Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Littlefinger was only out for himself and would cause the Kingdom to fall into chaos just because he would benefit from it.

I've never got the same impression from Otto. His main concern seems to be the stability of the realm and would use any means to achieve it. Lying about Rhaenyra and Daemon, pimping out his daughter etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Maybe should have had the 'if you gently caress this up everyone you know and love will be murdered' talk beforehand hey Otto

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh yeah, Criston is the show's biggest dumbass so far.

this is just what happens when you study the blade for too drat long

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chemtrailologist posted:

His main concern seems to be the stability of the realm and would use any means to achieve it. Lying about Rhaenyra and Daemon, pimping out his daughter etc.

The most destabilizing thing to have happened so far is the birth of a prince which Otto caused.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Wasn't Otto also against supporting Corlys fight off the Crab King?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Super Deuce posted:

Otto got himself fired. He overplayed his hand in a really stupid way. Alicent is a victim of her father’s manipulation, not being manipulated by Rhaenyra. (gently caress autocorrect hates GRRM names)

At this point we’re to believe King Goon thinks Rhaenyra and Matt Daemon banged, but it doesn’t matter because she’s the heir and Otto is a fool to have questioned it so brazenly. Otto is Littlefinger, in that his machinations cause the conflict and is the overall bad guy.

Rhaenyra is going to have to do some actually bad stuff soon for us to not see her faction as clearly the good guys.

I agree, I was talking about Alicent's perspective.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

The most destabilizing thing to have happened so far is the birth of a prince which Otto caused.

Only because he thinks both Daemon and Rhaenyra would make terrible rulers in their own way. Haven't seen much to think he's wrong about this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chemtrailologist posted:

Only because he thinks both Daemon and Rhaenyra would make terrible rulers in their own way. Haven't seen much to think he's wrong about this.

Love to start civil wars to prevent a mean guy from being king

I'm sure the fact that it's his family line now in the dynasty is a happy accident for Otto. Pleasant surprise my grandkids can be kings

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The irony is that Otto is manipulating the king for his own advantage, but in this particular instance that got him banished he was being completely honest and acting in the realms best interests.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Toplowtech posted:

LOL When you know some of Alicent's future choices. LMAO.
Take this poo poo to the spoiler thread.

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, dude was letting his personal animosity cloud his judgment. His daughter had an in with Rhaenyra, no reason he couldn't have leveraged that to get in her good graces and remain hand even when she ascended to the throne.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I'm sure the fact that it's his family line now in the dynasty is a happy accident for Otto. Pleasant surprise my grandkids can be kings

I think there's enough in-universe precedence to suggest that a bad Targaryen king may be more than just "mean".

I should have mentioned that if Otto can impower his House while advising, he'll definitely do that.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Toplowtech posted:

LOL When you know some of Alicent's future choices. LMAO.

:rolleyes:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

PostNouveau posted:

He pushed the king hard to remarry when the obvious best path would have been to keep the king single and shore up the dynasty by getting Rheanyra married.
Otto explicitly pushed the king not to remarry, citing his own dead wife. He was running a longer game with Alicent but was getting outmaneuvered by everyone demanding Viserys take the child bride and got lucky the king couldn't help himself.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

PostNouveau posted:

betrothing rhaenyra and aegon frankly isn't that bad an idea from a political stability standpoint

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Yeah but admit it, it's a GoT related thread, the question shouldn't be who is the sociopath, but who is the less sociopathic.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Otto explicitly pushed the king not to remarry, citing his own dead wife. He was running a longer game with Alicent but was getting outmaneuvered by everyone demanding Viserys take the child bride and got lucky the king couldn't help himself.
Then the question becomes "did he push him not strongly enough on purpose, using his really sad own situation as a way to encourage him to remarry with that child he threw at him (also she should definitively wear her mother dress)?"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

Pretty sure that was just because if he was telling the king to get married it would be extremely suspicious to push anyone besides the politically best choice child bride.

"For the good of the realm. You should definitely marry my daughter" woulda gotten him fired then and there, it's too blatant.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Toplowtech posted:

LOL … LMAO.

Oh I see this thread is also plagued with people posting not-spoilers wink wink nudge nudge style. gently caress off man.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

betrothing rhaenyra and aegon frankly isn't that bad an idea from a political stability standpoint

Yeah, once the damage is done. Find some other way to smooth things over with Corlys and Rhanys

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyway, am I reading into it wrong or was there going to be some kind of coup/murderfest before the messenger came and told them help was on the way?

I suppose you could look at it that way, but Corlys seems pretty loyal / allied to Daemon. He argued for Daemon being the obvious heir when the succession was brought up, and he's relied on Daemon to be his proxy a few times in dealing with the king.

I interpreted it more like a "maybe we need to reconsider this whole idea and maybe pack up and go home" kind of deal, rather than a near-coup.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah but admit it, it's a GoT related thread, the question shouldn't be who is the sociopath, but who is the less sociopathic.

Then the question becomes "did he push him not strongly enough on purpose, using his really sad own situation as a way to encourage him to remarry with that child he threw at him (also she should definitively wear her mother dress)?"
For sure he clearly saw his Alicent scheme fading and was trying to maintain his positioning, I was just pushing back on how it went down. He would have been just as happy letting things develop slowly.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Super Deuce posted:

Rhaenyra is going to have to do some actually bad stuff soon for us to not see her faction as clearly the good guys.

Her relationship with Cristen is pretty darn predatory, so she's already got that going against her.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

She's also disdainful of the commonfolk, something even Daemon advises her not to be.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

PizzaProwler posted:

Her relationship with Cristen is pretty darn predatory, so she's already got that going against her.

Roman Reigns posted:

She's also disdainful of the commonfolk, something even Daemon advises her not to be.

Yeah, she already has makings of a pretty dangerous monarch. Her foreign policy views (what little we know of them) seem to be aggressive and domineering. She's all in on royal absolutism, and is disdainful of politicking/internal diplomacy.

She's a lot more like Daemon than Viserys.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I have a slightly more nuanced view of Otto as the Hand. As Viserys says, "Everyone on the Small Council is self-interested...", the trick for the king is to always see where their self interest lies and try to account for that in counsel. Otto is actually a pretty easy person to gauge his self interest because he is not subtle at all. On that matter, so is Corlys. They both give advice with their self-interest easy to see on their sleeves. For example, Corlys is pushing for a war in the Stepstones not only because it's good for the realm (maybe?) but mostly because he makes all his money off sea trade and it's crimping his profits. Corlys is pushing for marrying one of his kids into the dynasty not just because it would stabilize the realm, but mostly because he is harboring a giant grudge because his wife was never made queen. So when dealing with advice from Corlys, the king has to keep all that in mind and take the guy's hissy-fits in stride when he chooses to weigh the realm above the wants of Lord Corlys Velaryon. I mean, for fucks sake, Corlys suggested his own son be the heir in the first episode.

Otto is very similar. It's really obvious what his self-interest is, and everyone can see it. He constantly makes suggestions that would bring his grandson closer to the throne, but when he's NOT doing that, his advice is pretty solid. The kingdom probably SHOULD stay out of war in the Stepstones. Daemon IS a giant chaos elemental and absolutely should never be let near the throne. Rhaenyra IS more like her uncle than her dad, and might be a similar chaos elemental if she gets the throne.

When you remove Otto you now have to start asking, what does the new Hand want? What is his self-interest? What does Lyonel Strong want? Most viewers seem to love the dude. He gives great advice and never seems to be pushing his self interest. So what is his self-interest? Both his sons are at court. One of his sons was planting poison seeds in the Queen's ear. Did his dad tell him to do that? Did he do it on his own? The fact that we have no clue is what makes the Strongs so much more dangerous than Otto ever was.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

sure okay posted:

A minor part. Here's his real career making moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBp6exx2kZM

Why did you do this. I just got over the fact that he wears those goddam busted-rear end NB sneakers for the rest of the movie. He is literally doing the “look at my amazing new body, now I can dress awesome” montage scene and still wears those loving sneakers for the rest of the movie. He loving dies wearing them.. It’s an absolute bizarre character choice.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, that scene isn't scored to Preston Jacobs' royalty-free intro music?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Anonymous Zebra posted:

What does Lyonel Strong want? Most viewers seem to love the dude. He gives great advice and never seems to be pushing his self interest. So what is his self-interest? Both his sons are at court. One of his sons was planting poison seeds in the Queen's ear. Did his dad tell him to do that? Did he do it on his own? The fact that we have no clue is what makes the Strongs so much more dangerous than Otto ever was.

See this is the interesting part, right, because from their brief discussion about Alicent's dress, it looks like Hawrin and Larys have a good relationship. And then all Lyonel has to do is nod to get Harwin to rescue Rhaenyra. So at least on the surface the Strongs are a mutually supportive family, so why does it look like Larys is freelancing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

sure okay posted:

A minor part. Here's his real career making moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBp6exx2kZM

What’s the context for this for someone who’s never watched a doctor who?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

At this point I'm just assuming that a young, waifish, platinum haired gal broke the big guy's heart and he just can't stop telling stories about how they're obvious tyrants who nonetheless blind everybody around them.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, she already has makings of a pretty dangerous monarch. Her foreign policy views (what little we know of them) seem to be aggressive and domineering. She's all in on royal absolutism, and is disdainful of politicking/internal diplomacy.

She's a lot more like Daemon than Viserys.

yeah agreed, there's already a bunch of red flags. So far it seems like Alicent would be the better choice but that just might be because we haven't seen a ton of her

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Vegetable posted:

Goofy rear end storytelling to have a dude narrating the significance of green in the moment though. Would be better if they breadcrumbed it by having that significance mentioned earlier in the episode. Then it’d be a real mic-drop oh-poo poo moment.

The fact that other people picked up on it was the most important part of the scene though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like I have no idea what they're going for at this point with Viserys's health. Consumption? Greyscale?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like I have no idea what they're going for at this point with Viserys's health. Consumption? Greyscale?

That gif of Mr. Burns with all the diseases

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sepsis from constantly being cut by rusted old swords.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i think its the sepsis thing but i dont think it matters. people would just get poo poo and die "back then", in this fantasy time. he got sick and they leeched him for 20 years. Joseph Lister Beesbury has yet to make his fantastical discovery into the wonders of antiseptics.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The last Beesbury got his rear end kicked and killed by King Jaeherys, they’re avoiding Kings Landing for the time being.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s the context for this for someone who’s never watched a doctor who?

Hes just Morbin' around there, not Dr. Who.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Morrow posted:

The irony is that Otto is manipulating the king for his own advantage, but in this particular instance that got him banished he was being completely honest and acting in the realms best interests.

He was wrong though. He made a huge overreach in taking an assumption as fact. She *would* have hosed Daemon, but it explicitly didn't happen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khal Drogo basically died of a booboo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Targs are also immune to a lot of things allegedly so I reckon he's probably getting intentionally sabotaged in some way. Also that line about treating his arm and the guy was like well it's fine don't worry about it let's just keep doing the same thing which resulted in his arm rotting off seemsreally suspicious