Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MonsterEnvy posted:

My biggest issue with Season 2 is that Deathstroke was kind of wasted. He just gets stabbed at the start of the season 2 finale and that's the end of him.

I thought it was a very lame Deathstroke. I mean I like the actor and I actually did in theory like seeing Jericho and Rose on the screen. But I just think its pretty poorly done and yeah, you take a pretty major DC villain and treat him pretty disposable. The big melodramatic death at the end of the season doesn't even have anything to do with him, its just a random action. Which I think is what put me off the show now. Its just bad writing.

Its really just a bad show. Even by pulpy CW super hero melodrama standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Codependent Poster posted:

Sam and Bucky don't like Walker because they both feel he doesn't deserve the shield or understand what it means to be Captain America.

And they're both right. Even if they buddied up to him right away, it was only a matter of time before he snapped.

They're only right by coincidence. By all accounts he was the perfect person to be Captain America. They didn't dislike him because they could smell an evil man, they disliked him because of their own conflicted feelings about following in Steve's legacy.

I haven't finished the show, so if it goes into his backstory and it turns out that oh he did all kinds of bad poo poo beforehand because he's bad, fine. But James and Sam didn't know that. And from what I've seen, there's no reason to believe that it was inevitable he would snap.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sam was a moron for giving up the shield in the first place like an rear end in a top hat, but I'd probably be a dick to whoever the govt decided to replace my best friend with too

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

site posted:

Sam was a moron for giving up the shield in the first place like an rear end in a top hat, but I'd probably be a dick to whoever the govt decided to replace my best friend with too

Sam and John were kinda of in the same position. Steve giving Sam the shield was a very clear passing of the torch, but Sam didn't feel like he was up to it. If Sam had decided from the get go that he had to be the new Captain America without that time to really think on his doubts, to bond with Bucky, and to decide what being Captain American meant to him specifically, he could've ended up loving up terribly too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah but he could've just not given up the shield while he was figuring his poo poo out. like what the gently caress did he think was gonna happen, they were just gonna hold on to it specifically for him until he decided to come around, if he ever did at all?

site fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 21, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean he thought they’d put it in a museum like they did because Captain America was Steve Rogers not a mantle passed down. He was wrong. And arguably naive. Bucky basically feels that way. But the whole show is basically these characters in conflict over what that shield means and working through poo poo. And for Sam it’s pretty clearly established as the show goes on that his concern was much what HIM having the shield would mean to others.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sam and Bucky probably could've stood to be less condescending towards Walker, a guy they've never met and knew nothing about...but on the other hand, if hurt feelings are all it takes to make Walker bad at his job, then he probably shouldn't have had the job in the first place.

Like, never mind that he's taking on the role of Captain America; even "regular" law enforcement positions are designed to be stressful by nature. What's Walker gonna do when people other than Sam and Bucky call him some names? If he can't leave his insecurities at the door, then every little thing that goes wrong on the job is liable to set him off. Which...y'know, literally ends up happening. He's the equivalent of a cop that ends up gunning down some kid someday and blames everyone else about it but himself.

And I say all that despite having a lot of sympathy for Walker as he was depicted on the show, as someone who was set up to fail from the outset by shortsighted bureaucrats, and then left in the lurch by those same people when he ends up being a liability for them. He's every veteran soldier that the military industrial complex propped up for their purposes and sent off to fight their wars, but that they'll wash their hands of the minute he stops being useful, when he actually needs their help.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Walker's talk with Lemar that preceded his taking of the serum is really the crux of his whole character. He's a guy that's been heralded as a hero but feels he's a fraud because of a combination of survivor's guilt and shame for whatever he did that he was being rewarded for. He's trying to overcompensate to make up for failings he thinks are his own. In reality it's the system that hosed him over twice now at this point (once by putting him in the position that lead him here and a second by placing this heavy legacy on someone clearly not fit for it) and even a third time by the end of the series.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
He didn’t pass because he didn’t want to be Cap. He knew if he took the shield half the country would start making black Captain America effigies to burn on crosses.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Soonmot posted:

probably the only show I watched the title sequence for everytime

:same:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
finished it and overall easy easy recommend for peacemaker. there is some extremely good television on right now but very easily my favourite superhero product of this year i think, and likewise if you haven't bothered with The Suicide Squad on the fairly solid basis of what it was like before the The you're fuckin up and you should watch it first. both of them are closer to james gunn things than other stuff.

here's a question that has i guess some pretty major spoilers is peacemaker implied to be gay or probably bisexual, or at least to have slept with a man previously i suppose? his father constantly calls him a f** or similar but i thought that was just him being a nazi piece of poo poo, but when he was calling out his sins he says "I knew when you listened to that devil music. I knew when you shaved your body like a woman. I knew when you slept with the whores of polluted blood! and men!" with a real emphasis on that last word. like the other stuff is him being flippant or culture warry but he puts real hatred on men. it makes me wonder.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I've always wondered what the conversation Sam had with some government stooge that led to the handing over ceremony. Like did he say it was for a museum? Did they tell him "we will definitely not immediately give this to some guy?" That ceremony seemed awfully official and planned, I can't imagine Sam didn't have any questions and was just handing the thing in like an overdue library book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

finished it and overall easy easy recommend for peacemaker. there is some extremely good television on right now but very easily my favourite superhero product of this year i think, and likewise if you haven't bothered with The Suicide Squad on the fairly solid basis of what it was like before the The you're fuckin up and you should watch it first. both of them are closer to james gunn things than other stuff.

here's a question that has i guess some pretty major spoilers is peacemaker implied to be gay or probably bisexual, or at least to have slept with a man previously i suppose? his father constantly calls him a f** or similar but i thought that was just him being a nazi piece of poo poo, but when he was calling out his sins he says "I knew when you listened to that devil music. I knew when you shaved your body like a woman. I knew when you slept with the whores of polluted blood! and men!" with a real emphasis on that last word. like the other stuff is him being flippant or culture warry but he puts real hatred on men. it makes me wonder.

yeah he's bi

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

STAC Goat posted:

I thought it was a very lame Deathstroke. I mean I like the actor and I actually did in theory like seeing Jericho and Rose on the screen. But I just think its pretty poorly done and yeah, you take a pretty major DC villain and treat him pretty disposable. The big melodramatic death at the end of the season doesn't even have anything to do with him, its just a random action. Which I think is what put me off the show now. Its just bad writing.

Its really just a bad show. Even by pulpy CW super hero melodrama standards.

Titans is better than the worst seasons of Arrow but worse than the best.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gripweed posted:

They're only right by coincidence. By all accounts he was the perfect person to be Captain America

Yes, the perfect person to be Captain America by the estimation of the US government, who wanted to originally give the super soldier serum to Flash Thompson classic instead of skinny Steve Rogers

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yes, the perfect person to be Captain America by the estimation of the US government, who wanted to originally give the super soldier serum to Flash Thompson classic instead of skinny Steve Rogers

Yea, Erskine chose Steve because he was pure of heart, thought nothing of giving of himself and also hated bullies. All that made Steve the best candidate because Erskine already knew it was the persons mind not body that was most important decision in who to use it on, anyone can be made super strong, fast and tough, but only the right person could use it as intended.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yep. It’s like the literal text of First Avenger. Walker is the guy Tommy Lee Jones wants to give the serum to. And it goes exactly as you could reasonably expect it to go when you give a guy like that that kind of power and sense of importance.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

CoolCab posted:

There was a discussion about this way back in the thread. Someone pointed out Peacemaker's threesome with Vigilante, and that's pretty bi. Also, "What am I supposed to look at, towels?" is up there for the greatest line in the DCU.

Regarding FatWS, Sam and Bucky should have done more therapy together.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
The part where James does a front wheelie and drives straight into a concrete divider so he is propelled off the bike and into a bad guy is pretty good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I guess I finished The Falcon And The Winter Soldier? I was not expecting it to be only 6 episodes. It was alright. It was fun, James and Sam were great, there was some good action, Baron Zemo strayed pretty close to the line of obnoxious for that character type but never went all the way across, and the CGI wasn't bad.

I think the reason I was surprised when it ended, aside from 6 episodes being short for a streaming series, is that there's not really much to it by itself. Wandavision was it's own thing, it had it's own story to tell, even if there was a good deal of setting stuff up for future content. But TFATWS is mostly setting stuff up for future content. Like, get Bucky normal, make the Falcon Captain America, introduce USAgent and pump up Zemo, make Carter evil, and introduce a really terrible character that's played by Julia Louis-Drefus in the hopes that viewers won't notice how lovely all of her dialogue is. All stuff that is presumably important setup for future Marvel content. The actual story of the show is almost vestigial.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

FatWS was supposed to be the first show, covid just shuffled stuff around, so it's not too surprising that it would up being a little weak

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The other thing I will say about Walker is that it's easy for us, the audience, to see that he was going to be a bad choice for Captain America. But that's because we're omniscient gods with perfect understanding of story beats and narrative tropes looking down upon these hapless worms wriggling in the proverbial sand. They don't have the info that we have, they're not privy to the metatextual bird's-eye-view perspective of the story and events of multiple movies and comics and so forth that we have. It's not as if the government was going to go, "Hey let's look for the weakest guy we can find to be our superhero poster child." And if they did, who knows what kind of weirdo incel shut-in Twitch streamer they would've found? TFATWS has a buncha issues (I will rag on their depiction of Karli 5ever), but one of the things I appreciate about it is how it sets up the Russo-esque slow-boil tragedy that we can see coming, but that the characters in-story have no easy way to prevent, no easy solutions to stumble upon.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Opopanax posted:

FatWS was supposed to be the first show, covid just shuffled stuff around, so it's not too surprising that it would up being a little weak

Assuming the reports are true, FatWS had a major storyline about a global pandemic ripping through the migrant/refugee communities and killing them - Better explaining why the Flag Smashers existed. And then a global pandemic started ripping through communities and killing people and a bunch of editing and re-shooting needed to be done.

Which, like Daredevil (the Affleck movie) and the Director's Cut - when you cut out half the story context you end up with a less than stellar product.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I like what they're doing with Titania in She-Hulk, feels very modern and Jameela Jamil is playing her to the hilt.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

:laugh:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Sorta hoping we never see the super suit. Just get a joke in the finale episode where she opens the customary big overdesigned case and looks in it, then just closes it and says like "I know you were all super excited because we always save the suit for the last episode, like these shows are really just origin stories for our costumes, but I'm not feeling it. Maybe if they let me in a movie!"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nice, I thought it was only 6 episodes that’s a nice surprise.
Also sure looks like I was right about Leader showing up, Intelligencia being run out of a mad science lab certainly gives it credence. I wonder if Jen is going to be in New World Order, would make a lot of sense. I’m also hoping Blonsky is working with him and that’s not the last we’ve seen of him

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
She-Hulk

I haven't seen it yet but I KNOW there are people out there acting like Mr Immortal was always their favorite character and now he's ruined. I will revel in that bullshit when I see it. I absolutely loved the incel forum idea. The writers were able to perfecly predict how dorks on the internet would react to the show and I am digging it. More rage bait for those twerps.

Disregarding that I have already loved the character for a long time, this show is exceeing my expectations. Its as perfect as it can be.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Joe Fisto posted:

I haven't seen it yet but I KNOW there are people out there acting like Mr Immortal was always their favorite character and now he's ruined. I will revel in that bullshit when I see it. I absolutely loved the incel forum idea. The writers were able to perfecly predict how dorks on the internet would react to the show and I am digging it. More rage bait for those twerps.

Disregarding that I have already loved the character for a long time, this show is exceeing my expectations. Its as perfect as it can be.

I believe you but it is funny you say that right after saying people all of a sudden claim a character as their long-time favourite.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Lobok posted:

I believe you but it is funny you say that right after saying people all of a sudden claim a character as their long-time favourite.

Very true. I have a 10 year old she hulk tattoo if any fools want to check my street cred. Word to your mom.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I don't care about Mr. Immortal beyond that he just put a foot in the door for the GLA which means Doreen is one step closer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:hmmyes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They cast someone as Squirrel Girl, she was gonna be on a Champions or New Warriors show that didn't get picked up and is currently voicing her on a pod cast based around Doreen Green hosting a radio call-in advice show at her college after being publicly outed as Squirrel Girl

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Skwirl posted:

They cast someone as Squirrel Girl, she was gonna be on a Champions or New Warriors show that didn't get picked up and is currently voicing her on a pod cast based around Doreen Green hosting a radio call-in advice show at her college after being publicly outed as Squirrel Girl

Milana Vayntrub most known for her AT&T commercials. She seems like she would’ve been a good SG.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Joe Fisto posted:

She-Hulk

I can't wait for Daredevil to meet Jen for dinner or something and say something like "I hope you weren't waiting for me. I'm not such a big deal."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Joe Fisto posted:

Milana Vayntrub most known for her AT&T commercials. She seems like she would’ve been a good SG.

She's very good in the podcast

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Im also surprised that I don’t see more discourse about the casting of Patti Harrison, ya know, for reasons

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

Don't say would. She can still be Squirrel Girl!

Come on coward Feige.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Joe Fisto posted:

Im also surprised that I don’t see more discourse about the casting of Patti Harrison, ya know, for reasons

I don’t think most people realize she’s trans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Barb from Stranger Things tried to parlay her fleeting internet fame into a campaign to be cast as Squirrel Girl, and while it didn’t work, it speaks volumes about how cool she must be that she chose to spend her 15 minutes of notoriety into such a mission.