Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

thank you for posting this so i didnt have to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

normalize calling them crooters

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ellies_favorite_no.jpg

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i would like people to give up on having cute little brain teaser interview questions that are like “what would u do if a giant orb appeared above New York City and you were tasked with analyzing it with all the earths resources at your disposal”

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've already analyzed the orb and it's either made of the flesh of every human on earth or all the ants on earth if sagebrush has finished his quest

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
those questions were finished a decade ago in the sfba, mostly, for deec companies. dunno where you're at

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

ellies_favorite_no.jpg

miss her :smith:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

just gave my notice, boss is on holiday for a few days. really going to be putting the "home" into WFH

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
the whole american 0-2 weeks notice is wild to me. over here it’s _at least_ a month, but usually 2-3 months (unless you hosed up and they want to get rid of you, then it’s a 3 month garden leave).

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Kernel Sanders posted:

the whole american 0-2 weeks notice is wild to me. over here it’s _at least_ a month, but usually 2-3 months (unless you hosed up and they want to get rid of you, then it’s a 3 month garden leave).

That's at-will employment for you. The 2 weeks notice is a courtesy so you don't leave on a bad note. If by "here" you mean Europe, then yeah it's because we have actual employment contracts.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Kernel Sanders posted:

and on top of that most americans start their new jobs the day after their 0-2 weeks notice is expired with not even the tiniest gap because taking a bit of time to chillax is either financially ruinous (health insurance, living paycheck to paycheck) or just plain old unamerican and lazy

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kernel Sanders posted:

I'm in Europe, negotiated notice down to 1 month then am taking another month of funemployment

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Worth noting UK has at-will employment for the first 2 years of your contract, unless your contract stipulates otherwise (and it has to be very specific wording at that).

But then I guess that's not really Europe these days.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My previous boss at my current job wanted me to start before New Year's and I was like "Is this a trick?" because that would have been only one week's notice at my previous job.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Worth noting UK has at-will employment for the first 2 years of your contract, unless your contract stipulates otherwise (and it has to be very specific wording at that).

But then I guess that's not really Europe these days.

weirdly I found in France that your actual employment contract doesn't normally directly state the notice period, instead it refers to the relevant collective bargaining agreement.

For developers that's from SYNTEC, and it's three months(!) by default. For some reason that I don't fully understand the rules for holidays (25 days + bank holidays + RTT + bonus ones from tenure) also come via that agreement, rather than directly from employment law.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

CPColin posted:

My previous boss at my current job wanted me to start before New Year's and I was like "Is this a trick?" because that would have been only one week's notice at my previous job.

filling your position before year end was probably a goal that their performance review depended on

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

distortion park posted:

weirdly I found in France that your actual employment contract doesn't normally directly state the notice period, instead it refers to the relevant collective bargaining agreement.

For developers that's from SYNTEC, and it's three months(!) by default. For some reason that I don't fully understand the rules for holidays (25 days + bank holidays + RTT + bonus ones from tenure) also come via that agreement, rather than directly from employment law.

same for Denmark. lots of places just say “refer to this part of employment law for this kind of employment”

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

distortion park posted:

In the UK it's much more rare to have extra protections in the first two years, it basically has to be along the lines of "if this contract is terminated except through gross negligence by b or XYZ, a will compensate b with ZYX" which can then be enforced as a breach of contract. It's common only for like airplane pilots and such.

But the standard disciplinary procedures clauses at al. don't have to be followed by the company at all in the first two years, you can be sacked on the spot for having a crooked smile or whatever until you hit that milestone.

e: After that you IIRC get 2 weeks per year until 8 weeks total.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 21, 2022

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

those questions were finished a decade ago in the sfba, mostly, for deec companies. dunno where you're at

this person and the company are sfba lol, I am pnw however

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its sufficient cause to just walk away. you got some more on deck right

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

buddy I wish, a year and some change ago it was easy to get the actual interview process going but this time around I’m lucky to hear anything at all

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

a cyberpunk goose posted:

i would like people to give up on having cute little brain teaser interview questions that are like “what would u do if a giant orb appeared above New York City and you were tasked with analyzing it with all the earths resources at your disposal”

if all of earths resources are now at my disposal, all hail the mothafuckin orb

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

post hole digger posted:

if all of earths resources are now at my disposal, all hail the mothafuckin orb

in all my time asking this question ur the first to get it right

welcome aboard, friend of orb

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I would rather answer weird brain teasers with elusive evasive answers than reverse more strings.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

distortion park posted:

the reason to do it that way is at least clear: makes it a question of collective bargaining rather than national politics, which makes it much more possible to change.

the law could state a minimum i guess, but in most places organized labor dislikes that encroachment on their turf.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If it's like the US where the minimum the law demands is pitifully insufficient on its own, then it anchors any discussion around that pitifully insufficient minimum instead of it naturally being anchored around how much the labour is worth

while if the minimum the law demands actually is sufficient then you're interfering in the ability of unions to bargain away parts of that for bigger gains in areas that matter to them more

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the reason to do it that way is at least clear: makes it a question of collective bargaining rather than national politics, which makes it much more possible to change.

the law could state a minimum i guess, but in most places organized labor dislikes that encroachment on their turf.

i checked and the national law *also* states that you get 25 days holiday (normal type, you get a bunch of others too) (it says 30 but that includes saturday as a working day, it's actually 25). Since you can also have company wide collective bargining agreements and individual contracts the way they all interact could be complex - one source I found says that in general the one most favourable to the employee applies, so the national law and industry wide agreements set a sort of minimum, without capping additional benefits (there is some allowance for bargining down though - I believe I'm covered under one element of this, instead of the 35 hour working week applying, I have a slightly higher theoretical cap although it isn't tracked. Instead I automatically get additional days off called RTT, about 10 a year).

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 22, 2022

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I got a “count the windows in a city” for an entry level position. Less stupid and Avengers. Focused on deciding what counted as a window. Got the job so w/e.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

distortion park posted:

RTT, about 10 a year.

i need to check my days totals, we get only 6 per year and i also do some on-call stuff occasionally

i also got told by the hr that only reimburse public transport and rental bikes, and i know for a fact some paris companies give an allowance if you commute using a personal bike

on the other hand we just decided not to self own ourselves thanks to several positive technical decisions, which is a good thing and makes me cautiously optimistic

also, recently i notice how i have become a technical knowhow person in many different parts of our thing, which makes me thing that maybe what i am doing day to day is looking more and more like the indeed.com description of what is a staff engineer

which means that i need to gently nudge nudge my superiors towards this realization and also the fact that i should get a cool raise

e: of course i havent a clue whether there is a thing called staff engineer in computer touching

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

4lokos basilisk posted:

which means that i need to gently nudge nudge my superiors towards this realization and also the fact that i should get a cool raise

two nudges max. personal experience.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

nudgenudgetilt posted:

two nudges max. personal experience.

did they take away your bonus or something?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jabor posted:

did they take away your bonus or something?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I'm gonna guess "put on PIP" myself

probably my instinctive thoughts about management being jerks (even though my management is pretty great right now)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

so mad about it they made it their username

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
what do people expect to get back when they send a "omg ty so much for interviewing me i luv u" email after an interview?

i never send them because i don't understand the point of them, but now i'm interviewing people and they're sending me these and i feel like i should reply to be polite but i don't know what they want from me. They don't ask me any questions or anything so i've got nothing to go on. i feel like i need a template just like i had for recruiters when i was jobhunting that is just like "here is a generic message so you know i am continuing to interact with you, i'll let you know if i need more from you but otherwise have a good time without me byee!!!"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
a big part of the interview process is sending out signals that you understand and can comply with all the unspoken rules of professional office behavior

sending a thank-you note afterwards is one of those little things that you are supposed to do as part of an interview (just like arriving 10 minutes early, having printouts of your resume with you, dressing appropriately, not criticizing your previous employers, having some stories to tell about times you took the initiative to solve a problem or turned a personal weakness into a strength, demonstrating that you spent a few minutes reading the company's website and have some questions about their products, and so on)

nobody actually believes that you were 'really excited to meet the team!' but sending an email to that effect once you get home from an interview shows that you are the sort of person who understands the expectations of corporate culture, and may increase you chance of converting that job interview into an offer

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

alternately, you can be the type of person that has a meltdown about being asked to look over some company values before the interview

which type of person you are is up to you! both are represented itt

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

FMguru posted:

a big part of the interview process is sending out signals that you understand and can comply with all the unspoken rules of professional office behavior

sending a thank-you note afterwards is one of those little things that you are supposed to do as part of an interview (just like arriving 10 minutes early, having printouts of your resume with you, dressing appropriately, not criticizing your previous employers, having some stories to tell about times you took the initiative to solve a problem or turned a personal weakness into a strength, demonstrating that you spent a few minutes reading the company's website and have some questions about their products, and so on)

nobody actually believes that you were 'really excited to meet the team!' but sending an email to that effect once you get home from an interview shows that you are the sort of person who understands the expectations of corporate culture, and may increase you chance of converting that job interview into an offer

but like, what do potential hires want back from this email? Can i just ignore it since they care just as little as I do?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

but like, what do potential hires want back from this email? Can i just ignore it since they care just as little as I do?

yes, you can ignore it. you can also say "it was nice meeting you" or whatever if you want

nobody is going to yell at you here - do what you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i usually dont send those little follow-up emails after being interviewed (i probably should) but when i do i dont expect to get anything back. its just a thank-you note for taking the time to invite me to your office to discuss a job opening. seems analogous to sending a thank-you note to someone who hosted a dinner party that you attended, or who gave you a birthday gift