Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
on the other hand the brits having less manpower to terrorize the rest of the world with is p unambiguously a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

on the other hand the brits having less manpower to terrorize the rest of the world with is p unambiguously a good thing

It’s a bit ridiculous that they maintain amphibious forces as large as they do, I suppose that’s all because of Argentina.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s a bit ridiculous that they maintain amphibious forces as large as they do, I suppose that’s all because of Argentina.

Though honestly could the UK even do the Falkland islands again? They barely pulled it off without US support last time, and now their only aircraft carrier is in for repairs and its loaded with American usless American planes who exsist solely to transfer public wealth direclty to LockMart. They're an American colonial auxiliary with the trappings of the independent military that it once was

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KomradeX posted:

Though honestly could the UK even do the Falkland islands again? They barely pulled it off without US support last time, and now their only aircraft carrier is in for repairs and its loaded with American usless American planes who exsist solely to transfer public wealth direclty to LockMart. They're an American colonial auxiliary with the trappings of the independent military that it once was

they are lucky that argentina keeps IMFing themselves into oblivion

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i dont think the uk is capable of invading anyone at all their military is a complete joke and almost non-existent also as mentioned their carrier (brand new) doesnt event function

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

No, not really. For the Falklands, the Brits called on the last great generation of Royal Navy Warships, those built in the 60’s and 70’s. They still had a fairly substantial force, and large merchant navy they could mobilize. Now, British warship design has floundered and costs exploded, so it’s a smaller force of very expensive ships and the City of London has seen to it that the merchant navy was sold off. You can’t ask Panamanian and Liberian ships to risk Exocets. Then, as you said the F-35 is no substitute for the Harrier, which was able to fly off container ships for Christ’s sake.

Basically, the principles of Neoliberalism are directly at odds with those of a naval service because almost by definition warships are incredibly expensive investments that serve a single purpose, with any luck will never be needed to actually do it, and incur gigantic personnel and maintenance costs over their (again, hopefully peaceful) service lives.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my wife and I got into a discussion over both Prince Harry and Prince Andrew getting to wear military uniforms to the Queen's funeral, and I asked if Andrew had ever seen combat, since I knew Harry did, and it turns out Andrew was in the Royal Navy during the Falklands conflict

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yeah that's why he couldn't sweat

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
something something exocet

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

gradenko_2000 posted:

my wife and I got into a discussion over both Prince Harry and Prince Andrew getting to wear military uniforms to the Queen's funeral, and I asked if Andrew had ever seen combat, since I knew Harry did, and it turns out Andrew was in the Royal Navy during the Falklands conflict

lol why are they all helicopter pilots? is it to tempt god or just a metaphorical throwback to riding horses

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pilots are the closest things to being Knights of the Sky and they can't fly regular airplanes so

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

500excf type r posted:

lol why are they all helicopter pilots? is it to tempt god or just a metaphorical throwback to riding horses

The traditional post of Royals in the Victorian Royal Navy iirc was the fast cruiser squadrons, naval helicopters have the same sort of dash. For the army, as you said, helicopters are like being in the Hussars, as Prince Albert-Victor was.

Sort of related, I only learned last week that both Diana Spencer and Helena Bonham-Carter are descended from bona fide naval heroes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cuttlefush posted:

something something exocet

exosweat

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Capitalism creates a military that is only useful for colonialism. As Neoliberalism rots the state out from underneath itself the need for constant growth starts to make them cut away at the things that Capitalism needs to protect itself. This is most obvious with the British where not only the.States ability to control the peripheral is under mined by privitization, but also the metropole which sees them constantly cutting police budgets. Than again the Brits are an even more cowed people than Americans. They"re not ever going to overthrow the monarchy, let alone Capitalism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

exosweat

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Capitalism creates a military that is only useful for colonialism. As Neoliberalism rots the state out from underneath itself the need for constant growth starts to make them cut away at the things that Capitalism needs to protect itself. This is most obvious with the British where not only the.States ability to control the peripheral is under mined by privitization, but also the metropole which sees them constantly cutting police budgets. Than again the Brits are an even more cowed people than Americans. They"re not ever going to overthrow the monarchy, let alone Capitalism

I’ve posted about it before but the SA80 was the direct result of Thatcher privatizing small arms design and production.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

y’all are making a lot about an O-2 reservist with his head up his rear end. I mean his other major article is uh squints that Hawaii should join NATO?

I’m sure he’s loved and won’t be pushed out by somebody he irritates once the automatic promotions end at O-3.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/AnnQuann/status/1571818946323681283

this is a pretty cool and interesting PAVN field kitchen

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/ronkainen7k15/status/1572128160287977473

new us wunderwaffen being procured

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

A 120mm mortar in an enclosed turret on a Stryker

What derails this moron rear end idea, takin all bets

vehicle is top heavy and flips over at 2:1
cancelled in favor of those little flying drones with bombs in them after 6 years of development hell at 3:2
crews pass out and die due to heat and improper fume extraction at 3:1
internal ammunition cookoff with deaths during test program at 5:1

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Patria’s mortars have been around forever, they tried this with AMOS as well. They’ve been pitched as The Weapon of the Future for my entire career and I think longer than I’ve been alive, though I’d have to check.

It’s way too much money to do what a dismounted team with a tube and a baseplate can do. The entire purpose of 120mm mortars, as a concept, like literally to their origins, is to be cheaper than a 105/122mm towed howitzer. It’s such a profound misunderstanding of what a large calibre mortar is and what it’s for, idk.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Sep 21, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

american heroes are not fit to man-carry and walk

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I thought the whole idea behind indirect fire weapons systems was that they wouldn't be receiving small arms fire. If mortars are countered with artillery, I don't see that lovely little tankette doing much to help.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Didn't the Soviets have these 40+ years ago?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

turret made by reindeer fuckers

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I thought the whole idea behind indirect fire weapons systems was that they wouldn't be receiving small arms fire. If mortars are countered with artillery, I don't see that lovely little tankette doing much to help.

Mortars are supposed to be “the Infantry’s Artillery” and lighter and cheaper (and therefore simpler) than the lightest and cheapest guns of the same calibre.

I think you’ve tapped into something here because I think it shows a departure from what role weapons are commonly understood to serve to the MIC directing their development, for their own reasons.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

A 120mm mortar in an enclosed turret on a Stryker

vehicle is top heavy and flips over at 2:1
cancelled in favor of those little flying drones with bombs in them after 6 years of development hell at 3:2
crews pass out and die due to heat and improper fume extraction at 3:1
internal ammunition cookoff with deaths during test program at 5:1

Gonna put my on Development hell, eventually replaced with drones after hundreds of millions have already been spent

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s like if you really break down what Stryker MGS was supposed to be, it barely resembles the simplest execution of the concept - infantry formation direct fire high explosive - an Infantry Gun.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s like if you really break down what Stryker MGS was supposed to be, it barely resembles the simplest execution of the concept - infantry formation direct fire high explosive - an Infantry Gun.

But wheres the air conditioner going to go?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

But wheres the air conditioner going to go?

lol just reissue the cooling vests.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

lol just reissue the cooling vests.

Reissue, no thats not going to generate profit, we need ro spend 60 million dollars to redesign them over 3 years and come away with somethjng thats a cheap plastic hand held fan with a try for a single ice cube in front of it that blows at the operators face

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Didn't the Soviets have these 40+ years ago?

The 2S9 Nona is apparently a weird mortar-howitzer combo and probably applies to the newer 2S31 Vena too.

AFAICT those two are basically shrapnel-proof self propelled mortars while the US' is a bit more ambitious.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Danann posted:

The 2S9 Nona is apparently a weird mortar-howitzer combo and probably applies to the newer 2S31 Vena too.

AFAICT those two are basically shrapnel-proof self propelled mortars while the US' is a bit more ambitious.

Ahh gotcha

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Danann posted:

the nona was built on the fancy airborne BTR and weighed 9 tons, the stryker that this thing is built around is 20 tons

the obesity epidemic is ripping through our armored fleet, someone should do something about this

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Abrams needs a diet, than maybe it could actually use a bridge without destroying it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Danann posted:

Gun-Mortars, like Gun-Howitzers are useful. Nona, Vasilek, Khosta have a clearly defined role and proven service history. Vena is the most ambitious and has found the least use precisely because it’s heavier/more complicated/more expensive than what already serves its role. It’s the same reason the BTR-90 or God forbid BTR-90 with BMP-3 turret didn’t enter service - what are they doing that justifies the extra cost and complexity? If the answer is “the same thing as the BTR-82 but for more money”, then it’s not a good buy, as cool as it might be.

If the cost of Vena could be knocked down to the point where it could provide fires for BMP-3 equipped formations the same way Nona does for units using BMD, then it could be handy. That requires being fielded en masse though. As it stands Vena and Nona-SVK (BTR based) are so expensive what they add to Motor Rifle formations on BMP and BTR respectively seems mostly to be “cost”.

The issue is not the Gun-Mortar, or having a Gun-Mortar on a vehicle or even behind armour, it’s that they are so incredibly expensive for what they do. Remember - in terms of the doctrine and force mix what they are supposed to replace is a MT-LB with a hole in the roof.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Germans figured this poo poo out, I don’t think it’s the concept that’s creating the disconnect, I think it’s the incentives.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Sep 21, 2022

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The AMOS is supposed to lob 10 rounds with different angles and charges for simultaneous impact. Whether it works or not I don't know and the Stryker is a piece of poo poo but it isn't just supposed to be a regular mortar carrier.

Mortar rounds carry more payload than gun artillery since the case doesn't need to be built up to withstand being shot out of a gun so you are delivering a bunch of ordnance in one place at once.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

bij posted:

Mortar rounds carry more payload than gun artillery since the case doesn't need to be built up to withstand being shot out of a gun so you are delivering a bunch of ordnance in one place at once.

Yes, that’s why they’re supposed to be cheaper than towed guns of the same calibre. That’s the benchmark.

it’s not just mortars. Look at weapons carriers of all types, for example TOW carriers. They went from a way to transport the TOW, a clear improvement over a dismounted team dragging the launcher around, to trying to do far more than carry the weapon and in the end wound up costing a lot more than what it was intended to replace.

I forgot to address MRSI. It’s a mortar. A dismounted crew can drop mortar bombs downrange in a quick burst, that’s how they’re supposed to be used. This is what I mean about the marketing trying to create justifications for the cost.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=io3NHBKQSQ4

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Sep 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

No argument from me. The simultaneous impact bit gave a general a half chub enough to "justify" the upcharge.