Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Motronic posted:

I looked at $25k and had the exact opposite reaction you did

In a lot of places that's barely enough for just-above-builder-grade cabinets and appliances, and flooring. Not counting installation. Not counting plumbing/electrical/light fixtures/any carpentry that needs doing. Kitchens and bathrooms are the most expensive rooms to redo.
100%.

And then try getting someone to show the gently caress up and do the work.

edit: dammit. Here, have this. I almost pasted the "me want chocky ice cweam" one, but I feel like we've seen that recently.

AITA for acting shocked and laughing at my wife for watching Teletubbies while on her exercise bike?

quote:

My (31F) wife (35F) likes to watch TV shows on her tablet and Bluetooth headphones while on her treadmill and exercise bike. Always seemed pretty normal to me but she normally just watched normal shows streaming.

Recently I had to ask her something while she was on her bike. I tapped her shoulder and noticed what was on the tablet. It looked like the Teletubbies. After my main thing I asked her if she was seriously watching Teletubbies. She said yes, most of the episodes are up on YouTube. I asked her WHY and that was ridiculous and started laughing. She seemed very upset. She then said she actually liked watching the show as a teenager because of how trippy and surreal it was and she thinks the sun and rabbits are adorable and it helps de-stress her. I was even more shocked she watched Teletubbies in HIGH SCHOOL. I made a joke about how could I marry someone like that and how did I not know this until now. She seemed even more angry.

The last couple days she's gotten kind of cold. I wonder if this is related. I'm not divorcing her or anything but I think it's still absurd and OK to laugh about a teenager and now adult watching TELETUBBIES. Please note neither of us have kids and neither of us has ever been pregnant.

So am I an rear end in a top hat?

odiv fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Dr. Stab posted:

I guess she's doing better than the person who took it upon herself to throw a massive amount of leftovers away at her bf's house. Just dumping nearly an entire cooked roast in the garbage like it's normal.

if someone did that to me, they'd be gettin left over leftovers for sure

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

haveblue posted:

e: obligatory cat story: my cat goes nuts for Smartfood cheddar-covered popcorn. She'll climb up onto you to try to get her face in your bowl if you hold it out of reach

I was thinking about this yesterday weirdly enough, but is there any other flavour of smartfood? I've only ever seen the white cheddar flavour

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA For not letting my mother and her new husband stay in my home?

quote:

After my parents divorce my mom went crazy and married this weird dude named Rich, they were complete alcoholics messes and I would have to go peel them off the floor of the local pizza bar and deal with the cops the next day after what ever fight they got into caught up to them. They finally divorced a few years ago.

Jump ahead to last winter, I have moved out, gotten married and have my kids. Its been a few years since mom left Rich and she seems to be doing ok. Mom video calls me, she's talking about a wedding we were to attend and then she says she's with a friend and wants me to meet them. This dude (Carl) comes on and its hella awkward. Lots of giggling "should we tell him" and stuff. Then my mom just starts waving her ring hand behind his head and I catch on that they are engaged. I had no clue that she was even seeing anyone and based on how quick she got with her last husband (several weeks after my dad moved out Rich moved in).

Flash forward to the wedding this year. All is well, the day before the party. I meet Carl, he's ok, like bread if it was a person. The day of the party I see he and mom getting sloshed. No outbursts or distracting behavior but they are getting pretty deep in the drink. This puts me out of party mode and back into crisis manager mode so my evening isn't ruined but I am not having fun fun anymore. Long story, Mom ends up sleepy drunk in a chair and this guy is retching in the bushes behind the venue. With this I am not impressed with him and my mind is made up. Mom is back to acting foolishly and I need to protect myself and my family.

Mom reaches out to me to say that she wants to come visit for a long weekend over labor day this year. I say cool, just you though I don't want Carl in the house with the kids. Queue the song and dance where its "Were not going to drink" and when I don't bend on it she says ok It'll just be her. The week before she's to come here Carl messages me asking if its ok if he comes. I say "no, I don't know you, the last time I saw you, you were bent over double sick from drinking. If you want to come I can look into getting you guys an AirBNB or hotel" and the convo peters out from there. Mom calls that night to say that something came up and they wont be traveling. Its amazing how often something comes up with her when it comes to visiting, but I am no longer surprised and let it roll off. Not worth the fight.

I was on the phone with my brother the other night and he brought up that mom has been going around saying that I barred her and her husband from my house. Which isn't true, they can come here, but they cannot stay here. She can stay but I don't want a literal stranger in my house where my kids sleep. I don't know if they only drink at parties or if its an every night thing for her again and I don't want to find out.

So am I TA for not letting them stay here and offering to help find a hotel/BNB?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ilmucche posted:

I was thinking about this yesterday weirdly enough, but is there any other flavour of smartfood? I've only ever seen the white cheddar flavour

There is a spicy white cheddar flavor and a movie theatre butter flavor at the grocery store I usually go to.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Kurieg posted:

AITA For not letting my mother and her new husband stay in my home?

....I would have to go peel them off the floor of the local pizza bar...

lol imagine your mom is such a fuckup that you have to use a pizza peel to scrape her off the floor at Round Table

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
it's like the least classy possible place to get shitfaced, too. like what, did she get 86'd from the bowling alley

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

odiv posted:

AITA for acting shocked and laughing at my wife for watching Teletubbies while on her exercise bike?

My mum's best friend, who's in her eighties, liked to watch in the Night Garden because she found it relaxing.

Derek Jacobi does have a pleasant voice, to be fair.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

odiv posted:

She then said she actually liked watching the show as a teenager because of how trippy and surreal it was and she thinks the sun and rabbits are adorable and it helps de-stress her.

This woman did nothing wrong and that dude is making a big deal about nothing.

I could be biased though because when the new My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic started I was watching it as a man in his late 20s. Some of my friends were making fun of me for watching it and asked the "Why are you watching something for little girls?" question. I told them with all the horrible poo poo that has happened in my life it was good to watch a show that is disgustingly wholesome and I needed to be retaught some things about friendship. They accepted that and didn't bring it up again.

Just let people watch what they want.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I know, people can watch what they want, but I can just hardly imagine anything less interesting to sit through than Teletubbies. Any interest in the weird surreality would maybe hold me through a 30 second youtube clip, then I'd be gouging my eyes out in frustration.

I may be biased though, I watched too much of it as a teenager being used as a babysitting service for my younger siblings

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I mean whenever I got out of school and got dropped off by the bus or done walking it was always time for the afternoon kids shows on PBS, so I'd always be catching Teletubbies or Big Comfy Couch or something like that. I'd flip it on and space out just because like, nothing else is on for a couple more hours but I just spent all day at school doing brain-poo poo so I'm not interested in pulling out a book.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

At my secondary school in the 80s it was accepted that everyone barrelled off home ASAP to watch Danger Mouse on days it was on. And at the hospital my mum worked at good luck trying to get hold of a doctor on Sat morning when Tiswas was on. Good kids TV is relaxing fun for all ages and he's indubitably TA.

vvv curses, foiled by fiendish pronouns vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 20, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Nae posted:

lol imagine your mom is such a fuckup that you have to use a pizza peel to scrape her off the floor at Round Table

My stepmom would regularly get wine drink at the neighborhood pizza place right by my high school.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Elissimpark posted:

My mum's best friend, who's in her eighties, liked to watch in the Night Garden because she found it relaxing.

Derek Jacobi does have a pleasant voice, to be fair.

I like Moon and Me. My sister's kid is too old for it now and I kinda miss it. Still watch sometimes.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

limp_cheese posted:

I could be biased though because when the new My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic started I was watching it as a man in his late 20s. Some of my friends were making fun of me for watching it and asked the "Why are you watching something for little girls?" question. I told them with all the horrible poo poo that has happened in my life it was good to watch a show that is disgustingly wholesome and I needed to be retaught some things about friendship. They accepted that and didn't bring it up again.

i watched that to see what the deal was and found it to be just incredibly comforting. like almost none of the problems of the modern world exist there at all. so sometimes when i'm just totally overwhelmed i like to lie in bed sipping whiskey and watching MLP, and if anyone thinks less of me for that, well gently caress 'em

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

limp_cheese posted:

Runcible Cat posted:

At my secondary school in the 80s it was accepted that everyone barrelled off home ASAP to watch Danger Mouse on days it was on. And at the hospital my mum worked at good luck trying to get hold of a doctor on Sat morning when Tiswas was on. Good kids TV is relaxing fun for all ages and he's indubitably TA.

Obligatory check the genders (they even included a bonus clue in the last line by saying "neither of us have ever gotten pregnant"!)

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

eh, i had friends who watched a bunch of teletubbies in high school for the surreality too. they were high as poo poo and had tool's first three albums on loop the whole time. they LOVED the sun baby! :sun:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

blackmongoose posted:

Obligatory check the genders (they even included a bonus clue in the last line by saying "neither of us have ever gotten pregnant"!)

?? I haven't gotten pregnant. What does the social construct of gender (how people dress, talk, wear their hair) have to do with it?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

champagne posting posted:

At least he learned a valuable lesson about trusting your bigoted family.

Putting that aside for a moment, a 25000 USD kitchen remodel? What are they doing to it? Re-making it in gold?
Never done a kitchen remodel, I gather?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I have a few emotional support episodes of the simpsons, I get it.

I also once got totally ripshit and watched a bunch of animated shorts I watched as a kid once and it was like a nice warm blanket. Big recommend.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't think I've ever watched any cartoon I grew up with without cringing. I had such horrible taste.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Marvel 90s cartoons were trash and I wouldn’t have it any other way

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I never watched Teletubbies because when I was technically too old for it, I was watching Eureka's Castle.

As for the 19-year-old gay kid who was outed by his bigot cousin and lost the scholarship via grandma, I do feel bad for him, I really do, but it's apparently something that he's known for a while, his parents even told him multiple times not to tell anyone in his family. It's not as if he didn't have Google to do a quick search on gay kids being disowned. It's not as if this hasn't been a topic in the gay community for the past 40 or 50 years or so.

It sucks, but that's the risk you take unfortunately. Some of my closest family and friends don't know I'm gay, because one slip of the tongue, and they would tell my dad. At best he would disown me, at worst I would be on a missing person's poster.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I wasn't around for the 60s, but I sure did watch a lot of The Mighty Hercules.

A cartoon so cheap that all the major battles happened off-screen.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

There's nothing wrong with watching Teletubbies if that's what you're into, but it is literally designed for humans at the bottom of the cognitive development scale (i.e. babies) so it's kind of funny to hear about an adult being really into it. Dude's emotional intelligence doesn't seem great though, I'm not sure what he thought insistently roasting his SO over it would accomplish.

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it's pretty strange to watch teletubbies sober, I can't really imagine doing that. The OP seems like kind of a weird dumbass though.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have a strong, maybe exaggerated, aversion for experiencing any media I enjoyed as a youngster because I'm afraid it will overwrite my already fading memories from back then. It sucks because I only experienced disjointed fragments of many stories, and now that everything is a click away I could fill the gaps... but still no.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah one time I tried watching ren and stimpy again and someone ran up and kicked me right in the balls, now my balls hurt whenever I see it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Invader Zim can happily reside in my gothy little memory

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

Invader Zim can happily reside in my gothy little memory

Watch the Netflix movie, it just hits the beats pretty well. Double for the Rocko’s Modern Life movie.

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah one time I tried watching ren and stimpy again and someone ran up and kicked me right in the balls, now my balls hurt whenever I see it

Was it John K, the loving cretin. Fantastic show but Jesus what a shithead.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i still can't believe someone let jhonen vasquez do a children's cartoon. someone at nickelodeon read JTHM and thought yeah, this guy needs a kid's show

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
it’s fall so I’m itching for a Pete & Pete watch but I know it’ll get me far too wistful.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

Was that the 1st or second series? Because the 2nd series was so bad I couldn't watch it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

quantumwell posted:

Was that the 1st or second series? Because the 2nd series was so bad I couldn't watch it

the first one, never tried the second because I figured it would be bad

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for feeding my dog table scraps from a dinner my boyfriend made for us?

When I'd only read the title I was like, oh she just let the dog lick the plate, whatever, but "table scraps" here apparently actually means "enough food for an entire other meal".

A reddit commenter posted:

You grew up throwing away all the leftovers from your meals?

OP posted:

My dad called it table scraps and fed it to his chickens.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for getting upset my boyfriend did exactly what I have asked him not to do, so I canceled our house buying opportunity?

quote:

This is my first post ever so bare with me, I have been with my BF for 9months and we are in the process of looking to buy a house together. Our work schedules leave little time during the week to see each other so after work today he stopped by my job to see me. I needed to go to the bank so I took him along for the ride as a chance to talk about our day.

I should mention here that I always drive when we go someplace, I don’t like his car or his driving to be frank. He tends to sit in the passenger seat and read on his phone. For the most part that is fine it sucks that it kills the opportunity for conversation but it’s better than when he’s watching YouTube videos. I can’t stand it when he is watching the videos in general (talking hours at a time here) but even more so in the car because I can’t escape it and it’s distracting AND he’s blasting it over the radio. I have mentioned this multiple times.

I have tried asking him politely, asking him not so politely and finally just turning up the music so I can’t hear it (this tends to get my point across).

So there we are at the bank and he’s watching a video,

Me: Hey can you watch that when you get home? BF: yeah yeah let me just finish this…. Me: (I can’t turn up the radio as we are at the bank waiting for the deposits, just sits there and stews) BF: ha ha now that was funny I just love those. Me: ….. BF: so what are you not talking to me now? Me: I would hate to interrupt your video. BF: Whatever!

We ride back to my work where he unbuckles and hops out of the car before I even park it. Slams my door, gets in his car slams his door and peels out without saying anything.

So I message him: Me: So I get attitude because I got upset you were doing something I asked you many times not to do. I’m not going to the showings , feel free to go or tell our realtor we’re not interested. BF: do what ever the F*** you want You wanna be a b**** go for it. See where it leads OP. I'm done trying to ask nicely for you to stop. Me: I'm not in the wrong here (BF)! I have asked you countless times to not watch videos in the car when I'm driving. All I asked was for you to turn it off till you got home, but like usual you do you when you want to do you and than give me attitude because it upset me na I'm not going to play that game.

So I’m not going to the showings I’m not going to buy a house with a man child. I do love him but this is getting ridiculous. Did I over react or AITA?

Update: the whole reason we were looking to buy a house is because of the housing crisis and rent for a 2br alone is $1,500-$2,00/m it’s actually cheaper to buy a house

well i mean, if it's cheaper to buy

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011
Come on, if you don't watch Boohbah when you're getting abso-fuckin-lutely psyched up to set a deadlift PR, what are you even doing with your life?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think I've ever watched any cartoon I grew up with without cringing. I had such horrible taste.

Batman: The Animated Series. Still holds up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the teletubbies lady is 'watching it' while working out, she probably just wants something she can barely pay attention to and 'follow,' know wont distract her, and is unlikely to drop anything that she actually needs to process

i tried using reality tv as background noise for my treadmill and every few episodes someone would say something distractingly racist or sexist (or both), i tried old episodes of jeopardy but id start actually thinking about the questions, so i just switched to pokemon. ash and pals go to some random place and theres some random pokemon of the week, team rocket motto, thunderbolt, credits. if i ever actually focus on the tv, yep, that sure is pikachu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The Moon Monster posted:

There's nothing wrong with watching Teletubbies if that's what you're into, but it is literally designed for humans at the bottom of the cognitive development scale (i.e. babies) so it's kind of funny to hear about an adult being really into it. Dude's emotional intelligence doesn't seem great though, I'm not sure what he thought insistently roasting his SO over it would accomplish.
I mean I interpreted that as it's literally a thing she's watching as pleasant fluff filler if she doesn't want to use her brain at all. Decent for the middle of a workout. Her partner isn't making fun of her for being 'really into it', but making fun of her for watching it at all, and tbh that sounds pretty annoying.

EDIT: Endorph said it better, it really is just the minimum level of colorful stimulation so you're not staring at a wall in silence. It's podcasts or music for some people.