Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wibla posted:

Industrial automation is the worst.

Nah, it's the best, because:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The more I work in it the more I’m amazed that things aren’t literally on fire all the time

this

you have million dollar machines doing ridiculous things and only thing stopping a total disaster that would cause incredible property damage and potentially loss of life is the equivalent of a clown spinning plates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Was denied an entry level helpdesk/tech position in favor of someone with a ton of experience. Who the hell is going around with a ton of experience taking a $20 an hour role?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Someone who either will get bored and leave after six weeks, or someone who's a "lifer": Their either lack skill, ambition, or are just happy with the tech/social nexus of helpdesk.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have an uncle who works on programming these huge million dollar window manufacturing machines.

We were talking one day and he showed me "under the hood" so to speak of how their software is installed on a machine and the requirements for it on the factory floor. It required local admin rights, had hard coded creds in a conf file, just all the greatest security hits.

He basically said his company pays a lot for the robot folks and pays a lot for him and the programming team. Beyond that they dont give a poo poo and toss it to the customer to try and lock down, and most dont even try to do that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Someone who either will get bored and leave after six weeks, or someone who's a "lifer": Their either lack skill, ambition, or are just happy with the tech/social nexus of helpdesk.

There are also people who burned out and need a chance to step back and recover.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Shout out to my team for moving hardware I wasn't done working on and not telling me. Spent the last 45 minutes looking for em.

I basically have to wait for the team meeting at 2 to do anything

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Don't say that, they'll move the team meeting to 9

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So we are reviewing our tools for possible new purchases. What remote administration tools do you guys like to use?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
RSAT?
iLO?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Actually client based remote support like dameware and beyond trust

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Actually client based remote support like dameware and beyond trust

Not Rescue by LogMeIn. Its crap, at least from the actual technician's end.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So we are reviewing our tools for possible new purchases. What remote administration tools do you guys like to use?

Bomgar is pretty good for end user support issues.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

We use splashtop and it's fine enough.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Zil posted:

Not Rescue by LogMeIn. Its crap, at least from the actual technician's end.

Can confirm, machines go offline in a matter of days for unattended installs

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If this is for internal stuff then a suite of tools that can work with vPro would be a good bet, so you can provide remote support to people down to the BIOS level.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Bomgar / beyondtrust

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Inner Light posted:

Are you saying 70k is too high or low? Depending on the role description that sounds about typical for average CoL.

I'm making 68k in a public job in the Southeast. It's decent scratch for what is essentially desktop support/consulting.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thanks guys, I knew about bomgar/beyondtrust already but splashtop is new to me. Gonna take a look at it to see if they meet the base requirements before we start focus testing them

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I think powershell lets you remote in as well. We gave it a shot but couldn’t pass credentials through so it was back to dameware and RDP

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hotel Kpro posted:

I think powershell lets you remote in as well. We gave it a shot but couldn’t pass credentials through so it was back to dameware and RDP

Yeah, I used to use powershell on some rare cases to start remote attended sessions but for some hosed up reasons we cant start any powershell sessions in our admin computers in my current job.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Thanks guys, I knew about bomgar/beyondtrust already but splashtop is new to me. Gonna take a look at it to see if they meet the base requirements before we start focus testing them

Splashtop sucks. Its OK for small business, but if you need anything beyond the basics it will fail. If you have the budget get Bomgar.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Hotel Kpro posted:

There's some WSMan configuration that has to be set up to allow credentials to pass through remote sessions. That can all be set through GPOs. Here's some initial review.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, I used to use powershell on some rare cases to start remote attended sessions but for some hosed up reasons we cant start any powershell sessions in our admin computers in my current job.

PSRemoting requires ports 5985 (normal/unencrypted) & 5986 (https/encrypted) open for communication. I'd blame firewalls first (because I'm a Windows admin and I'll always blame firewalls, even before DNS (because DNS may be my responsibility)).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MS also have their own

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-endpoint-manager-blog/remote-help-a-new-remote-assistance-tool-from-microsoft/ba-p/2822622

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Can it still not do remote UAC? Because that was the dealbreaker for me the last time I looked at it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can elevate but when the support session ends the machine will be logged out to ensure no elevated processes are left running that could then be exploited. It's going to be something you have to run UAT for to see if that's acceptable or not.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

We use Proxy Pro and it works pretty well. It has a client that runs on the workstation that maintains a registration with the gateway server, so you can get a quick and dirty way to look up what machine a person is logged into and what ip they have. Also allows escalation session recording, remote management, and file transfer.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

It costs a cubic shitload unless you are edu, i would suggest against on price base only.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Cao Ni Ma posted:

ConnectWise.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Today's development in the world's least communicative software development company is that we're apparently spooling up to provide system metrics to support a collaboration project our biggest client is taking on. People with big titles are making promises for things that don't currently exist, and now I'm sitting in a room with the senior developer and lead system architect and we all have confused looks on our faces because we know little and less about what has been promised aside from the fact that we don't currently comply with the primary data reporting standard the big important people are promising to use.

It now falls on me, the technical writer and bootleg project manager, to wrangle this shitshow into something that gets done right the first time because I'm personally loving tired of looking at the thousand yard stares of our developers when they're told they need to modify the scope for the nth time.

:yotj: I wonder if I wedge myself into enough of these situations if I can pad out my resume enough to get a fancy directorship title somewhere else by the time I'm 40?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there not a product manager in this shitshow?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Dameware I liked a lot, the ability to force a session without user permissions was always great. Needs RPC to self-start it's agent, which may be a security issue. Preinstalled agent is fine. We never used the cloud functionality, so it was on-prem only.

Bomgar is really good, can move a session between agents, push/pull files easily, elevate in the 'background' if you want. No ability to force a session unless you preinstall the agent, which costs a lot extra in licensing.

ScreeMeet I do not like at all. Our test of it was integrated into SNOW, and boy did it suck in every way possible because of that. Maybe standalone it's different, but if it gets integrated into your ticketing system, god help you.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

We have dameware right now, its perfectly serviceable and all things considered its probably what the director is going to stick with just because licensing is significantly cheaper. But bomgar really does look nice.

Its funny because in the DoD the federal employees use dameware but the contractors use bomgar.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

ConnectWise.

We use this for remote support sessions, and while it does work fairly well most of the time, we've been having this super annoying issue lately where users are getting prompted for admin credentials when trying to launch the .exe to connect. And their support team basically just linked me to a FAQ page and told me to gently caress off, lol

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wibla posted:

The size of the shitshow is directly proportional to how involved IT is, at least in my experience. IT people generally have no loving clue about how to manage OT networks properly.

This is generally true. Campus networks are usually pretty simple and flat-ish. You have a voice vlan, some computer things on each floor/building, maybe a printer vlan with some NAC. The further you get from the datacenters and their networks the more forgiving the SLA becomes. No one gives a gently caress if you disconnect Joe Bob's phone for a minute to move a cable in an IDF, or when a VM stuns for two seconds due to snapshot shenanigans. Lots of the big infrastructure stuff gets shipped to the cloud for Amazon to worry about instead of you having to build some bespoke stack of crap in a rack somewhere. Corporate applications can be rigidly controlled, and you can enforce some semblance of secure practices on your userbase relatively easily if you bother to try.

Outside of larger systems with significant regulatory requirements (oil and gas, nuclear power etc), If you try to run your average OT network like that, you will get run out or develop impressive amounts of shadow IT as engineering and plant operations get together to go around you. It's more like building a hospital or working on a financial network. Same kinds of SLAs, some of the same demanding network stuff, and similar stakes where doing your job badly and letting it fall down can cause risk of bodily injury or death and enormous financial damage.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Oh gently caress I think forcing Modern Auth for connecting to o365 is gonna be a heavier lift than I was expecting.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

are you running office 2003 or something

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh gently caress I think forcing Modern Auth for connecting to o365 is gonna be a heavier lift than I was expecting.

Lmao, I don't even know how this is possible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

His erp system only supports simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah and it's really terrible of Microsoft to give such short notice for turning off basic auth! I mean ....

what's that they first announced it three years ago?

ah. well, nevertheless