Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Chillgamesh posted:

:goonsay: ACKSHUALLY most of that lore is about the Viis and therefore not a player tribe

I meant that you can talk to the Wandering Dramaturge during the Return to Ivalice for Viera lore tidbits. Also they're actually just the Viera from Tactics/XII in terms of how they function.

It's how we know the males are vicious guerilla warfare murder hermits. Although, it is remarkably funny to talk to him AS a male Viera now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I guess that’s also why male Viera surnames are even more of a keyboard smash than roegadyn ones

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thundarr posted:

36 is a square number and squares aren't groovy, man.

Soken made Square groovy.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what happens when the sun cats get through the entire alphabet or can there be multiple tribes of the same letter?

Typically when they go out and capture new hunting grounds they remain on good terms with their family, keep their original name, and are considered an extension of the same tribe. So for instance if G'raha Tia wished to he could call himself G'raha Nunh, of the Crystal Tower territory, and still be considered member of Corvus's G tribe as well.
Alternatively they could be outcasts of their original tribe, make a new name with a 2 letter prefix, and then probably fail to create a new family/community because no one likes them. Or just they'd ditch their cultural traditions entirely, and just rename themselves to whatever they pleased.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Just rename yourself T'ia Nuhn.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Do Sunseekers change their letter prefix if they move to a new tribe.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

last time i poked fun at cat people lore some weirdo kramer'd by and called me a eugenicist so im pretty happy that isn't happening to anyone right now

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what happens when the sun cats get through the entire alphabet or can there be multiple tribes of the same letter?

The designation at the front gets long. For example: Deez' tribe

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Roach Warehouse posted:

Now that I’m post shadowbringers, part of me wants to do all the content I’ve heard can lead to optional scenes/dialogue in endwalker. Another, probably more sensible part of me says that’s crazy and will take forever.

This is where I'm at. Is there a list for this?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

for sure do the omega raids if nothing else. also you'll meet the job quest npcs so just quickly level all of them :v:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I would say just get all raid and trial stories from previous expacs done. I think Bozja is also represented but that's a lot to ask.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I would say just get all raid and trial stories from previous expacs done. I think Bozja is also represented but that's a lot to ask.

Great. That's mostly easy. Not going to finish Bozja though.

Was worried it'd be all the tribe quests or something.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Doomykins posted:

I can't wait to play Final Fantasy 14, a whimsical fantasy RPG where adventure awaits. Oh no! I thought this'd be a cool story about giant robots, like Gundam! Instead it's about the horrors of war, like Gundam!

Enormous Spoilers, Weapon Storyline:

HAH EAT poo poo PAL!! oh god oh gently caress oh poo poo he came back! OH, IT'S THE MUSIC

YEAH! YEAH!

OH YEAH! EAT poo poo VALENS!! Hahahaha those sound effects. Like a grape.

Oh... oh, it's raining now...

Just a light-hearted story about a father executing his son...

Here I thought it was a blue checkmark leading to another delightful set of extra raid encounters and Yoshi P goes and does this to me, leaving my mighty heart breaking.

I wasn't a huge fan of this storyline in general, but the very end of that last scene you took shots of is one of my favorite visuals in the game.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Krile reminded me I hadn't finished Eureka at one point in the Endwalker story. Fine, I'll go do it but I won't like it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

No force on earth will get me to finish Eureka. What a godawful place.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Honestly if you level with the weekly logs and join Notorious Monster trains when they pop, Eureka is really fun and breezy in my opinion. Second zone loving sucks, though.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SettingSun posted:

No force on earth will get me to finish Eureka. What a godawful place.

I had a really good time with the first area.

People in the second area were such jerks all the time. It felt really out of place in this game. Got the hat, not going back.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gruckles posted:

Typically when they go out and capture new hunting grounds they remain on good terms with their family, keep their original name, and are considered an extension of the same tribe. So for instance if G'raha Tia wished to he could call himself G'raha Nunh, of the Crystal Tower territory, and still be considered member of Corvus's G tribe as well.
Alternatively they could be outcasts of their original tribe, make a new name with a 2 letter prefix, and then probably fail to create a new family/community because no one likes them. Or just they'd ditch their cultural traditions entirely, and just rename themselves to whatever they pleased.

So what you're telling me is I could make a catboy with a two-letter prefix and RP an incel.

Mi'lady Nunh

e: Eu'phoric

Dareon fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 21, 2022

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

People in the second area were such jerks all the time. It felt really out of place in this game. Got the hat, not going back.

Pagos players seemed fine when I was there last week. Might've just been a run of bad luck.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if you mainly focus on the weekly challenge logs you can knock out eureka over the weeks and the worst part a out it is maybe you'll die trying to reach some of the harder points of interest for the quest line.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Eureka is worse than FFXI ever was.

At least FFXI gave you sneak and invisible.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

eureka is the worst this game's ever been

eureka is the best this game's ever been

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Pagos is the weakest eureka zone but i liked the cliff drop caves and imo it’s lame they immediately started shoving the sleeping dragons to the side in pyros

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Kazy posted:

and then you got the joy of running across true sight and sound enemies that would joyfully shank you

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Big workshop payouts today and tomorrow for the island, should be a really easy 17k week if you don’t have the cheevo yet

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I actually made necklace > cuffs instead of earrings > cuffs since I noticed I was running really short on fangs. My pasture has a pretty balanced mix of animals but some of the items get very rarely used while others get used every week. I'm too lazy to reconfigure the animals now though. :shrug:

At least necklaces have a peak day today, so the difference in the returns is fairly small.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Chillgamesh posted:

I guess that’s also why male Viera surnames are even more of a keyboard smash than roegadyn ones

The naming convention post on the official forums has some more info on Viera lore, and males' roles within their tribes. Rava take on the names of the adult male that takes them out of the village to train them when they're of age and are related to the elements of ice, water, wind, fire, earth, and lightning, split into heavenly and earthy variants. They believe there should be one of all 12 possible names among their wood warders. Veena names are based on snow and snowflake-themed things and all end with "wesfv", which is their word for "guardian."

I don't know how to pronounce them.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kazy posted:

You have sneak in Eureka if you're a ninja. Some enemies can still detect you but most can't. Even if you'd rather do the fighting as RDM like a normal person, ninja is still handy for those quests that want you to grab an aether current elemental thingummy

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Qwertycoatl posted:

You have sneak in Eureka if you're a ninja. Some enemies can still detect you but most can't. Even if you'd rather do the fighting as RDM like a normal person, ninja is still handy for those quests that want you to grab an aether current elemental thingummy

Great, now I'm gonna go level Ninja and procrastinate more on doing Eureka.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the most fun parts of eureka for me were trying to sneak past something, aggroing it, then trying to frantically run away and drop aggro without pulling half of the rest of the area.

exp loss can suck but it also raises the stakes and makes things more exciting imo.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Ninja isn't perfect for the quests in Eureka, since more than one of those spots are put behind mobs with True Sight (watch out for griffins). That only means that you need to treat them like actual Sight-aggro mobs while invisible, though; they have the same conal vision as most enemies.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 21, 2022

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
G'raha Tia might be in a movie.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/jonathan-bailey-wicked-movies-fiyero-1235343153/

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

On the one hand, Bailey deserves better than loving Wicked but on the other hand he loving loves musical theatre. As long as it doesn't delay Bridgerton, I guess.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
How does the Sunseeker's letter prefix work in Japanese? Are they just translating A' B' C' etc or doing something different?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

OhFunny posted:

How does the Sunseeker's letter prefix work in Japanese? Are they just translating A' B' C' etc or doing something different?

they're still the english alphabet, but transliterated into japanese. y'shtola is ヤ・シュトラ ya'shutora

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
This is also why you had some of the early English voice acting call her Yashtola.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

rantmo posted:

On the one hand, Bailey deserves better than loving Wicked but on the other hand he loving loves musical theatre. As long as it doesn't delay Bridgerton, I guess.

Wicked is wonderful :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

rantmo posted:

Wicked is good

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Wicked would be better, ironically, if you removed Fiyero completely from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Heran Bago posted:

This is where I'm at. Is there a list for this?

Basically everything except the Shadowbringers Alliance Raids get referenced

Qwertycoatl posted:

Once you get access to logograms you can make an invisibility spell which you will need because the quest line will have you needing to get by mobs 5-10 levels higher than you.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 21, 2022