyer' language, and we want to hire a lawyer to do whatever it takes to make that legal in addition to guiding a conversation around anything we might have missed.

A lawyer cannot ethically represent both of you in this transaction, you are adverse parties. You should each have your own lawyer to evaluate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Representation doesn’t work like that . She (the lawyer ) has to represent one of you only .

I suppose there are ways the lawyer could devise ethics waivers around it but now you are signing ethics waivers so what does that tell you