Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I honestly haven't been here long enough to form an opinion.
Lots of mullets, lots of country music. It's a very different world.
Haven't met a huge amount of locals yet. Most of the pilots live elsewhere and come in on 20 day shifts and especially now, it's often 10+ hour days, so it's pretty much get back from work, prep dinner/lunch, go to bed.

Karate session was a bit of everything. Basic strikes, blocks, front kicks, with some body work in between (push ups, stretching, core work).
Basic partnered work + some 'kumite', which for us beginners was just touch each other on shoulders.
Since I did do TKD as a teenager, the strikes, etc were *very* familiar.

Insurance isn't a huge issue as I can get that through the national federation. The school gym we trained in would be perfect, but it's really far from my mind at the moment.
I'm off to Edmonton for a couple of days and will visit the local kendo club there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I truly hope you like FM and get settled in. How did the Kendo visit go? I was actually in Edmonton the last bit too.

We lost a few instructors over the past couple years. A couple decided to move on with their education (different cities), another is caring for her ailing parents, one just wants to try something new and is going to straight up kickboxing and at least another had to retire outright due to health issues.

That means that we've got a pretty short bench for instructors now as some of who we lost taught a lot. All the BBs have been asked if we want to start getting into instructing. We've really only had 3 main instructors for the past year at our main school, really since covid started to get less impactful, and I think it's burning them out as they are teaching a ton (we run classes every day, most multiple classes, except Sundays)

I never really thought much about instructing, but I'm a little uncomfortable dealing with kids. At least you can talk and explain to adults and they generally don't start sobbing if something goes wrong and their parents aren't in the front judging you as an awful man for making their child, who is obviously extremely gifted, not immediately excel.

That said, I think I'm going to dip my toe into some instructing but we'll see how it goes... my preference would certainly be adult class.

How does it work with the other arts? Is it kind of expected to formally instruct once you get back or senior/competent?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

slidebite posted:

I never really thought much about instructing, but I'm a little uncomfortable dealing with kids. At least you can talk and explain to adults and they generally don't start sobbing if something goes wrong and their parents aren't in the front judging you as an awful man for making their child, who is obviously extremely gifted, not immediately excel.
I totally get it. The other day I thought how teaching adult students is sort of like raising kids, just in a very specific domain, having a lot of authority there and only there, and getting to be proud of their achievements without you having to be responsible for all the other stuff that comes with rearing a child.
To be teaching kids, then yeah, obviously you do need to be sensitive to their emotional and normal developmental needs on top of just technique.

quote:

How does it work with the other arts? Is it kind of expected to formally instruct once you get back or senior/competent?
With our school/class size, it was always voluntary, and the senior people in the lineage were able to handle most of the teaching.
Once we lost our lease and had to rebuild somewhere else, some of the staff went away, and the head coach asked a lot of the senior students if they could teach.
I volunteered back then, like specifically for free. The new general manager insisted that we get paid, which complicates my taxes, but ok, it's a pretty nice hourly rate; i'll take it.

The one requirement that the school has always had for instructors, even if they're just teaching fitness classes, is that they've had a competition match.
Interesting, but I like it. It means that anyone can field a competition/sport-specific question, and that it weeds out bullshit.
I've never had to tell my students my 0-3-1 record :negative:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I like your thoughts on adults and accomplishment. I do like working with someone and you see the (hopefully positive) impact of your direction.

Coincidentally, I had a really good success story with an older guy just on Weds night. He is pushing 60, a little chonky, about 6' and has physical challenges (TKD is probably not the best fit for him) BUT he does try and is slowly improving. We were doing some very intense drills and he was struggling with reverse crescent kicks to a paddle target up and down the floor. Like this:
(NOT ME)
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AnguishedNaturalAlaskanmalamute-mobile.mp4
He cannot kick head height, his hips just don't allow it, but that's wasn't the biggest problem. He was kicking more at a 45 degree instead of straight on... and he was getting frustrated.

I was holding the paddle (target) and after a couple attempts I just stopped him and said "I want you slow it down. First thing, as soon as you turn, immediately turn your head back towards me and re-acquire the target, first thing. If your head is pointing in the right direction, your foot is going to want to follow."

Seconds later, he tried it and it was 1000% better. Just, immediately. Height was still a struggle of course, but at least he was kicking in the right direction. He grinned like a cheshire cat and thanked me. Repeatedly. :feelsgood:

I'm not sure about kids. Maybe the more senior older kids, but the youngest member white/yellow belts are not going to be in my comfort zone. I'll have to work on that and maybe watch some of the younger kids classes to see the whole "herding the cats" process which it kind of is. I've seen the tail end of some of them when the instructor just didn't have a good handle on them and the kids just start becoming a loud mob of small unruly humans, especially when they start doing something fun like doing balance drills and trying to knock each other over.

I am kind of working on class ideas though... and it's kind of fun. Trying to remember warm ups, drills and exercises that I enjoyed and trying to put them together into some kind of theme or at least work them together into an hour long class. I'll probably be doing it later in Sept when I get back from holidays.

e: Also, your comment on competition experience. I don't think thats a terrible idea. All of us, by the time you hit black, almost certainly have competed in multiple tournaments somewhere, but it does give a bit of a perspective. Not sure how important that is for a generic class but I could see value to it especially when trying to give some practical sparring techniques.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 2, 2022

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

slidebite posted:

I truly hope you like FM and get settled in. How did the Kendo visit go? I was actually in Edmonton the last bit too.

Well, my employer has been awesome and I'm already flying more than I thought I would. The tricky thing will be to build a new social circle...and survive the winter.

Edmonton kendo was fine. Very enthusiastic, but also very competition focused, at the cost of form.

Meanwhile the federation has found out that I'm now in Alberta and I immediately got roped into being on the next grading panel as this now means they don't have to bring in anyone from outside to have a full panel.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice. Glad the job is working out. Winter will be an experience for you I'm sure. I think you said you're from the lower mainland?

Are you actually fine going on the panel? How often do you guys do test? Would it just a very senior test for convening?

We will typically just have our masters grade us for up to about 4th dan. We typically do that once a year, either June or Dec. After that we will usually get other masters from associate schools to form a panel (3+). I've only seen that happen 2x in my 5+ years. It's a rare occurrence.

That said, I had 3 masters (6 Dan+) grading me for my 1st dan exam and it was nerve wracking. Even though absolutely everyone was super positive and wants nothing more than you to do well.

Also, just saw this. :lol:

<corporate MBA>
How can we charge 7x more for a standard commodity belt? I know, the wannabe market!

https://captainsports.ca/products/adidas-vintage-black-belt-washed-black?variant=39965285122146

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

At 5th dan, I can sit on panels up to 3rd dan. (You need 5 judges).

There's fairly limited grading opportunities in Canada. Main ones are in Oct/Nov in Toronto & Vancouver (up to 7th dan), with 3-4 over the summer up to 3rd dan.
This will actually be the first one to be held in Alberta.

Personally, I'm just happy to stay involved and I'll get some of my expenses covered, so it's a good excuse for a trip.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Welp, after some talking, my son decided he wants to take an extended break from TKD. He's 9, so I'm not really sure that he'll go back, but I don't want to push him and make the whole thing a chore. I get it, but I really wanted him to stick with it.

THAT SAID, now that I'm more or less healed up, I'm about ready to get back to class. Thing is, that I don't think I really want to keep on with TKD. I like our school just fine, but at my age, these big flashy kicks aren't really doing me any good and spin kicks just murder my equilibrium. I could also go on about the McDojo practices, but I'll leave that out. So, I'm thinking about switching over to a grappling based style. We have a dojo here that teaches Aikido, Judo, and Shotokan (as well as kendo, iaido, kyudo, and naginatado) but from what I know is more of a "club" than a formal school. They have teachers and such, but it's run pretty much by volunteers and no one makes a living teaching there. Upside is that they've been in business for YEARS, like probably the oldest school in town outside of the TKD place I go it. Alternately, we (of course) have a shitload of BJJ places of varying quality. Downside there is that I can't really stand BJJ bros, but I think I'd probably end up getting a better learning experience. Anyone studied both judo and BJJ and can compare/contrast them?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

They have teachers and such, but it's run pretty much by volunteers and no one makes a living teaching there.

This is normal for most Japanese arts. It is however very unusual to have that many arts in one school.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This is normal for most Japanese arts. It is however very unusual to have that many arts in one school.

I figured as much since those are pretty niche markets. The place that I used to study kendo got absorbed by this school, so it's basically THE place for Japanese arts in town.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

Downside there is that I can't really stand BJJ bros, but I think I'd probably end up getting a better learning experience. Anyone studied both judo and BJJ and can compare/contrast them?

I think the issue of "BJJ bros" (if what I am imagining matches what you are thinking of) really depends on the school you go to. You might have to shop around a bit to find a school that fits the vibe you want, but it is worth it to do so.

I can't compare Judo and BJJ unfortunately as I've only ever been to one Judo class. I believe my BJJ school will be doing a Judo class every week though starting soon. Looking forward to being a white belt again!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

duckdealer posted:

I think the issue of "BJJ bros" (if what I am imagining matches what you are thinking of) really depends on the school you go to. You might have to shop around a bit to find a school that fits the vibe you want, but it is worth it to do so.

I can't compare Judo and BJJ unfortunately as I've only ever been to one Judo class. I believe my BJJ school will be doing a Judo class every week though starting soon. Looking forward to being a white belt again!

WELL I found out that the trad Japanese MA place in town is apparently run by a bunch of Qanon chuds that regularly drop that poo poo in class, so I'm steering way the gently caress clear of that place.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There are people here with a lot more Judo experience than me but I'd say Judo tends to be cheaper, classes tends to be smaller and less new people dropping in and out, and tends to be more formal but not less friendly.

For all the "surfer culture" casualness (I just finished that Opening the Closed Guard book this week, thanks thread) of BJJ, I know which sport doesn't let you look upon the anointed while fixing your GI and it's not Judo!

I don't mean this dismissively, quite the opposite actually, but Judo reminds me of the Boy Scouts - community oriented, and with a clearly defined goal of enriching the participants generally.

Edit: you can just google up the Judo places in your area, it's a benefit of it being such a well defined, disciplined organization.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Yeah, I was really angling towards judo over BJJ but man seriously gently caress this school.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

what's a BJJ bro :ohdear:

Fanaticism
Jan 7, 2019
hi goons! Started kickboxing a few months ago and love it. Last few weeks I started picking up jiu jitsu because it seems real interesting and is right before kickboxing. Last week I felt sapped and this week again: I noticed my short-term memory was just gone, blinking a lot, felt confused, slightly dizzy, and a mild headache. I bombed the kickboxing class and sat out the sparring. My guess is this was due hitting the mat in jiu and not being well trained in falling yet -- I have a stiff neck and shoulders so I bet that tension travels right up; I expect this to be better again tomorrow.

Do any of you have experience with this? Will I get used to this and will it be ok or am I slowly collecting brain damage?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

butros posted:

what's a BJJ bro :ohdear:

BJJ dudes that think having a blue belt makes them ready to fight in UFC. I don't really mind the "laid back surfer" poo poo since I live about a mile from the beach and sort of trend that way myself, but it's the aggro alpha male poo poo that I don't like.

Basically: I want to train with Matt Riddle. I don't want to train with the Diaz brothers.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

EdsTeioh posted:

BJJ dudes that think having a blue belt makes them ready to fight in UFC. I don't really mind the "laid back surfer" poo poo since I live about a mile from the beach and sort of trend that way myself, but it's the aggro alpha male poo poo that I don't like.

Basically: I want to train with Matt Riddle. I don't want to train with the Diaz brothers.

This must vary by gym cause I've met way more of the former than the latter

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Xand_Man posted:

This must vary by gym cause I've met way more of the former than the latter

Oh no poo poo? Well that's good to know; I guess maybe I built up some weird image in my head. I did just hear back from a BJJ place here; I'm going to do an intro class I think. I also found a Wing Chun/Aikido place that looks pretty awesome as well; gonna see what's up with those guys.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There's lots of friendly, nice BJJ gyms, you're just more likely to encounter a strong 20 year old with anger issues in BJJ than Judo, in my limited experience. But not as often as in a genuine MMA gym so :shrug:

Any gym that isn't a joke should allow free classes as a trial and tou should be able to get a feel for the vibe there.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Jack B Nimble posted:

There's lots of friendly, nice BJJ gyms, you're just more likely to encounter a strong 20 year old with anger issues in BJJ than Judo, in my limited experience. But not as often as in a *genuine MMA gym* so :shrug:

Any gym that isn't a joke should allow free classes as a trial and tou should be able to get a feel for the vibe there.

OK thank you so much for that term. I think I'd just at some point I assumed that MMA and BJJ gyms were basically the same thing. This helps!

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 20, 2022

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've trained around the US (and a bit in Toronto). There's friendly BJJ gyms all over.

And I mean a lot of places the 20 something serious competitors will still do chill rolls or drills with middle aged hobbiest. I think actually more than judo where the serious competitors kind of scare me lol

What's your experience with BJJ? If it's reading r/BJJ or sherdog or whatever.. not a great representation of how people actually behave.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 21, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I took a random BJJ class back in like 2002. At my TKD dojang we had an optional grappling class but then also mixed in some very basic groundwork during certain cycles. I ended up liking that stuff a lot more than doing crazy head high crescent kicks and getting dizzy drilling spin side kicks. Outside of that, I mean…uh…I’m a 90’s Japanese mma nerd?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

If I had to stereotype I'd say MMA gyms as a whole are the most aggro, old school Brazilian-run BJJ places are slightly more aggro than more Americanized schools since there's an element of self-defense and the Gracie lineage did a lot of thug poo poo back in the day. Pure BJJ/competitive BJJ gyms are relatively chill because you're mostly learning to face off against other rubber-limbed weirdos who will invert themselves at the drop of a hat.

I stress that this is a stereotype based on tendencies and you can find complete absolute sweaty sweeties at a MMA gym and dumb aggro 20-something jocks at a comp. BJJ place. Every gym is different.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh no poo poo? Well that's good to know; I guess maybe I built up some weird image in my head. I did just hear back from a BJJ place here; I'm going to do an intro class I think. I also found a Wing Chun/Aikido place that looks pretty awesome as well; gonna see what's up with those guys.

I loved my Wing Chun training but had a difficult relationship with my Sifu. He knew my father was my primary instructor and had passed away and would do poo poo like say, “Do you think your father would be proud of that?” We did lots of drills and while we did do forms it’s not like a lot of kung fu schools where performance of taolu is paramount. Aikido I also love but be prepared to know your goals and expectations. Training orthodox Aikido will never make you a fighter, but I have seen schools where if you stuck with it long enough you probably could use it in a self-defense defending against a drunken punch kind of situation.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

WELL I found out that the trad Japanese MA place in town is apparently run by a bunch of Qanon chuds that regularly drop that poo poo in class, so I'm steering way the gently caress clear of that place.

Would you mind saying where that is? If it's AUSKF affiliated, then the AUSKF should be made aware.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fanaticism posted:

hi goons! Started kickboxing a few months ago and love it. Last few weeks I started picking up jiu jitsu because it seems real interesting and is right before kickboxing. Last week I felt sapped and this week again: I noticed my short-term memory was just gone, blinking a lot, felt confused, slightly dizzy, and a mild headache. I bombed the kickboxing class and sat out the sparring

My guess is this was due hitting the mat in jiu and not being well trained in falling yet -- I have a stiff neck and shoulders so I bet that tension travels right up; I expect this to be better again tomorrow.

Do any of you have experience with this? Will I get used to this and will it be ok or am I slowly collecting brain damage?
The bolded symptoms for sure sound like post-concussions syndrome. Even if you don't remember hitting your head on the mat, your brain could have been rattled just the same.

1) if you're sparring in kickboxing just a few months into it, be careful. I'm surprised that they would let you start that early and also that you haven't gotten your head rung there from lack of preparation.

2) in the long term, you're most likely going to get more damage to your head from kickboxing than jiujitsu. You can minimize your exposure to a degree in both sports. But in the long term, you'll not get regular hits to the head in jiujitsu, while you definitely will in kickboxing.

> hitting the mat in jiu
haven't seen anyone calling it that yet

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Serious scholarship on Chinese shuaijiao attributes the development of this style from contact with wrestling formats from Mongolians and other nomadic peoples.
Two pretty obvious similarities are the short sleeve jacket and a throw counting when anything but your feet touch the ground. While fighting under the same rulesets definitely converges on the same moves, there's for sure some unmistakable influences in some particular techniques.

This translation is from one of my newer follows on Instagram:
https://papaemanuele94.wixsite.com/shanpuying-chronicle/post/%E9%A1%BE%E6%B1%A7-%E6%89%91%E4%BA%A4%E8%A1%8C-gu-qian-wrestling-ballad-1
History nerd with a focus on Chinese wrestling who trains it very seriously.
Bannermen means Chinese subjects serving the Manchu empire in a governmental capacity.

It's fascinating in that you have a record specifically describing the Manchus using similar rules and also conferring a significant degree of status to those who perform well, suggesting the style has been in place for a quite a while.

e: this is a good example of a shuaijiao drill (demonstrated by the translator) that looks very Chinese but is also obviously great conditioning for standup grappling:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CRmVQbdDTva/?hl=en

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I loved my Wing Chun training but had a difficult relationship with my Sifu. He knew my father was my primary instructor and had passed away and would do poo poo like say, “Do you think your father would be proud of that?” We did lots of drills and while we did do forms it’s not like a lot of kung fu schools where performance of taolu is paramount. Aikido I also love but be prepared to know your goals and expectations. Training orthodox Aikido will never make you a fighter, but I have seen schools where if you stuck with it long enough you probably could use it in a self-defense defending against a drunken punch kind of situation.

Isn't Aikido one of those arts that's best used in combo with other arts? Like using one of those redirects (I almost hate to call them throws) and then following up with some sort of strike?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Would you mind saying where that is? If it's AUSKF affiliated, then the AUSKF should be made aware.

I was initially worried about doxxing myself, but then remembered that I've literally posted pics of myself in here. It's Big Green Drum Japanese Martial Arts in Florida. Should be a pretty easy search but I don't know if they're affiliated with anyone.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I put a bunch of feelers out for schools here and have an appt to check out some place that advertises as "Shaolin-Do" but man this poo poo looks like it's full of red flags. "1500 year old" Chinese art that uses a belt system, Japanese terminology, and has a gi for a uniform...this is some bullshit, correct?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean it's not actually those things, but that doesn't mean it's also a toxic cult. It could be a harmless community of TMS enthusiasts.

What are you looking for in school? Do you want to learn to fight?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Jack B Nimble posted:

I mean it's not actually those things, but that doesn't mean it's also a toxic cult. It could be a harmless community of TMS enthusiasts.

What are you looking for in school? Do you want to learn to fight?

I'm switching from a corporate TKD school to...something else. My body isn't handling the high kicks and spins terribly well. I mainly study for fitness and mental clarity to deal with anxiety.

JasonRiverwind
Feb 2, 2009

EdsTeioh posted:

I put a bunch of feelers out for schools here and have an appt to check out some place that advertises as "Shaolin-Do" but man this poo poo looks like it's full of red flags. "1500 year old" Chinese art that uses a belt system, Japanese terminology, and has a gi for a uniform...this is some bullshit, correct?

While I don't study Shaolin-Do, I do work with a system that has other similarities to what you posted.

I have come to refer to our Lineage and history as the mythology of the style, as I can't verify it very well. Started in 714 AD, passed from father to son, etc etc. I have a list of names of the Lineage holders as it has passed down generations, but being a style of Kung Fu, Chinese records are not easy to track down and verify, even if I could read Chinese.

Belt system, we use. It was explained to me that my instructors instructor implemented it as most Americans were familiar with Karate or Judo having belts, and wanted kind of a progress marker of how far they have come.

Gi for uniform, may be because they are a lot cheaper normally than a Chinese martial art uniform.

Japanese terminology, we do some of that due to cross training in other styles and picking up terms they use, to explain it to people familiar with Japanese martial arts backgrounds.

Go to the trial class if they have one, see how well it works for you. Maybe they have a terrible web master who didn't vet everything with the higher ups. My instructor is absolutely terrible with computers and trusts me to make updates on our site, even when I mess something up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If I started over again I'd likely favor a BJJ type school but our local school too is run by an antimask/vaxx absolute meathead so I get the "bro" comment even if it's a pretty broad brush. Good luck with your transitioning to a different art. :)

Got back from 2 weeks of holidays from the east cost of Canada (Nova Scotia/PEI) and totally filled my pie hole at every opportunity. I 100% expected to have gained 5-10lbs.

I just stepped on my scale and i was shocked to see I *lost* 5 lbs, which the only thing I can believe it that it was muscle mass. Getting back into training is going to suuuuuck.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

You'll probably put that 5 pounds of muscle back on in no time though, right?

TBH out of all of the places I've reached out to, the local Hopkins BJJ place has had the best responses and the best vibe so far. They even have a dedicated beginner white belt class as opposed to it being integrated, which I think is pretty cool. Gonna take an intro Monday night if all goes well. They apparently have a judo class once a week as well, which I'm also interested in, so we'll see how this goes.

ALSO man, this weekend I made my son go with me to cancel our TKD membership as was the deal I had with him that if he ever wanted to quit, he'd have to go tell the instructor himself. He's got a lot of social anxiety in those types of situations, but he did really well talking to our (now ex) instructor and I was really proud of him.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That sounds good, if your gut feels good about it too that's a good sign.

I also know some kids, and adults, with anxiety that would make that difficult. Good on him for following through. Hopefully that will help with some self-confidence.

Yeah, I'm going to start training again tonight... it'll be rough as I'm still exhausted but I need to get back into it. I *feel* it.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Get back on it!

As a side note, man, I did some more research into that Shaolin-Do thing and man that poo poo is a scam of the highest order and apparently cult-y as hell. I watched a video of the "grand master" Sin Kwang The on youtube and laughed my rear end off. Gonna nope out of that one.

EDIT: Dude, I have bad anxiety about that kind of stuff, so I 100% know where he gets it from. Glad he's working on it, though.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

Get back on it!

As a side note, man, I did some more research into that Shaolin-Do thing and man that poo poo is a scam of the highest order and apparently cult-y as hell. I watched a video of the "grand master" Sin Kwang The on youtube and laughed my rear end off. Gonna nope out of that one.

EDIT: Dude, I have bad anxiety about that kind of stuff, so I 100% know where he gets it from. Glad he's working on it, though.

Man, you do know how to pick'm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujsz9LREE3I

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
IA, any particular reason you rarely see more than a couple Japanese arts (legitimate, qualified, and affiliated) in the same space? Just a matter of scheduling, every instructor and individual club wants particular days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I KNOW, RIGHT???!?! I didn't really want to post too much dragging this dude, but also check out the multi thousand page threads on Bullshido about how much of a fraudster this guy is.