Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My station is showing the Emmys :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Taping for the Second Chance is next week, and ToC is the week after.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Center podium has had some strange contestants these first two games of the season.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Amusing final jeopardy category tonight.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

thrawn527 posted:

Well they did a drat good job, because I had no idea.

People laughing at her jokes was a dead giveaway for me.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Timby posted:

Center podium has had some strange contestants these first two games of the season.

And horrible final betting there today.

She had the guts to wager $5,000 when needed on a Daily Double, but then assumed that no one else would get the Final.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

According to her, she just massively hosed up her bet: https://old.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comments/xddu18/jeopardy_recap_for_tue_sept_13/

quote:

Final Jeopardy — My wager was a huge mistake. I was confident in the final category, too! I intended to cover Luigi's potential final total by a dollar, but I lost perspective while I scribbled on scratch paper. Soon after I submitted my wager, I realized I’d messed up. Filming hadn’t resumed yet but I was stuck. As you may know, on a contestant’s screen, there’s a confirmation button by the wager box and once you tap that button, the wager’s locked in with few exceptions. We were sufficiently warned. I'd made an unforced error and I was gutted.

I left the studio lot with my scratch paper and took this picture of it later. The arrows point to my flawed wager (1,801) and what I could’ve wagered to win (14,800). I’d practiced wagering before the show but not nearly enough. I devoted way more time to cramming trivia, not just to win, but also to avoid embarrassment on national TV. Didn't work out!

Shoutout to the compassionate contestant coordinators. The audience was supportive when I was about to leave the studio, which meant a lot. I later apologized to the mighty Luigi if I hadn't clapped for him. I learned about the SCT after filming, which gave me some hope. Hundreds of contestants are still to come this season and some will have stellar stats so I may be a longshot. But I’m preparing just in case.

…and that’s what you missed on GLEE!

The paper in question:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Luigi shouldn't have gotten credit for segueway today. :argh:

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 14, 2022

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Sean posted:

People laughing at her jokes was a dead giveaway for me.

Nice.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Timby posted:

Luigi shouldn't have gotten credit for segueway today. :argh:

I will admit that I never pronounce this correctly in my head when I read it, but:

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
https://twitter.com/jeopardy/status/1570495291287080961?s=46&t=g9-Xhv2v9jV5QDOMHYhH0w

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lol at Ken throwing shade at the texting abbreviations today. I don't know why they use that terrible category so often.

Also nice Waluigi joke by Ken

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

wa27 posted:

Lol at Ken throwing shade at the texting abbreviations today. I don't know why they use that terrible category so often.

Also nice Waluigi joke by Ken

Thanks to that, the mario 3 death music played in my head with Luigi's final bid

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1570961260514283520

Ken's just the best.

Luigi is the prime example of why you should play to win, not play to not lose. That wager 100% put the game in the hands of the 2nd place guy. I guess if you have absolutely zero knowledge of Disney it makes some sense, but otherwise don't give the ball to someone else with the game on the line.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Yeah, "don't bet that both you and your opponent will be wrong" when you're in the lead is like rule #1 for Final. I like Luigi and am glad he made it to 5 wins but he should have won more

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
He should have won less, that one person supposedly didn't do her math right a couple days ago.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

"Palmetto" as a correct answer was dumb.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I wonder if they would've accepted "plam", which is how I pronounce "palm"

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I guess if you have absolutely zero knowledge of Disney it makes some sense, but otherwise don't give the ball to someone else with the game on the line.[/spoiler]

as a corollary, nobody has absolutely zero knowledge of disney. even if you haven't bought a ticket to see a movie in a theater or anything you're likely still aware of a ton of it by osmosis. and sometimes FJ is really, really easy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Spokes posted:

as a corollary, nobody has absolutely zero knowledge of disney. even if you haven't bought a ticket to see a movie in a theater or anything you're likely still aware of a ton of it by osmosis. and sometimes FJ is really, really easy.

Just in general that's good advice. If you look at stats, even a superchamp like Amy was only like 70% on final.

Studying the different clue types they give, the overwhelming majority of finals are in the category of "you can probably figure it out from the way the clue is worded". You know Disney Songs is going to either be something Disney Renaissance (which, like you said, everyone will be at least vaguely aware of) or one of the original golden age movies (which has an even narrower set of songs people remember well). Maybe you'll get a random thing like Robin Hood or 101 Dalmations from the awkward years in between those eras. The number of possibilities is incredibly small compared to a category like "American authors" or "bodies of water".

The best advice I've absorbed from reading former champs' books and preparing to retake the exam: play every second of the game. Wagering should be automatic so you can spend that break compiling a list of possibilities like I did above this.

I think if you just know the names of some 90s Disney movies, you can make it a 1 in 5 shot right there. If you can try to think of songs that were played all the time on the radio, you have a coin flip. 50/50 odds without having to know Aladdin came out in 1993 (but if you know that fact, which you should if you've studied your Academy Awards lists, it's the easiest final in a long time).

All that said....it's loving Disney. They own like 80% of pop culture now. Unless they're going to ask who wrote the lyrics to When You Wish Upon a Star or something, you're gonna be fine (and if it's that hard, odds are your opponents also probably wagered big and missed it so it's a wash).

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

What is the Emancipalinr Prinumilko

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

mearn posted:

What is the Emancipalinr Prinumilko

Do you think he intentionally wrote it lovely for a laugh?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm impressed he was the only one who got it right

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wa27 posted:

Do you think he intentionally wrote it lovely for a laugh?

I would expect not; those pens are exceptionally lovely in terms of registering what you're writing, and you don't really realize how bad they are until you're literally writing down your first FJ answer at the end of the game.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I was prepared to boo hin after his cowardly wager on the final DD. Go for the kill!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i cannot honestly say i would have resisted the urge to write "Emancipitation Proclamation"

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

do you think jeopardy would let me use the cool keyboard option they bust out for accessibility if i tell them i have dysgraphia, which is true and not a lie. and do you think other nerds would start saying that so they can use the keyboard too

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Paper Lion posted:

do you think jeopardy would let me use the cool keyboard option they bust out for accessibility if i tell them i have dysgraphia, which is true and not a lie. and do you think other nerds would start saying that so they can use the keyboard too

Nowadays, I think they'd be reasonable and allow it.

Honestly, I think they should just switch to keyboards for final so handwriting isn't an issue anymore, but that's just me.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I say they go the opposite direction and have all FJ answers written on clay tablets.

In cuneiform.

Like Nisaba intended.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
100% Jeopardy has done the "Now you see me" / "Now you don't" gag in a clue before

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

CPColin posted:

100% Jeopardy has done the "Now you see me" / "Now you don't" gag in a clue before

It's still stupid that Fox wouldn't use the obvious title for the sequel either

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Island Nation posted:

It's still stupid that Fox wouldn't use the obvious title for the sequel either

I was really hoping they would and they'd just lean into the camp after how bad the first one was. Both opportunities were missed :sad:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Super impressed by the Art Fleming era Jeopardy contestant winning again 50 years later.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm not sure why I expected better but Celebrity Jeopardy was awful. Not sure who's idea Triple Jeopardy was but Jesus does the game just drag.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm not sure why I expected better but Celebrity Jeopardy was awful. Not sure who's idea Triple Jeopardy was but Jesus does the game just drag.

Yeah, that was bad. I get that banter was encouraged, but Simu Liu and Ego Nwodim were just obnoxious, whereas Andy just wanted to play the drat game.

Edit: And I believe EP Michael Davies came up with the Triple Jeopardy concept because he was tasked with filling a full hour for a single game.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Timby posted:

Edit: And I believe EP Michael Davies came up with the Triple Jeopardy concept because he was tasked with filling a full hour for a single game.

Yeah it's not even really "triple" since they halved the values for the first round. Aside from 3 extra DDs, there's the exact same amount of money on the boards in total but 50% more clues. It's 100% "how could we stretch this to an hour".

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's just extra awful because Wheel of Fortune already figured it out. Just play 2 games! if you absolutely have to draw it out for 3 months, then just have the celebrities play twice and make it a combination game. Or do double elimination/loser's bracket.

I guess they'd be stuck writing an extra batch of easy clues.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's just extra awful because Wheel of Fortune already figured it out. Just play 2 games!

It's already a solved problem on Jeopardy; that's how they did the Greatest of All Time tournament two years ago: Two games per match (night), first to three match victories is the winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

that sounds like a bit too much consecutive time spent thinking for the celebrities

i imagine they black out on the stage just like real jeopardy competitors, but its out of boredom rather than delirious focus