Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think CP2077 is great but I couldn’t get into the outer worlds.

I’d definitely go with CP2077.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Doom is also an RPG because you play the role of the doom guy

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Augus posted:

Doom is also an RPG because you play the role of the doom guy

level up your jump

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dewgy posted:

Just to be clear: Outer Worlds is not Outer Wilds.

Just to be clear: Outer Wilds is a roguelike soulslike, Outer Worlds is a signpainting simulator parkour splatformer

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
outer world isn't bad

in the context of feeling like a direct spiritual sequel to fallout 1 as if gameplay hadn't advanced at all between 1998 and now, but it's not bad

unless you're looking for solid FPS combat in which case it's extremely bad

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

skyrim but hypercapitalist future and not enough guns

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

2077 is skyrim hypercapitalist nearer future and too many guns but not enough to shoot

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

skyrim doesnt have enough guns really

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
I just wanted to run around and shoot poo poo like doom. I knew cyberpunk was an open world rpg kinda thing but I was hoping it maybe had a lot of action and not so much rpg. Oh well. I kinda figured outer worlds wasn't gonna fit the bill but I was hopeful. I was excited deathloop got put on ps plus today but apparently it's a rogue like and I can't stand those so.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hector Delgado posted:

Finished Deliver Us the Moon the other night and I was really impressed. Great mix of chill look-around areas and environmental hazard/low oxygen races against the clock. Sometimes it's 3rd person perspective, other times 1st. I thought the story was pretty interesting, it's totally not a horror game. If you're looking for a "explore a research base gone dark" game and don't like horror, this is for you. It's part of ps+ extra as well. A sequel is coming out in a few months, Deliver Us Mars, looks like you get a new traversal tool. I usually just beat a game and move on but this one really grabbed me. Once I upgraded my ps+ and got access to a bunch of games, I've been playing like 20 minutes, going hmmm, and trying something else. But this one was a keeper. Definitely going to buy the sequel, want to support the devs for making something different.

I liked it too. The first time I had to go do something quickly I was caught completely off guard, I didn't assume there would be any impetus.

I however am upset that I missed some of the memories because I was lookin!!!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Hoffadoff posted:

I just wanted to run around and shoot poo poo like doom. I knew cyberpunk was an open world rpg kinda thing but I was hoping it maybe had a lot of action and not so much rpg. Oh well. I kinda figured outer worlds wasn't gonna fit the bill but I was hopeful. I was excited deathloop got put on ps plus today but apparently it's a rogue like and I can't stand those so.

Deathloop is not a roguelite lol. I wonder how much Bethesda's marketing department regrets putting loop in the title. You might like it, it's in the immersive sim tradition but fundamentally an action FPS. Has its flaws but there's some cool unique stuff there too. The invasion multiplayer is cool and probably getting a shot in the arm since it's getting an update, Xbox release, and crossplay.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Outer World 2: Forbidden Wilds

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
There is a pretty distinct lack of FPS games that aren't DOOM or about the military in the current console generation tbh

Prodeus looks pretty good though, probably gonna try to beat Doom 64 before I try it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Woah I didn’t realize Ellie kept sams robot toy the first time I played tlou 2

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MarcusSA posted:

RDR did kinda on the series x. It runs pretty friggin great at 60fps

I don’t think RDR got an fps boost (past 30).

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)

acksplode posted:

Deathloop is not a roguelite lol. I wonder how much Bethesda's marketing department regrets putting loop in the title. You might like it, it's in the immersive sim tradition but fundamentally an action FPS. Has its flaws but there's some cool unique stuff there too. The invasion multiplayer is cool and probably getting a shot in the arm since it's getting an update, Xbox release, and crossplay.

Well then maybe I'll give it a shot. The psn description made it sound like you have 1 day to kill 8 targets and if you don't it resets and you try again. But maybe I'm a dummy and just read it wrong.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
If you like heavy metal or rhythm games at all Hellsinger just came out and that's pretty much just Doom where you murder in time to the soundtrack.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

Deathloop is a boomer shmupvania with RTS elements

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Hoffadoff posted:

Well then maybe I'll give it a shot. The psn description made it sound like you have 1 day to kill 8 targets and if you don't it resets and you try again. But maybe I'm a dummy and just read it wrong.

It's more Majora's Mask than roguelite. Narrative focused immersive sim with a heavy bent toward action that happens to take place in a time loop. You don't start trying to kill all 8 targets until late in the game, you have to work up to it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

There is a pretty distinct lack of FPS games that aren't DOOM or about the military in the current console generation tbh

Prodeus looks pretty good though, probably gonna try to beat Doom 64 before I try it

Yeah, we've got Resident Evil 8 and that's it.

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)

acksplode posted:

It's more Majora's Mask than roguelite. Narrative focused immersive sim with a heavy bent toward action that happens to take place in a time loop. You don't start trying to kill all 8 targets until late in the game, you have to work up to it.

Well then I'll give it a shot. I mean I might as well since it's "free" anyway. Thanks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, we've got Resident Evil 8 and that's it.

Metro Exodus

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)

SubponticatePoster posted:

If you like heavy metal or rhythm games at all Hellsinger just came out and that's pretty much just Doom where you murder in time to the soundtrack.

Holy poo poo I just went and looked this up. This looks awesome. Definitely gonna have to give this a try.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Wolfsheim posted:

Ghostwire Tokyo is right there, man

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

StormDrain posted:

I liked it too. The first time I had to go do something quickly I was caught completely off guard, I didn't assume there would be any impetus.

I however am upset that I missed some of the memories because I was lookin!!!

Yeah, same here. I thought I was pretty thorough searching for clues, but ended up missing 2 replays and a few scannables. Missing the replays surprised me as they were kinda hard to miss. At least the level select shows which levels have replays undiscovered.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Isn't Artyom part of the underground militia or something?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not really, but he is somewhat former sci fi military I guess. And Doomguy is a marine and Chris Redfield is a cop. I assumed they were talking about mil sim stuff.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There's a fair amount of good third-person shooters, which I kinda always think of as being kin to FPS games. Like Control and chat favorite Returnal scratch similar itches to run and gun FPS games.

If it simply must be first person, then yeah it's Doom, Wolfenstein, and if we go back far enough Titanfall 2.

PC has a glut of good boomer shooters right now, but Prodeus is the first really good one that seems to be coming to consoles.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Not really, but he is somewhat former sci fi military I guess. And Doomguy is a marine and Chris Redfield is a cop. I assumed they were talking about mil sim stuff.

I can't remember poo poo and FPS and first person games in general aren't my genre so I just don't look at them anyway. We forgot a bunch of poo poo, Ghostwire: Tokyo for one, as well as: Borderlands 3, the Predator game, Destiny 2, Hunt Showdown, Farcry, Bugsnax, and I don't know if Serious Sam counts or not because as far as I know he's a government or military agent and I don't know if that disqualifies him or not.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

Just to be clear: Outer Worlds is not Outer Wilds.

Ah yes I got confused because why would anyone bring up The Outer Worlds in 2022 lmao. So forgettable

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Outer worlds sucks. Absolute rubbish.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

acksplode posted:

The injustice of RDR2 not having a next gen patch is second only to the situation with Bloodborne. It looks ridiculous at 4k 60fps

I’m putting my gamerbux on one of these two things being at Jeff Keylees Video Game Awards.

Oxxidation posted:

cyberpunk has its merits but it's not very good as a shooter. guns sound great but your character's damage feedback is really bad, you'll just hear a soft thwip-thwip and suddenly half your lifebar is missing

this is like one of many other things that make the game feel like it was developed entirely on Friday afternoons and everyone was antsy to get home. Doesn’t help that when I play I’m usually stoned out my gourd so my ability to engage in combat is pretty hampered

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

away from ps5 for a week or so because i'm at my parents' place and i heard that deathloop is getting an extended ending if you break the loop. reactions seem mixed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Really more of a deathflowchart at this point.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Sony lol come on cerny

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1572472744062898177?s=20&t=Y7v5FxG-RwBkuIfpdazE6g

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jim Ryan leaves my cryin'

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Regardless of whether or not that is true, it 100% is and always has been a money related move. Sony, more than any other company loves to use "next gen" as a way to squeeze more money out of people. They have yet to just make a native PS5 version of a PS4 game without trying to turn a profit while almost everyone else does it for free. Sony sees it as a bargaining chip/marketing tool/way to charge people more.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

It was my idea to not release this and also to raise the price of the console. I am set to receive multiple bonuses in the next fiscal year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Regardless of whether or not that is true, it 100% is and always has been a money related move. Sony, more than any other company loves to use "next gen" as a way to squeeze more money out of people. They have yet to just make a native PS5 version of a PS4 game without trying to turn a profit while almost everyone else does it for free. Sony sees it as a bargaining chip/marketing tool/way to charge people more.

They already sell every console they build so there's literally no point to giving anything away for free