Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

lih posted:

DLSS 3 is indeed 40 series only

Yeah, I see that flying for about six months before they "magically" figure out some way to make it backwards-compatible, even if it might not be as efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, the 4080 12GB in particular is going to barely be any more powerful in rasterization than a 3080 12GB. (if it is on par with a 3090, that's still probably less than 10% better?) And then from there things scale ridiculously with the 4090 potentially being almost 2x faster with just one SKU in between.

I posted this in the GPU thread, but there's an argument to be had that at the very high end, ray tracing performance improvements matter more than rasterization improvements since we've basically already solved rasterization and taken it about as far as devs are willing to go with it. But even there, I don't expect a massive increase.

I also think all of the 2x numbers and such Nvidia put out today are basically relying on DLSS 3 anyway.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I was honestly expecting $1999 for the 4090, but I suppose that'll probably be the MSRP for the inevitable 4090Ti, and I can't see the 4090Ti being anything but a 24GB card with better (but not more) RAM, more CUDA cores, and goosed numbers.

I'm still fine with my 3090 Kingpin, even though EVGA is :rip: with regards to graphics cards and the $60 10y extended warranty I fished for. "8K Gaming" is on no one's radar, and honestly I think the "next big thing" is 165-240Hz 4K displays. On my system, I'm fine with my UW 1440P@120Hz until the next-gen OLED Ultrawides come out, or the first 120-165Hz 5K2K display comes out, which a 3090 should still drive just fine for a while, and I honestly bought it because I wanted the 24GB frame buffer more than anything because that's where game designers are getting the most "indulgent" of late with regards to hardware requirements.

nVidia really did gently caress themselves and inadvertently give gamers a gift with the 30 series, because they're going to be the new 10 series for a good goddamned long time.

Question: is everything involved in DLSS 3.x backwards compatible with the 30 series and earlier? I haven't had a chance to read in-depth other than some potentially-misinformed comments about "for 40 series only."

Big rip DLSS 3.0 is indeed 4000 series only.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In case it wasn't clear, DLSS in games with DLSS 3 will work for non-4000 RTX cards, just not the "Optical Multi Frame Generation" part.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 4090 has over double the CUDA cores as the 4080 12GB and the same clock speed. Performance differences don't always line up 1:1 with fp32 differences, but there's going to be a pretty huge gap there. Especially with a 4090 running at 500W vs a 3080 12GB running at 300W or whatever AIB models end up being.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, this is pretty much a confirmation of a 4090Ti. Kind of lovely that the 4080 comes with faster GDDR6X than the flagship part simply because they want to soak people for $1999-2199 later:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Let's hope the next AMD release is good enough to compete on price/performance.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, this is pretty much a confirmation of a 4090Ti. Kind of lovely that the 4080 comes with faster GDDR6X than the flagship part simply because they want to soak people for $1999-2199 later:

You’re not really looking at the whole picture here. Higher bandwidth and bus width (in additional to the additional GBs) is going to be more impactful than 2 extra gbps on the base speed of the ram.

Just like how the clock speed on the lower end chips is higher.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
where do people buy stuff these days? I hear Newegg sucks now.

kid wants a USB 3.0 card if that matters.

just Amazon?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

where do people buy stuff these days? I hear Newegg sucks now.

kid wants a USB 3.0 card if that matters.

just Amazon?

It’s a big it depends.

USB 3.0 cards are simple enough and cheap enough to where I’d just buy that wherever.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
gracias. I've had good luck with Amazon so far but I don't do anything ambitious or involved

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Here's another really good comparsion on how utterly bullshit the 4000 card lineup is.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/xk2nsf/the_4080_12gb_and_4080_16gb_have_vastly_different/ipbt3d3/

I'd quote instead of making you click on a reddit link, but we don't handle tables well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So even though I've no intention of buying one, does the 4090 at least use 12x2GB GDDR6X or the nightmarish liability of 24x1GB like the 3090s?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So even though I've no intention of buying one, does the 4090 at least use 12x2GB GDDR6X or the nightmarish liability of 24x1GB like the 3090s?

No details on that yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It will use 12x2GB on the front of the PCB like the 3090 Ti.

edit: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-reveals-geforce-rtx-4090-founders-edition-pcb-design-with-ad102-gpu

This doesn't explicitly say it will be 12x2GB, but considering it uses nearly the same PCB as the 3090 Ti and that card had 12x2GB, I think this will too. This is a solved problem now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 21, 2022

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
I'm getting ready to go back to school online and it seems like a good occasion to build a new desktop. Coming from an Ivy Bridge machine running on a SATA SSD. I can transfer over the SSD, a network card, and my 970.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO AX Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY XLR8 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($76.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Thermaltake S100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Asus ROG Strix 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $470.93

Not planning on doing any gaming ATM but I'd like to leave the door open. Budget would be about $500. I also put together a 12100 part list that was about the same price. Is that a better idea?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

loopsheloop posted:

I'm getting ready to go back to school online and it seems like a good occasion to build a new desktop. Coming from an Ivy Bridge machine running on a SATA SSD. I can transfer over the SSD, a network card, and my 970.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B560M AORUS PRO AX Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY XLR8 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($76.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Thermaltake S100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($63.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Asus ROG Strix 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $470.93

Not planning on doing any gaming ATM but I'd like to leave the door open. Budget would be about $500. I also put together a 12100 part list that was about the same price. Is that a better idea?

If it's the same price, go with the 12100, it performs the same or better even in multi-core workloads, comes on a socket that will last at least one more generation, and supports PCIe 4.0 and 5.0 which is rarely but occasionally relevant.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There is someone on a discord I am on who is looking to buy a new gaming PC. They are physically disabled, and literally cannot build their own, prebuilts only. Budget around $1000-$1200. Firm.

Even though I've been in the hobby for 20+ years I've discovered I know absolutely nothing about prebuilts. While I can judge if a system is likely decent or not, and what tradeoffs are good or bad, I just don't know how to compare different manufacturers or even what brands I should be pointing them at. Is there some good resource I can digest for them? Any suggestions?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

My previous PC broke so i'm putting together a new one but reusing my previous SSDs and HDDs since they were all less than two years old. Want to use it for work, gaming and Ableton stuff basically.

For the case I want to go with the Fractal Design Define 7 Mini mATX, but PC Parts Picker doesn't have it for some reason so i've put in the Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case which I believe is basically equivalent form factor. Going for a board with built-in wifi so I can get rid of my lovely dollar-store USB wifi adapter. For video card I care about it being silent, and being able to play Elden Ring at decent-to-high settings. Budget is $1000 so I have 60 cents to spare!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($193.42 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($116.40 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB MECH 2X OC Video Card ($319.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($92.15 @ Newegg)
Total: $999.40

PC Part Picker is giving this warning, is it something I should worry about or ignore? Or is there any other fan you can recommend?

quote:

Note: The Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 22, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Chuu posted:

There is someone on a discord I am on who is looking to buy a new gaming PC. They are physically disabled, and literally cannot build their own, prebuilts only. Budget around $1000-$1200. Firm.

Even though I've been in the hobby for 20+ years I've discovered I know absolutely nothing about prebuilts. While I can judge if a system is likely decent or not, and what tradeoffs are good or bad, I just don't know how to compare different manufacturers or even what brands I should be pointing them at. Is there some good resource I can digest for them? Any suggestions?

buhhh gamers nexus did a fair amount of prebuilt reviews during the worst of the crisis but there's less pressure now. imo i'd go to somewhere like slickdeals, find some in your pricepoint and post them here and we can tell you the benefits/drawbacks. for that kind of price point i'd probably be targeting a 3060ti or 6600xt, somewhere around there, but you want one with a lot of ventilation.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Bisse posted:

PC Part Picker is giving this warning, is it something I should worry about or ignore? Or is there any other fan you can recommend?

i would imagine it has an AM4 bracket, they've been out for years now. the only thing i'd say is that this is for sure overkill for that chip, you could go considerably cheaper without losing much performance. or there's some very very competitive options like the scythe fuma 2 that compete with noctua on performance but aren't remotely as expensive.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
in terms of prebuilds ie i found this on there real quick:

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-ideac....100857953.html

this is, imo, a very decent price that runs up into some of the extremely common limitations of prebuilds, namely i would wager the ram in the system is a single stick of 16 gigs rather than 2x8 which severely hampers performance, the case presented is very poor thermally and as such will probably acoustically perform poorly and there are almost certainly issues with bloatware, trash software. but otherwise the price isn't terrible, so if your friend is willing to put up with it they could get an extremely capable 1080p machine for well under the rate you listed, and assuming they have access to costco their returns policy is famously pretty generous.

that's the kind of ballparks i would expect. the jump from a 3060 to 3060ti is pretty significant so if they're playing at 1440p or higher they should target a higher tier GPU.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My Western Digital 2TB Red drive is almost 8 years old and I'm starting to get a bit nervous about its longevity - simply due to its age, I haven't had any issues with it. Am I dancing on razor blades here or should I think about replacing it with a 2TB SSD? It's always purely been used for documents, music, videos etc.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

in terms of prebuilds ie i found this on there real quick:

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-ideac....100857953.html

this is, imo, a very decent price that runs up into some of the extremely common limitations of prebuilds, namely i would wager the ram in the system is a single stick of 16 gigs rather than 2x8 which severely hampers performance, the case presented is very poor thermally and as such will probably acoustically perform poorly and there are almost certainly issues with bloatware, trash software. but otherwise the price isn't terrible, so if your friend is willing to put up with it they could get an extremely capable 1080p machine for well under the rate you listed, and assuming they have access to costco their returns policy is famously pretty generous.

that's the kind of ballparks i would expect. the jump from a 3060 to 3060ti is pretty significant so if they're playing at 1440p or higher they should target a higher tier GPU.

No, do not buy a Lenovo prebuilt or any prebuilt from any super huge PC company.

They’re all universally terrible for tons of reasons. The price on that is good because Costco, but it’ll have so much proprietary junk it’ll be hard to salvage.

Here’s a quick and dirty build that’s just over budget but highly capable via neweggs PC building service.

Shared List https://newegg.io/a4785e64

Drop the GPU to a 3060 to get it in budget.

There are better options out there. Look at smaller PC builders (skytech, ABS) on Newegg or if he’s blessed with a microcenter tell him to go there.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah, a prebuild service makes sense. again, ballparking, this would be the kind of thing you'd find and here are the limitations. i didn't think proprietary parts are going to matter at all to someone who will never be able to upgrade it but i mean tbf maybe they'll take it in to be repaired or what have you i suppose so that's fair too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My Western Digital 2TB Red drive is almost 8 years old and I'm starting to get a bit nervous about its longevity - simply due to its age, I haven't had any issues with it. Am I dancing on razor blades here or should I think about replacing it with a 2TB SSD? It's always purely been used for documents, music, videos etc.

The Red line is designed with longevity in mind, so unless there are indicators of a failing drive, I’d let it be. Keep in mind too that SSDs lack some of these indicators, and it is considerably more difficult to predict one’s failure.

All that said, you should look into some sort of backup solution though if you don’t have one already.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

yeah, a prebuild service makes sense. again, ballparking, this would be the kind of thing you'd find and here are the limitations. i didn't think proprietary parts are going to matter at all to someone who will never be able to upgrade it but i mean tbf maybe they'll take it in to be repaired or what have you i suppose so that's fair too.

It’s more the repair side.

Or even the side of like “hey this prebuilts sucks balls for heats but I can’t get a cooler than fits this wonky rear end socket.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

nitsuga posted:

The Red line is designed with longevity in mind, so unless there are indicators of a failing drive, I’d let it be. Keep in mind too that SSDs lack some of these indicators, and it is considerably more difficult to predict one’s failure.

All that said, you should look into some sort of backup solution though if you don’t have one already.

Thanks, all my important stuff is in the cloud anyway so I'll just sit with this until doomsday.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

In the event you're near a Micro Center, their PowerSpec builds are their own brand and use mid-tier off-the-shelf components. They also have minimal bloatware.

Also, I hope people who buy 40-series don't have to connect/disconnect their GPU's power leads more than 30 times: https://www.techpowerup.com/299162/...sconnect-cycles

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 22, 2022

Angry Plums
May 2, 2009
Anyone have any advice on a budget upgrade to a 5 year old GTX1050ti? Used for 1080p / 60Hz gaming, not usually new or demanding stuff, it's generally served me really well, but it struggles with frame rates on a heavily modded Skyrim (like the Lost Legacy mod list) and it'd be nice to have it running smooth with the bells and whistles still on. I'd like to keep under £200 - well under if possible. Would a second hand 1660 Super be a worthwhile upgrade for around £150? Would I be better off waiting for UK RX6600 prices to drop?

The rest of the existing build:
Intel 11400f cpu
MSI B560-A motherboard
32GB ddr4 3200
Corsair 650w psu
NVME system drive, games on an SSD
Corsair Carbide 200r case

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Angry Plums posted:

Would I be better off waiting for UK RX6600 prices to drop?

This is what I was leaning towards suggesting tbh.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

No, do not buy a Lenovo prebuilt or any prebuilt from any super huge PC company.

They’re all universally terrible for tons of reasons. The price on that is good because Costco, but it’ll have so much proprietary junk it’ll be hard to salvage.

Here’s a quick and dirty build that’s just over budget but highly capable via neweggs PC building service.

Shared List https://newegg.io/a4785e64

Drop the GPU to a 3060 to get it in budget.

There are better options out there. Look at smaller PC builders (skytech, ABS) on Newegg or if he’s blessed with a microcenter tell him to go there.

Newegg has ended their build service, though. The option to have them build this PC isn't here. All ordering this will do is have them ship you a box full of these components.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Newegg has ended their build service, though. The option to have them build this PC isn't here. All ordering this will do is have them ship you a box full of these components.

I was not aware of this.

Very odd for them to still have this tool.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

MarcusSA posted:

This is what I was leaning towards suggesting tbh.

Yeah I concur - though a 1660 Super would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade, an RX 6600 would be a further boost over that and could probably be had at a similar price soon

Angry Plums
May 2, 2009
Cool, thanks both, I'll leave it alone for now and wait for the good deals :)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm considering upgrading my main case and handing it down to the secondary build I'm doing. For good airflow and decent space the thread favorite is the Meshify, isn't it? I need room for a fuckoff huge graphics card and like 5 SSDs hanging off a full ATX board.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm considering upgrading my main case and handing it down to the secondary build I'm doing. For good airflow and decent space the thread favorite is the Meshify, isn't it? I need room for a fuckoff huge graphics card and like 5 SSDs hanging off a full ATX board.

The Meshify series isn't really the clear best anymore. Corsair, Phanteks, and Lian Li are all very competitive with Fractal Design. I really like my Lian Li Lancool III, and GamersNexus rates it better than the Meshify cases for its cooling capabilities, but they're probably pretty close.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Meshify series isn't really the clear best anymore. Corsair, Phanteks, and Lian Li are all very competitive with Fractal Design. I really like my Lian Li Lancool III, and GamersNexus rates it better than the Meshify cases for its cooling capabilities, but they're probably pretty close.

Okay, I'll check those out. I like my current case, but the front airflow is starved without pulling off the front panel, which ain't ideal.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you're willing to go full-on monolith get a Full Tower, like the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. It's got space for fuckin days.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Arrath posted:

If you're willing to go full-on monolith get a Full Tower, like the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. It's got space for fuckin days.

Thanks, but I'd rather be able to mount a fan where the 5.25" bays are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Thanks, but I'd rather be able to mount a fan where the 5.25" bays are.

Then do I have the case for you

(enthoo pro 2. it's loving massive)

But for real, get something more sensible like a Meshify 2, Lancool III, Phanteks P500A, or Corsair 5000D