Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for not paying my wedding cake?

b-but i put a lot of time and effort into completely loving everything up

It's a special kind of fuckup to make a wedding cake that the bride can't even eat, then bring along some cheap-rear end cookies and say 'We're totally square, right?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Foo Diddley posted:

quote:

NTA. Can you image walking into your remodeled kitchen …looking at the vinyl flooring and asking where was the tiles you provided for installation?

And the contractor saying they used your tiles on another project but the vinyl was just as pretty and took the same amount of time to install so you need to pay for their services?

I wouldn’t pay a dime.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Booky posted:

this ops an entitled prick and emily + his fam deserves better

how do you... not notice that?? :psyduck:

how is OP entitled?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Solkanar512 posted:

This was the movie about the dude who was eaten by a bear, right? If so, these aren't "conservative boomer" critiques, that man was a massive, massive idiot that didn't respect what he was dealing with.

no that was grizzly man

you've really made it as an outdoorsman when werner herzog is listening to a tape of your demise imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Solkanar512 posted:

This was the movie about the dude who was eaten by a bear, right? If so, these aren't "conservative boomer" critiques, that man was a massive, massive idiot that didn't respect what he was dealing with.

I think you're thinking of Grizzly Man. And yeah, he was a massive idiot

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Into the Wild was about the guy who hiked in Alaska with no supplies or food and rejected most forms of assistance. He eventually starved and died in an abandoned bus. His story inspired many others to embark on their own journey and die a miserable death like he did.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Scipiotik posted:

Emily seems to think she's entitled to the OP's attention. I do think he sucked a little bit as a kid, but really he was just shy and got his heart broken. Seems like he was madder at his brother who he feels betrayed his trust (though he is wrong because if his brother and emily liked each other too loving bad OP). Regardless he moved on and doesn't want to have that relationship with Emily any more and he doesn't have to. Her whining about it to other people is real strange to me.

Yeah, I've been friends with people I wasn't even romantically interested in and then the friendship ended for reasons beyond our control (or we just fell out of touch) and if one of them came around to cry on my shoulder I'd be extremely uncomfortable. For the past eight years OP has been standoffish with Emily and his brother because his brother knowingly hooked up with the girl OP liked. Whether or not OP is wrong for that, the close relationship is over.

teen witch posted:

I’m posting this exactly how it was posted.

My (29F) partner (28M) shat all over a movie I love and now I'm grumpy with him

YTA, a real person died. This is like getting poetic about Grizzly Man

eta: beaten on the bear movie thing, drat it

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DemoneeHo posted:

Into the Wild was about the guy who hiked in Alaska with no supplies or food and rejected most forms of assistance. He eventually starved and died in an abandoned bus. His story inspired many others to embark on their own journey and die a miserable death like he did.

Ah, this explains my confusion, thanks the clarification everyone!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DemoneeHo posted:

I thought he died after poisoned himself with wild potatoes that he ate AFTER he weakened himself with starvation.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

teen witch posted:

The poetry of starving to death in a bus in the middle of nowhere to prove absolutely nothing and leave behind a landmark that would attract other people bent on dying alone in the woods

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_McCandless

quote:

On June 18, 2020, various government agencies coordinated with an Alaska Army National Guard training mission to finally remove the bus, deemed a public safety issue after at least fifteen people had to be rescued, and at least two people died while attempting to cross the Teklanika River to reach the bus.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

DemoneeHo posted:

This quote from an Alaskan Park Ranger, Peter Christian, just really spells out how dumb the whole thing was.

quote:

When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn't even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate. First off, he spent very little time learning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map of the area. If he [had] had a good map he could have walked out of his predicament [...] Essentially, Chris McCandless committed suicide.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Solkanar512 posted:

No, Alexander Supertramp was Chris McCandless who starved to death in the Alaskan because he was a massive massive idiot that didn't respect what he was dealing with.

He lived in an abandoned bus for two months, got cut off from his escape route by floodwaters, failed to take a map which would have shown him the crossing two miles away, and either starved to death or ended up too weak from eating poisonous berries to forage because, as mentioned above, he was a massive massive idiot who thought he was the main character of the world.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

teen witch posted:

I love how she perceives her partner's beliefs. Dude may be anarchist but it doesn't sound like he's "anti-society," it sounds like he considers the society worth having is one where people take responsibility for themselves and others. Whitewater rafting permits aren't something to drat the man about. Wandering into the woods without telling anyone where you're going isn't something to drat the man about. These are just people not even doing the bare minimum to look after their safety and the safety of others. There's no poetry to being a loving moron, and that's what this guy seems to take issue with.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

trickybiscuits posted:

Yeah, I've been friends with people I wasn't even romantically interested in and then the friendship ended for reasons beyond our control (or we just fell out of touch) and if one of them came around to cry on my shoulder I'd be extremely uncomfortable. For the past eight years OP has been standoffish with Emily and his brother because his brother knowingly hooked up with the girl OP liked. Whether or not OP is wrong for that, the close relationship is over.

YTA, a real person died. This is like getting poetic about Grizzly Man

eta: beaten on the bear movie thing, drat it

IDK, seems like when someone dies because of failure to follow the basic rules of interacting with nature after stubbornly refusing all help and advice it really isn’t as sad. It’s like if a drunk driver runs off a cliff.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Brawnfire posted:

These are just people not even doing the bare minimum to look after their safety and the safety of others. There's no poetry to being a loving moron, and that's what this guy seems to take issue with.

But he was such a free spirit! :swoon:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AngryRobotsInc posted:

This quote from an Alaskan Park Ranger, Peter Christian, just really spells out how dumb the whole thing was.

He's like a more successful version of that goon who made an aborted attempt to walk across the US

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Brawnfire posted:

I love how she perceives her partner's beliefs. Dude may be anarchist but it doesn't sound like he's "anti-society," it sounds like he considers the society worth having is one where people take responsibility for themselves and others. Whitewater rafting permits aren't something to drat the man about. Wandering into the woods without telling anyone where you're going isn't something to drat the man about. These are just people not even doing the bare minimum to look after their safety and the safety of others. There's no poetry to being a loving moron, and that's what this guy seems to take issue with.

Yeah, dude seems to have some experience in the wild and McCandless is everything you don't support if you are that kind of person. He violates every principle that a person who IDs as a conservationist, outdoorsman, etc would have.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

He's like a more successful version of that goon who made an aborted attempt to walk across the US

Pretty much! I was think of McCandless the entire time I read through that whole mess.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

teen witch posted:

I really wonder if she knows it's a true story.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmao at getting into a huge fight because of a movie about an idiot who died because he was stupid. Double lmao at thinking your partner is some secret CHUD because he isn't as onboard with your idolation of the dumb guy who starved to death.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah this owns. Supertramp was nowhere near as dumb as the bear guy but man, he's up there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Agrikk posted:

Foo Diddley posted:

quote:

NTA. Can you image walking into your remodeled kitchen …looking at the vinyl flooring and asking where was the tiles you provided for installation?

And the contractor saying they used your tiles on another project but the vinyl was just as pretty and took the same amount of time to install so you need to pay for their services?

I wouldn’t pay a dime.

And if the vinyl flooring could kill you.

And to be fair, I think Into the Wild practically deifies the stupid bastard, so I could understand her position if she doesn’t know literally anything else about it.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 21, 2022

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

At my secondary school in the 80s it was accepted that everyone barrelled off home ASAP to watch Danger Mouse on days it was on. And at the hospital my mum worked at good luck trying to get hold of a doctor on Sat morning when Tiswas was on. Good kids TV is relaxing fun for all ages and he's indubitably TA.

From three pages back but for me this was often 'The Days of Our Lives'. It was just so schlocky, badly acted and poorly directed that it was kind of fun to watch with your brain in low-power mode. And the best part was that some actors got really intense, like they imagined themselves master thespians.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Looking at the ages there I think there's something hosed up with a 20-21 year old getting down with his 17-18 year old younger brother's 17-18 year old crush, personally.

I didn't notice the ages, yeah brother is gross.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

DemoneeHo posted:

how do you gently caress up your own business so badly that you not only use the wrong gluten free ingredients on the wrong cake, but also run out entirely so you have to use glutenous flour instead? where did the extra cake go?

The baker used the ingredients OP provided for *other people's cake's*, presumably ones they got paid for making. So OP subsidized this person's business and they had the audacity to ask for pay. This one is feeling like bait but having known some small business gently caress-ups in my day, could totally be real.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

StrangersInTheNight posted:

The baker used the ingredients OP provided for *other people's cake's*, presumably ones they got paid for making. So OP subsidized this person's business and they had the audacity to ask for pay. This one is feeling like bait but having known some small business gently caress-ups in my day, could totally be real.

If it's anything like the bakery I work at, she's constantly getting requests for gluten-free cakes (my bakery does not make gluten-free cakes but this doesn't stop people from asking) and opportunities to take some of those orders and make a little extra money were constantly being waved in her face. And then oops, all the gluten-free ingredients are gone.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Five gets you ten that this “baker” doesn’t maintain an allergen room and separate equipment for gluten-free cakes.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, dude seems to have some experience in the wild and McCandless is everything you don't support if you are that kind of person. He violates every principle that a person who IDs as a conservationist, outdoorsman, etc would have.

This is on par with thinking "my partner is a zookeeper and loves big cats, he should love the tragic story of the man who died climbing into the tiger enclosure to pet the kitties"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ferrovanadium posted:

If it's anything like the bakery I work at, she's constantly getting requests for gluten-free cakes (my bakery does not make gluten-free cakes but this doesn't stop people from asking) and opportunities to take some of those orders and make a little extra money were constantly being waved in her face. And then oops, all the gluten-free ingredients are gone.

Yep, that's exactly what happened. Which is honestly understandable, but then not going out and paying for new ingredients for this cake...welp, that's where the baker hosed up. Maybe she didn't have time, but lying about it via omission until your client gets a rude surprise the day of and then trying to spin it as cute and fun, when the bride literally couldn't eat her own wedding cake. Woof. And what if the baker hadn't made it in time to stop her from having any, and the bride had eaten some? Poisoning a bride on her wedding day: not good for business.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

There are reasons to suspect, even in the more idealized versions of his story, that the guy from Into the Wild was suffering from mental illness. I think a lot of people read that book and thought of Christopher McCandless as this counterculture symbol of ultimate freedom, but as someone who was raised with an unpredictable, "adventurous" sibling, all I could see was how easy it would be for somebody who wanted to sell books to lionize my mentally ill brother's deeply stupid near-death stories in a similar way.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

teen witch posted:

white girl overload, beeep beeep beeep

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

therobit posted:

Five gets you ten that this “baker” doesn’t maintain an allergen room and separate equipment for gluten-free cakes.

I assumed that was the case from the jump, basically. I halfway believe the other orders didn't actually happen. What I would suspect is she tried making a gluten free cake and found out how tricky gluten free baking is, and went into Idiot Panic Mode. Rather than admitting "Whoops turns out I can't manage this in time", tried to spin it in a stupid direction.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I assumed that was the case from the jump, basically. I halfway believe the other orders didn't actually happen.
The way she went from claiming she had so many orders for gluten-free cakes that she ran through her ingredients before she could get to the OP's cake to crying about how she was really really counting on that wedding cake money would seem to indicate that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

I wonder if giving your small child the extra legroom seat is a common play to get two upgrades for the price of one.

Yes. I used to fly several times a month in business class/extended leg room and the number of people asking me to switch seats with their partner/kid/whatever 40 rows back in the plane happened approximately 20 times for every once that I has someone from the back of the plane who got asked to switch seats move up and sit next to me.

I got real specific about it: I'm not taking your worse seat. Give up this seat and you'll have no problem getting someone from the back to move up here.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah this owns. Supertramp was nowhere near as dumb as the bear guy but man, he's up there.

I don't know, Treadwell was a moron for thinking he could safely hang with bears at all, but his death was more due to overconfidence stemming from his decade+ of "success" in making trips into the Alaskan wilderness while McCandless died because he failed to/didn't care to do basic prep.

Treadwell did get someone else killed though so that puts him up there on the stupidity scale.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

teen witch posted:

Lmao i did the same thing in hs with my gf at the time. We watched it and my takeaway was "he abandoned his family, hit on a teenager, and died from eating the wrong berries. What a dumbass". She didn't like my reaction

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My reaction to the other dude who hosed off and broke the rules and almost died is the same as poster's BF.

The one with James Franco: "I told no one where i was going, i didn't' take my phone, i didn't check in with the rangers, and I had to cut my own arm off with a swiss army knife."

gently caress that dude, and gently caress us all (As a society) for thinking it's a story worth venerating.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Into the Wild is a good sense check of if you might eventually be roped into "lets move into a houseboat" tier conversation so god bless it.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
My main takeaway from the Christopher McCandless story is that he was a weird friendly guy that continually ignored people's good advice.

I always preferred the story of Richard Proenneke when it comes to loving off and living in the wilderness. He was a guy that actually had the required skills. The cabin he built and lived in for 30 years is on the U.S. register of historic places, instead of having to be removed because of all the dumbasses that make dangerous pilgrimages to it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

torgo posted:

My main takeaway from the Christopher McCandless story is that he was a weird friendly guy that continually ignored people's good advice.

He poached a moose though, that's not cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

WoodrowSkillson posted:

how is OP entitled?

“Hey, I never told this girl how felt when I was younger, continued acting like I normally did, got mad at her when she didn’t return my feelings and started dating then married my brother, then told her to gently caress off we’re not friends when she came to me for support after her dad died. Yes, we did use to be super close and I understood what complicated relationship she had with him from childhood.”

“Talk to her before she was already emotionally devastated? Maybe at one of the other times where I made excuses to avoid them? Why would I do that.”

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 21, 2022