Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am not a fan of Prey's school of thought of designing enemies "make them look like a spazzy black smear"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

priznat posted:

I am not a fan of Prey's school of thought of designing enemies "make them look like a spazzy black smear"

Enemy variety and combat are low points for sure. Be a stealth guy IMO. The map lends itself to creeping around anyway

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Wait until you see what they’re charging for the Nintendo Switch these days!

at least the switch can play games

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Switch lite is pretty good and you can buy it and Slay the Spire for $220 save the $130 and be good to go

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s pretty amazing how logitech can just poop out a portable console with ancient specs and requires 3rd party cloud services and it still sells out instantaneously.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

This game looks fun ty I will try it out

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Prey is just System Shock without an antagonist or viably fun combat gameplay so who played it got a nostalgia rush and then everyone stopped talking about it shortly afterwards because it doesn't really do anything new.

The moral of the story is maybe don't make the unique selling point of your game be that the gimmick of the weakest and most common enemy is that they're incredibly annoying.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I played a few hours of Deathloop last night and thought it was alright. I like the art style and characters so far. Runs really well on my PC which I was surprised about. Not really any negatives yet but we'll see the further I go.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
The guy in Deathloop gives me John McClane vibes. Maybe just cause he seems like he's in over his head while he snarks with the bad guy over a radio?

It's enough to make me keep playing I guess.

Edit: Heh, thinking about timeloop games makes me remember 12 Minutes. A game everyone should play in the same way everyone should see The Room.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 21, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

hell yeah

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

priznat posted:

It’s pretty amazing how logitech can just poop out a portable console with ancient specs and requires 3rd party cloud services and it still sells out instantaneously.

PC gamers in their eternal quest to not buy a switch will rather spend double that for a stunted ps4 portable or swiss dreck.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

That Logitech thing is sending real Fisher-Price “Baby’s first console” vibes.

Something about it looks cheap and super plastic-y.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

As a guy with a recently-rebuilt PC I don't really feel much need to buy a console at all these days, but, the Xbox Anywhere thing sounds cool because I can play a game on my couch and then switch to my desk if my wife wants to use the TV or something. But apparently it's, like, not available for every game? Can someone tell me why it's not just a general feature for any game that has both an XBox and PC version, or what the rhyme/reason is for what games it is or isn't available for (like, it doesn't seem to be just Microsoft first-party games), or whether it's likely to be more or less available as time goes on? Thanks!

like, Yakuza 7 has Xbox Anywhere, but Elden Ring doesn't, and that seems weird and arbitrary to me

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Because devs want to sell you two versions of the same game, and Microsoft can't really force them to do otherwise.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
That is the main reason, but the other problem is that the PC version has to go through the Microsoft Store which actually does require some engineering/testing on the game's part for a storefront that effectively no one uses.

EDIT: That also means they have another platform/storefront to maintain when the game is updated, DLC comes out, price is adjusted, etc. It's actually a pretty good amount of work.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 21, 2022

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Healbot posted:

PC gamers in their eternal quest to not buy a switch will rather spend double that for a stunted ps4 portable or swiss dreck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The deck is $399 it’s only double if you compare it to the switch lite.

Also the deck is by far the best value in gaming right now.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The best value in gaming in an Xbox Series S with 1 year of free Game Pass.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

American McGay posted:

The best value in gaming in an Xbox Series S with 1 year of free Game Pass.

The best value WAS when microsoft was selling people on gamepass for a penny for however long their gold subscription was at the time up to 3 years.

I had about two years of gamepass for a penny.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

American McGay posted:

Because devs want to sell you two versions of the same game, and Microsoft can't really force them to do otherwise.

Hey, FF15 has cross-saves and still requires you to buy the game twice to use the feature!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Thanks these are both true to this day. Now that I've played Fenyx, Elden Ring is even further down the list than I thought.
As someone who just got about 15 hours of 7/10 enjoyment out of Fenyx, then watched it completely run out of steam for 5 more hours: good lord man. You've ruined my day with this take.

Fenyx has its charms, but there were basically zero moments in the entire game where I actually found some interesting or unique experience just by wandering around and exploring. As it goes on you see the Ubisoft rails more and more and you're simply darting to each little checkbox on the map, and the rewards become more and more homogenous as the game runs out of stuff to throw at you. The quests are all basically "go to the thing on your map and watch a cutscene" and some of the seemingly more interesting ones turn out to just have more stops along the way and then just give you another cosmetic set of wings at the end. The game seriously stops coming up with anything new to show you about 10 hours in.

It is still enjoyable for that brief time but if you force a comparison of its world to BotW or Elden Ring it's just embarrassing. As I was hoping though, it's a great game pass game! Because I don't feel obligated to even finish it or anything and won't be butthurt that it stopped being fun.

e: oh yeah and they directly lifted the whole "four legendary champions give you blessings after completing their quests" thing from BotW, including the exact same first one (free resurrection on a 20 minute cooldown), but every other blessing is complete boring trash.

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 21, 2022

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Does the new elite controller use the same accessories or are they custom, non interchangeable bits and pieces

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My understanding is that it's like a "core version" of the current Elite controller, meaning that it's just the shell that you can put all the fancy bells and whistles on but those are sold separately.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

My understanding is that it's like a "core version" of the current Elite controller, meaning that it's just the shell that you can put all the fancy bells and whistles on but those are sold separately.

I want to see if they made any internal changes though.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

American McGay posted:

Specifically the four paddles that attached to the back and act as an duplicate input binding are not in the "core."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I got the elite controller just before they launched this cheaper version without all the doodads, but the doodads are pretty neat. It is especially cool how they just click on and off with magnets! Really nice (better be for the price!)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can also buy those paddles off AliExpress for like $4

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

American McGay posted:

I have one of the original elite controllers that I payed almost nothing for so I have a bunch of back paddles that may or may not be useful here

(Assuming the new elite is of better build quality, which isn't a given)

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I want to see if they made any internal changes though.

The parts are interchangeable and there are no internal changes. Essentially there is one with a case and extra parts and one without. They will sell you the extras alone for $60 if you change your mind.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lifespan posted:

The parts are interchangeable and there are no internal changes. Essentially there is one with a case and extra parts and one without.

How do we know there are no internal changes? Do we know for sure they aren’t using different sticks?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

priznat posted:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Prey combat sucked even with fps boost but setting was cool. Didn't play beyond the first hour.

Dishonored 1 is good, 2 has irredeemably bad input lag.

Bioshock is better than both of them.

Far cry 5 is the only FC I've played and it was fun.

Come at me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’m pretty much a professional gamer.

https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1572731972023160837?s=46&t=UtTsH8wtppC53-Cm9fsI-Q

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Laserface posted:

Prey combat sucked even with fps boost but setting was cool. Didn't play beyond the first hour.

Dishonored 1 is good, 2 has irredeemably bad input lag.

Bioshock is better than both of them.

Far cry 5 is the only FC I've played and it was fun.

Come at me.

Deathloop feels really laggy too on PC. It made playing feel unpleasant. Just felt off.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

You going to get a sponsorship from Red Bull gaming like that one guy in Star Citizen.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Just started playing Shadow of War the lord of the rings game. Pretty slick so far. Graphics are sexy. I’m not positive but I do think it may still be 30 fps? Anyone know?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I found that game to be a non stop clusterfuck of nemesis system dudes showing up for a long intro over and over in every mission i got so sick of it after a while. Just let me complete anything without watching an SNL cast intro of stupid orcs rolling into the fray

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

I found that game to be a non stop clusterfuck of nemesis system dudes showing up for a long intro over and over in every mission i got so sick of it after a while. Just let me complete anything without watching an SNL cast intro of stupid orcs rolling into the fray

Lol that was the best part imo when you get like 5 different nemesises (nemisii?) showing up one after another and then curb stomping them yourself or summoning your orcs to deal with them. Even if they took you out it was worth it when they gloat and cut a promo on you like a wrestler and then level up and get new armor or whatever. Then you hunt them down and learn their weaknesses first.

It was way more fun than any of the actual objectives.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

How do we know there are no internal changes? Do we know for sure they aren’t using different sticks?

I didn't assemble the thing but as someone who was involved in its development before I left, there are no changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lifespan posted:

I didn't assemble the thing but as someone who was involved in its development before I left, there are no changes.

Fair enough!

I have a v2 that doesn’t have any issues but I thought a few people have had issues with their v2s. I know the first gen was kinda a mess.