Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm going to saw my DRC in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kashuno posted:

The best part of unfinity so far is seeing folks on Twitter absolutely losing their mind over attractions being legacy legal like it’s gonna be a big deal.

i wonder if anyone ever actually brought a stack of dungeon tokens to bluff their opponents like people insisted would have to happen for a strategic edge

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

flatluigi posted:

i wonder if anyone ever actually brought a stack of dungeon tokens to bluff their opponents like people insisted would have to happen for a strategic edge

In my experience the only people who do corny poo poo like this don’t actually play in tournaments.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

In my experience the only people who do corny poo poo like this don’t actually play in tournaments.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

flatluigi posted:

I mean... Pauper did just ban half the Initiative cards.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

wanna see the wallet of the person who could afford 2222 legacy mtg cards

Toshimo posted:

I mean... Pauper did just ban half the Initiative cards.

playing the cards because they're actually good is different than trying to force them in decks to prove a point

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

flatluigi posted:

wanna see the wallet of the person who could afford 2222 legacy mtg cards

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

flatluigi posted:

It's incredible watching people squawk that to ~~maintain optimality~~ they have to pack a deck box full of stickers, attractions, dungeons, wolf tokens etc.

Buddy you're not fooling anyone.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lone Goat posted:

It's incredible watching people squawk that to ~~maintain optimality~~ they have to pack a deck box full of stickers, attractions, dungeons, wolf tokens etc.

earlier i saw someone include 'reveal a companion' on that list and it's like. sure dude, bluff with a companion and get yourself a game loss, i'm happy to see it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

This card is... maybe around Standard power level? Given that the mechanic only does anything a third of the time it seems unlikely anything will get there in Legacy.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

that guy owns and fun fact: the deck was called "mischen: impossible" because mischen is german for mixing or shuffling

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

that guy owns and fun fact: the deck was called "mischen: impossible" because mischen is german for mixing or shuffling

Lol awesome

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
brilliant, love it, you're a genius :discourse:

ilmucche posted:

yeah that's what I mean
do you mean you want to be able to use TCSA in a legal deck in place of barren glory? If so, I wholeheartedly support this

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Captain Invictus posted:

do you mean you want to be able to use TCSA in a legal deck in place of barren glory? If so, I wholeheartedly support this

Yeah, they're the same dang card!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lone Goat posted:

I have spent more time fussing over which goblin tokens to bring to a tournament then about what should be in my sideboard

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Yeah, they're the same dang card!

Alter the Art

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

GoutPatrol posted:

I have spent more time fussing over which goblin tokens to bring to a tournament then about what should be in my sideboard

I used to use bad legendary creatures from Legends as the divider between my deck and sideboard. I once got deck-checked playing U Tron at a big Modern event and the judge said "This Jasmine Boreal is technically a Modern-legal card so it shouldn't be in your deckbox but we'll let it slide."

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lone Goat posted:

I do that for our kitchen table games

Monarch and Initiative reminder cards
4 Initiative Dungeons
Day/Night reminder card

and for me a full Lesson Deck and 3 normal Dungeons

I will be boycotting this set because of stickers and attractions :)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Meet and Greet "Sisay" would be a ridiculously consistent Un-Legacy deck. Turn one Mass Hysteria, turn two Sisay, and there are 6 zero-mana spells with five or more lines of flavourtext. You can even cast Summoner's Pact to find her. Good thing she's got the acorn.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I do that for our kitchen table games

Monarch and Initiative reminder cards
4 Initiative Dungeons
Day/Night reminder card

and for me a full Lesson Deck and 3 normal Dungeons

I will be boycotting this set because of stickers and attractions :)

It really sucked having to spend $200 on Eldrazi just in case I Mind Control an opponent's Spawnsire of Ulamog.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i think the guy mind controlling stuff should be accepting that maybe the cards they are stealing are not as good as they could be. darn, ive stolen this magda but i dont run any dragons or powerful artifacts to search up is just a thing you accept. throwing a fit about it and/or trying to game it for the optimal winrate is Redditor Impulse and you should slay that aspect of yourself expeditiously.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

Please tell me there is a video of him actually shuffeling that deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sooooo, this stops working the moment one of the creatures leaves the field too. Could be super funny to play if there were really any common creatures with continuous effects worth stealing.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

....holy poo poo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AlternateNu posted:

Sooooo, this stops working the moment one of the creatures leaves the field too.
It does?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Here's some speculation from reddit going the other way

quote:

There is already a rule that addresses how to exchange the power or toughness of two creatures.

701.10g. A spell or ability may instruct a player to exchange two numerical values. In such an exchange, each value becomes equal to the previous value of the other. If either of those values is a life total, the affected player gains or loses the amount of life necessary to equal the other value. Replacement effects may modify this gain or loss, and triggered abilities may trigger on it. A player who can't gain life can't be given a higher life total this way, and a player who can't lose life can't be given a lower life total this way (see rules 119.7-8). If either of those values is a power or toughness, a continuous effect is created setting that power or toughness to the other value (see rule 613.4b). This rule does not apply to spells and abilities that switch a creature's power and toughness.

Text and power/toughness are both game elements that can be modified through continuous effects addressed by the layer system. Therefore, it is safe to assume the analogous situation would be true for exchanging text boxes. So if creature A and creature B swap text boxes, then creature B leaves the battlefield, the text-changing effect on creature A will still be active.

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/xjm4ve/unf_exchange_of_words/

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

If the effect doesn't go away when one of the creatures dies, this plays really well with Death's Shadow.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cactrot posted:

If the effect doesn't go away when one of the creatures dies, this plays really well with Death's Shadow.

And will probably kill the same host of creatures Dress Down does.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There's no reason why the swap would cease to be for any reason other than the one stated on the card itself. What is this, overthinking: the set?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
For those interested, Phil and Kaja Foglio are doing a playmat/print kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/originalmagicart/foglio-portfoglio-2

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Now I really want to try winning a game with Exchange of Words, Phage and a flicker effect.

Edit: wait no, that wouldn't work at all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Now I really want to try winning a game with Exchange of Words, Phage and a flicker effect.

The post-flicker not-phage will be a different object and have it's original not-phage text. Phage's text will be lost.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

The thing that I'm wondering is how this interacts with creatures whose rules text mention the name of the creature.

If I swap the text boxes of a Duathi Cutthroat and Phage the Untouchable, then swing in with Phage and hit my opponent, do they still lose the game?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Officially, whenever a card names itself it actually means "this card".

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cactrot posted:

This would be so cool to play around with in modern :(

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Aphrodite posted:

Officially, whenever a card names itself it actually means "this card".

If a card is specifically naming a card, it'll say "a card named" whatever, like Alpine Huntmaster's dogs. This is the case if the named card is the same card name, like Elvish Clancaller.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gilded Drake at home is gonna piss a lot of casual players off lol.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

Please tell me there is a video of him actually shuffeling that deck.

If i remember right that picture was taken at one of the first tournaments, so unfortunately it would have probably been unrecorded

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Rolling up the modern tournament with my Commander box. "Yeah, my deck is scary. I need tokens. Lots of tokens. You don't know how many different tokens this deck can generate."

Lose 0-3, go to home depot, buy even larger box...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

mandatory lesbian posted:

If i remember right that picture was taken at one of the first tournaments, so unfortunately it would have probably been unrecorded

Apparently they brought a frame so it could stand up while playing