Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I turn the oven down between pizzas, it seems to get too hot if left maxed and things burn or catch fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

lifts cats over head posted:

I'm looking for some tips to adjust dough. This weekend I used this recipe in an Ooni pizza oven. Everyone agreed it was the best tasting dough I've made so far (only third attempt) but it had a very narrow window between delicious and burning or quite literally catching on fire.

I kept an eye on it and rotated but it still had a narrow window. Are there adjustments I can make to keep the flavor without the quick burning?

That dough recipe looks fine. It’s Neapolitan in an Ooni, so at the proper temp there’s going to be about a 4 second window between not quite done enough, and burned. That’s kinda just the nature of it.

You can keep the heat up to keep the deck hot, then turn down the flame a little right before you launch the pie. That will widen the window of doneness, but the crown may be a little denser or cracked because it won’t puff up as much before the outside sets.

Honestly, I’d just stick to the plan and watch it like a hawk.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you're only doing a few turns, turning more frequently but with smaller rotations per turn with a turning peel could be a bit more forgiving. This gives you a peak at whether you're burning or close to burning sooner and then you can adjust if so. And if you ever under bake a section, you can just go back to that section at some point before you finish. I do tend to turn the flame down a bit before I load just in case I slide it in too deep in which case at full blast it may burn before I can get a good grip with the peel.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

I'm looking for some tips to adjust dough. This weekend I used this recipe in an Ooni pizza oven. Everyone agreed it was the best tasting dough I've made so far (only third attempt) but it had a very narrow window between delicious and burning or quite literally catching on fire.

I kept an eye on it and rotated but it still had a narrow window. Are there adjustments I can make to keep the flavor without the quick burning?

This is an amateur pizza recipe you want things in %s.

I use Kenjis numbers slightly tweaked and I use high gluten flour I get from smart and final.

High gluten flour: 100%
Sugar: 2%
Salt: 2%
Instant yeast: 1.5 %
Olive oil: 5%
Water: 66%

This is all based on how much flour you use, so if you use 100gnof flour you need 2g sugar, 2g salt , etc.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ah lol I didn't see it was a cups recipe. gently caress that noise.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ogopogo posted:

No secrets here, friend! Right now I'm using a blend of Caputo 00, Caputo Tipo Uno, and Caputo Nuvola Super. For pan pizzas I think the ratio is roughly 40% 00, 40% nuvola, and 20% tipo uno. I'll probably be switching out the 00 for a King Arthur flour, or Central Milling if I can find it reliably in bulk. I still have some work to do in developing the method further, but we are 100% in work mode getting our brick and mortar space going (AKA my hair is on fire)

Huh. I didn't expect a cocktail of Caputos. I'm guessing you wanted a pizza-grade flour with a little more flavor in the dough c/o the tipo uno and nuvola super. I guess it works out with the day-long process. I use local hippy milled stuff for that but it would be too inconsistent for a business.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Doom Rooster posted:

That dough recipe looks fine. It’s Neapolitan in an Ooni, so at the proper temp there’s going to be about a 4 second window between not quite done enough, and burned. That’s kinda just the nature of it.

You can keep the heat up to keep the deck hot, then turn down the flame a little right before you launch the pie. That will widen the window of doneness, but the crown may be a little denser or cracked because it won’t puff up as much before the outside sets.

Honestly, I’d just stick to the plan and watch it like a hawk.

Thanks, how do you "turn down the flame" on the wood fired oven?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Thanks, how do you "turn down the flame" on the wood fired oven?

My bad, I assumed that your Ooni was gas. I loved my Ooni 2 pellet burner, but I constantly struggled to get it hot enough, and never came close to getting too hot.

I straight up had to tap and jiggle the oven to get enough pellets to feed in to fire hot enough, so if you’re having to do the same, just like, don’t for a bit before launching to let the over the top flame die down a bit.

If yours actually feeds enough for overheating to be a worry, I’m afraid I don’t have much advice for you. You could always just not fill the hopper very full, so that you are manually adding pellets to achieve the specific temp you are looking for.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
lifts cats over head, I never played with an Ooni but I've done a lot with wood-fired ovens. There's five things I can think of:

1. Keeping the dough further away from the fire. I am going to assume this could be a pain in the rear end because "further away" might mean "halfway out." Then the trick would be to let the whole thing sit in the oven for a short time so the dough actually cooks enough to form a skin. Then it won't stick to a peel that you would use to keep it turning.
2. Letting your dough cold ferment/rest/hydrate much longer in general, possibly with sourdough. I don't think this will help much. That's more like getting more complex browning than keeping the pizza from turning into a black frisbee.
3. Upping the hydration and embracing what will probably end up being a canotto (lifeboat) pizza crust when that sucker springs. I don't know what your hydration already is so you might have already cashed this out.
4. Don't use oil. You don't need it with that oven.
5. Switching to a flour that is more amenable to high temperature cooking. This has multiple avenues. First, check if your flour has any malted wheat or malted wheat flour in it. You don't want that at high temperatures. Second, you want to ensure your ash content is low--if you even have access to that to check; this tends to matter more if you're going into artisinal flours. Third, you can try to flour specific for high temperatures. The Caputo 00 blue bag (it is blue, not red) is particularly suited for 700+ degrees. This may be a pain in the rear end to get regularly, but there's less harm in trying it once and seeing. If that is turning into charcoal, then no flour change is going to make a difference.

I bet the Oonis require a continual burn, but it may be possible that you aren't fully "charging up" the oven initially and then letting less fuel just kind of maintain that. For my big-rear end wood-fired ovens that I've made and used, I'll throw a knotted-rear end piece of log in the back that serves as my "pilot light" through a bake. Then it gets loaded up like Bugs Bunny shoving dynamite in its mouth. It'll charge up around two hours. At that point, most of the wood has burnt down but there is still some raging along and licking up and around the top of the dome. It's a rather eerie, slow flame compared to what you might see when you start it. If you just don't have the room for that then you might have to rake out ash to make room, and that's just kind of risky due to fire risks.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

From my experience the oil warning here is the big one- I avoid using it even to wipe down the bowl I'm storing the dough in when making neapolitans, as it just burns/leaves an acrid taste at 700f.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

They're doing pizzas on the Great British Bake Off this week :toot:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh. I didn't expect a cocktail of Caputos. I'm guessing you wanted a pizza-grade flour with a little more flavor in the dough c/o the tipo uno and nuvola super. I guess it works out with the day-long process. I use local hippy milled stuff for that but it would be too inconsistent for a business.

It’s a little for flavor, but a lot is just for gluten development that we like in the various doughs. Each brings a little something to the table for texture and taste. We got gifted some new flours to play with, so looking forward to that!

Things are progressing..

Bathroom wall tile and floor is in

Looking out from the pizza prep area to the bar/dining area

Looking back at the oven

We’ve got a granite top pizza prep table on a truck en route right now, and a marble counter top being cut for the whole length of the main bar counter.

Buying a bunch of equipment now for the back line kitchen and other odds and ends.
Goodbye money!

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 27, 2022

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ogopogo posted:

Finally snagged a quick video of what I do when getting dough out of a tray.

And a Sicilian corner

drat.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

That bar/dining area looks like it doesn't have any room for dining?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I seasoned my Detroit pana tonight. In other news, I finally confirmed that my smoke detectors do indeed properly communicate to each other and scream their asses off.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

That bar/dining area looks like it doesn't have any room for dining?

We're not a full seated dining room style spot :) We've got a 12 stool bar in front of the oven, and then another 10 stool bar on the back wall. We've got a big slice window up front and set up for take-out/delivery. There's a 50 year old legacy bar around the corner from us that we'll be working with to drop off food for patrons there. Anxious to get going and slinging pizzas out of here soon!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I seasoned my Detroit pana tonight. In other news, I finally confirmed that my smoke detectors do indeed properly communicate to each other and scream their asses off.

A time honored method for checking your fire detectors.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It woke up my wife and she was about to knock the detectors out of the ceiling with a hammer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It woke up my wife and she was about to knock the detectors out of the ceiling with a hammer.

So you're saying she's encouraging you to make more? :dance:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I've recently bought an ooni koda 16 (pbuh), are there any special hints you can give me running it? Like, how far to turn up the heat setting, etc.

Thx

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm planning on making pizza while camping for the first time with an Ooni. Any tips for how to manage the dough timing when the temperature during transit/camping will possibly be colder than a normal fridge? My normal dough recipe I'll make 24-48 hours before I want to bake pizza. After an initial 2-3 hours at room temperature, the rest of that time is a cold ferment in the fridge. Should I try to include ice chest time (12V fridge actually) in my timing, or would it be better to do the full ferment at home and then maybe freeze the dough balls? I've never frozen dough balls before but I assume this might be the most reliable method as I can stop the fermentation at a predictable point via freezing.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
My wife brought back one of her creations from last year, the Oyster Mushrooms Rockefeller!

Oyster mushrooms, shallots, garlic, spinach, fontina, mozz, finished with lemon zest, micro arugula, sourdough breadcrumbs.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Power Khan posted:

I've recently bought an ooni koda 16 (pbuh), are there any special hints you can give me running it? Like, how far to turn up the heat setting, etc.

Thx

I usually heat mine for 45 minutes at full heat, then bring the heat down to 2/3 or so for the actual cooking. That lower cooking temp gives you a couple extra seconds to adjust things without burning, but the stone is nice and hot to get a crisp bottom.

And even at a lower temp you are done in 90-120 seconds.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm giving up on my ooni and putting it up for sale

i just cant get this thing to produce good pizzas and i'm tired of loving around with it. i'll stick to NY pizzas on my baking steel, cast iron and detroit pizzas which i have dialed in perfectly.

ogopogo posted:

My wife brought back one of her creations from last year, the Oyster Mushrooms Rockefeller!

Oyster mushrooms, shallots, garlic, spinach, fontina, mozz, finished with lemon zest, micro arugula, sourdough breadcrumbs.

this is amazing

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Gave a shot at 'too much pepperoni'

As fun as it looks I'm going to be controversial and say it works better with half that. It just becomes a greasy mess.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like to put a layer of peoperoni between two paper towels and microwave for ten seconds. Helps to get a lot do the grease out. If you do it too much the pepperoni will dry out and burn but doing it just a little keeps your pizza from being flooded with grease.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
That's a good solution. This one definitely needed it. I'm not against the little bit of oil you get trapped in the cups bit when the pizza is swimming in it it's way too much.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ogopogo posted:

That's the one I want. That and a plain Margherita one.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Ishamael posted:

I usually heat mine for 45 minutes at full heat, then bring the heat down to 2/3 or so for the actual cooking. That lower cooking temp gives you a couple extra seconds to adjust things without burning, but the stone is nice and hot to get a crisp bottom.

And even at a lower temp you are done in 90-120 seconds.

Thx, I'll try that.

Btw, I saw that my favourite neapolitan pizza place adds the garlic after the pizza is out of the oven. Is it generally raw or slighty sweated in olive oil? I think there's a very slight balsamico like taste to it, so I'm not sure if it's not something more of a complex mix here.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

BraveUlysses posted:

i'm giving up on my ooni and putting it up for sale
If you're just simply done with it, that's one thing, but otherwise, pics and video would go a long way to seeing how it's going wrong.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

I hopped on the Ooni train too a couple months ago, took a few tries to get everything dialed in and it's still not perfect, but I've been able to get some solid pies pretty consistently.

My first good one, a classic margherita.

Cheddar, pepperoni and candied jalapeños. The cheddar created an odd crystalized texture, but in a way that I kind of liked?

Mortadella and pistachio. This one was real good, my favorite so far.

The main thing I'm trying to improve now is the crust texture. It's slightly on the doughy side, and the outside isn't as crispy as I'd like it to be. I was burning most of my earlier pizzas so I started turning the heat down to minimum right after launching, but I'm thinking maybe I need to keep it a bit higher and just get the pizza rotating faster.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I set off the smoke alarm so frequently that I get the stepladder in position before every bake.

also someone needs to think of a thread title that replaces stone with steel :colbert:

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 30, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you're just simply done with it, that's one thing, but otherwise, pics and video would go a long way to seeing how it's going wrong.

yeah i'm going to stick with the other three methods that i can do well and enjoy. i'm over trying to figure this out.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My first round of parbaked Detroit pizzas were pretty meh. like, cafeteria pizza. I can live with it but I have some standards. One problem I had was the whole wheat bread flour mix I got turned out to be ... very brown. I only did 20% with it but was very brown. It made it hard for me to tell doneness. I should have just run a probe through it. I used that flour at 50% for a bread and go something that was getting into a rye.

When I used some cubes of brick cheese on them, the cheese kind of ran down and under the pizza instead of creating a side crust. I think I would use shredded. Also, I am still getting use to the kitchen oven here, and I'm thinking 450F is not enough. It probably shocks the oven. Maybe I should put a steel in there on another rack just to add some mass.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e5gTx1fVU4

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Keep that in the bad pizza thread

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It's been a while since that one came up. And here I am, still trying to find the video of two guys making bread in a pizza oven that were absolutely blaise about everything. I wanted to troll the bread thread with it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Love working with guys like that, an unearned laidback swagger as they strut their way to a C- product.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

slave to my cravings posted:

Keep that in the bad pizza thread

It's pizza art

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My first round of parbaked Detroit pizzas were pretty meh. like, cafeteria pizza. I can live with it but I have some standards. One problem I had was the whole wheat bread flour mix I got turned out to be ... very brown. I only did 20% with it but was very brown. It made it hard for me to tell doneness. I should have just run a probe through it. I used that flour at 50% for a bread and go something that was getting into a rye.

When I used some cubes of brick cheese on them, the cheese kind of ran down and under the pizza instead of creating a side crust. I think I would use shredded. Also, I am still getting use to the kitchen oven here, and I'm thinking 450F is not enough. It probably shocks the oven. Maybe I should put a steel in there on another rack just to add some mass.

when i use cubes to line up the detroit pie i have to cut them very thin, otherwise they won't melt and caramelize all the way through, i won't actually get a proper cheese crust, and whatever's on the edges will collapse over as soon as i get it out of the pan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Had some cream that needed using so I made cheated straciatella.

Prosciutto cotto, straciatella and pistachio pesto:

This was really nice as a white pizza but holy crap it's rich.