Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I know very few people who actually have print newspaper subscriptions, for whatever that's worth.

It's the same surprise I have when I'm reminded that fax machines and even

telegraphs

are still around for niche uses

okay what.

editting because dark monde imo doesnot make bold stand out enough. Jeff I demand you fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

PhazonLink posted:

okay what.

I wanna say wire transfers still run on telegraph infrastructure?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the success of the Dilbert cartoon came in spite of Adams more than because of it. It's one of those shows I sorely miss and wish it had gotten more seasons, but UPN was already doomed by the time it was on the air, so it wouldn't have lasted much longer than it already did.

UPN had this kinda proto-nerd TV idea it could've run with but decided to chase Tweens instead.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna11147506

Western Union stopped sending them in 2006, but these guys still send them

https://www.itelegram.com/

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
are wire transfers different from other bank transfers? not to mention all the new internet stuff from old school paypal (lol thats old now) to like dozens of fin tech apps.

god why is there so much competing stuff.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

are wire transfers different from other bank transfers? not to mention all the new internet stuff from old school paypal (lol thats old now) to like dozens of fin tech apps.

:capitalism:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Star Man posted:

Is there a reason goons show sincere or sarcastic surprise over newspaper comic strips still being in print?

The fact that newspapers have been trying to strangle and kill them since the 80s?

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Telegraphs are very popular for legal and contractual use because they require human verification at either end. Service is rather spotty and you'll be routed to hell and gone on the crumbling infrastructure, but it's still there.

Except in Japan where people still love them. Because Japan's technology exists in both the 23rd and 19th century and will not budge.

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

Fortunate Bird posted:

Can someone please summarize what's going on with that boob report? Is that really a teacher lol? I can't stand to listen to that confused doofus for two seconds.

I'll try! Tucker ran a story on an Ontario trans teacher who may or may not be trying to get fired by wearing sexualized, inappropriate clothing (tight top, short skirt) combined with very large prosthetic breasts with noticeable protruding nipples, on top of not following safety regulations in shop class (hair down, lanyard hanging from the neck, no gloves/glasses/etc). Tucker whines about the huge boobs, makes fun of them, and says this evil pervert is using children as props in a sexual fantasy and that people "like this" keep going unpunished, mentions nothing of safety because he doesn't actually give a poo poo. He shows the anime figurine photo and says the phrase "exploding milk jugs" because he knows it will gain traction and therefore attention. He then follows up this ONE questionable individual with clips from teachers on tiktok talking about how they talk to students about sexual orientation, gender identity and generally try to be inclusive, including out queer teachers. He goes on about how if a stranger came up to your kid in a park and started talking about her sex life no one would stand for it "so why do teachers get to do it?", equating discussions of gender identity and sexual orientation with discussions about sex. He goes on a rant about how students are UNDER ATTACK and parents should definitely FIGHT BACK against them, a clear call to violence against both teachers and lgbtq+ people. He mentions at some point that children who experience sexual abuse are never the same, or something to that effect but I forget when that happens.

Please note that years ago, when it surfaced that a female teacher had given a 15yo male student a lap dance in the classroom in front of other students, he said that the male student hadn't been "fundamentally changed" and they should "spare the outrage" because he does not give a poo poo about children.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I thought the anime figurine was an edit by the twittersphere for comic effect.

lol at reality killing the Onion.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

I think wire transfers can't be chargebacked or refunded once the money has been sent. And no way to trace it after.
Prob why a poo poo load of those nigerian scams back in the day mostly used Western Union.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

happyhippy posted:

I think wire transfers can't be chargebacked or refunded once the money has been sent. And no way to trace it after.
Prob why a poo poo load of those nigerian scams back in the day mostly used Western Union.
There are still scams doing that now but posing as like IRS officials or similar poo poo and convincing old people to wire them money. Or they pretend to be a family member by taking info off of public Facebook accounts and using that to convince them they are legitimate.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are still scams doing that now but posing as like IRS officials or similar poo poo and convincing old people to wire them money. Or they pretend to be a family member by taking info off of public Facebook accounts and using that to convince them they are legitimate.

Also, during a mortgage closing or similar, to pose as the receiving party and email the buying fraudulent wiring instructions. We got a number of warnings about that when we bought our place, though thankfully no one made the attempt.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm not an expert on bank stuff but my understanding is that wire transfers are still the default for transferring money between banks in different countries. Or rather, I've had to deal with them a lot in order to get paid. I assume the reason they haven't been updated is because getting a bunch of different banks in different countries to coordinate literally anything at all is much more difficult than dealing with an old system.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Lol the coward deleted his tweet, he must have gotten completely dunked on. For those who didn't see it, unlike Adams who's just saying he was canceled without reason, this guy decided to say flat out "Scott Adams was removed from newspapers for speaking out against ESG and how dangerous it is."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Roseanne Barr and Fox Nation are a match made in… somewhere

Barr has set her first comedy special in 16 years at Fox News' streaming service

https://www.avclub.com/roseanne-barr-sets-comedy-special-fox-nation-1849563443

quote:

Per Variety, the one-hour special is set to debut in the first quarter of 2023 and will “feature Ms. Barr’s signature comedic take on a variety of topics, with no subject off limits.” Fox Nation president Jason Klarman praised Barr in a statement, saying, “Roseanne is a comedy icon whose humor connects with the American audience like no other. Her ability to channel the challenges of everyday people and find the humor in it all has earned her the passionate following of millions of dedicated fans. We are thrilled to add her comedy special exclusively to the Fox Nation catalog.”

I don't really give a shot about this one way or the other but I was wondering when all the FOX viewers got over Barr disgracing the national anthem and all that?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She got 'cancelled' for being racist so all previous sins RE: woke lefty nonsense are erased. See Gina Carano going from "SJWs are putting too many women in Star Wars" to the hero of the hogs the moment she got 'cancelled' for Holocaust comments.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh yeah, Hannity had O'Reilly on his radio program today, they were talking about Letitia James bringing up charges against Trump. Both of them claim that this is a bunch of nothing, O'Reilly basically said "There's two problems here if what she claims is true. One is that she should be charged with dereliction of duty if she's got evidence, because she's only bringing civil charges, and if what she's saying is true, then she should be filing criminal charges because bank fraud is a felony. The fact she isn't going for criminal charges means she's lying about what she has. The second is that it's the bank's duty to do due diligence and assess the property to make sure the value of the property the customer claims is accurate. So if the banks didn't do that and just gave him the loans, that's not Trump's fault! The bank is at fault for not doing their job!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They are conveniently leaving out that she did make a criminal referral on the tax stuff

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tortilla Maker posted:

the Dilbert live action show

FilthyImp posted:

Excuse me?

I would love to see any footage or even stills from it, but I can't find anything. There are a couple of mentions of it that are still online, but the articles themselves are giant Scott Adams puff pieces so I don't recommend actually reading them.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/24/arts/television-radio-dilbert-corporate-savior.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

quote:

In 1997 he considered an offer from 20th Century Fox Television serious enough to accept; the result was a live-action version of ''Dilbert'' that reached the pilot stage, was deemed deficient by all concerned and was abandoned.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1999-01-24-9901240306-story.html

quote:

Indeed, a live-action pilot was filmed for the Fox network. It did not, Adams said, "achieve its highest potential." There was great pressure, he said, "to make Dilbert good looking. He was given stylish glasses. They ended up casting someone who could have played a (romantic) leading man."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

When I talk about most republicans genuinely wanting to live in a theocratic dictatorship, I am not being hyperbolic

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7vzkd/majority-of-republican-voters-want-to-make-christianity-the-official-religion

Majority of Republican Voters Want to Make Christianity the Official Religion

More than 60 percent of Republicans want the U.S. to be declared a Christian nation, according to a new poll.

quote:

Christian nationalism has quickly become the far-right’s new branding of choice, championed by prominent Republicans like U.S. Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert, and Pennsylvania state Sen. Doug Mastriano, the party’s nominee for governor in that key swing state. Proponents of Christian nationalism have said there should be no barrier between church and state in the U.S., an explicit rebuke of the First Amendment and one of the U.S.’ founding ideals.

And Republican voters are embracing one of Christian nationalism’s central tenets too, according to the Politico/University of Maryland poll published Wednesday.

But, wait. GOP voters a strict constitutionalists, aren't they? How do they conflate these two th...

quote:

A clear majority of Republicans—57 percent—said they don’t believe declaring the U.S. a Christian nation would be constitutional. But when asked whether they favor or oppose declaring the U.S. a Christian nation, an even larger share of Republicans, 61 percent, supported doing so.

Greene tweeted a link to the poll Wednesday and added “In God we trust.”

Oh, well then. gently caress that document I guess. I mean, it says it right there on our money! What more do you want?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

BiggerBoat posted:

When I talk about most republicans genuinely wanting to live in a theocratic dictatorship, I am not being hyperbolic

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7vzkd/majority-of-republican-voters-want-to-make-christianity-the-official-religion

Majority of Republican Voters Want to Make Christianity the Official Religion

More than 60 percent of Republicans want the U.S. to be declared a Christian nation, according to a new poll.

But, wait. GOP voters a strict constitutionalists, aren't they? How do they conflate these two th...

Oh, well then. gently caress that document I guess. I mean, it says it right there on our money! What more do you want?

It honestly doesn't surprise me. I've met folks like this, and they'll talk themselves in circles in order to justify making GBS threads on the Constitution to uphold their imaginary Constitution. And once you press them hard enough you can tell they don't actually give a gently caress about it. They just want Christians to be the 'in-group' where everyone else eats poo poo, and I don't doubt that they'd go on to making the margins even smaller once they ran out of people to hate.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

greazeball posted:

I would love to see any footage or even stills from it, but I can't find anything. There are a couple of mentions of it that are still online, but the articles themselves are giant Scott Adams puff pieces so I don't recommend actually reading them.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/24/arts/television-radio-dilbert-corporate-savior.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1999-01-24-9901240306-story.html

I remember, back when, hearing the Drew Carey Show pitched as 'Dilbert live action' to me by someone.
I do remember also kind of enjoying Dilbert as a tween/teen, even though I'd never worked in an office obviously, hah. I definitely seem to recall Adams having been funny, not brilliant but funny, at some point. But then he decided to be a boss and then later to be a fascist so welp.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

J.A.B.C. posted:

It honestly doesn't surprise me. I've met folks like this, and they'll talk themselves in circles in order to justify making GBS threads on the Constitution to uphold their imaginary Constitution. And once you press them hard enough you can tell they don't actually give a gently caress about it. They just want Christians to be the 'in-group' where everyone else eats poo poo, and I don't doubt that they'd go on to making the margins even smaller once they ran out of people to hate.

Yep, the "Constitution" is just a totem to lend weight to want they want because they think everyone should care. When they realize that other people don't put that same totemic weight on itthey just stop giving a poo poo. "Well I WANT it!" should be engraved on their loving tombstones.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

PhazonLink posted:

Paypal/Venmo/Google Pay/Cash App/GoatseBux are all variations on the Western Union idea, which is "take money from one location, plus a small fee, dispense money at secondary location, balance the books later". They're different than a direct bank transfer because, in the US, the only way to do something like that through a bank would be an ACH, which is expensive to set up (though cheaper per-transaction) and has a lot of overhead. It's like a money order; a third party providing a simulacrum of a bank service for those who can't afford the "real" version of the service.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1572741893687250944

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1572766051573829632

They're still out here trying to get people murdered, huh. I still don't understand how they didn't get shut down after they got George Tiller targeted and killed.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

ZZT the Fifth posted:

They're still out here trying to get people murdered, huh. I still don't understand how they didn't get shut down after they got George Tiller targeted and killed.

They're fascists. The one and only goal they have is death and misery. Like that's what separates fascists from mere extremist conservatives; conservatives still have some kind of goal in mind, even if they believe it is probably best achieved by brutal violence. For the fascist, the map has become the territory and the cruelty is truly and ultimately the point. You don't brutalize people to safeguard the state, you suffer the state so you can more effectively brutalize people.

They're just sick of waiting around for policy and going back to the direct promotion of terrorism model.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I really don't know how much longer society is going to allow the whole "No one could possibly take him seriously" when people are being murdered. These people need to be sued into oblivion before anyone else is harmed by the rhetoric.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Levantine posted:

I really don't know how much longer society is going to allow the whole "No one could possibly take him seriously" when people are being murdered. These people need to be sued into oblivion before anyone else is harmed by the rhetoric.

In perpetuity. If society had a problem with Republicans cheerleading terrorism and murder they would have acted against them long ago. Like we have them cheerleading a coup on a daily basis and no one seems to much care about stopping that.

Like the only way I see Fox News dying is because the olds have died off and the younger fascists prefer 4chan and Kiwifarms to Fox News and the Daily Mail.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

PhazonLink posted:

They have almost no security aside from a number on the receiving end but on the flip side that means it’s very useful in super extraordinary emergency situations. When I lost my wallet in a foreign country and had no bank card, or currency I got a wire transfer from my parents and if they didn’t exist (and I didn’t luck out and get my wallet found by some honest people) I would have probably been in embassy hell. But yes aside from emergencies they’re mainly used in scams and immigrants sending money home to places without good financial infrastructure.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 22, 2022

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Levantine posted:

The fascists are winning. They're openly calling for violence and death and we're sitting on hands.

They'll continue this poo poo until they either win again and transform the state into a theocracy, or lose and incite violence nationwide because they'll claim everyone cheated. We're at the end of our democracy. We are all just too afraid to admit it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Live Alex Jones Defamation trial
this is after a break

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VifIukGHQx0

So far it seems to be
You said this, do you remember saying this?
I didnt say that.
Well, here is a video of you saying that.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 22, 2022

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Why would they change they never felt any negative consequences from Tiller?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Some of them will definitely drop the farce about caring about the Constitution, but there are a few who will keep it up. Generally the play for those people is to quote one John Adams (I had to look this up) who said “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious People. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

The claim is that making the US is a Christian nation isn't against the First Amendment, because making Christianity the official religion isn't establishing a religion, since there are many different denominations of Christianity. That if the government said, say, "Catholicism is the national religion" that would violate the First Amendment because it's a specific type of Christianity, but Christianity in general is not.

It's a dumb argument that doesn't hold up to scrutiny but if they're determined to hide their contempt for the Constitution that's the route they take.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This country really is a product of the Reformation

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OgNar posted:

Live Alex Jones Defamation trial
this is after a break

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VifIukGHQx0

So far it seems to be
You said this, do you remember saying this?
I didnt say that.
Well, here is a video of you saying that.

There's a 2-minute section that is really worth watching that begins shortly after 4h56m45s.

The context prior: the father of one of the victims has been constantly maligned by Alex Jones, who uses a heavily trimmed clip of said father the day after the massacre to make him look like an actor. The plaintiff plays the full clip for juxtaposition to show a clearly grieving father remembering the last moments he shared with his daughter.

What happens next is absolute wild and needs to be seen to be believed. It begins as soon as the video evidence stops and ends with the judge furiously calling both lawyers to the sidebar. This is right at the end of the day and the judge is nuclear by the time the jury are dismissed for the evening.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

The fascists are winning. They're openly calling for violence and death and we're sitting on hands.

They'll continue this poo poo until they either win again and transform the state into a theocracy, or lose and incite violence nationwide because they'll claim everyone cheated. We're at the end of our democracy. We are all just too afraid to admit it.

What happens if they lose, resort to violence, and that doesn't work for them either?

I mean, I don't exactly think that the odds are in our favor, but these types of posts aren't helpful. Stopping these fuckers is not going to be easy, but it's also not over yet.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Lots of their "legally" immigrating ancestors weren't even legal at that btw.

Like they falsified even the minimal stuff they needed to do.

This comic should be legally required to be shown and explained to anyone wishing to discuss immigration, and their audience.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

Except it kinda already is but all they cry about is how persecuted they are, never have a voice and throw out the failure of poo poo tier movies like Saving Christmas, Atlas Shrugged, that Tim Allen thing and whatever the gently caress Dinesh put out last year as evidence of how Hollywood won't give them a break and all the critics are biased. Never mind the fact that even conservatives didn't watch any of that poo poo either and that their opinion also ignores the success of Passion of the Christ, God is Real, Noah, Bruce Almighty and a few others.

Fact is though, even the majority of Christians don't care for religious entertainment. Honestly, most of them don't even like going to church and most just do it performatively or to establish like minded (closed) social circles and want it taught in schools simply to avoid icky subjects like sex.

Also, they'll never run out of people to hate. It's in the bible. Jesus hated everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
On that note, we need an Oh God! reboot like, now.