Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
enriched sugar, has extra iron, calcium , protein , and other trace vitamins and minerals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

PhazonLink posted:

enriched sugar, has extra iron, calcium , protein , and other trace vitamins and minerals.

You've tried Himalayan pink salt. Now try Humanremains pink sugar.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The fact that America repressed birth rates to the point where the old population is growing relative to thr young essentially means that employees will have leverage over employers for many years to come.

And employers will try every loving insane idea possible to avoid having to treat people with even a modicum of respect. Boomers will be getting call backs and pay raises in their retirements until they're well into their 90s before paying millenials and Gen Zs worth a poo poo.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at multiple countries each doing their own version of the crazy cocktail problem of that.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

A Festivus Miracle posted:

The fact that America repressed birth rates to the point where the old population is growing relative to thr young essentially means that employees will have leverage over employers for many years to come.

And employers will try every loving insane idea possible to avoid having to treat people with even a modicum of respect. Boomers will be getting call backs and pay raises in their retirements until they're well into their 90s before paying millenials and Gen Zs worth a poo poo.

The company I work for had a 20-year hiring freeze from 1980-2000, and following that a long-term union reduction policy to only backfill at 1/3, with no restriction on management hires. I guess they figured they'd eventually attrition the union out of existence? What's been interesting is that because management doesn't have a union, their pay is lovely (and often less than the people they supervise), they have no pension plan (just a 401k). They have pretty bad retention problems as a result, meaning that the company doesn't have the necessary operational resilience to actually take over any of the union roles they are trying to sunset!

Anyway in the past 6 months they hired like 20 new jr union techs for our department, with indication that they will continue to do so. Totally abandoning the attrition policy because of operational needs. At some point, these companies will need to accept reality, but i don't think they will do so willingly. I hope they unionize a bunch of sectors that are just dogshit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sugar mills crush cane to produce the sugar water, which is then boiled down to a syrup which is then either refined further to make sugar or made into booze.

The "presses" are basically rollers that rotate against each other. Think those old-timey clothes wringers, but designed to crush a woody, bamboo-like plant flat to extract 100% of the liquid in it. Often steam powered later on.

So you're standing there feeding cane into this, slip up, and your hand goes in. And then your wrist follows it in. And then your upper arm. An then your elbow. And your shoulder/head are getting closer and closer and you're screaming for your coworkers.

That's what the ax is for.

How many points do you get for leaving early or missing time because your arm was amputated?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BiggerBoat posted:

How many points do you get for leaving early or missing time because your arm was amputated?

Just a handful.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Manually deducted

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I can't belive you've left us underhanded. We're gonna have to give you the axe.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Doing my annual review and reached the part where I have to say how I demonstrated my commitment to the company's "values".

idk what those are.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You keep the cultural ethos embedded into your team by your manager in the heart of all the work you do on a daily basis.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You didn't embezzle those funds despite how easy it would have been.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

Doing my annual review and reached the part where I have to say how I demonstrated my commitment to the company's "values".

idk what those are.

We have 10 company values that you have to rate yourself against and pick your best one. Luckily 3 of them. Are essentially 'did my loving job' so you can always just highlight those ones.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Last week we had to take "training" (i.e. watch a 20 minute lecture with no test or really acknowledgement that you paid attention) about building RELENTLESS TRUST.

This week we have to do one on RELENTLESS EMPATHY.

Can't wait to grab someone by the collar, pin them to the wall and scream "I understand your frustration! I AM HERE TO HELP!"

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

Last week we had to take "training" (i.e. watch a 20 minute lecture with no test or really acknowledgement that you paid attention) about building RELENTLESS TRUST.

Can't wait to grab someone by the collar, pin them to the wall and scream "I understand your frustration! I AM HERE TO HELP!"

Relentless empathy really sounds like a class on ignoring boundaries.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

if you don't have multiple restraining orders, your empathy is insufficiently relentless.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Cthulu Carl posted:

Are all the employees replicants?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I've been using the RELENTLESS TRUST training, at least.

... By which I mean I told my boss I was going to build a positive trust cycle with him, whether he likes it or not.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Love to be the only project engineer for like 12 different tasks with wildly different requirements and schedules, all using the same shared resources.

This pending offer better materialize this week so I can parachute out of this shithole.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Love to be the only project engineer for like 12 different tasks with wildly different requirements and schedules, all using the same shared resources.

This pending offer better materialize this week so I can parachute out of this shithole.

This latest retraction in employee counts and companies piling multiple roles on workers is just nuts.

I've spent the last three months as the only writer for 5 dev teams consisting of 70+ engineers, I'm also the acting Editor and Project manager for my department.
Luckily for me, the previous competent manager they fired is being rehired at a better rate and role.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Tetrabor posted:

This latest retraction in employee counts and companies piling multiple roles on workers is just nuts.

I've spent the last three months as the only writer for 5 dev teams consisting of 70+ engineers, I'm also the acting Editor and Project manager for my department.
Luckily for me, the previous competent manager they fired is being rehired at a better rate and role.

Oh and my counterpart on the production side is out on vacation so I'm fielding his issues as well.

Love it, haha, so fun working in a vuca environment haha, just gotta be agile and adapt lol, lmao.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I'm tired of traveling with my boomer coworker. I'm tired of the conservative talk radio he always has on. I'm tired of how he complains that people (who aren't supposed to be helping him) aren't helping him. I'm tired of how he doesn't follow directions then complains that things aren't turning out correctly.
Halfway through this trip now.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ah gently caress. Traveling with a coworker you like can be wearing enough. Condolences, for whatever it's worth.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

If I was stuck traveling with a coworker who insisted on playing conservative talk radio in the car, one of us would not survive the trip.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just go missing at a rest stop. Walk off and don't come back. Maybe try hitchhiking.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cthulu Carl posted:

I've been using the RELENTLESS TRUST training, at least.

... By which I mean I told my boss I was going to build a positive trust cycle with him, whether he likes it or not.

Oh it's TRUST, not… sorry, easy mistake to make.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

Oh it's TRUST, not… sorry, easy mistake to make.

He's ex-Navy, he already knows all about positive thrust cycles.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

JeffLeonard posted:

Are all the employees replicants?

Your boss swears at the printer, his arms flailing, struggling to insert the toner, but you're not helping him.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Critical posted:

Your boss swears at the printer, his arms flailing, struggling to insert the toner, but you're not helping him.

"Why aren't you helping him?"

"He didn't put in a ticket."

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
IM GONNA EMPATHIZS EVERYONE IN THE loving ROOM MAN!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Somebody decided the overhead radio that plays a sub 6 hour loop of 80s and early 90s top-40-equivalent needed to be turned back on just loud enough I can hear it but just quiet enough it's indistinct, and keep it on. And hum along to it loudly. After having a blessed six months or so free of it, with everybody agreeing it was an improvement.

I don't like working from home but more and more reasons to do it keep showing up.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Critical posted:

"What's a boss?"

"Ever meet an rear end in a top hat?"

"Yeah."

"Same thing."

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

DreadUnknown posted:

IM GONNA EMPATHIZS EVERYONE IN THE loving ROOM MAN!

ANY of you loving pigs FEEL, and I'll empathise every MOTHERFUCKING last one of you!

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Boomer coworker update:
Me and the other millennial coworker made him take us to a Jamaican place for dinner. He asked "Am I the right color for this?" And pulled all the cash out of his wallet and hid it in his car before going in. During dinner he complained that the thing he was working on, something he is not supposed to be working on, is not working. No real concern that the thing he is supposed to be working on isn't working either. He also complained how millennial coworker was very dirty and riding in his car, despite knowing we were going to work on customer equipment in the field in a dirty environment, and chose to drive his personal car rather than get a rental. Then he started on a Hillary rant and I tuned him out.
Last week I had to travel with my boomer boss. I'm tired of boomers.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

JeffLeonard posted:

"What's a boss?"

"Ever meet an rear end in a top hat?"

"Yeah."

"Same thing."

"Describe in single words, only the good things that come to mind about our mission statement."

"Let me tell you about our mission statement." :blastu:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Salami Surgeon posted:

Boomer coworker update:
Me and the other millennial coworker made him take us to a Jamaican place for dinner. He asked "Am I the right color for this?" And pulled all the cash out of his wallet and hid it in his car before going in. During dinner he complained that the thing he was working on, something he is not supposed to be working on, is not working. No real concern that the thing he is supposed to be working on isn't working either. He also complained how millennial coworker was very dirty and riding in his car, despite knowing we were going to work on customer equipment in the field in a dirty environment, and chose to drive his personal car rather than get a rental. Then he started on a Hillary rant and I tuned him out.
Last week I had to travel with my boomer boss. I'm tired of boomers.

Demand equal radio time and put on pod save America or npr and he will drive you into a tree. It'll be over one way or another.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SkyeAuroline posted:

Somebody decided the overhead radio that plays a sub 6 hour loop of 80s and early 90s top-40-equivalent needed to be turned back on just loud enough I can hear it but just quiet enough it's indistinct, and keep it on. And hum along to it loudly. After having a blessed six months or so free of it, with everybody agreeing it was an improvement.

I don't like working from home but more and more reasons to do it keep showing up.

A jury of your peers won't convict.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Atopian posted:

ANY of you loving pigs FEEL, and I'll empathise every MOTHERFUCKING last one of you!

Ringo tell that bitch to understand other people's feelings and perspectives, and to use that understanding to guide her actions!

Understand other people's feelings and perspectives, and to use that understanding to guide your actions Hunny Bunny.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Songs About loving by Big Black is audio napalm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
This Blue Velvet derail is real good.