Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Pimpcasso posted:

The only people I know that watch it outside the forums are people I've convinced to watch it

edit - it's amazing how good Reservation Dogs is and I loved the bigfoot right at the end of the last episode

I've never been able to convince anyone to watch Barry. People always just give me a weird look when I tell them there's this really good show about a serial killer who wants to be an actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Captain Jesus posted:

I've never been able to convince anyone to watch Barry. People always just give me a weird look when I tell them there's this really good show about a serial killer who wants to be an actor.

I watched season 1, and didn't find it particularly funny. I think it's just not to everyone's taste. I can handle a dark sense of humor, it just wasn't for me.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I watched the first couple seasons of Barry with my wife. I like all the hitman stuff, but the amateur acting parts are so cringey that I couldn't handle it anymore and bailed.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

I watched the first couple seasons of Barry with my wife. I like all the hitman stuff, but the amateur acting parts are so cringey that I couldn't handle it anymore and bailed.

Barry does require a certain tolerance for Hollywood in-joking.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

live with fruit posted:

Barry does require a certain tolerance for Hollywood in-joking.

The Californians!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Edward Mass posted:

I assume that catalogue is on Hulu instead.

So Disney+ is just the children's stuff? drat, they should call it Disney-

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
In the US, Disney+ is kids/family stuff. Hulu is everything else. There's some exceptions, like the Netflix Marvel shows are on Disney+. I figure some day Hulu will go away and merge with Disney+. I think the issue is that they're still in the process of acquiring Universal's slice of the Hulu pie.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Outside the US a lot of the Hulu stuff is under a subsection of the service labelled Star

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 20, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Gripweed posted:

So Disney+ is just the children's stuff? drat, they should call it Disney-

Nah, they actually have mature content on there. I think they have some rated R movies like Deadpool, and they have all the Netflix Marvel shows. It seems very arbitrary how they decide what to put on Disney Plus and what to put on Hulu, and the CEO has said he sees a possible merger of the two platforms.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Nihonniboku posted:

Nah, they actually have mature content on there. I think they have some rated R movies like Deadpool, and they have all the Netflix Marvel shows. It seems very arbitrary how they decide what to put on Disney Plus and what to put on Hulu, and the CEO has said he sees a possible merger of the two platforms.

Right now it's pretty much just Marvel related stuff as far as I can tell. I don't think anything Star Wars related ever got beyond PG13, but if it did it'd probably end up there too. It's largely the stuff they want to market along with Disney stuff.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

They can say bad words on FX now, I demand an X Videos app on my PlayStation

It's the only way I'll ever see VR cinema erotique

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nihonniboku posted:

Deadpool and the Marvel shows are for children. They have swears and punches so kids will feel grown up watching them, but they are for children.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I know that I, an adult, never laughed at Deadpool

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Not sure how much a child is going to care about She Hulk hooking up on Tindr or whatever

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shageletic posted:

Not sure how much a child is going to care about She Hulk hooking up on Tindr or whatever

All the clips I've seen online are definitely from a kid's show. It might be one of those Steven Universe things where it's a kids show made for adults who only watch kids shows, but that still counts.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Holy poo poo gripweed is back. I've had him on ignore for years now.

He's a troll but not funny or clever or anything remotely close.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Gripweed posted:

All the clips I've seen online are definitely from a kid's show. It might be one of those Steven Universe things where it's a kids show made for adults who only watch kids shows, but that still counts.

Let me ask why is there is no R Lee Ermey funko pop? I am a Marine (long ago) and that is the only funko pop I would ever consider owning USMC related.

Edit: Actual content, new Mike Flanagan series and it is not based on the Rockstar game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBhyUxRzANY

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 20, 2022

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Field Mousepad posted:

If that's the case, it's the kind of trolling I haven't seen around here in a very long time that somethingawful used to be known for. Or maybe I'm just not reading the threads where that still goes on.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don’t even know which of my posts you consider trolling. Do you think it’s unbelievable that someone wouldn’t know which Disney content is on Disney+ and which is on Hulu?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Field Mousepad posted:

I think he just has very bad opinions and some compulsion to share them with the world.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

Oh, copy that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Gripweed posted:

I don’t even know which of my posts you consider trolling. Do you think it’s unbelievable that someone wouldn’t know which Disney content is on Disney+ and which is on Hulu?

I usually google a program and it says what streaming service has it in the results

Just bought better call Saul s6 cause I couldn’t find it on Netflix and my lawyer friend is visiting and we really like watching that show

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

A MIRACLE posted:

I usually google a program and it says what streaming service has it in the results

Just bought better call Saul s6 cause I couldn’t find it on Netflix and my lawyer friend is visiting and we really like watching that show

There was a deal to get a month of Disney+ for 2 dollars and I got it figuring I could at least watch the Marvel shows and whatever other random stuff was on it. I didn't know the selection was so limited.

Also, I may have thought that Miramax was a Disney property

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think he just has very bad opinions and some compulsion to share them with the world.

Tomato tomatoe

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

All I've done in this thread is be unaware of what content is on Disney+ and say that Deadpool is not a mature film for adults. I've done nothing to deserve this abuse.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok he's trolling

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i remember seeing deadpool in theaters and being astonished that people had brought their very young children

edit same with sausage party

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gripweed posted:

It used to be, it was their distributor for stuff they didn't want associated with the Disney brand. But then in the late aughts they decided to stop making that stuff and sold it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I've been thinking a lot about the difference between "adult" and "adolescent." Like, obviously those shows aren't made for kids, but they're also definitely not mature in themes or execution (I'll give something like Harley Quinn more credit on this front, actually).

Basically, if you think the creator actually intended to insert all their weird psychosexual poo poo into a cartoon, it might be an adult cartoon. If they didn't intend to, then it's probably a kids cartoon. If the "maturity" is basically that they can curse and show blood, then you're in adolescent territory.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It used to be, it was their distributor for stuff they didn't want associated with the Disney brand. But then in the late aughts they decided to stop making that stuff and sold it.

Oh thank god. I was so sure it was but then looked it up and thought I was in a Mandela Effect deal. Glad to know I was just extremely out of the loop, not crazy.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gripweed posted:

There was a deal to get a month of Disney+ for 2 dollars and I got it figuring I could at least watch the Marvel shows and whatever other random stuff was on it. I didn't know the selection was so limited.

Really the only things on Disney+ that interested me were The Simpsons and Tron Legacy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Modern Leper posted:

I've been thinking a lot about the difference between "adult" and "adolescent." Like, obviously those shows aren't made for kids, but they're also definitely not mature in themes or execution (I'll give something like Harley Quinn more credit on this front, actually).

Basically, if you think the creator actually intended to insert all their weird psychosexual poo poo into a cartoon, it might be an adult cartoon. If they didn't intend to, then it's probably a kids cartoon. If the "maturity" is basically that they can curse and show blood, then you're in adolescent territory.

The line is absolutely blurred now and a lot of "adult" TV and movies feel like they were made for children but with dirty stuff in it. At the same time a lot of traditional adult targeted stuff is also absolute trash and just as dumb (see most network television dramas) so it's sort of a wash.

But it's still very weird because some of this stuff I've seen lately is like, the quality of a nickelodeon show or after school teen drama from 1991 and feels like 11 year olds are supposed to be watching it, but it's full of swearing and sometimes sex and violence, and I feel like I'm in bizarro world.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I enjoyed the first Deadpool. Not every joke landed but I was still cracking up and it was very entertaining. I hated the second one. None of those jokes landed for me and I really disliked their Cable.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Disposable Scud posted:

I enjoyed the first Deadpool. Not every joke landed but I was still cracking up and it was very entertaining. I hated the second one. None of those jokes landed for me and I really disliked their Cable.
I felt the same way and I was surprised that most people seemed to like the second one as well.

I will say that the James Bond style opening to the second one was fantastic though.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

The line is absolutely blurred now and a lot of "adult" TV and movies feel like they were made for children but with dirty stuff in it. At the same time a lot of traditional adult targeted stuff is also absolute trash and just as dumb (see most network television dramas) so it's sort of a wash.

But it's still very weird because some of this stuff I've seen lately is like, the quality of a nickelodeon show or after school teen drama from 1991 and feels like 11 year olds are supposed to be watching it, but it's full of swearing and sometimes sex and violence, and I feel like I'm in bizarro world.

I think it’s always been like that. Men in tights was my favourite movie as a kid and it’s full of sex jokes that I didn’t get but it’s also so dumb and juvenile that I think few adults would enjoy it on their own. Same goes for a lot of parody movies from that era tho.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Love is blind is one of the funniest loving things I have ever watched. It’s such trash

The reunion episode for Season 2 is one of the most surreal things I've seen. It's like a recreation of the Chappelle Show Mad Real World skit, where the one sane person just gets ganged up on and made to look like an rear end in a top hat by a bunch of lunatics.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

veni veni veni posted:

That's just playing nostalgia games with the elder millennials who were 11 or 12 when the original reference came out. Like Wonder Showzen or a Tijuana Bible :cheeky:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Handmaids Tale is just very stupid now but the thing that I just can't get over is Serena having a group of fans who follow her around in canada lol

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

The Handmaids Tale is just very stupid now but the thing that I just can't get over is Serena having a group of fans who follow her around in canada lol

So I stopped watching a couple of seasons back. You can share in spoiler tags, but why is she in Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The first Clerks movie is like pure distillation of 90s Gen X apathy. It’s so loving weird that Kevin Smith made a god drat Clerks trilogy. Obviously the idea is that you watch these characters grow but they’re so fundamentally uninteresting outside of the parameters of the first film.

People talk about sequels being unnecessary and I can’t think of a better example then Clerks II & III.