Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jonny 290 posted:

I know some old hams with shaky hands that can do small PCBs and circuits by clamping the iron and then manipulating the work, might be worth a shot

This feels like half a dozen of one, six of the other. That said, thanks for the suggestion, it's worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cowboy beepboop posted:

👀perfect vision crew👀 checking in while it lasts lol

I’m approaching 40 and just got my first prescription. As soon as I started trying on glasses mrs tk was like “oh you look good in glasses” and she’s right so not the end of the world.

Oh and I can get insurance sunglasses now.

Edit: Being able to see better is nice I guess.

tk fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 21, 2022

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
if you have to get glasses get prescription sunglasses at the same time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and if you do any sort of workshoppy type things OR ride a motorcycle get prescription goggles. Pro poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eyeballs are like cameras in that bright light requires pupil constriction which is like having a small aperture which means more stuff is in focus but lack
of light requires dilation which means worse focus

I only need glasses at night, like driving or watching a movie. during the day I can survive

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
also if you dive keep your prescription so you can get prescription scuba masks, they rule

in fact one of the main things pushing my wife over the edge to get robot eyes was that we could no longer find a prescription scuba mask that would work for her and she didn't want to dive with three masks she was constantly switching out so that she could see stuff

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
mrs is a good enough diver that shes a certified instructor actually, she just got lasik

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

graph posted:

if you have to get glasses get prescription sunglasses at the same time

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I got sunglasses that fit over my normal glasses

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
my prescription hasn't changed much over the past half dozen years so thanks to insurance i have 3 pairs of eyeglasses (work, home when kid is awake, home when kid is asleep) and 3 pairs of prescription sunglasses (driving, walking to/from work and around at lunch, beach/lawn mowing/misc)

gently caress clipons or transition lenses imo

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Kenny Logins posted:

gently caress clipons or transition lenses imo
what about driftwood chains though?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got transitions once when i was a kid cause i thought they were "cool"

a year later i had permanently piss yellow glasses that sucked bad. i think constant fluorescent lighting from school burned out the magic or something. anyways i dislike them. i do like tinted glasses though and will probably get a pair or two as a side piece

mystes
May 31, 2006

Photochromic lenses are actually really nice if you're outdoors in variable lighting conditions, to the point where they're kind of more convenient than not wearing glasses because you don't even have to think about sunglasses. Just buy them from zenni and replace them in a year or two if they wear out; it's still much cheaper than buying any glasses from glasses stores

This isn't 30 years ago when you would pay $500 dollars for glasses and have to make them last for years because they were so expensive

If you are always either inside or driving don't get them though

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 21, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah glasses are cheap now. my current glasses were one of those "they're $500" things bc i was dumb and theyre nine years old and im tired of them. im gonna go in for a prescription and buy 1-2 pairs from the eye doc and then load tf up at zenni with like 2-4 sets of fashion and utility glasses (the aforementioned safety goggles etc)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

transitions lenses are extremely goony

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I had them once and hated them

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
they’ll put prescription lenses in actual rayban wayfarers for like $250-300 all in. why would you ever get transitions lenses, it would just bring shame to your household.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the main reason that photochromic lenses sometimes look like poo poo is just that people buy glasses that don't also look good as sunglasses. If you're trying to buy sunglasses off of zeni you're going to have that problem anyway. (Consider just buying them as normal sunglasses first since it's cheaper and it's good to have normal sunglasses anyway)

This is much less of a problem with thicker plastic frames that most people are wearing now than it was with whatever godawful glasses people were wearing 20 years ago like frameless poo poo though.

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 21, 2022

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i thought the issue with transition lenses is that the light->dark->light photoreactive mechanism wears out pretty quicky, leaving the glasses more or less permanently trapped in an murky half-dark intermediate state after just a few months

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

i thought the issue with transition lenses is that the light->dark->light photoreactive mechanism wears out pretty quicky, leaving the glasses more or less permanently trapped in an murky half-dark intermediate state after just a few months
Maybe they used to be worse. In my experience (and this is just with cheap non name brand photochromic lenses) it's more like after a year or two, if you compare them with normal glasses, there will be a barely perceptible yellow tint that nobody will be able to see when you're wearing them.

I assume it gets worse eventually after that but I tend to beat the poo poo out of my glasses so I generally replace them after every year or two.

That said, depending on the light you do also end up with lighter tints which I guess is kind of dorky looking if you wouldn't wear glasses with lighter tints otherwise, but on the other hand it's also kind of an advantage in certain lighting conditions.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
my current glasses are 15 years old and my prescrip hasnt changed

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

every person i know who ever had transition lenses regrets it.

they never go fully clear, never get quite dark enough, and by the time they're 2+ years old they are piss yellow and barely change any more.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i gotta echo the zenni transitions option. you only get about a year of use out of them, but they're like 50 bucks if you splurge on options.

mystes
May 31, 2006

To be clear, I had transition lenses from LensCrafters or wherever 20 years ago and I absolutely regretted it at the time too. They completely sucked when you were buying one pair of expensive glasses (plus a ton extra for the transition lenses) that would be the only pair you owned for like 5 years which is longer than they actually last and you would be wearing them in place of any other sunglasses. Of course you would have buyer's remorse.

It's just totally different when you're buying them online for cheap and you have a multiple pairs of glasses including normal prescription sunglasses. Honestly the whole way you approach glasses is different when you can get them for cheap online and reorder them whenever you want.

Edit: I also need to try to 3d print an adapter so I can use the lens insert from zenni goggles in ski goggles this winter

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 21, 2022

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have like 10 pairs of glasses cos i periodically order them on the internet for about $NZD50 each. Currently my fave pair are pedo aviator spectacles

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i got my glasses in romania a few years ago, probably due for a new prescription

e: hey gentle where do you get them

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gentle Autist posted:

Currently my fave pair are pedo aviator spectacles

Progressive JPEG posted:

The dark web

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

i got my glasses in romania a few years ago, probably due for a new prescription

https://www.clearly.co.nz/eyewear

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

transitions lenses are extremely goony

*quickly tucks driftwood chain into shirt*

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i like my clip-ons for my glasses, their main problem is i always lose them in some coat pocket or another

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

get the kind you can flip up and leave them always attached

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prescription mirrored aviators were life changing

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

because you get to go "theyre prescription" when people tell you you look like a prick?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hbag posted:

because you get to go "theyre prescription" when people tell you you look like a prick?

why are u even in this thread

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im not sure. ive just never really seen mirrored aviators work on anyone
i could be wrong though

i dont know why i wrote it like that, that was mean

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

fart simpson posted:

why are u even in this thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

do not post in this thread again, hbag

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

hbag posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

old age and treachery will always defeat youth and exuberance

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also gently caress you aviators own lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

struck down by the hubris of youth