Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for leaving for uni without telling my parents?

quote:

This is a throwaway account and funnily enough auto generated name kinda fits.

Anyway, I am f,19, and literally just moved o of my family home. By just, I mean today, in the morning. I thought my decision was rig it but one of my new flat mates thinks I’m in the wrong so I need some impartial opinion.

I’m the oldest of 6 siblings (I have 5 younger brothers) and I lived with them and my parents. My parents had me very young, the were both 16 at the time. From the very you age, I was expected to babysit them, take care of ten and help with a lot of chores. My brothers never had to do any chores whatsoever. When I went to secondary school, I started questioning things. When I started sixth form my parents suggested I quit because I won’t be going to university anyway since I have to help with my brothers as my mother won’t be able to do so alone. I did my A-levels anyway. I tried talking to my parents about university plans but they kept telling me to drop it because I’m staying.

I however was adamant that I want to go. I was to apply for financing as an independent student (without them taking my parents income into consideration). It was very difficult but I managed it and I had all correspondence sent to my friends address.

Anyway, with all finance sorted, academic year is about to start and my uni had moving in day today until the end of the week.

In the morning, when my parents went out and my siblings went to school, I packed everything I needed (like clothes and basic necessities), left a letter I prepared and left without them knowing getting a train to my university town. I had to do it that way because they wouldn’t let me go.

I’ve had countless of phone calls from them since the morning. I’ve picked up once and they shouted at me, demanding I come back or tell them where exactly I am (I didn’t give them my address). I didn’t pick up other phone calls. I thought I was right about this but when i told my flat mates, one of them called me an rear end in a top hat and that my parents are probably worried sick and I should give them my address at the very least.

Now I don’t know. Am I the rear end in a top hat for leaving so suddenly?

Also, apologies for mistakes and typos. I’m writing on my phone as I haven’t got a laptop yet.

Never look back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Good for you kiddo. :unsmith:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hughlander posted:

Never look back!

she should be pen pals with coast guard girl

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hughlander posted:

Never look back!

OP should make sure their loving idiot of a flatmate doesn't get it into their heads to "help" by somehow letting the parents know where she lives.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

https://www.amazon.com/Will-Cat-Eat-Eyeballs-Questions/dp/039365270X (the answer is no)

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Hughlander posted:

Never look back!

Roommate can eat poo poo. OP made the only choice they left open to her that wasn't "be an unpaid babysitter and parent your siblings, because gently caress you getting to have a future". OP should definitely make sure that the roommate can't contact her parents and tell them where she is, though.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

OP should make sure their loving idiot of a flatmate doesn't get it into their heads to "help" by somehow letting the parents know where she lives.

Exactly, yeah. "Oh no, how could I ever have predicted that the assholes my flatmate was fleeing would show up and pitch a fit/file a missing persons report/attempt to loving kidnap her after I told them where to find her? It's not like she gave me any warning besides all the warnings she gave me!"

The only things her parents are worried about are 1) their reputation in their community, and 2) having to suddenly find childcare that actually has to be paid for, and 3) suddenly not having a live-in servant to do all the chores. If they were worried about her, she wouldn't have had to go to these lengths to go to university.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

tinytort posted:

Exactly, yeah. "Oh no, how could I ever have predicted that the assholes my flatmate was fleeing would show up and pitch a fit/file a missing persons report/attempt to loving kidnap her after I told them where to find her? It's not like she gave me any warning besides all the warnings she gave me!"

Yeah, remember that one where OP's fiance and his sister decided to spring a "yay surprise we're reuniting you with your estranged abusive parents!", OP got wind ahead of time and bailed, and her abusive parents showed up anyway and hospitalised the fiance? People can be insanely loving stupid about ~faaaamily~.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, remember that one where OP's fiance and his sister decided to spring a "yay surprise we're reuniting you with your estranged abusive parents!", OP got wind ahead of time and bailed, and her abusive parents showed up anyway and hospitalised the fiance? People can be insanely loving stupid about ~faaaamily~.

i don't remember that specific one, but "surprise! it's your abuser" is a whole subgenre of its own

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

teen witch posted:

I’m posting this exactly how it was posted.

My (29F) partner (28M) shat all over a movie I love and now I'm grumpy with him

The only people dumber than McCandless are the people like OP who deify him. In addition to what's already been said about McCandless, here's an article digging a bit more into the specifics of his death by the author of the book "Into the Wild," reexamining the stupid things he did years later.

AITA for asking my partner to cover his eyes when there are unwholesome women in movie scenes?

quote:

I'm going to start off with this has never been a problem before. Never has this been an issue nor have I been asked not to. Recently, my partner and I were watching Deadpool and, as you know, some of the scenes aren't exactly the most pg. This wasn't a big issue for me. We get to the stripper scene in the movie and this is where it starts to go downhill. I tell him mostly jokingly to close his eyes. I have done this before, sometimes I cover his eyes for a second with my hand. It does make me feel better when he does or even if he just says he does but in the end, if he does he does. If he doesn't he doesn't. Today was different when he goes, "Yeah I'm not closing them."(Not the exact quote but the same meaning.) This is a first. He tells me he did look away although what he said still bothered me.

Minutes later I am not really able to watch the movie anymore because of this what he calls a "joke" because I'm overthinking. I try to explain what happened and he did apologize for the joke but says he doesn't want me saying it because he, "Doesn't want to be told what to do." and, "People don't do that" and proceeds to list off all the people that he knows that doesn't cover their eyes at that scene. I don't want to be telling him what to do and that isn't my intention. But over a stripper scene? He then goes on to say how I was looking at Ryan Reynolds naked but if he asked me to look away I would've in a heartbeat. He didn't. I don't know what to do because I can understand if it's at every scene with a girl in it but it's a literal strip club. He argued with me to be able to watch a strip club because he's, "18 and can do what I want." I don't understand that if he's not interested in them, why is it such a big deal to look away for a second? AITA?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 22, 2022

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

AITA for feeding my dog table scraps from a dinner my boyfriend made for us?

When I'd only read the title I was like, oh she just let the dog lick the plate, whatever, but "table scraps" here apparently actually means "enough food for an entire other meal".

quote:

Update: I accept that Im the AH for what I said and did to Jay. Some of these responses were harsh but I see now how and why I was entitled. Thanks to people that responded to the actual issue. Others going on about her diet, thanks for the concern? but I came here to ask about Jay. Not get into a debate about dog foods. Shelby's been on her diet for 6 years and is a healthy and active puppo, that's all I and my vet need to know. As for Jay, I apologized to him and he did accept my apology but he broke it off. He said it was the last straw for him over me doing things without asking first. He has talked to me about taking things off his plate or his drink without asking before. I've tried to do better but keep slipping up. I didn't realize I was that bad about it so I'm going to work on myself for the next guy. For people that said not going to his place for 4 months was a red flag, that was my decision that he respected. I don't want to go to someone's house or them know where I live the first few months of dating and getting to know each other.

There's this in the comments about another party sub guy

quote:

I was annoyed enough when my daughter's BF ate all of the leftover roast himself, a roast that would have fed my family of 4 for another meal. If he'd fed it to his dog I'd have kicked him out too!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for asking my partner to cover his eyes when there are unwholesome women in movie scenes?

loving hell I feel exhausted just reading this

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Invisible Clergy posted:

I get that the guy is 18, but how old is the op? There’s some strange “mommy” vibes with this

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Danaru posted:

loving hell I feel exhausted just reading this

i had my partner cover my eyes

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Invisible Clergy posted:

The only people dumber than McCandless are the people like OP who deify him.

While he probably should have made at least a cursory attempt to not die horribly, there is a clear appeal to his rejection of the capitalist system.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: the wedding cake.

The baker friend hosed up royally in so much as she knew the Bride was celiac, (as evidenced by bringing the cookies), yet chose not to use the gluten free flour that had been bought specifically for her. This goes beyond incompetence and leans towards actual malice. She doesn't deserve a cent.

Re: Into The Wild story.

Whilst everyone is talking about the specifics of the real life dead guy, and how he was more a dumbarse than an adventurer. You are missing what I believe to be the crux of the story. Woman has over-romanticised the "poetry" of living off grid and rejecting society et al. Shows a movie about it to her boyfriend who makes a few reasonable criticisms, (main character was a dumbarse, and could have avoided death with some minor precautions). So she gets properly huffy at him and is actually mad. Because he didn't like a movie she liked. So therefore, this outdoorsy, generally anti establishment, chill dude is now definitely a crusty get off my lawn boomer. All over some mild, reasonable, criticism of a character in a movie based on a dumbarse who starved to death in the middle of nowhere. It's the exact same story of the dudes who get pissy at t heir girlfriends because they aren't as exited to watch the new Star Wars film as they *should* be.

And this is all probably all based on my prejudices, but from the way she writes her post, I imagine OP as the worst kind of middle class hippie. Who bought and devoured Eat Pray Love. Who has multiple fairy figurines, (because they are so beautiful and represent nature). Who knows and understands the magic of crystal healing, (like it's so much more in touch with the energy of the earth than modern medicine maaaan.) And who sees a statement like "It's dangerous to walk off into the Alaskan wilderness without a map or supplies or proper experience." as a crushing blow to her individuality and beautiful free spirit, and evidence of conformity to the corporate chains that bind society. gently caress her. I know less than nothing about the boyfriend, but he deserves better.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Tell me how you really feel

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I mean as an imax projector I respect the game here.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AITA for making my boyfriend throw away his M&Ms?

quote:

I (21m) have been living with my boyfriend (22m) for approximately two years now. Since then, he’s always been talking about how he’d like to have a candy bowl on our coffee table to offer to guests who come and sit in our living room.

In my mind, I thought perhaps putting individually wrapped candy or even a jar for unwrapped candy. Well.. one day I came home from work and I saw this bowl of M&Ms exposed to the dust particles and just about lost my mind—but I ignored it. Since they’ve been out exposed in the open, I had my sister and a friend come over and my sister commented that it was weird and gross to have unwrapped candy sitting out. My boyfriend offered my friend some of the M&Ms and she declined—but I got the vibe she was weirded out by these sweet dust magnets too. I’ll also mention, we have a cat and often find hair in every open spot.. Who’s to say my cat doesn’t go up and rub his rear end on these candies while we slumber?

Anyways, I know this is a weird thing for him to be passionate about—but long story short is that I made him throw them away and now we have wrapped candy in the bowl. He keeps claiming it must be a cultural thing since he’s Hispanic. (Lol) Since the switch, he has complained that I’m being unfair about this. He has also seen it on the show Broad City with a bowl of nerds and tried to show that as proof that it’s legit.. lol?.. So AITA for switching from unwrapped candy to wrapped candy in the open bowl in the living room?

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Invisible Clergy posted:

The only people dumber than McCandless are the people like OP who deify him. In addition to what's already been said about McCandless, here's an article digging a bit more into the specifics of his death by the author of the book "Into the Wild," reexamining the stupid things he did years later.

Reading that article, "poisoned by a toxin in a seed that was considered healthy and edible by all science at the time of his death" doesn't sound quite like the dumbass idiot move you're making it out to be. Dude died because he deliberately put himself out past the possibility of getting help, seems more accurate to call him a weird guy with a death wish than an arrogant buffoon. Or at least I've felt a lot more sympathy for his story since reading about his sister's account that their parents were violently abusive fucks.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

i read all this and now i want some fairy figurines :/

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Invisible Clergy posted:

who loving cares, jesus christ

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They make candy dishes with lids.

just saying

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Invisible Clergy posted:

I'm not sure what I like more - The dude who is fixated on the concept of "We must have a candy dish for guests!" Or the OP's shock horror at dusty M&Ms... Or the OP's cat that can rub his rear end on M&Ms with no one being the wiser.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

I assumed his complaint was going to be that it’s unhygienic because some people are gross and will get their saliva and unwashed hands over all the m&m’s. But no, it’s the dust he’s grossed out about. How loving dusty is this dude’s place that this is his main concern?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

They make candy dishes with lids.

just saying
Then what would they argue about?

AITA for going through my husbands phone?

quote:

I (f21) went through my husband's (m20) phone. He never wants me even looking at the phone when hes on it. Well 3 years ago I caught him cheating on me and I broke things off with him however, I decided to give him a 2nd chance. He gets pissed when I go through his phone cuz trust.

Well I was ordering us some food from his phone (since mine was dead) and a bot kept messaging him. I went to block her number when a contact I didnt recognize caught my eye. I opened the chat because a gut feeling told me to. Low and behold he had videos of a girl "playing".

This really upset me especially because Im a heavier girl and he always says I look perfect and shouldn't lose weight. But this girl was skinny. This all happened a few days ago and I haven't confronted him yet because I do love him and we have 2 kids together. (A girl and boy) I know when I say something he will yell at me and make me the bad guy in the situation. So am I the rear end in a top hat?

r/relationships: I caught him cheating and broke things off, however...

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 22, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for going through my husbands phone?

Man, married at 21/20 to someone who already cheated 3 years ago, with kids in the mix. That one's just rough, and they're not gonna like the obvious answer.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man, married at 21/20 to someone who already cheated 3 years ago, with kids in the mix. That one's just rough, and they're not gonna like the obvious answer.

I wonder if he's an Air Force Intel officer.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I wonder if he's an Air Force Intel officer.

I never get sick of the air force spouse copypasta.

AITA for telling my boss that my coworker doesn't wash his hands?

quote:

I (21M) started working IT at a medium-size company during the peak of the pandemic, and even though I'm not normally a neat freak the entire world crisis gave me new insight into just how bad daily workplace health could be. Over the past few months a new coworker (24?M) I'll call David has really run my nerves, whenever I'm in the bathroom with him and he comes out of the stall from number 2 or masturbating he always walks right to the door, even when I'm clearly at the sink washing my hands ahead of him. There are two sinks so it's not like he can't wait or anything, and it drives me insane because he's touching EVERYTHING in the same workplace I'm in. It puts a downer on going to lunchtime whenever I see that I could end up chasing it down with an illness.

Well, still being worried with the pandemic fresh in my mind, I told my supervisor about this and she agreed to talk to David later on. It wasn't any secret who told her unfortunately, and since then I feel like he's been rude AF to me. We only sometimes talked beforehand, but now he seems to avoid me entirely at the office. This is only my first professional job, so I'm not sure if I missed social cue or took the whole thing too far by not talking to him first. Reddit, AITA?"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yeah, I have it bookmarked somewhere, the goon really nailed it hard.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for giving my stepson a 20 minute time limit to return my car before I phone the police?

quote:

Update in the comments.

Character limit repost.

This happened last night and I am extremely annoyed.

Edits at the bottom.

I am a 34F doctor, and part of my job entails being on-call for one to three nights a week, twice a month.

My fiance Dale 30M has been saving with my stepson's mom to buy him a car for Christmas. My stepson Rex 16M has a license already but always has to borrow his mom's station wagon or his dad's beat-up pickup truck. His mom's car is "lame and embarrassing", and his dad's can only hold one passenger. Not practical for a teen.

On to the main conflict...

Rex texted me yesterday around 12 if he could borrow my car after school. His friends wanted to go to the mall but the bus route is too long, could they borrow my car?

I texted back a sorry but no, I am on call again. Can you ask your mom?

He says no. I told him sorry but my answer is still no. I'm sure you will find a solution. Ask your friends and you can all figure it out.

If you see where this is going, you are less shocked than I am.

I was up in my home office (the room where I keep my Switch, sewing machine, and laptop, so not an official office) when I heard Rex and his friends downstairs after school. I was going to see if they needed anything but they left after a few minutes.

An hour later, I went to the kitchen, cleaning up the empty bottles and wrappers from their snacks, I saw the spot where I left my keys empty, I began to panic.

First I bolted to the door. My car was gone.

Immediately dialed my stepson. He picks up and it's obvious he's in a mall store that plays loud music.

I told him to get his rear end home NOW, and he laughed and said that I am not his mom. He'll be home whenever he pleases.

I'm not proud but I told him that he has 20 minutes to get home or I call the police and report it stolen. Rex panics and said he couldn't find all his friends and drive home in 20 minutes. Told him tough poo poo.

10 minutes later I get a text that he is in the mall parking lot and will be home soon.

I phoned Rex's mom and informed her of his stunt. She was madder than me when I told her that I was on-call. She apologized and promised to talk with Rex and Dale ASAP.

Rex came in, threw me my keys, locked himself in his room.

Dale finally came home around 8 and said he had been on the phone with his ex. He DEMANDED to know why I punished his son.

I put my foot down and explained I am on-call, that means I need my car. Rex stole my car. Dale disagrees. His ex agrees with me and decided she will not be buying Rex a car anytime soon due to his entitlement.

Dale thinks that I am making a big deal out of nothing. I didn't end up going into work so why did I have to threaten Rex?

I have only gone in twice this year while on-call. Just because nothing happens doesn't mean that I am always clear.

Rex is now grounded. Fiance barely speaks to me. Asks me when I'm going in today (I'm not) and if I will apologize.

I am not budging and am still pissed he doesn't get it.

AITA?

Editing because it came up in the comments: Dale is 30 not 29, but yes he was 14 when Rex was born. Don't get hung up on this, it isn't about teen parents. Rex's mom was 15 when they had him and is the best mom if you ask me. She's who introduced me to Dale.

Edit 2: Now I can see why my friend told me this sub can be a little much. I am very thankful for these responses but I think I am going to leave the comments now and have a very frank discussion with Dale tonight. Rex is with his mom so he won't be in the middle or get involved. Kid still wouldn't look at me and called me a bitch who won't let him get his own car now.

quote:

So apparently, Dale reads through this subreddit on his work breaks. He texted me a link to my post during his dinner break.

A short time later I first received a call from Rex's mom, who said that Dale called her and ranted about how I made him look bad online. She told him that she didn't give a gently caress, because he did not react the way a good parent should. Dale was so furious that he told her that he would be calling his mother to see if someone actually cared about his feelings.

Dale's mother handed his rear end back to him GOOD. And reiterated to Dale that he was not an active part in his son's life until he was 6, so he has no leg to stand on. Dale tried to bitch about how everyone was being unfair to him, she shut him up and told him that his son did something wrong and this is not about punishing him for being a bad father.

Dale returned home a little while ago, about an hour earlier than he usually does. He looked defeated but he was still short with me. Said he was disappointed that I posted and now everyone who knows will think he's a joke and a bad father.

I didn't think this conversation would end up with my ending the engagement and relationship, but it did. The house is all in my name, so Dale is packing up his poo poo and crawling back to his mom's house.

The wedding wasn't set so no money or time lost there.

Dale said so many things that I don't even want to write down. This is not the man who I have known for 4 years and I am honestly shocked at how selfish he is. He said my doctor money would have to buy Rex a car to make up for all of the hard feelings. I am astonished at how delusional he is.

I am done with this account and will not be returning.

Edit to add that also, the fact he wasn't in Rex's life till age 6 was a huge red flag to me. He never mentioned it and refused to admit it was a big deal during the argument we had when he came home.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Invisible Clergy posted:

Who cares what Captain C Diff thinks of you, he can't even wash his hands his opinion is worthless

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for giving my stepson a 20 minute time limit to return my car before I phone the police?

Spine of Titanium!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Soylent Pudding posted:

quote:

now everyone who knows will think he's a joke and a bad father.

"Think"?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Soylent Pudding posted:

Dale was so furious [with his ex-wife] he told her that he would be calling his mother to see if someone actually cared about his feelings.
Ahahahahahaha oh man.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Runcible Cat posted:

Does the "hospitalized the fiance" part mean they beat up the fiance? Because if so, that is some sweet poetic justice

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Soylent Pudding posted:

Good for the OP for hitting da bricks and :sever: when the parade of red flags started! The fiancé turning out to be an rear end in a top hat who refuses to do the hard parts of parenting, and who sees no problem with the on-call doctor having their car stolen if it isn't him being inconvenienced.

He would, I'm sure, have hit the roof if the kid had taken his car without permission.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Invisible Clergy posted:

quote:

whenever I'm in the bathroom with him and he comes out of the stall from number 2 or masturbating

excuse me

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Soylent Pudding posted:

Obviously NTA. And this is why it's a decent thing to give a family member a phone call and a chance to bring property back without legal issues if they do it immediately.

It might work and they bring it right back! Obviously it won't always work out that way, but I know if one of my kids stole something I would be very appreciative of them being given one final warning before the hammer comes down.

Kid got to go home and now his mom and grandma can deal with him and hopefully get some sense into his head, he won't always be dealing with someone so gracious.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Soylent Pudding posted:

oh good, i read this one before the update and i love a happy ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Spine of Titanium!

Probably got the bone one replaced at the hospital she works at.