Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ethanol posted:

I’ll believe it when I see it becuse the game isn’t cpu heavy it’s single thread heavy on one very bad ui design

And of course their example is a GA where none of the problems present

The new DLSS version offers frame interpolation (or extrapolation, maybe, which would be better), generating new frames wholecloth. By the very nature of how it works, it would increase frame rates past a CPU bottleneck, even a severe single-threaded one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Now we know what they were waiting for in Nvidia's drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/dlss3-ai-powered-neural-graphics-innovations/

MSFS is going to have DLSS 3 support, a new branch of DLSS that includes a form of AI-assisted motion interpolation.

DLSS 3.0 is only for RTX 4000 though right? I hope it'll work on RTX 2070, cause god Flight Sim is the only thing that doesnt run well on my PC, so I was really hoping to get the 4000 series, but the 4080 is $900. :(

Squiggle posted:

Ugh DLSS 3 only for the new 4000-series Geforces sucks :mad:

Nooooooooo! I just want to play Flight Sim with actual acceptable performance.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Nooooooooo! I just want to play Flight Sim with actual acceptable performance.

Kids these days. It's not many years ago when anything above 20 was deemed acceptable in flight sims. And people would even lock it to 20 because keeping a steady FPS was more important than a high, but fluctuating frame rate.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

lobsterminator posted:

Kids these days. It's not many years ago when anything above 20 was deemed acceptable in flight sims. And people would even lock it to 20 because keeping a steady FPS was more important than a high, but fluctuating frame rate.

I got greedier about frames after I strapped the display to my head and performance hiccups make me vomit.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

lobsterminator posted:

I swear there was some sort of savant on the War Thunder forums who played with <= 5 fps on minimum settings (how does your computer not run War Thunder??), controlling the plane with his mouse, and still dominated every match. His mind must have worked like some twisted AI that's trained to generate optimal moves from static images. I couldn't believe the replays he was uploading. Glad we're in a better age now.

ethanol posted:

I’ll believe it when I see it becuse the game isn’t cpu heavy it’s single thread heavy on one very bad ui design

And of course their example is a GA where none of the problems present

Hold on, is your post about all the Glass cockpits and interfaces being drawn through the same thread? I think they solved that. In earlier versions I needed to turn of all unneeded screens on the a320 to enjoy a silky smooth framerate, now the screens don't matter at all. Does it still suck on your end?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

still sucks

I'm not going to say its certainly that but FPS dips in the airliners is still horrible on my 3080 ti and the one thread is maxed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think they optimized it a bit but the tubeliners still run the technical equivalent of 16 Chrome tabs to drive the glass panels. Can't polish a turd.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lobsterminator posted:

there's an austinpost on the x-plane blog way back where he says that if you are getting more than 24 frames per second, which is what the cinema industry (i.e.: THE EXPERTS!!) consider SMOOTH MOTION, you are WASTING your COMPUTER'S POWER AND YOUR MONEY by not rendering all the DETAIL you could be, and you should TURN THE GRAPHICS UP!!!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Bought a second throttle quadrant so that I can listen to the sweet sound of desynced propellers

man why did I do that

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
You are broken.

One of us! One of us!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

there's an austinpost on the x-plane blog way back where he says that if you are getting more than 24 frames per second, which is what the cinema industry (i.e.: THE EXPERTS!!) consider SMOOTH MOTION, you are WASTING your COMPUTER'S POWER AND YOUR MONEY by not rendering all the DETAIL you could be, and you should TURN THE GRAPHICS UP!!!

Movies should be 60fps. I’ll fight you on this.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

MrYenko posted:

It's unfortunate that we never got anything better than Peter Jackson's The Hobbit

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I really wish you could still watch the 60fps version of that somewhere. I never saw it in theaters and I want to see it in all its hosed-up glory.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Technically it was 48 FPS, but you know, baby steps

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

nah. cinema should stay at 24 for the same reason every other sort of moving image works better at higher rates -- everything becomes drastically sharper and clearer. my main memory of the hobbit was how obvious it was that all the dwarves had rubber noses, which somehow wasn't a problem in lord of the rings. i think when you're trying to take people into an imaginary cinematic world, slower is better.

higher framerates are fine for documentaries, sports, games, etc where fidelity is the goal. cinema isn't supposed to be hi-fi. it's a dream.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

BMan posted:

It's unfortunate that we never got anything better than Peter Jackson's The Hobbit

Hobbit ran at 48 fps. Ang Lee filmed Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and Gemini Man at 120 fps but there’s seriously only a handful of theaters in the country equipped to display it at that rate. A friend of mine saw Gemini Man in Los Angeles at 120 fps.

I believe Avatar 2 is going to be released in as many theaters as it can at 48fps.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Anyone else learn flight simming on Sublogic's FS II on a Commodore 64? It got maybe three frames/second, tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCehXfpJVUA

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

soggybagel posted:

Hobbit ran at 48 fps. Ang Lee filmed Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and Gemini Man at 120 fps but there’s seriously only a handful of theaters in the country equipped to display it at that rate. A friend of mine saw Gemini Man in Los Angeles at 120 fps.

I believe Avatar 2 is going to be released in as many theaters as it can at 48fps.

i hadn't heard about it anywhere, but apparently they've remastered avatar to 4k and are rescreening it now in advance of the new one, so i'm definitely gonna be taking my older kid to go see that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The first thing I watched on my modern TV was The Hobbit and I didn't realise I had left motion-smoothing on, just assumed it was supposed to look like that. Had no idea the home versions were 24fps :cripes:

In general though, sure I can tell a different between 30-60fps, it really doesn't matter to me. But I grew up used to playing poo poo at like 8-20fps. Not sure I can really tell a difference beyond 60fps, but I have messed around with Tony Hawk at 120fps for shits and giggles.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 21, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

The first thing I watched on my modern TV was The Hobbit and I didn't realise I had left motion-smoothing on, just assumed it was supposed to look like that. Had no idea the home versions were 24fps :cripes:

In general though, sure I can tell a different between 30-60fps, it really doesn't matter to me. But I grew up used to playing poo poo at like 8-20fps. Not sure I can really tell a difference beyond 60fps, but I have messed around with Tony Hawk at 120fps for shits and giggles.

Pretty much the same for me.

30 fps feels jerky in action games, but in slow paced games like civilian flight sims, it's fine.
~45 fps is usually enough for me that it doesn't annoy me.
60 fps is very nice and smooth.

I tried Doom (2016) using 90 fps and it's so fast paced that I definitely noticed the difference, but I'm happy with 60 fps.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
1.15 GB Update available in Windows Store. No idea how many gigs once that part is done. Looks like SU10 is live.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Showed a 15GB download once I launched via Steam.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
1.1GB update in the MS Store, then reportedly 16.75GB in game but now reports only 12.75GB so who knows.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Sagebrush posted:

nah. cinema should stay at 24 for the same reason every other sort of moving image works better at higher rates -- everything becomes drastically sharper and clearer. my main memory of the hobbit was how obvious it was that all the dwarves had rubber noses, which somehow wasn't a problem in lord of the rings. i think when you're trying to take people into an imaginary cinematic world, slower is better.
I think the issue is largely that the film noise (either from actual film, or added in post, if not supplied in adequate strength by the sensor), masks a lot of that sort of stuff. And when it's twice the frame rate, the noise kinda gets reduced temporally.

soggybagel posted:

Gemini man was 120 fps, not 60? I gotta find a release of this, if it even exists outside theatres.

I think with Avatar 2, Cameron is going to use some frame pacing technique on top to introduce artificial judder to make it less soap opera. I saw it demonstrated on Youtube a while ago, but my Google-Fu fails me to dig it up again (loving Youtube search).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 21, 2022

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

quote:

The encryption of cfg files for premium and deluxe planes as been removed so the behavior of those aircraft can be modded.

Finally

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gemini man was 120 fps, not 60? I gotta find a release of this, if it even exists outside theatres.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2019/10/8/20896194/gemini-man-hfr-3d-120-fps-showtimes-movie-theaters

I have no clue how the home release of Gemini Man ended up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The world wide VCR seems to have it available (seems there was a Bluray release with 120fps).

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Good news on my end: SU10 resolved a lot of the loading lag I was seeing. Much faster now.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Enabling "Low Power Mode" in the experimental area is wonderful, no more high resolution rendering of a hanger while I'm sitting in menus.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Number_6 posted:

Anyone else learn flight simming on Sublogic's FS II on a Commodore 64? It got maybe three frames/second, tops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCehXfpJVUA

At this point I'd just kill myself.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

You absolutely would be able to tell 60fps and 120fps apart, and anything above that. The higher the framerate the faster an object can move across the screen while still being perfectly readable.

I was given a demo of a 1000Hz projector and it blew me away when they did a demo of a slot machine and I could clearly track every icon on the wheel at the fastest speed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There are diminishing returns on increasing the framerate, though. The jump from 30 to 60 fps is far more dramatic than going from 90 to 120. Or to put it another way, 30 to 60 is the same ratio as 120 to 240.

I have a 144 Hz monitor and can definitely tell the difference between the settings. Going from 144 to 120 is noticeable, and going from 120 to 60 makes everything feel crunchy and laggy. 30 is like dragging my eyeballs through sand.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I can not seem to be able to enable DLSS on the VR-side of the settings, only on "PC".

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Enabling non-VR DLSS has resulted in gauges getting a bit gauzy and blurred in the A320 but everything else seems to be ok.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I guess they never figured out how to integrate the webgl poo poo into the dlss pipeline.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

New update is in, I want to get back into simming and I find that a lot of my Honeycomb buttons are different due to the new Yoke, no biggie, let's change them. I come to find I have to click the middle of a bar under controls to expand it, so for the Exterior Lights I need to open the menu to select the specific thing, but I can't actually expand it by clicking on the part where it says "Exterior Lights." It's really, really dumb.

Then I actually try and change the controls and I swear to gently caress it's almost like this is intentional just to gently caress with me. I select Nav Lights, it brings up the prompt and change the input to the correct switch on my Yoke, but now I can't click "Validate." I actually can't click anything on this screen and I'm loving stuck here. The keyboard doesn't even respond and I can't hit Esc to at least close the menu and try something else. I connect a bluetooth controller and it allows me to work the menu this way and I finally, am allowed to apply the control change. However, after clicking Validate the control I just set under the expanded menu is gone. I'm not talking about the binding is gone, but that control option is completely removed from the control settings. I say gently caress it and try to change another control option, now my cursor disappears, the controller fails to work and the game is just completely softlocked.

How do you mess up the options menu? Jesus loving christ man. I had to Alt+F4 in order to close the game. Opening the game back up I still can't validate any of the controls.

Vaminn
Jan 29, 2003
I think I ran into the same issue and what worked for me is when assigning a switch was to toggle the switch back to the original position before I could click validate. Also in regards to the disappearing control option, are you filtering the assignments at all? If the filter is for unassigned then that would cause that issue.

sigher posted:

New update is in, I want to get back into simming and I find that a lot of my Honeycomb buttons are different due to the new Yoke, no biggie, let's change them. I come to find I have to click the middle of a bar under controls to expand it, so for the Exterior Lights I need to open the menu to select the specific thing, but I can't actually expand it by clicking on the part where it says "Exterior Lights." It's really, really dumb.

Then I actually try and change the controls and I swear to gently caress it's almost like this is intentional just to gently caress with me. I select Nav Lights, it brings up the prompt and change the input to the correct switch on my Yoke, but now I can't click "Validate." I actually can't click anything on this screen and I'm loving stuck here. The keyboard doesn't even respond and I can't hit Esc to at least close the menu and try something else. I connect a bluetooth controller and it allows me to work the menu this way and I finally, am allowed to apply the control change. However, after clicking Validate the control I just set under the expanded menu is gone. I'm not talking about the binding is gone, but that control option is completely removed from the control settings. I say gently caress it and try to change another control option, now my cursor disappears, the controller fails to work and the game is just completely softlocked.

How do you mess up the options menu? Jesus loving christ man. I had to Alt+F4 in order to close the game. Opening the game back up I still can't validate any of the controls.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thank you so much, you're a god.

That literally fixed it and I was able to set mostly everything up just fine. There is one issue that still remains and I'm at a loss, however, good LORD the game runs so much better these days and especially in VR. I was able to turn off the Smoothing option on the Index and it ran just fine and didn't have parts of my screen jittering like I was altering reality itself. It's beautiful. I also have the game close to maxed as well. I might have to look into a G2, again, just for that clarity. God drat I'm going to get lost flying around the planet.

So the other control issue I'm facing is strange, my trim wheel doesn't work. The inputs on the wheel work fine, the game has the Elevator Trim Up/Down set to it properly but in game the Trim Wheel isn't turning at all and instead it sounds like the inputs of the physical wheel are instead bound to a switch somewhere. Every time I spin the wheel I hear the same clicking as though I'm turning a light on somewhere but I look around and none of the switches are being flipped or pushed. I've even searched the controls for the Trim Wheel inputs to just see what else is bound to it and the only thing bound to it is the Elevator Trim. I'm not sure what this is about but whatever, I can fly right now at least and Trim with the Mouse.

I'm really happy with the performance, this is so much smoother now but god drat if the UI for all of this isn't a lovely headache.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Two quick technical questions. One, not really a problem, but whenever I load up the MSFS for the first time and start a flight, it generally runs at half the FPS I'm used to, but I can immediately reset the flight and it'll jump up to my usual FPS. This has been happening since launch, and I'm just more curious than anything. Doesn't seem to be a caching issue, since I can fly that initial flight for an hour, and it'll stay at half FPS the entire time, and only increases when restarting the flight or starting a new flight. Anyone know what is going on there, or it just LOL Asobo.

Related to that, what the hell is taking them with implementing DX12? I've never seen a company have such trouble implementing DX12, particularly one that's partnered with the bloody company that created DX12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I haven't played with the beta or anything yet so I'm trying out DLSS for the first time and while the FPS uplift is absolutely real (at 4k DLSS Quality I go from 40-43 to 60 in a 208 at all Ultra settings on my 3090), the G1000 display is super blurry. Not blurry so much in the lower resolution sense (although I can tell it is upscaled slightly), but blurry temporally.