Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Does anybody know a good way to get BaF parts? I checked my local comic shops and they don't have the leg I need, and the ones on Ebay are overpriced.

I was going through this struggle a couple months ago and settled on just buying the drat figures, because it was so not worth paying close to the same price for the BAF part by itself. Most recent Marvel Legends can be got below retail price if you hunt around a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hyped to have found the #1 shonen nerd today

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Facebook groups.

Please don't recommend self-harm.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Sideshow dropped a $50 credit into my account so I picked this figure up for the cost of shipping. I'll post pictures when it gets here.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I was going through this struggle a couple months ago and settled on just buying the drat figures, because it was so not worth paying close to the same price for the BAF part by itself. Most recent Marvel Legends can be got below retail price if you hunt around a little.

Ive gotten lucky, getting pieces for pretty cheap, but I've still dropped 50 bucks to get this far. I assumed this piece would be easy to find since it came with the movie black suit Spiderman, which I thought would be a popular figure. More popular than loving Morlun, that's for sure. So there should be a lot of loose left legs out there. Where are they? What are people doing with these BaF pieces if they don't intend to Build the Figure?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gripweed posted:

Ive gotten lucky, getting pieces for pretty cheap, but I've still dropped 50 bucks to get this far. I assumed this piece would be easy to find since it came with the movie black suit Spiderman, which I thought would be a popular figure. More popular than loving Morlun, that's for sure. So there should be a lot of loose left legs out there. Where are they? What are people doing with these BaF pieces if they don't intend to Build the Figure?

Most of my local toy collector "friends" hoard that stuff. It's the "someday I'll complete the figure" mentality.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm probably going to end up getting the first three waves* of the LOTR Diamond Select figures just to get Sauron despite not giving even the SLIGHTEST poo poo about LOTR in general or any of those other fucks because it'd simply be cheaper than other options.

I like Sauron's design and he fits what I'm after in my collection. I have a Visual Thing I am working towards goddamnit and I am going to get there.

*I am not getting that loving orc that only comes with the bendy mace that I would rather throw in the trash

Relatedly, Toybiz BAF Apocalypse is *far* cheaper to get on his own, either the parts or the whole figure already built, than trying to get the whole wave.

Important note on my general disinterest in LOTR and especially LOTR- if they ever make decent Rankin Bass Hobbit style figures, let me know. That's the only thing I care about beyond aesthetics.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Shiroc posted:

Hyped to have found the #1 shonen nerd today

Sick! I'm waiting for BBTS to fulfill my preorder

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is it Dragon Ball canon that Gohan is more shredded than Goku?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

He got real beefy arms.

I think, canonically, that Gohan has the potential to exceed Goku in terms of strength and power, but he's too busy nerding out and trying to meet his mother's expectations of him to constantly be out saving the universe like his dad.

I could be super wrong though, the above is based on DBZ canon and not Super.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kinda

Goku's never quite reached his cheese grater days from Namek again

EDIT: It's also pretty much accepted in Dragon Ball that Gohan is the singularly most powerful person in existence, he just doesn't want to be. And is bad at it.

Which good for him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

He got real beefy arms.

I think, canonically, that Gohan has the potential to exceed Goku in terms of strength and power, but he's too busy nerding out and trying to meet his mother's expectations of him to constantly be out saving the universe like his dad.

I could be super wrong though, the above is based on DBZ canon and not Super.

Pretty much yeah. Although it's not just meeting his mom's expectations, it's holding down a good job and being there for his wife and daughter. Goku willingly abandoned his family all the time for chances to train. To the point where he has achieved power beyond even Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, and is maybe a little less strong than a Destroyer God. Gohan would have to abandon his family for a good long time to touch that kind of power.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The safety of the universes continually guaranteed by everyone accepting that Goku is the least reliable being in existence for everything other than beating up the bad guy eventually and not asking for more.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
The new movie basically proves that being an absentee father is genetic for the Son family.

I kid, I kid. Goku was there every single day of Gohan's life from birth through 5 years old and only stopped being there because...he died saving Gohan's life. Then he spent three years straight with him again awaiting the artificial humans. Then spent another entire year completely alone with him in the Room of Spirit & Time and only missed Gohan's adolescence because (rightfully) Goku is a big ol' magnet for rear end in a top hat evil guys.

Anyway, the new Gohan figure is on a completely redesigned "3.0" body, while even the newest Goku is still rocking the ol' reliable "2.0" body. Hence the extra beefiness.

Obviously a new Goku using Gohan's body as a base will become the standard eventually. My guess is whenever they announce the return of the Super TV series.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I have 69 episodes of the original Dragon Ball to watch and my blurays of Super are coming this week or next. I would like them to not make more anime Dragon Ball since I already have like 4+ years at the pace I've been going.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Honestly I think part of the issue there could be that most people buying Spider-Man are very casual collectors or actual children, so they just chuck the leg over their shoulder and it would never occur to them to go on eBay and find a buyer for it. Whereas Morlun might appeal to a savvier customer. That's my guess.

BAF's are frustrating, and really not fun if you're not like a serious all-in Marvel Legends collector. I'm still grumpy that to get Khonshu I will have to buy a whole wave of figures I don't actually want. But again, I know from experience that just trying to buy the parts is a big pain, and I'd rather not spend weeks scouring eBay for them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The savvy Morlun customer.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks for the Swolehan info, folks.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I have ordered 4th form Freiza because I felt like I’d want him a lot once I get to Z.

This tweet is the only reason why I have so many Gokus and am watching Dragon Ball

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Well they nailed the poo poo-eating grin for sure.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

Well they nailed the poo poo-eating grin for sure.

nice shoes.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Rhyno posted:

Facebook groups.

I have exactly one facebook group of local collectors (private friends-of-friends group of ~45 people) who aren't crazy and it's the whole reason I haven't gotten rid of facebook yet.

It makes me sad since it really is sort of distilled "we all have the same interest and this website helps us get together" showing off how useful facebook can be to keep people connected.

but yeah, the 10k + groups of insane collectors is actually how you get hard-to-get parts. it's like a neverending fleamarket

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

When I dumped my BAF parts on eBay, I was the only listing for weeks on many.
All I have left is a slightly damaged sentinel torso that I need to list. And whatever comes with cloak (and cloak who needs cloak)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not because of Facebook (although Facebook is mostly crazies), that's because of Marvel Legends.

The cheaper the toyline, the worse the community for it. I call it Po's Law.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The sideshow forum is hosed too. Statue collectors are huge dicks bc they look down on everyone for having less money

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, the Hot Toys groups are also full of crazy assholes. They're just crazy assholes with more money. So...worse?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, you know what they say.

When it seems like every group is full of assholes, then just maybe... it's comic book fandom.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That’s just fandom!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Target says my Amazing Bag-Man ships the beginning of October!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Nin Nin games is having a fall sale. They've got some Nendoroids on pretty heavy discounts: https://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/autumn-sale

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Amazon Black Series release today:

https://twitter.com/flyguy/status/1572586589754122241?s=46&t=N412VySsZBYt_YXDCVYTVQ

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

$67 for two rereleases, a cloak, a spear, and a Grogu who can almost put his hands together :barf:

They couldn’t even be bothered to include stuff like Ahsoka’s lantern or the darksaber or, I dunno, a rock for Grogu to sit on. There’s nothing here to entice a collector to potentially double-dip.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Hasbro is really becoming unaffordable for collectors

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
That softgoods cloak really should have come with Ahsoka in the first place. I already paid for a third party one. Same with third party Beskar spear(s) and Darksaber(s).

TBF, this is the first Mando with all of his correct season 2 changes that isn't covered in snow: different thigh pad and blue kneepad.

I see this as more for someone who's just getting into the line, but otherwise only for hardcore collectors.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Nin Nin games is having a fall sale. They've got some Nendoroids on pretty heavy discounts: https://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/autumn-sale

Slick, grabbed a couple of Demon Slayer nens

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Another sale, another chance to get tempted by Monstarts King Ghidorah….

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

This place is legit? There are some pretty rare items at crazy discounts. People have ordered from here before successfully?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're legit but also lie about inventory sometimes.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I've ordered from them a bunch of times. No issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Another sale, another chance to get tempted by Monstarts King Ghidorah….

I don't want my King Ghidorah anymore, kept both the main and shipper box for it and would be open to working out something for $0 + cost of shipping if you're in the US (where the shipping hopefully wouldn't completely blow up).