Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Went and saw this in the cinema again, and on second viewing I think this might be one of my favourite movies of all time. Its just such a feel good movie and despite bringing me to tears both times I watched it, I always leave the cinema just feeling absolutely floating. It has such a positive message and its just so fun

A nice little detail I caught on second viewing, when Evelyn does her first jump to learn kung-fu, her teacher is instructing her about the mindset of kung-fu and holds up a cookie and says even a cookie can be kung-fu. Its a good little foreshadow to Waymonds speech towards the end about how he fights with kindness, by bringing Dierdre some cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

https://twitter.com/ryfkah/status/1557112506719633408

I would 100% read that

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
King Arthur and the Multiverse of Sadness

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Michelle Yeoh bio in Town & Country if you’re as obsessed with her as I am.

Did you know she doesn’t drive? She’s just like us!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Welcome back Bust

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Reddit movie

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Very true

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Well Everything does include reddit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/markhamill/status/1568780392777515008?s=21&t=u2x9gZjV1fatw36O-ANi2g

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
The A24 podcast episode with the three Daniels is delightful - thanks to whoever shared it earlier in the thread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tickled to find out the chapstick used in the movie is a replica of the Ralph’s generic brand from the 80’s

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

I watched this last night and I didn’t know anything about it either then someone mentioned to me it was a good movie

Holy gently caress, blew my mind was so good

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Alpha grandpa says he killed Alpha Joy (I think), but Joy somehow jumps to the Alpha verse to kill Alpha Waymond? I think not, immersion ruined.

Seriously though, other than that one glaring inconsistency it’s great. It was amusing to realize that they straight up abandoned the universe that most of the movie takes place in for one where they didn’t just have kung fu battles all over the IRS building.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

nomad2020 posted:

Alpha grandpa says he killed Alpha Joy (I think), but Joy somehow jumps to the Alpha verse to kill Alpha Waymond? I think not, immersion ruined.

Seriously though, other than that one glaring inconsistency it’s great. It was amusing to realize that they straight up abandoned the universe that most of the movie takes place in for one where they didn’t just have kung fu battles all over the IRS building.

Spoilering this just in case: Alpha Grandpa doesn't kill Alpha Joy (or Jobu Tupaki), he kills the Joy of that respective universe so that Alpha Joy can't access/perceive/affect that branch anymore. All Joys are Alpha Joy, or rather, Joy is omniversal, the only difference being is where she focuses her attention.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7160743020726439210

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Don't watch many movies, heard this was the best movie of the year, watched it, can confirm.
I can see why they originally wanted Jackie Chan because the fights felt like a Jackie Chan movie, good that they didn't go with him though and good that they can make Jackie Chan style fights without Jackie.

Read through the thread, I'm surprised nobody nitpicked the tiniest nit and said it ruined their immersion: where did everyone get the green light earpieces in alternate universes? did they bring them over across universes or do they all build one as soon as they come over?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think they built them with local materials. I'm not sure but I think that's what Alpha Waymond was doing when he first shows up on surveillance feed? They're same as the dog lady's headset, right? Idk

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I will note, at the very beginning of the movie when they show the mirror and it tilts down into the zoom in of the next scene, I thought to myself "oh this movie's effects are going to be good"

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
r
e
d
d
i
t

m
o
v
i
e

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Truth

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bitch you think kayne is cool

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
More like awards movie. Let’s go.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The nomination is a lock for best picture. It's actual chances for winning the real poo poo seem iffyer just on the competition. The daughter isn't getting going into contention over Curtis but she's got some real competition in supporting this year. Yeoh has to deal with Blanchett in TÁR.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah lots of good films this year so definitely good to be tough. I still need to see many of the likely contenders so I am not sure where this personally ranks for me yet. It will cool to see some noms at least.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
looks like the 4k/blu of this can be found for $10 for those interested. Has some decent extras.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I snagged it online for pick up, couldn’t find it in stores at all. Just the regular Blu ray

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The movie is on Showtime right now; I tuned in just as Wayland started his action fight scene.

Still holds up.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Everybody Loves Waymond TV sitcom, when?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Joy getting a "I'm going to kill you Waymond Wang" tattoo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It’s free on Prime now

Edit: In Australia

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Heh my sister spent $12 USD to stream it tonight.

She liked it! :kimchi:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
11 Oscar noms with best pic, best director, and best actress/supporting for all 4 leads. The surprising one to me is the two music noms for score and original song (“this is life”). Guess I need to listen to the score again.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I loved the score and thought it worked well within the film, but I've only listened to it once outside of that as it's lots of shorter cues that don't work so well just for listening (compared to say, Dune). Aside from that, great to see the film getting this sort of recognition, wasn't sure how popular it would be with the Academy.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Not getting a nomination for VFX sucks.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Oh yeah that's ridiculous, considering the quality despite being done by a team of under 10(?) people

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Best Actress is going to be the most interesting race for me

Andrea Riseborough is proof clumsy transparent astroturf campaigns still work, but now I wanna know who she siphons votes from

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Welp there’s an animated short called My Year of Dicks that I won’t be able to resist seeking out now

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Best Actress is going to be the most interesting race for me

Andrea Riseborough is proof clumsy transparent astroturf campaigns still work, but now I wanna know who she siphons votes from

They're definitely going to give Blanchett another Oscar over Yeoh.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
EEAAO not even getting a nomination for VFX is a bigger travesty than George Miller not getting best director for Fury Road.

Like, seriously, watch the making of for both of these films and the ingenuity is so loving apparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The score is great and I’ve been listening to a lot of Son Lux thanks to it, happy to see it get a nomination