Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Is it going to be like The Crown where they recast every couple of seasons or are these actresses it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Marsupial Ape posted:

You’re being a willful turd, but you do bring up an interesting point. Most conventional Western fantasy stories deal with the reviving a lost kingdom or bloodline…or returning the order of things to a previous gold age. With that context, it is obvious the kind of writer and reader that would be attracted to a conservative theme, like that. Modern fantasy as we know it is not a progressive creature.

Should new generation of fantasy stories be not just about toppling upstart empires to reinstall a Golden Age kingdom, but tearing down ancient and harmful societies and institutions to allow the flourishing of a new, self determining age? That’s a rhetorical question by the way, goons.

You say I'm being a willful turd and yeah, I was in that post and am in general when it comes to this point of 'but that's wrong' responses. It's purely reflexive posturing - we all know it's wrong, you don't need to say it. All of this, in it's foundation, is wrong - monarchy is absurd. We're playing along with a fantasy society in very early stages of development and picking up what we will.

Although I disagree that any fantasy story 'should' do anything at all. Routing it back, this is the bullshit that occurred in one fat ugly man's mind. He was good at it, but he had his perspective and you should keep that in mind when weighing up the value of his various characters. GRRM's fantasy world shouldn't do anything in particular, it's just a matter of whether you like what this bitch cooked up or not and the overwhelming answer from the world right now is yes, we do. So you can sit and pick at all the little ways we are wrong to do so, and that's fine, but it adds very little.

I don't 'like' him, but I'm here, and so are we all. It's a process. There will be other writers.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm definitely among the people who will miss Milly Alcock and Emily Carey, but I do think they're too young to portray the adult characters, and I am looking forward to seeing how the new actors perform.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i mean you bring up that the fundamental appeal of these kind of things is conservative but in an aware mind that much should be assumed, of COURSE it is

the interest part comes in dissecting these minor tyrants of fiction, who don't harm anybody

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Matt Smith+white hair is such a gently caress face. I hate him more than Ramsey.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I hate Daemon a lot less with short hair. Still hate his skeevy guts.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Jaxyon posted:

That's bullshit because there is absolutely a propensity for shows to kill lgbt characters as more expendable that straight ones.

the Song of Ice and Fire tv universe is basically 100% on at least one member of any queer relationship getting killed.

Besides Sam and Gilly, do any other relationships have two surviving members in GOT?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

ghostwritingduck posted:

Besides Sam and Gilly, do any other relationships have two surviving members in GOT?

Edmure Tully and his (unnamed?) Frey bride, inexplicably.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ghostwritingduck posted:

Yeah, I'm reading that entire argument trying to figure out what relationships actually work out. The moral of aSoiaF seems to be "if you get in a relationship, someone is going to die if you're anywhere in the political.game."

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Brutus and his unnamed hot wife.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

roomtone posted:

So you can sit and pick at all the little ways we are wrong to do so, and that's fine, but it adds very little.

Respectfully, I think this is a big clue why some people find these kind’s discussion frustrating and even banal. You’d think a normal person would consume content and then decide if that content was for them or not. If it is not for them, they stop watching it and move on like a healthy person. If they do like it, then they watch it until it ends or starts being bad. Experiencing a show that is good is your primary concern.

Not here. gently caress that. Picking and psychoanalysis and societal theory, and general pettiness. That’s the primary concern. The act of turning every thing we kinda enjoy into a community college English II workshop. If we could have the inane, disassembling conversations without actually having to spend watching TV for hours better invested in sleep, we would.

I’m sorry that’s not your thing and I hope your frustration doesn’t come from a sense alienation.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I get it, i literally have a degree in this exact kind of waste of time, which i bring up to make clear exactly how stupid i am. I suppose that's why i come in so flip and dismissive of it because i assume we all know the same useless crap i know

we could all chop the text to bits, look at it inside out, and say this little piece of poo poo might be the progenitor right here, this might be a crucial reflection on the thing!

but i'm getting older, and i'm tired because it doesn't fuckin lead anywhere. this is the product of some guy's mind filtered through hundreds of millions of dollars. it is the establishment, and they've identified a few things we want: comprehensible courtroom drama, huge bursts of violence, and either like incest or paedo poo poo or what loving ever that upsets us thrown into the mix as a perk up. something to get pissed off at, it doesn't matter what it is.

i talk about all this stuff using serious words cos they are the only words available. it doesn't actually matter but that last part is what i'm saying people get mixed up about, and it stalls us all in this weird kind of childish attitude like - what do we/you think about the latest big show? problematic? acceptable? but the terms have already been set by the show, and they weren't set to engender thought, they were set to engender clicks this post won't get nearly as much response as it deserves because it's outside of that ecosystem, and i know - it's the thread about hot dragons

but if this isn't a thread which interrogates how we interact with this horseshit, then what is the point in the first place

so i just don't think this poo poo matters. say what you like. maybe daemon should gently caress his niece forever and rule the world, who knows, who cares. as long as it's a decent hour of time to spend away from contemplating how powerless we really are and now i dive into monotony but you see my point. this is, in the end, not a good thing for any of us. it's always a failure, and the better we all realise that the more productive a conversation i think we'll have about the fact we are still doing this.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 22, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

That's bullshit because there is absolutely a propensity for shows to kill lgbt characters as more expendable that straight ones.

the Song of Ice and Fire tv universe is basically 100% on at least one member of any queer relationship getting killed.

I agree the historical literary version of this trope doesn't apply.

Ah yes, the fridging trope isn't about misogyny because it's just a side affect of almost all comic book heros being a straight cis male, for some reason that's definitely not misogyny.

Misogyny isn't just "we hate women" it's a bunch of things that can be summarized to "we hate women" but aren't always explicitly "we hate women"

Same way as racist people can have black friends. They don't fly into a rage every time they encounter brown skin.

Zzzzzzzzz

E: to Roomtone, you are right, none of this poo poo matters, so why bother posting a big screed over some dumb tv show. Just roll your eyes and move on talking about the show.

I will really miss Rhae, new person better be up to the task, but what I've seen in preview they seem to not be able to express much facially

Barreft fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 22, 2022

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Sir Kristen Khoal

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

wizardofloneliness posted:

They did a good job on making Alicent seem a bit older throughout the first five episodes, but Rhaenyra looked exactly the same over five years. I don’t think I’d buy her as a 30+ year old, she is a very youthful looking person. I don’t know if there’s future time jumps in the story, but it makes sense they’d cast older actresses if the rest of the story is over a longer period of time. Otherwise you’d wind up with a bunch of 20-year olds playing characters twice their age.

IMO this is mostly down to acting and how the characters are written. Rhaenyra comes off as more mature at first, but Alicent's actress obviously had more to work with considering how much more her character goes through. Both actresses were great overall though, and Darcy and Cooke both have their work cut out for them.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Hard to believe we're less than a week away from incredible arguments about which actress is better.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

unlimited shrimp posted:

Hard to believe we're less than a week away from incredible arguments about which actress is better.

I've already decided I like Emma better because I like her name and I have a feeling it'll be the contrairian take. At least till she gets 4 episodes in.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Looks like Amazon is finding out that the only thing that could tear down the House of the Dragon is itself.

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1572758934808576000

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Aww man I was excited cause I thought the next episode leaked or something.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

unlimited shrimp posted:

ugh gently caress you're probably right

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Come on, it'll be fun. It can be both better and worse than a multi-page discussion on how the mysterious mind of the colour blind works!

Who am I kidding, it will be worse :eng99:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Well Olivia Cooke made me feel things in RP1, so I am ready to root for hightowers of the Old Town!

Btw, what's Hightower's animal?

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well Olivia Cooke made me feel things in RP1, so I am ready to root for hightowers of the Old Town!

Btw, what's Hightower's animal?

Their sigil is just the tower

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
No animal!? What a let down. Don't tell me they don't have a battle cry either.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

The very obvious and boring "We Light the Way."

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Gresh posted:

Looks like Amazon is finding out that the only thing that could tear down the House of the Dragon is itself.

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1572758934808576000

HoTD S1 has less than half the budget of Ring of Power S1 (it's like $200 mil vs $450 mil)

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Honestly surprised the more family friendly fantasy show with high production values and established fanbase isn't more popular.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Roman Reigns posted:

Honestly surprised the more family friendly fantasy show with high production values and established fanbase isn't more popular.

as it turns out, decent writing is a lot rarer than good CGI nowadays, and the audience do care about the former

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OLA3mHaTPY

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah I was more engaged with the wedding scene with goofy fantasy dancing than watching an elf spinkick a warg (which did look good admittedly).

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's Amazon Ring actor budget compared to Dragon actor budget though? GoT prequel has Olivia Cooke, Matt Smith, *checks imdb* holy poo poo thats Maggie Q?

I don't know anybody on Amazon Ring.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
I conjecture the Dragons House and Power Rings quality battle boils down to lighting and camera lens selection. Ring show looks like the Time Wheel show and that show looked like Princess Xena. The cinematographer(s?) chose a lens that didn’t open up wide enough to provide a challenging depth of field to isolate the subject from the background in intimate shots. Everything is therefore in focus and looks like it was shot on a cheap fixed-lens camera with a narrow f-stop. I guess they want their expensive digital mattes to look sharp on a 4K home display or something?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Odoyle posted:

I conjecture the Dragons House and Power Rings quality battle boils down to lighting and camera lens selection. Ring show looks like the Time Wheel show and that show looked like Princess Xena. The cinematographer(s?) chose a lens that didn’t open up wide enough to provide a challenging depth of field to isolate the subject from the background in intimate shots. Everything is therefore in focus and looks like it was shot on a cheap fixed-lens camera with a narrow f-stop. I guess they want their expensive digital mattes to look sharp on a 4K home display or something?

I know nothing about cinematography but this matches my feel of Wheel of Time. It looked expensive but seemed low budget in terms of how it was used.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I haven’t watched the lotr show yet (waiting for the episodes to all be released so I can binge it) but I thought people hated it because it stared a woman or poc or something, no?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Ring of Power definitely looks expensive, while Wheel of Time looked like a slightly higher budget CW show, and every character looks like they bought their coats at the mall.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Roman Reigns posted:

you want a good girl but you need the bad pussy

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Odoyle posted:

isn't saving money why "poor lighting" gets used in scenes?

the darker it is, the less you have to show, the less the CGI budget

like ppl complained about how in GoT "long night" episode where they fight white walkers at winterfell is "too dark to see anything", but that's the point. If it's too dark to see anything then you don't have to spend nearly as much CGI budget to create stuff for the audience to see.

Typo fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 22, 2022

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

roomtone posted:

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

roomtone posted:

goddammit NO :negative:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can pick any 1 of the 5 Dragon house episodes and it has more plot in it than all of the Ring of Power plots added together.

BTW the show looks really good and expensive, in the high fantasy aesthetic, not my cup of tea, but you can see the money on the screen. Better looking than Dark Material and wayyy better than Wheels of Time. I prefer the look of the Dwarf world over the Peter Jackson version or the Dragon Age version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's because Tolkien is so mainstream that even football moms will look askance at "it's based on only the appendices"