Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
So we're on week 5(?) of the new patch, how are the more casual people feeling about the island content? Are those people still engaging with it with any regularity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I haven't started it yet :ohdear:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm... mid-casual, I guess, and still tinkering with the sanctuary, although I'm doing much less now that I have everything maxed out. I've been able to coast on my material stocks, so it's just been a daily check-in to program the workshop, check the granary, and do pasture/garden chores. Still have seven open pasture slots and not sure what to fill them with -- a lot of the rares don't thrill me, and the full 20 animals seems like it takes a ton of produce for upkeep.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Countblanc posted:

So we're on week 5(?) of the new patch, how are the more casual people feeling about the island content? Are those people still engaging with it with any regularity?

Maybe save that question for next week, after this week's record breaking workshop payouts are over.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sneaking around Eureka is super easy once you realize that mobs in FFXIV in general - not just in there - have very specific aggro conditions. Most things aggro by sight with a wide frontal cone but basically ignore you even if you're an inch away from their back, and eyeless monsters like Morbols and other plant stuff aggro off sound in a circle so you can casually stroll past them as long as you only walk. The only really unique things there are that elementals also aggro on "magic" (casting a spell, including heal/rez) and undead aggro off "blood" (if you're at full health they ignore you, but aggro from a long distance if you're injured). Yes this is kind of like FFXI, and no nothing ever really tells you this beyond personal experience.

Once you know this it's honestly pretty trivial to get around even vastly overleveled enemies with no issues until a sight mob randomly turns around and you flee in a panic.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Countblanc posted:

ive been keeping up with it every day, will have enough for the last mount tonight. made 23.5k last week.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

I'm... mid-casual, I guess, and still tinkering with the sanctuary, although I'm doing much less now that I have everything maxed out. I've been able to coast on my material stocks, so it's just been a daily check-in to program the workshop, check the granary, and do pasture/garden chores. Still have seven open pasture slots and not sure what to fill them with -- a lot of the rares don't thrill me, and the full 20 animals seems like it takes a ton of produce for upkeep.

I'd recommend having at least three coblyns for carapaces, same with big hairy rat things sheep for wool and milk.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The island is a nice distraction and something cool to potter around in while Ina duty queue. I'm at level 7/8 now and slowly progressing without really paying much mind to efficiency.

My only complaint is that you can't access it while using data center travel. I do this quote often because my static is on another DC so I'm often in situations where Im waiting for 10ish min and Id love to go island but I cant

I still have no idea what groove is and that's fine

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Groove is just making anything and it makes another number go up. when that number is at maximum you increase the amount of cowries you get per item. the idea is you smash out very quick items, 4 hours each, to get your groove to maximum, then make the longer crafts, 8 hours.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

it specifically goes up with each efficiency bonus you get, aka matching item categories and alternating or chaining them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it turns out just making whatever is strong is better than explicitly building groove early on though. groove is a bonus, not a goal in itself.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
My animal setup is one of each of the 17 rares + regular coblyn, blue back, and aurochs. I think swapping out blue back for a dodo and/or aurochs for a nanny is equivalent. An attempt to balance "I want the meaningless shiny" with roughly equal leavings production.

Anyway tomorrow is shark oil day. On one hand shame the big crafts turned up early before any groove could be established, but on the other they both got separate nonexistent days so I am not complaining.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Awesome! posted:

it turns out just making whatever is strong is better than explicitly building groove early on though. groove is a bonus, not a goal in itself.

wait really? i've been dedicating my first chunk of crafts per week to maxing out groove

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Awesome! posted:

I think the general minigame is trying to figure out how to optimize the first few days to take advantage of high peakers on 6/7. It's a tradeoff of high early value crafts versus potentially building up more Groove for 6/7, though the recommended options I've seen generally manage to get to max Groove by C7 at bare minimum anyways, even if they're doing no pure Groove building beforehand.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

heres a big post about groove from the island sanctuary discord

quote:

Okay, I'm finally going to settle down a do a big ol' math post on groove, using this week as a case study. Spoiler: Never seek out groove for its own sake.

If you'd done the pure profit move of knife - rug - fingers - rug, you would've made 3615 cowries on the day and generated 9 groove. Over the course of the week (assuming you followed all workshop recs), you would've made 23082 total cowries.

If you did the alternative groove-esque pattern with 5 crafts of knife - butter - rug - knife - rug, you would've made 3489 cowries, which is 126 less, but you would've made 23247 on the week, which is higher by 165 overall. In other words, you made 126 less on the day, but 291 in extra groove money, or 97 per point. If this is a representative example of how profit is going to be distributed, then each extra groove on your first crafting day is worth less than 100 cowries. In other words, if the difference between your groove-focused plan and your pure profit plan has a triple-digit loss per-groove-point-per-workshop, don't touch it. It's probably safe to value an extra groove point day 1 at about
90 cowries over the entire week.

Now, let's contrive a more fun example. Let's say Spruce Shields and Brushes are both very-high-popularity nonexistent peaking on day 4 and you want to make as much groove as possible on day 3 so that you can maximize the heck out of that profit. (As far as I know, this is the highest possible value day, since brushes and knives are the highest base value thing that combo into a granary craft). Literally nothing matters except getting that sweet, sweet spruce money. (I'm also going to assume the rest of the week is basically equivalent to the non-spruce days this week). If we have 9 groove starting Spruce Day, that'll end us up with 20823 cowries over the rest of the week (not counting D2 which we spend grooving). If we go hard for 15 groove, we'd make 21483 cowries over the rest of the week. In this perfectly contrived best case scenario, each point of groove is worth a whopping 110 cowries, only 13 more than our "average" scenario.

Additionally, groove patterns are usually less valuable than you think they are. X>Y>X>Y>X>Y is guaranteed to drop X and Y at least one supply level before the last two crafts, and maybe drop twice over the course of the day. This means it's hard to calculate accurate revenue for those days and you are going to be losing more cowries than calculators (at present) can account for.

tl;dr, if you have two comparable workshop plans that are pretty close to each other but one generates more groove, sure, get those extra groove points. If you'd be giving up more than ~90 cowries per point per workshop to do it, just rake in that cold hard cash instead.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The goobbue ran away on my first attempt :negative:

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Workshop feels like doing the crossword to me, problem is this week's is looking too easy, like a mini with half the words filled in. Can't say I'm a casual in it though.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

just follow the spreadsheet and you don't have to think about any of it. i'm extremely lazy and i approve this method

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

now that i've gotten all the mounts and minion and barding i have little to no motivation to do island stuff, so i just login for a couple mins daily to set up agenda from the reddit post (formerly spreadsheet) and if I remember, change the expedition destination. i might just start doing low-effort workshop agendas so i can ignore it more entirely

it was neat content, but i probably won't do anything more strenuous than that until the next stuff is added

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Countblanc posted:

I live there now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Antivehicular posted:

So if you don't have full 20 animals, I'd definitely use this time to stock up on produce. I'm now at the point where I have all my animals and crops fully automated. It costs 100 cowries/day to automate crops and 200 cowries/day to automate 20 animals. I check both once a week and when I do, I craft enough food to last my animals another week.

It's 2100 cowries a week to automate crops/animals and you'll get 2000 a week just from challenge log. Totally worth it imo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

HackensackBackpack posted:

I live there now.

this was honestly what i was most curious about, if people are just like... existing in their island. and looking at stuff. that was really how the content was pitched, hyper-casual where you just exist upon a nice looking island (and then everyone decided it would also be stardew valley and animal crossing). so i wondered if people were still doing that after the first two weeks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the island (got to rank ten last night or the night before) was nice, but everyone saying that the optimization is easy and/or "just use the spreadsheet" and/or understands literally anything about planning a week and pivoting to this or that craft for more profit does not understand the casual mind and frankly I find it irritating to be told something is easy an then my eyes glaze over half a sentence into their explanation

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

hexwren posted:

the island (got to rank ten last night or the night before) was nice, but everyone saying that the optimization is easy and/or "just use the spreadsheet" and/or understands literally anything about planning a week and pivoting to this or that craft for more profit does not understand the casual mind and frankly I find it irritating to be told something is easy an then my eyes glaze over half a sentence into their explanation

I might be able to help other casuals, I'm casual af! Is it plummeting and low? Make that tomorrow. Is it not moving and low? Make that tomorrow. Done.

It's not in any way optimized but I got my bike with no fuss with that and upgrading buildings and the gardens/pastures of course.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm just slamming out the same three presets every week all week, only God can make me read a spreadsheet.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Countblanc posted:

this was honestly what i was most curious about, if people are just like... existing in their island. and looking at stuff. that was really how the content was pitched, hyper-casual where you just exist upon a nice looking island (and then everyone decided it would also be stardew valley and animal crossing). so i wondered if people were still doing that after the first two weeks.

i like hanging out in my animal pen

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

So when I'm programming for the next day, I want to look at Expected Demand, right? I don't completely understand how to read the data besides "high demand and low supply good."

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

1stGear posted:

I'm just slamming out the same three presets every week all week, only God can make me read a spreadsheet.

I just do whatever makes me gather the least, at least until I hit rank 10

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Countblanc posted:

I got the two hairstyles and stopped, the novelty wore off and asking me to go out and collect things on this tiny island is just boring.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I might be able to help! I'm casual af!
doubtful

quote:

Is it plummeting and low?
is who what

quote:

Make that tomorrow.
today tomorrow or tomorrow tomorrow

quote:

Is it not moving and low?
is what who

quote:

Make that tomorrow. Done.
snideness aside for the moment, no, none of the stock market interface makes sense and idk how I'm supposed to be reacting to market changes but at the same time increasing groove when you only have three workshops, five days, and 35 to hit on the meter

i was not told my relaxing island getaway was going to require a bachelor's in econ

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

So when I'm programming for the next day, I want to look at Expected Demand, right? I don't completely understand how to read the data besides "high demand and low supply good."

"Predicted demand" is actually what "popularity" will be next week, ignore it.
You basically just want to make stuff that's (very)high popularity, low supply, and upward demand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It really doesn't.

To be clear the insane minmaxing stuff is basically only if you enjoy eeking out a bit of extra stuff so you can finish buying everything a couple weeks earlier. If you set up a reliable preset you can still churn out plenty of them a day just by gathering common stuff.

I think people going ALL IN on the minmaxing has kinda set the wrong mindset for people. You don't have to do that or fail. You just might have to wait two weeks instead of one to afford the mount/motorycle/whatever. I minmaxed at first but now I've just set up a couple of reasonable setups and go to look in and I'm still rolling in the scrip-dough.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I just check the Island discord and make what they recommend.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I hit the island pretty hard the first week or two and now it's basically just on autopilot

I realize this is 100% a self-inflicted problem but I do wish there was something a little more to it beyond setting the agenda that I read on a discord and sometimes grabbing animal stuff from the caretakers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryanbomber posted:

I hit the island pretty hard the first week or two and now it's basically just on autopilot

I realize this is 100% a self-inflicted problem but I do wish there was something a little more to it beyond setting the agenda that I read on a discord and sometimes grabbing animal stuff from the caretakers

They've said they are going to add to it over time but also like begged people to treat it as something casual and not try to go insane on it because then you'd run out of things to do.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like the island’s problem is all the systems are a bit too simple except the workshop which is a bit too complex. I enjoyed the progression of maxing everything out but I haven’t been bothering to maintain anything since I got the achievement and motorcycle.

I enjoyed it well enough within those constraints but it has no appeal to me as a log in every day to do chores type commitment

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If you just want to make the maximum amount of funbucks and don't care to figure out the interface yourself, you just have to follow what this person says. They've even shifted to keeping an updated plaintext post, if you find yourself unwilling to open their spreadsheet and tab to the solver page.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/xj2xvp/island_sanctuary_workshop_season_5/

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Alternatively, join the Poking Paradise Discord, which is where the above data is being sourced: https://discord.gg/pokingparadise

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Countblanc posted:

I leave for roulettes and retainers, but it's my log in/log out location and I spend a lot of time running around. I do still hunt for rare animals. I haven't decided if I want a "balanced" pasture or if I want like 20 goobbues or something.

I do the crafts with the workshops but I've never looked at the spreadsheets or anything like that. I have no issues with anyone who does, it's just not what I want out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I will say, having a supply/demand element to what you ship is an idea I'd be interested to see explored more in an actual farming game. It would be cool if it could make the "production endgame" a bit more dynamic so it doesn't degenerate to just making 9999 starfruit wine or whatever forever