Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i expanded my thoughts in an edit just now but i think you hit the nail on the head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

roomtone posted:

i'm just never going to understand how you all come to like lower decks.

to me it's just a limp, unfunny nothing with occasional old-verse references. terrible characters, terrible jokes, for 20 minutes a week.

strange new worlds, now that i get. it's a little corny, but that's okay. i can handle that. it's handled by a very likeable cast with at least a hint of the idea that something better is possible - and that's really what i need in there, at the core of star trek. maybe it's poo poo now, maybe it's been poo poo, or maybe it's been good and great for a long time, it doesn't matter - something better is possible. that's nice. SNW has some of that, and anson mount does a lot of heavy lifting there. LD has some of...i dunno, i don't watch adult animation anymore other than smiling friends but it feels like exactly the kind of thing smiling friends is an antidote to.

‘Kay

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Lower Decks is very explicit about better things being possible, if people would just stop touching ancient masks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But people won't stop touching ancient masks, so one should build contingency plans around the fact that if there are touchable ancient masks, they will be touched.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Lower decks has a fun vibe, it isn't as cynical as it seems during a first watch

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
and so yeah just...everyone likes lower decks. that's fine. i think it absolutely sucks. one point to the agreeing lurker.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I like how it makes fun of Star Trek

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

roomtone posted:

and so yeah just...everyone likes lower decks. that's fine. i think it absolutely sucks. one point to the agreeing lurker.

how much of it have you seen because I'd totally agree on those points if it was limited to like the first two or three episodes of season 1

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Chairman posted:

how much of it have you seen because I'd totally agree on those points if it was limited to like the first two or three episodes of season 1

Yeah the first couple episodes suck and then it picks up a bunch.

As opposed to many other Treks where the first season is rough and then picks up a bunch.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

hiddenriverninja posted:

I like how it makes fun of Star Trek

It makes fun of Star Trek but still really loves and respects Star Trek.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

The Chairman posted:

i endured all of season 1 and a few episodes of s2 before i realised this just wasn't for me

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

roomtone posted:

You don’t get a point just for being objectively wrong.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

roomtone posted:

Welcome to the bad opinions club, friend! Do you like Discovery as much as I do?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i understand that pal i just think it's bizarre to generally be in tune with the collective on various matters such as when tng gets good, when ds9 gets good, what the best eps are, when star trek becomes bad and blah blah

and then to be sitting here and watching people say lower decks is good is loving baffling to me. it's loving awful. aggressively unfunny in a milquetoast american sitcom kind of way using star trek lore as it's lube. it is as bad and worse than disco, just in a different way which i feel like has you all completely fooled for now.

and when we have something that is actually pretty good in strange new worlds. that's fine, i am in alignment with external sanity once again. not amazing, but good.

maybe i'm just too cordoned off in my own world here, the best world, where stuff like lower decks is bad but i suppose i think there's gonna be a moment when some, not all, of you say hey...lower deck wasn't good. it was at best good by comparison. good because i recognise the references.

i just can't budge on the idea that it's not good, sorry.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 22, 2022

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It helps to possess a functional sense of humor

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Lower Decks' other big idea is that Starfleet is GREAT at solutions and TERRIBLE at follow-up.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Professor Beetus posted:

Oh right I forgot it was Nazi Future Sisko, I was wondering why Seven would have some dislike of Sisko and I didn't remember them talking about Sisko at all.

Sisko is a dick to former borg. Well, to Picard anyway, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't extend that prejudice to all other victims of the borg who managed to escape the collective.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Eimi posted:

There are two kinds of bad Trek. Good bad Trek when Kirk is hamming it up over insanity and bad bad Trek which is Discovery and Picard.

I will quibble on one point here: the episode where Dr Jurati sings at that gala? That's good-bad trek. I was laughing at the sheer absurdity of it in the moment.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eimi posted:

I can see how the Borg queen stuff could've been fun, but they managed to out stupid the writing that created the Borg queen and that is an impressive feat. They made the Borg queen a Whedon character, which right away was awful, but then they changed how assimilation works which might be my most hated aspect of Picard but it's really hard to pick just one. Making assimilation boil down to "willpower" was complete bullshit and undercuts everything about the Borg and makes all their victims out to be wimps who just should've had the mental strength of a quirky murderess.

Willpower probably only matters one on one. When there are a thousand borg shouting in your head anyone's willpower will be easily overwhelmed. When it's just one they have to use finesse rather than brute forcing your brain.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

MillennialVulcan posted:

Lower Decks' other big idea is that Starfleet is GREAT at solutions and TERRIBLE at follow-up.

Mariner had a line in season one like "that's Starfleet: good at observing and bad at maintaining" that feels like one of the better takes a Trek character has ever had on the world they live in, that might be what put Lower Decks over the top for me as one of the top tier shows, it's good at commenting on itself in a way that can be naturalistic and not just a parody

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Meh like what you like, I really can't stand discovery but a lot of people disagree and find there's a lot of good stuff the show brings. I didn't watch voyager at the time it aired but I still appreciate most of it now that ive seen it all.

I do need a "I got through season 4 tshirt" though cause its rough and ill prob watch season 5 when it comes out

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i guess that's where i disconnect

i don't find the 'bad at maintainence' thing funny. i think it's a conceit of capitalism to make us feel kinda okay about where we are today because heh, couldn't be better i guess! not with these hu-mons! it could easily be better. it doesn't have to be hilariously bad.

like. just be more hopeful. the way we talk and think colloquially right now isn't the only way things could be. we could be better than this, and you could still find comedy in that which doesn't rest on common notions of class and metitocracy........but you'd have to actually try

and i don't think lower decks tries

so it's just a lazy pile of poo poo to me i guess. we deserve better.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 22, 2022

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
To me it is the opposite of a lazy show because they nail a huge number of references, quirks, themes, or character bits that very clearly aren't something remotely considered in it's contemporaries.

Plus it makes me audibly busy out laughing + smoke frequently, so, sorry about your sad sack pov I guess. Not being able to enjoy things sucks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

roomtone posted:

i don't find the 'bad at maintainence' thing funny. i think it's a conceit of capitalism to make us feel kinda okay about where we are today because heh, couldn't be better i guess! not with these hu-mons!

Starfleet being good at swooping in and being heroes but less good at just taking care of stuff so that's unnecessary isn't a joke it's an observation based on 55 years of trek.

Lower decks has both jokes (novel and reference) and meaningful themes and critique and observations based on the shows we've seen up this point.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 22, 2022

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
why is that just accepted as a fact

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 22, 2022

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Watching Disco S4E13 and I think now I can pretty solidly say: I hate Sonequa Martin-Green's line reads.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

roomtone posted:

because that's what motivates like 50% of TNG plots`

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

roomtone posted:

Because it's trope of that universe. Honestly it's something of a trope in most space opera stuff - which is kind of what Star Trek is.

There's a lot of stuff like that. I recall the bit in Armageddon when somebody has to defuse a nuke. Now, the person doing this has been trained for it. The main reason they're there is to deal with the nuclear weapon. And they still do that loving "Is it the red wire or the blue wire" bullshit from every cliche bomb-defusing scene ever.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Lower decks is fun and that one goon is wrong

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

CPColin posted:

Watching Disco S4E13 and I think now I can pretty solidly say: I hate Sonequa Martin-Green's line reads.

Can't say about the actress but look at the material they have to get through oof

I swear everyone on discovery are all codependently traumatized after being time displaced, they need a ship counselor badly

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
no i meant why is the idea that star fleet is 'bad at maintenance' accepted as fact.

i'm not going to pick at any individual boimler or mariner plot, i do dislike every one of them but that's kind of besides the point. it'a sort of why i thought this entire idea of doing a Funney star trek in 2022 would be insufferable because it would only be this kind of undercutting pomposity and undercutting ideals sort of humour and it all seems so totally harmless until you realise you don't actually give a poo poo about anything.

star trek is a massive multimedia property, and most of it's series are huge mainstream and stuffy, so i'm not saying it's the place to look for invention or humour, but of all the loving things

a milquetoast animated comedy. which makes a joke of the idea of better. a joke of the only thing that gives star trek any actual merit.

this is good.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 22, 2022

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
what?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

what? lower decks is big into showing how much it loves star trek, and the ideals of the federation, and i think it's weird that you look at it and go "it all seems so totally harmless until you realise you don't actually give a poo poo about anything."

that's such a weird take

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tiberius Christ posted:

Can't say about the actress but look at the material they have to get through oof

I swear everyone on discovery are all codependently traumatized after being time displaced, they need a ship counselor badly

I wonder if that's why she whispers half her lines and sounds like she's trying to get through them as fast as possible. Also, they do have a counselor! Hugh Culber! Who is sometimes the doctor too when the other lady is busy??

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm just kind of taken that you disliked Lower Decks but liked SNW. I found SNW...okay at best, and veering into bad when they put the xenomorph in Star Trek. I can still get why people liked it, the cast is charismatic and fun and doing their best with material that is okay at best. And not everyone has the brain problems I have where I hate all the new costumes and effects and makeup and the new design of the Constitution.

Lower Decks is the furthest from undercutting Starfleet ideals of any of the current shows. In fact there's an entire episode this season where the joke is that Mariner doesn't believe that Starfleet will stick to it's ideals and the lengths she goes only to find out that, yes Starfleet sticks to it's ideals and is a force for good. It's not just layering on references, it's very clear they get what people love about Trek and they can condense an episode of it down to 30 minutes and spice it up with jokes. It's great.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lower Decks is also getting progressively better. In Season 2 they toned down Mariner and stopped putting her at the centre of every story. I guess the way I'd describe the feel of Season 3 is 'the show no longer thinks it is much funnier than it actually is' which makes it much more watchable.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The bugs the conspiracy theorists talk about in the most recent episode are the ones from Conspiracy, the infamously gory TNG episode from season 1.

Love a good Boimler freakout!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sisko is a dick to former borg. Well, to Picard anyway, and there's no reason to think he wouldn't extend that prejudice to all other victims of the borg who managed to escape the collective.

The only reason Sisko was mad at Picard was because Picard killed his wife. I bet he'd treat any ex-Borg who didn't kill his wife even handedly though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mx. posted:

what? lower decks is big into showing how much it loves star trek, and the ideals of the federation, and i think it's weird that you look at it and go "it all seems so totally harmless until you realise you don't actually give a poo poo about anything."

that's such a weird take

Roomtone's whole shtick seems to be spraying bizarre, very negative poo poo-takes all over TVIV, usually based on their own highly idiosyncratic and often baffling criteria.

Which they're entitled to do, of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

new ep is up; probably my favorite of the season so far, especially the A story moving Rutherford’s story forward finally, and the secondary having civilians raise all the weird poo poo that characterizes or has happened to starfleet over the years.