Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I quite liked high school Jerry saying "the worst she can say is 'no'", seems to speak to a change in him, he wasn't afraid of trying and failing back then.

How did Jerry get to Jerryboree? And is it going to be plot relevant? It's come up in the last two episodes. Not that the post credit gag didn't justify itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

And how did all the Jerrys get there?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

nooneofconsequence posted:

And how did all the Jerrys get there?

I'm assuming they've all been left there

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

ikanreed posted:

I'm assuming they've all been left there
But they should have been pulled back to their original dimensions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Jerryboree is probably stocked with a bunch of cloned Jerries so that a Jerry isn't left there alone.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

How did Jerry get to Jerryboree?

Did he go there in a spaceship?

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
He used the secret portal gun that even Rick himself does not know about.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I do wish they'd drop the Jerry acts suicidal at the drop of a hat gimmick

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

But they should have been pulled back to their original dimensions.

Our Rick and Morty went to Jerryboree by ship.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Jerryboree asteroid was described as "cross-temporal" and it didn't require a portal to reach it so it's likely still perfectly functional and accessible.

Macatt
May 3, 2005

PneumonicBook posted:

Morty's obviously just saying Discovery Channel in response to Rick asking him what he's thankful for. This is not a 4th tier meta joke.

loving goons.

That's what I want it to be, nothing more than the first random thing Morty could forcibly conjure as a response while having a breakdown listening to the horror sounds, because that's hilarious. But it was unavoidable that that particular "random" response would remind viewers of the real-world corporate shenanigans of the new parent company. It was immersion breaking.

Guy A. Person posted:

He was saying "why?" as in like "why is this happening/why are we doing this stupid Thanksgiving game while I'm hearing my parents gently caress" and then also coming up with "Discovery Channel" as a random thing to fit Rick's criteria of something to be thankful for.

It might have also been an intentional reference to Discovery's acquisition of WB but certainly more in line with "hey bosses, Morty is grateful for Discovery Channel, see we love you parent company!"

That explanation seems to make the most sense of any -- that Morty was speaking for the show, praising its new corporate overlord in an ironic, "don't cancel us" way. And although it was jarring to have Morty speak positively about Discovery after their recent bad press, the fact that he said it under duress with his mind barely even on the subject could have been meant to convey a level of insincerity on the part of the writers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think there's an element that as they developed the family (they've all changed a bit from their season 1/2 versions) they realised that original Jerry was too over the top in being useless and cowardly. They literally wrote him out of the family and it felt right and better for everyone.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I liked how the episode gave Jerry more assertiveness and then the post credit scene reassured us that Jerry's still Jerry.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

live with fruit posted:

I liked how the episode gave Jerry more assertiveness and then the post credit scene reassured us that Jerry's still Jerry.

hosed up how this show has actually made me like jerry

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Alchenar posted:

I think there's an element that as they developed the family (they've all changed a bit from their season 1/2 versions) they realised that original Jerry was too over the top in being useless and cowardly. They literally wrote him out of the family and it felt right and better for everyone.

Original Jerry wasn’t though? They only started writing him as the most pathetic cowardly person in the universe in season three. Before that he was just Morty’s average loser dad. You get the feeling in season three that someone in the writers room was having some real life issues that they were vicariously acting out on the character that season.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Original Jerry wasn’t though? They only started writing him as the most pathetic cowardly person in the universe in season three. Before that he was just Morty’s average loser dad. You get the feeling in season three that someone in the writers room was having some real life issues that they were vicariously acting out on the character that season.

He was an above average loser in season one. Hungry for Apples?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

live with fruit posted:

He was an above average loser in season one. Hungry for Apples?

How does a guy like that go home and have sex with his wife?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Season 1 Jerry was a loser that needed a catalyst to change, and he got it in the Cronenberg catastrophe

Season 2 Jerry was the just the worst

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Extremely real that people often change for the worse.

Also, I feel like the show has been pretty consistent in showing that Beth and Jerry have only "improved" their marriage in the sense that they've accepted they're both horrible people who are also extremely co-dependent and that the best way for their marriage to work is to avoid trying to change the other one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jerry, like Rick, Beth, Morty, & Summer, got way worse before he got better.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Great gag during one of the gaming scenes where Cloud couldn't lift the buster sword.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TheFattestPat posted:

Rick saying he will get high and play video games is the absolutely correct response to this situation. I do appreciate that they really want to escape reality for a while, but every game they play is trying to be super realistic for the most part.

This is all starting to give me later season Simpsons vibes. How many marriage issues can these two (three?) go through before I just start skipping these episodes?
This wasn't a marriage issue, though. It was an afternoon of discomfort that led to a stronger marriage as a result without resorting to "and we've all learned an important lesson and I'll never take Marge/Lois/Whoever for granted again!"

This is one of my favorite episodes ever.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

therapy good for Beth and Jerry

therapy good for everyone

Macatt
May 3, 2005
Another impressive aspect of this episode was that it took place almost entirely inside the home. To my recollection only the Beths' brief space tryst and the after-credits stinger occurred elsewhere. It's always neat to see stories unfold based mostly on dialogue and interactions rather than physical action and attention-grabbing set pieces.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So I was bored and actually went ahead and actually attempted to quantify whether the series "jumped the shark" after season 2. And also to disprove the obvious misogyny of saying it was "Female Writers" fault. So without further ado, my TED Talk/Wendy's Drive Through order:

Season 3 Ratings
"The Rickshank Rickdemption" Mike McMahan: Good
"Rickmancing the Stone" Jane Becker: Meh
"Pickle Rick" Jessica Gao: Meh, cringe ending
"Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender" Sarah Carbiener & Erica Rosbe: Bad, like really Bad, top three worst episodes
"The Whirly Dirly Conspiracy" Ryan Ridley: Bad
"Rest and Ricklaxation" Tom Kauffman: Good
"The Ricklantis Mixup" Dan Guterman & Ryan Ridley: Overated. Some good parts
"Morty's Mind Blowers" Mike McMahan, James Siciliano, Ryan Ridley, Dan Guterman, Justin Roiland & Dan Harmon: Good
"The ABC's of Beth" Mike McMahan: Bad
"The Rickchurian Mortydate" Dan Harmon: Bad
Overall: 30% Good Episodes, 30% Bad Episodes 40% Meh
Misogyny Quotient: Only one of the bad episodes was by women

Season 4
"Edge of Tomorty: Rick Die Rickpeat" Mike McMahan: Great
"The Old Man and the Seat" Michael Waldron: Good
"One Crew over the Crewcoo's Morty" Caitie Delaney: Good
"Claw and Hoarder: Special Ricktim's Morty" Jeff Loveness: gently caress You it’s good
"Rattlestar Ricklactica" James Siciliano: Great, stellar even
"Never Ricking Morty" Jeff Loveness: Great
"Promortyus" Jeff Loveness: Good
"The Vat of Acid Episode" Jeff Loveness & Albro Lundy: Good
"Childrick of Mort" James Siciliano: Good
"Star Mort Rickturn of the Jerri" Anne Lane: Meh
Overall: 90% good a great Season
Misogyny Quotient: One good episode and one meh episode, no bad ones

Season 5
"Mort Dinner Rick Andre" Jeff Loveness: Good
"Mortyplicity" Albro Lundy: Great, truly great, a series highpoint
"A Rickconvenient Mort" Rob Schrab: Bad
"Rickdependence Spray" Nick Rutherford: Bad, really bad, top 3 worst episodes
"Amortycan Grickfitti" Anne Lane: meh
"Rick & Morty's Thanksploitation Spectacular" James Siciliano: Great
"Gotron Jerrysis Rickvangelion" John Harris: Bad, really bad, top 3 worst episodes
"Rickternal Friendshine of the Spotless Mort" Albro Lundy: Bad
"Forgetting Sarick Mortshall" Siobhan Thompson: Good
"Rickmurai Jack" Jeff Loveness & Scott Marder: Meh
Overall: 40% good, 20% Meh, 40% Bad, A rollercoaster of quality
Misogyny Quotient: 2 Female written episodes, one good and one meh episode, no bad ones

In conclusion: Nothing wrong with the women writers. Season 3 had the least good episodes, but Season 5 had the most stinkers. Season 4 was consistently high quality.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

galagazombie posted:

So I was bored and actually went ahead and actually attempted to quantify whether the series "jumped the shark" after season 2.

It didn't. And 3, 4 and 5 were all good. Except Gotron was just like okay.

Also

quote:

"Vindicators 3: The Return of Worldender" Sarah Carbiener & Erica Rosbe: Bad, like really Bad, top three worst episodes

I will truly never understand the point of view of someone that doesn't like the Vindicators episode. It's like top 3 best episodes to me.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, season 1/2 were also not without their fault. Even within otherwise good episodes—and relevant to this most recent one—there were a lot of lovely marriage sub-splots that dragged down otherwise enjoyable stories.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Loved the vindicators episode, especially the ghost train conductor guy

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

This very concept betrays that you don't know how TV writing works. That's ok, it's not exactly common knowledge, but it really shits on the whole premise of the argument, one way or another.

The credited writer is not the person who "wrote the episode." Usually, it's the person tasked with the initial outline and first draft. Here's how it typically goes, especially in a Dan Harmon show. (He's been very open about the process.)

The episodes are assigned to one of the staff writers. They write the first outline and first draft. Then it goes to the showrunner for a rewrite. Then it goes to the room for some punchup. After that, it goes through the original process again: the credited writer takes a pass, the showrunner takes a pass. It might even go to the room again. Then Harmon takes it and usually rewrites it entirely. Then it might go back to the room again. Harmon gets the final say and he usually is responsible for at least half of every episode.

So, if you want to complain about anyone's writing, you should direct your complaints at Harmon.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm never gonna remember any of the loving stupid names this show has, other than The Vat Of Acid Episode. Kinda hope every episode in the show's final season is just titled "Rick And Morty". Not, "Rick any Morty 1" or "Rick and Morty 2", etc. Just "Rick and Morty".

If we're talking worst episodes of the show, then the two that stick out in my mind for being the most ugly are the sex planet one and the Beth and Jerry spa day one. Whatever they're called.

Vindicators was pretty good IMO. The pay off with the train is gold.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ashpanash posted:

This very concept betrays that you don't know how TV writing works. That's ok, it's not exactly common knowledge, but it really shits on the whole premise of the argument, one way or another.

The credited writer is not the person who "wrote the episode." Usually, it's the person tasked with the initial outline and first draft. Here's how it typically goes, especially in a Dan Harmon show. (He's been very open about the process.)

The episodes are assigned to one of the staff writers. They write the first outline and first draft. Then it goes to the showrunner for a rewrite. Then it goes to the room for some punchup. After that, it goes through the original process again: the credited writer takes a pass, the showrunner takes a pass. It might even go to the room again. Then Harmon takes it and usually rewrites it entirely. Then it might go back to the room again. Harmon gets the final say and he usually is responsible for at least half of every episode.

So, if you want to complain about anyone's writing, you should direct your complaints at Harmon.

Isn't this kind of collaborative or semi-collaborative process the norm for comedy shows anyway? I've always seen the writer's credit in those cases as similar to the director's credit on a lot of TV shows where it'll get passed around to help people build experience and resume material.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's funny that a woman wrote Pickle Rick because that's the dude broiest episode of the entire series.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Skippy McPants posted:

Isn't this kind of collaborative or semi-collaborative process the norm for comedy shows anyway? I've always seen the writer's credit in those cases as similar to the director's credit on a lot of TV shows where it'll get passed around to help people build experience and resume material.

Yeah, it's pretty typical. Sometimes you have outliers - Sorkin was famous for just doing a bunch of coke and writing everything himself. On Mad Men Matt Weiner would often add his credit to any episode he basically rewrote entirely, which was a lot of them. Harmon, Mike Schur, lots of others rewrite most of the episodes but still let the draft writer get the writing credit. Chuck Lorre shows and Modern Family guy still credit the draft writer but instead of the executive producer getting the final say, the room collaborates on the rewrite and the showrunner may take a pass, but Lorre just cashes checks. (I think that's what Harmon does on the Danny Devito devil show but I haven't read much about it.)

If you really want a show where the credited writer actually wrote the thing, sketches on SNL are a good example.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, season 1/2 were also not without their fault. Even within otherwise good episodes—and relevant to this most recent one—there were a lot of lovely marriage sub-splots that dragged down otherwise enjoyable stories.

Not saying they weren't, but Season 3 is the "point where it gets bad" and the point was to see if that was actually the case, and it wasn't. Season 4 in particular is a stand out with no outright bad episodes and only one that I would consider not up to par. Season 5 is the weird one since it's not just a mix of good and bad, but the bad are the baddest in the shows history and the goods are some of the goodest.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

live with fruit posted:

It's funny that a woman wrote Pickle Rick because that's the dude broiest episode of the entire series.

Well, it's an episode all about how stupid and self-destructive it is to avoid therapy, so hopefully all those dude bros are inspired to seek help to improve their mental health.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Macaluso posted:

I will truly never understand the point of view of someone that doesn't like the Vindicators episode. It's like top 3 best episodes to me.

I agree it's in my top episodes, there's so many bits that I laughed at the first time and it's a great showing of how dangerous and irrational Rick gets when he's petty.

"What the hell is Israel?"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah actually I'd agree. I'd put it in my Top Ten.

It's not as good as the battery episode, or the Tales from the Citadel episode, or Pickle Rick IMO. But I certainly think about it more than a lot of the other ones.

I've really come to like the show actually, after being super ambivalent on the first two seasons. I'm glad I stuck with the show.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vindicators 3 is good. I can never hate episodes where Morty is just going off and is completely sick of Rick's poo poo.

Didn't like Vindicators 2 so much. It had some neat moments, but I didn't like how they reframed the core conflict to be about rick and retroactively made everything Supernova's fault.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

was "Beth and Jerry go to interstellar marriage counseling" in season 2 or season 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

2, they weren't together as a couple in 3 at all. I wanna say the Tiny Rick episode?