Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Saw that CMON launched War of the Ring 2: Battle of Sand Planet and was intrigued by it. Price tag wasn't even as insane as I was expecting but as I now do by default, checked shipping and saw they wanted ~$85 USD to ship to Canada. I have never seen such an outrageous shipping price before, it's insane. I know shipping has gotten pricier but this is another level and it's fun seeing people who do this for a living (I used to handle domestic shipping) chime in and say, uh this is nowhere near what an adjustment would look like. There's speculation they're offloading the entire process onto KS suckers.

It's too bad about the FOMO KS exclusives but I can wait to see if the game is any good and then grab it from my FLGS and save a shitload, thank you very much. So greasy that these guys continue to use crowdfunding as an interest free loan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CMON is the personification of everything wrong with Kickstarter.

My favorite part of this campaign was that one of the stretch goals was half of a game mode, and the other required piece to play that mode was three goals later. Like, we all know the founding goal isn't actually the full game with these things, but they aren't even pretending otherwise at this point.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Heads up to any viewers of YT's Board Game Brawl https://cbs12.com/news/local/regist...ptember-13-2022 He's a nonce.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Heads up to any viewers of YT's Board Game Brawl https://cbs12.com/news/local/regist...ptember-13-2022 He's a nonce.

I had no idea that "nonce" has that meaning in UK slang. I've only ever heard it used in discussions related to cryptography.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

armorer posted:

I had no idea that "nonce" has that meaning in UK slang. I've only ever heard it used in discussions related to cryptography.

This is the first I'm hearing of it having another meaning [pointing at each other from opposite cars meme]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

armorer posted:

Along with "ponce" for homosexuals it's reputedly an acronym that was used on police notes for sex offenders up to the 1950s: (Prisoner/Not) On Normal Courtyard Exercise, as gays were not considered to be in serious danger from their fellow inmates whereas a kiddie fiddler would find himself shanked in short order. They're both probably just backronyms, though.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Jedit posted:

Along with "ponce" for homosexuals it's reputedly an acronym that was used on police notes for sex offenders up to the 1950s: (Prisoner/Not) On Normal Courtyard Exercise, as gays were not considered to be in serious danger from their fellow inmates whereas a kiddie fiddler would find himself shanked in short order. They're both probably just backronyms, though.

I highly doubt that, that reads as much more of a backronym, like claims that gently caress stands for "fornicating under consent of the king'.
Wikipedia only cites the acronym usage from 2012, the derivation from nancy seems much more plausible linguistically.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Quick reviews of games I've played this week:

7 Wonders - I enjoyed it. We played one 3-player match so I have barely much to go on. I will say that I wish it was more interactive as it's really a play your own board game more than anything else. Interaction is there but barely felt. Need to play more to see what shakes out but this may end up getting traded: 3-5 players means this might not see much play (plenty of friends not plenty of board game minded friends; gonna head to a local game shop when I'm back home and bring it along with), lower interactivity might mean its not to my taste (TBD).

Forbidden Island - Played four games with 2 players and two attempted (4-year old interrupted a lot) and one completed with 3 players. I found the first two games I ever played, the two-player ones, engaging and fun. Three players less so. Don't love the cooperative aspect here as it feels entirely like everyone is playing every character together rather than each playing a character independently and cooperating in some other way. Once the basics of the game are figured out there doesn't seem to be much else to figure out and you just play out the cards with your inputs being very predictable/optimized. By the last game I was fairly bored .

Azul - Love love love. Played two matches with three players and I'm excited to try a 2-player game. I think this is a nearly perfect fit. Nearly only because it might be more casual than I ultimately want. Still, I'm a fan of games that are strategic but casual, enough to not check out entirely but suited to be played over drinks and conversations. My sister picked this up but I'll definitely be getting it for myself.

The rest are digital games I snagged off Steam and Google Play intending to play them mostly solo or online if I feel it's worthwhile.

Game of Thrones: The Board Game - Hate this! I played the first two tutorials and just closed the third tutorial likely to never return. I think this style of game will never appeal to me (?) (See below). Never liked Risk either. This is my first absolute regret of a purchase but at $10 it's not too costly a lesson.

Small World - I'm sick to my stomach I can't tell if I enjoy this game or not!! Mostly I feel that I don't but for some reason I keep booting it up and playing games. I'm sick and I need some help. Cheap to pick up.

Catan - I hate this game? I don't understand the rules after the tutorial. I don't know when or why I can build settlements (or more accurately, why I can't when I have the resources to), I don't know what makes a starting position good or bad, I hate the dice. Trading with bots sucks rear end but I figured. Maybe this game is rescued with in person play but as of right now it's a hard pass. Game's free at least.

Dominion - Growing on me but super odd compared to card games I've played before (MTG, Gwent). Whereas getting the rules down isn't the biggest hurdle, figuring out what makes a good play, what engines are supposed to achieve, how to maintain an edge, how to close out and when, and a whole slew of stuff are still fairly opaque to me. It's still early on of course but if something doesn't click soon I can see myself abandoning it for good. Free to play.

Splendor - Sat through the tutorial then loaded up one game that I didn't complete for an interruption. Haven't opened the game again. It seems like it would take a really long time to finish a game and I'm not very grabbed by the mechanics of it. Will revisit but right now it's strongly Meh. Free to play.

Railroad Ink - Meh. It's fine. Passes the time I guess. Not exciting to play solo and I don't see any benefit to playing with anyone else either. Decent turn-off-your-brain and chill game. Will probably play another dozen or so games then ignore it forever. Four bucks on Google Play.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Catan - I hate this game? I don't understand the rules after the tutorial. I don't know when or why I can build settlements (or more accurately, why I can't when I have the resources to), I don't know what makes a starting position good or bad, I hate the dice. Trading with bots sucks rear end but I figured. Maybe this game is rescued with in person play but as of right now it's a hard pass. Game's free at least.

Tutorial probably missed out on explaining that you can’t build a settlement within one space of another settlement

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Dominion - Growing on me but super odd compared to card games I've played before (MTG, Gwent).

Buy Condotierre, it’s literally gwent but you can play it with 2-6 people well more like, Gwent is literally Condotierre but copyright law is fucky for games

E: I haven’t bought it, but the 2018 printing has a two player mode that’s has some significant rules changes

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 20, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Condo really does not work at 2p unless someone has come up with variants to make it work. I played around with the idea of doing 3 battles at once a la Battleline/ALS but never really settled on anything.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Perry Mason Jar posted:

7 Wonders

Forbidden Island

When you're ready for a heavy game and you want a co-op game where everyone is playing themselves, try Spirit Island. But it's heavy. Aeon's End might be a lighter co-op game you enjoy where everyone's playing themselves. "Quarterbacking" is the bane of a lot of co-op games, which is the close cousin of what you were describing.

7 Wonders is best at 4-5, I think, but can play well at any number from 3-7. Interactivity actually goes up as player count goes down. There are four types of Interactivity, broadly speaking:
1. Military
2. Resources
3. Burying (through discarding, building a wonder, or building suboptimally) stuff your neighbor(s) wants
4. Making sure G doesn't end up with all the science cards for the 98th game in a row by burying them before G gets them (every 7W group has a G)

#1 is part of the game, and you should be doing #2 (they need four stone to build final wonder stage? Don't help them out by playing the fourth stone unless you need it). #4 is the duty of every red-blooded 7W player. But, regarding #3, in a 3-4 player game, you can be looking at what everyone needs, not just the person you're passing to at the moment, and deny them their stuff. In any case, even in a 7 player game, you should still be doing #3 to the player you're passing to.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Dominion - Growing on me but super odd compared to card games I've played before (MTG, Gwent). Whereas getting the rules down isn't the biggest hurdle, figuring out what makes a good play, what engines are supposed to achieve, how to maintain an edge, how to close out and when, and a whole slew of stuff are still fairly opaque to me. It's still early on of course but if something doesn't click soon I can see myself abandoning it for good. Free to play.

if you want engines, play Ascension. Designed by MTG pros, it leaned into the "find combos from this flop" (and listening to people whine because "you took the card I wanted, this game isn't fair").

I think the base set is free on iOS as well, which tbh is the best way to play deck builders because you don't have to shuffle piles and keep track of coins and poo poo. It's also got a starter collection for like $15 or something ("Ascension Eternal")

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Cheers, appreciate the replies!

Triskelli posted:

Tutorial probably missed out on explaining that you can’t build a settlement within one space of another settlement

Buy Condotierre, it’s literally gwent but you can play it with 2-6 people well more like, Gwent is literally Condotierre but copyright law is fucky for games

E: I haven’t bought it, but the 2018 printing has a two player mode that’s has some significant rules changes

A space being an entire tile rather than a side of one, yes?

Not ready to invest in a card game just yet and I might be Gwent'd out entirely having dumped several hundred hours into the digital standalone version after spending most of my W3 playing Gwent anyway. If (when) I do pick anything it'll probably be Marvel Champions or Marvel Legends or similar since I hear so much good about them.

Admiralty Flag posted:

When you're ready for a heavy game and you want a co-op game where everyone is playing themselves, try Spirit Island. But it's heavy. Aeon's End might be a lighter co-op game you enjoy where everyone's playing themselves. "Quarterbacking" is the bane of a lot of co-op games, which is the close cousin of what you were describing.

7 Wonders is best at 4-5, I think, but can play well at any number from 3-7. Interactivity actually goes up as player count goes down. There are four types of Interactivity, broadly speaking:
1. Military
2. Resources
3. Burying (through discarding, building a wonder, or building suboptimally) stuff your neighbor(s) wants
4. Making sure G doesn't end up with all the science cards for the 98th game in a row by burying them before G gets them (every 7W group has a G)

#1 is part of the game, and you should be doing #2 (they need four stone to build final wonder stage? Don't help them out by playing the fourth stone unless you need it). #4 is the duty of every red-blooded 7W player. But, regarding #3, in a 3-4 player game, you can be looking at what everyone needs, not just the person you're passing to at the moment, and deny them their stuff. In any case, even in a 7 player game, you should still be doing #3 to the player you're passing to.

I can't stop hearing about Spirit Island so I've been eyeing it and finally sat down to watch a proper, not 3 minute, review today!

https://youtu.be/Qj2OTrksMuY

It seems about perfect. The review made me realize that yeah it was a quarterbacking type thing nagging me. I'm trying to sell my bestie on it now.

I groked those 7W lines/interactions one the first play and it's the "interaction is there" I mentioned. One of the other two players also figured them out quickly but the third never did. I'm not giving up on 7W at all, I do like it but right now I'm wondering if a. I can meet the Best player count regularly enough to actually justify owning it b. Interactions feel more meaningful more regularly than they did.

Tried a 3-handed earlier and I'm probably not gonna be doing that regularly either.

PRADA SLUT posted:

if you want engines, play Ascension. Designed by MTG pros, it leaned into the "find combos from this flop" (and listening to people whine because "you took the card I wanted, this game isn't fair").

I think the base set is free on iOS as well, which tbh is the best way to play deck builders because you don't have to shuffle piles and keep track of coins and poo poo. It's also got a starter collection for like $15 or something ("Ascension Eternal")

This looks up my alley, I'll add it to the list!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Cheers, appreciate the replies!

A space being an entire tile rather than a side of one, yes?

A space in this case is a point of one of the hex tiles - you have to have at least two roads between settlements.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Almost had a heart attack thinking it was Board Game Barrage which I enjoy a lot. loving gross. Wasn’t he a DT contributor? I seem to remember his face for some reason.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I can't stop hearing about Spirit Island so I've been eyeing it and finally sat down to watch a proper, not 3 minute, review today!

https://youtu.be/Qj2OTrksMuY

It seems about perfect. The review made me realize that yeah it was a quarterbacking type thing nagging me. I'm trying to sell my bestie on it now.

They just came out with a target exclusive version called horizons of spirit island that plays up to three, has less rules overhead, and a lower price. It might be just the thing for you to explore the game with less initial investment, and then the spirits can be used with the original version if you decide you like it enough to dig deeper.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/367498/horizons-spirit-island

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Played John Company 2E for the first time with a disastrous play for the company. Multiple peopled finished on negative VP, highest score was 3.

Had two rules misunderstandings so that's a decent effort, going to fix them next time. One was probably significant and maybe would have let the company limp on for another turn (though not.. certainly) which would have substantially increased scores by letting 1 more london season happen, and the other one was a very minor end game scoring issue.

I did a very rushed rolling teach, and total play time including setup and pack away was 2:30 minutes. If we had of played correctly, I would expect 3 hours for 5 players.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Played John Company 2E for the first time with a disastrous play for the company. Multiple peopled finished on negative VP, highest score was 3.

Had two rules misunderstandings so that's a decent effort, going to fix them next time. One was probably significant and maybe would have let the company limp on for another turn (though not.. certainly) which would have substantially increased scores by letting 1 more london season happen, and the other one was a very minor end game scoring issue.

I did a very rushed rolling teach, and total play time including setup and pack away was 2:30 minutes. If we had of played correctly, I would expect 3 hours for 5 players.

Really looking forward to my copy arriving and then struggling to get it on the table for months. I haven't played it in 2+ years but how bad do you think the teaching/learning is compared to say, Pax Pamir?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

FulsomFrank posted:

Really looking forward to my copy arriving and then struggling to get it on the table for months. I haven't played it in 2+ years but how bad do you think the teaching/learning is compared to say, Pax Pamir?

Based on first edition it’s probably Cole’s easiest game to teach (maybe not the easiest to learn for the teacher though). Especially when compared to PP, every part of the game is compartmentalized, so it’s easy to explain each step when you come to it without worrying so much about how those bits interact.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Are the differences between editions of War of the Ring enough to pay more for the new version? I can get a second hand copy of the first one on the cheap.

And what about the expansions? Do they add anything interesting? Should I drop them together with the base game from the start or is it better to play the base game for a bit before playing the expansions?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

As someone who has every WotR expansion and promo do not do it unless you get bored (you likely won’t). If you want a single expansion Lords of Middle Earth is what you buy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I’ve been playing base game only War of the Ring off and on for a long time now and still never felt any particular draw towards needing the expansions.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Triskelli posted:

Based on first edition it’s probably Cole’s easiest game to teach (maybe not the easiest to learn for the teacher though). Especially when compared to PP, every part of the game is compartmentalized, so it’s easy to explain each step when you come to it without worrying so much about how those bits interact.

I think the Pax pamir teach is more complex, but the John Company teach is longer.

It's a more difficult teach that 1E as there are just more systems (power scoring, prime ministers phase, expanded, army commanders expanded, sailing expanded, events in India phase expanded)

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 21, 2022

Carillon
May 9, 2014

John Company I found to be surprisingly straight forward except for the events phase right at the end. You can/should also watch him teaching it fully, and then just teach as you play. I believe he says he does round 1 to teach and then either restarts or has the game actually begin in round 2.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Gloomhaven (Digital) FREE on Epic Games from today til the 29th

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

make jaws of the lion free too, cowards

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Can you play the epic store version with the steam one

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Can you play the epic store version with the steam one

yes, you can. the host generates a code to join the game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Finally got around to playing Root on Saturday.

...Yeah, Riverfolk expansion arrived today.

Im sure its come up before, so, sorry! But anyone got experience playing with 6? I see a lot of people saying 'don't do it', but my group is almost always a 6, and we're very comfortable with long games. Is it actually that bad?

(Although, definitely never ever play Dune with 8. Never do it. It's much much worse than it might at first appear, I really cannot stress enough not to do this).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
6 is terrible, not least of all because you’ll end up having like 30 minutes or more between your turns. Root is basically 3-4 only with 4 being much better unless you play very specific faction combos at 3.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
5 isn't bad logistics-wise if two players are Vagabonds. But then you're playing a game with two Vagabonds.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
quote is not edit

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

6 is terrible, not least of all because you’ll end up having like 30 minutes or more between your turns. Root is basically 3-4 only with 4 being much better unless you play very specific faction combos at 3.

5 and above is pretty unplayable. However unlike Bottom Liner I actually think 3 is the sweet spot. 2 and 4 are good too but 3 strikes the best balance for me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I forgot how brutal the early campaign is, and was glad to learn that you can change the difficulty mid-game.

"Oh, I should play on Hard/ Level +1 since I'm playing solo and coordination makes it easier." First room in the first dungeon is six level two enemies "Oh, right."

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

girl dick energy posted:

I’ve been playing base game only War of the Ring off and on for a long time now and still never felt any particular draw towards needing the expansions.

LoME is fantastic and adds a lot IMO. But same on WoME. Every time I set to learn Warriors of Middle Earth I just end up not and we play WotR + LoME and have a great time.

But really you can get a lot of play out of the base game without needing any expansions.

Huskalator fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 22, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I imagine if I played WotR often enough (or lurked BGG enough) to explore all the possibility space on strategies, the expansions would do a lot for that, but I mostly play only with one other person (hi, Circl!) and our meta is nowhere near solidified, or even fully explored. On our last game, he opened with Free Peoples by having Gandalf go on an activating spree in the North, and I spent basically the entire game on the back foot because neither of us had really done that before, and I didn't know how to respond. (What meta we do have mostly revolves around Saruman and/or Gandalf the White, since that early action economy is so, so loving good.)

Genuine question, what does LoME add, both in a literal sense, and strategically?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 23, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Jewmanji posted:

5 and above is pretty unplayable. However unlike Bottom Liner I actually think 3 is the sweet spot. 2 and 4 are good too but 3 strikes the best balance for me.

I can conceive of a scenario in which 5 or 6 would be OK, but it would require that 1. Everybody already had experience playing and was familiar with every faction, and 2. Everyone takes quick turns, no one has AP, and everyone is the exact right amount engaged where they care what's happening in game but are not impatient for their own turn to come around. I've never experienced either of these situations in a 5 or 6 player game though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

More Gloomhaven video game trip report: Getting mollywhopped by a difficult encounter doesn't feel nearly as bad in this version when setting up to give it another go is as quick as clicking "retry" or "return to Gloomhaven", instead of 15 minutes of set-up/teardown, and the game flows much better in general. It almost feels like this is the game as it was meant to be and the board game is a clunky-but-faithful adaptation.

Edit: Big shout-out to the modding support, and incorporating a ton of common house rules as optional rules you can toggle on or off (including the ever-loved 'summoned monsters still drop gold').

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The game refuses to get past the loading screen for some reason. The dev trying to help fix it was saying that the game wants to launch a browser to log into epic or something and isn't doing so, but it's extremely frustrating!