Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
All the best intelligence agencies operate backwards from their assumptions - thats how you get the straight "dope"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

Muckrock.com has extensive info.

Thanks, this is a cool website. They have tutorials too. I am still weighing on if a real lawyer could help me word things in a way that's more likely to get accepted.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Euphronius has spent too much time in c-spam.

Ahh thanks. I saw they make up 60+ pages of this thread and just took them seriously. Not familiar with the community here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You take the cia seriously but not me. Interesting

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Waiting to consult with a lawyer on whether you should?

I feel like anything else would be deeply irresponsible.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

honda whisperer posted:

Have you ever lived in the same house or apartment with this person? If so how long?

If not go move into their place right now, or them to yours. Just for the love of God try roommates first if you haven't.

Maybe they slurp soup. Just every loving spoonful sllluuuurrrrrrppppp sluuuurrrp clink ssllllluuuuuuuuurrrpp.

As someone who is planning to do the same thing (buy a house with some friends), you should really, really do this. I lived with the people I want to buy with for five years.

I wouldn't go in on buying a primary residence with someone I hadn't lived with for AT LEAST a year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For non married people going in on a house, the best thing may be a trust with a neutral trustee and tenancy guaranteed to the beneficiaries . But then idk how you are getting a mortgage in this situation

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
One person becomes the landlord and rents to the other inhabitants?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

More then tenants in a rental agreement as they are beneficiaries of the trust so are quasi landlords in that sense.
Idk it’s not a normal arrangement at all

The big issue is whenever someone wants out of the set up what do you do. It’s not easy to divide interests in a SFH. With divorce the solution to to buy out the ex spouse or sell the House and equitably distribute the proceeds. This system has a whole statutory scheme tho that is absent in the canine blues scenario

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 21, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pennsylvania does have rules on partition https://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Display/pacode?file=/secure/pacode/data/231/chapter1500/subchapBtoc.html&d=reduce

As you can see it’s a big mess

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Oh I've got it, they all start a corporation with equal ownership then let the corporation buy the house.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To be honest this is a pretty good rule . The only downside is the litigation expense which would be …. Over 10,000$ at least . (Total among the parties )

Rule 1563. Property Not Capable of Division Without Prejudice. Sale. Objections.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in Subdivision (b), property not capable of division without prejudice to or spoiling the whole shall be offered for private sale confined to the parties.

(b) Parties defendant owning a majority in value of the property may object in writing to any sale, requesting that the property be awarded to them at its valuation fixed by the court and that their interests in the same remain undivided. Upon such request the entire property shall be awarded to the parties objecting to sale, as tenants in common, subject to payment to the parties desiring partition and sale of the amounts of their respective interests based upon the valuation. The amounts due the parties shall be charged as liens upon the property, to be paid in such manner and time as the court shall direct.

This still ends up tho in the situation where if the people who want to stay in the house don’t have the cash to buy out the people who want to Leave, there has to be a sheriffs sale

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 21, 2022

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When I was looking into getting a vacation house with friends, the thought was to set up the structure like a co-op (we're from NYC so it wasn't a new concept). The thing was that the area was so cheap, each share would only have been like $10-15k, so it would be no problem to buy someone out if they wanted out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Heran Bago posted:

Thanks, this is a cool website. They have tutorials too. I am still weighing on if a real lawyer could help me word things in a way that's more likely to get accepted.

Ahh thanks. I saw they make up 60+ pages of this thread and just took them seriously. Not familiar with the community here.

Euph is a good lawyer and a great resource on PA law. His opinions on the US government and CIA are a different story. He's also an eagles fan, but we try to not hold that against him.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

We're going to have to fight if you decide to sully the flyers.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's also an eagles fan, but we try to not hold that against him.

Sometimes people confuse him for a confederate because of how into the lost cause he is.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

euphronius posted:

The CIA killed JFK. What have you done?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
lmao

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Muir posted:

A lawyer cannot ethically represent both of you in this transaction, you are adverse parties. You should each have your own lawyer to evaluate this.

If everyone is an equal partner and subject to the same terms/conditions, why is it viewed as people being adverse?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ham Equity posted:

If everyone is an equal partner and subject to the same terms/conditions, why is it viewed as people being adverse?

When two people are negotiating for a percentage of the same pot, one lawyer can't represent both of them, because any advantage secured for one necessarily comes to the expense of the other.

Lawyer would owe an equal duty to both clients, and could not practically serve both interests at the same time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nothing is more terrifying than two engineers who think they have found a mathematically satisfying solution to a complex life issue

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
In theory, they can hire a lawyer to create an entity or a limited partnership to hold the assets, and the lawyer could represent that entity, but The parties would have to come to the table with the details and the rights and responsibilities of the partnership already hashed out, and simply instruct the lawyer to generate them.

In order to get advice on" the best thing to do ", each person coming to the transaction will have to have their own independent counsel.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Nothing is more terrifying than two engineers who think they have found a mathematically satisfying solution to a complex life issue

Two lawyers who think they found a healthy, long-term relationship with each other?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Two lawyers who think they found a healthy, long-term relationship with each other?

One lawyer who thinks they're happy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ham Equity posted:

As anyone who's tried to play Magic The Gathering knows, symmetrical conditions can still be extremely powerful for one side.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

If it pleases the court (and I think it will), I submit to evidence: "Literally any marriage".

Two engineers who think they can work it out and are trying to make sure there are equitable terms for ownership and separation Vs 'BUT WE ARE IN LOOOOOOVE!'

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 22, 2022

Politely Afraid!
Jan 13, 2008

sorry!
Hey, friendlies ... I'm having problems with filing for disability in Massachusetts and I need legal help. My first application was denied, and I waited over a year for my appeal to be reconsidered. I just got my notice of denial for the appeal short while ago, so I'm not feeling very good. :(

More background: I left my job of 15 years in February 2021 due to my social anxiety becoming increasing hell on my quality of life and making it impossible for me to focus on getting better. I started weekly therapy and filed for disability to get me through the time I needed to get my life together and learn how to be in, and crucially work in society without being scared all the time.

In late July or early August 2021, my application was denied. I was bummed but not surprised since something like 9 out of 10 applications for disability get denied the first time. So I submitted my appeal with some new supporting documents on August 13, 2021. I got my notice of denial today, September 21, 2022.

I've spent this time sinking ever deeper into credit card debt and relying on family generosity that keeps a roof over my head, but my savings are dwindling. Getting hit with this blow means no relief is in sight and I'm entering territory where I need professional legal help to submit my next appeal, because at this stage a hearing is needed.

Googling is a bit overwhelming because there are a lot of results and a lot of them appear to be ads. I apologize if I'm not Googling to a satisfactory degree before coming here—I feel like I don't even know what I should be looking for. I'm Googling things like "massachusetts disability appeal lawyer no income" and "massachusetts disability appeal legal aid no income". Lots of "you don't pay unless we win" type results and I'm pretty afraid of bumbling into a bad deal because I really want to trust people and I'm pretty much incapable of advocating for myself so I'm easy to swindle.

If anyone here has any advice to share for this sort of thing I'd really appreciate it. It's hard not to feel like I don't matter as a person and that my problems and fears aren't valid or even real. I can't help but feel really hurt after all this waiting even if I know that my appeal being denied wasn't an intentionally harmful decision somebody made.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

blarzgh posted:

Two patent lawyers that hold engineering degrees that marry each other and decide to quit drinking.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Politely Afraid! posted:

Hey, friendlies ... I'm having problems with filing for disability in Massachusetts and I need legal help. My first application was denied, and I waited over a year for my appeal to be reconsidered. I just got my notice of denial for the appeal short while ago, so I'm not feeling very good. :(

More background: I left my job of 15 years in February 2021 due to my social anxiety becoming increasing hell on my quality of life and making it impossible for me to focus on getting better. I started weekly therapy and filed for disability to get me through the time I needed to get my life together and learn how to be in, and crucially work in society without being scared all the time.

In late July or early August 2021, my application was denied. I was bummed but not surprised since something like 9 out of 10 applications for disability get denied the first time. So I submitted my appeal with some new supporting documents on August 13, 2021. I got my notice of denial today, September 21, 2022.

I've spent this time sinking ever deeper into credit card debt and relying on family generosity that keeps a roof over my head, but my savings are dwindling. Getting hit with this blow means no relief is in sight and I'm entering territory where I need professional legal help to submit my next appeal, because at this stage a hearing is needed.

Googling is a bit overwhelming because there are a lot of results and a lot of them appear to be ads. I apologize if I'm not Googling to a satisfactory degree before coming here—I feel like I don't even know what I should be looking for. I'm Googling things like "massachusetts disability appeal lawyer no income" and "massachusetts disability appeal legal aid no income". Lots of "you don't pay unless we win" type results and I'm pretty afraid of bumbling into a bad deal because I really want to trust people and I'm pretty much incapable of advocating for myself so I'm easy to swindle.

If anyone here has any advice to share for this sort of thing I'd really appreciate it. It's hard not to feel like I don't matter as a person and that my problems and fears aren't valid or even real. I can't help but feel really hurt after all this waiting even if I know that my appeal being denied wasn't an intentionally harmful decision somebody made.

Good news! This is exactly how applying for (what sounds like) social security disability tends to play out.

The fee structure you're seeing is legit. Typically social security lawyers work on contingency, which means they work for "free" for as long as it takes to get you paid, and then they get a chunk of your lump sum back pay when it goes through. It is actually as good a deal as it sounds - just be aware you may have to pay for things that are not provided by the lawyer, such as medical tests and other documentation of your issues, so the PROCESS may not be entirely free even though the lawyer is.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Some of them are fee shifting as well, so they get paid by the government if they win

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fees for social security are literally defined by federal rule . There is no ambiguity

Getting disability for mental health issues is very hard .

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My insurance lawyer says the guy I'm suing's case against his insurance company isn't very strong. Seemed kind of obvious to me since it consists entirely of "this guy should have made me get better insurance" but what do I know.

My bankruptcy lawyer sent the payment plan the guy filed and it ignores my claim which isn't a big surprise. He continues to think it may be possible to get the guy to stipulate to 7 figures of damages but that doesn't seem likely to me but what do I know.

My PI lawyer continues to ignore my questions but what do I know.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is it also common to hire a lawyer to fight for long term disability with your employer provided disability insurance?

Like I think I need to file for LTD but I don't know if talking to a lawyer first is good to avoid any pitfalls or talking to a lawyer first is bad because of the negative connotations of "lawyering up."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You usually need a lawyer for any disability scenario

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Is it the court’s responsibility to stop a client from answering a question their counsel has objected to before they’ve ruled on the objection? Asking for alex jones’s lawyer

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

the court usually tells witnesses to shut up when a lawyer objects until the court rules on the objection
its the lawyers responsibility to get the client to shut up

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hoshi posted:

Is it the court’s responsibility to stop a client from answering a question their counsel has objected to before they’ve ruled on the objection? Asking for alex jones’s lawyer

In practice, it's a group effort. Counsel should prep witness, court is supposed to try and control the room, witness is supposed to follow instructions, anyone, even OC, can chime in and try and stop the defendant from talking.

It never works.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

For Alex Jones case specifically, in the sequence

- Jones is testifying
- Opposing lawyer asks a question
- Jones's lawyer objects
- Jones talks over the judge and answers the question / the judge sustains the objection, then Jones shouts out an answer anyway

I don't think Jones's lawyer is personally pissing off the judge (for that at least)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

For Alex Jones case specifically, in the sequence

- Jones is testifying
- Opposing lawyer asks a question
- Jones's lawyer objects
- Jones talks over the judge and answers the question / the judge sustains the objection, then Jones shouts out an answer anyway

I don't think Jones's lawyer is personally pissing off the judge (for that at least)

Nah, I think the judge would have had sympathy for that if not for basically everything else the lawyer is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I have a tree law.... I guess? question. I am getting a tree taken down. It's in a tricky place and could reasonably impact my house or my neighbors'. What sort of insurance should I be looking for in my tree service?