Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The Charr don't get enough love.

Bonus pic of a character type that is very nearly at the bottom of the popularity list, the male Norn Mesmer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Babe Magnet posted:

i too like plants

Love this look what's the head armour for this one?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

if I remember right that's one of the starting eye-pieces for the engineer

the rest of it my thiefs big dumb head

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I have downloaded the Steam version and started a fresh account on the US servers out of curiosity. First impressions: holy poo poo how did we even play the game before auto loot and SSDs :negative:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mr. Neutron posted:

I have downloaded the Steam version and started a fresh account on the US servers out of curiosity. First impressions: holy poo poo how did we even play the game before auto loot and SSDs :negative:

Mash the gently caress out of F I guess?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Neutron posted:

at least you have aoe looting, used to be you had to walk up to every corpse and pick poo poo up lmao

also i remember fixing my lack of SSD by just having way too many rams

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

I already have a norn necro but how could I say no to mushroom head?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Mr. Neutron posted:

I used autohotkey to bind w a s and d to also press f8, which I had bound to interact.
Dark days indeed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I already have a norn necro but how could I say no to mushroom head?

He's beautiful, the mushroom head is just a fantastic style I'm glad they added it

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Had to have one of each class and race and just didn't want to double up on genders. Something bugged me about having my characters share a voice, especially before the game introduced walk-in-talk.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What armor is that on your bladesworn and holosmith?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

jokes posted:

What armor is that on your bladesworn and holosmith?

Holosmith is using the Queensdale Academy outfit, and the Bladesworn is using the Magical outfit. I've got the matching magical rifle and axes for her, too. Her name is Pretty Protector and she's perfectly anime.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really don't like that outfits are all-or-nothing, I prefer to mix and match pieces (even if the color channels are a nightmare to navigate).

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I have armor sets for them but I wound up preferring the outfits, especially while leveling. Plus Pretty Protector just doesn't work if she's not in full magical girl regalia! I just wish I could transmute the Bladesworn gunblade to the Magical greatsword.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I wish there would be a way to have a selection screen with a group portrait of all your characters, the active one highlighted and the rest in grey, kinda like those elite spec reveal pics.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Been getting into this a bit, I look good as hell

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

TeaJay posted:

I wish there would be a way to have a selection screen with a group portrait of all your characters, the active one highlighted and the rest in grey, kinda like those elite spec reveal pics.

That would be cool. I also wish the screens would show their weapons, some of them just really pull the outfit together! But it's a minor thing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Malpais Legate posted:

That would be cool. I also wish the screens would show their weapons, some of them just really pull the outfit together! But it's a minor thing.

Backpieces too! I love my (non butt) capes

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I'm going to be begging them for a photo mode (a real one) or some kind of home instance photo studio up until the second the pull they plug on the last server.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Would be lovely

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Actuarial Fables posted:

That's mostly because the scrapper's hammer does more damage than the rifle. The drones and associated toolbelt skills are all (for now) centered around where you're standing so you'll want to be right up against the enemies, which makes taking a rifle sub-optimal because why not just hit them with a stronger melee weapon?

You can take any power scrapper build you find and just slot in the rifle and you'll be fine.

You can but at that point there's no real reason to play Scrapper over Mechanist. The only other unique feature is wells, which require you to be in melee range defeating the point of Rifle. Unless you really, really like wells in which case all the more power to you.

Or I guess Holosmith if you're okay with some more complextiy in exchange for cool hardlight mode.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Can someone give me a breakdown of how core engineer was envisioned to be played before elite specs, mechanics wise? It’s the only profession I’ve had a ton of trouble jiving with. I think it’s finally clicking with me that you only have a very small of weapon choices because kits are supposed to act as my weapon swaps, and because my utility slots are functioning as my weapon swaps, the tool belt becomes my true “utility skills”. Is that right?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dual pistols condi build is really good with a bunch of gadgets like rocket boots and probably flame turret/supply drop

Otherwise probably built around kits

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Ort posted:

Can someone give me a breakdown of how core engineer was envisioned to be played before elite specs, mechanics wise? It’s the only profession I’ve had a ton of trouble jiving with. I think it’s finally clicking with me that you only have a very small of weapon choices because kits are supposed to act as my weapon swaps, and because my utility slots are functioning as my weapon swaps, the tool belt becomes my true “utility skills”. Is that right?

That's essentially it. However, this meant that you had to swap between all your kits constantly to use the good skills in each kit (for example, you'd only take the elixir gun for skill 4), and you'd have to have a real good feel for the cooldown for all the skills because, like elementalist's attunents, you can't see the recharge time of skills that aren't your active set.

Or you would just take grenade kit and spam 1

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Or take the juggernaut trait and stay in flamethrower forever. Not the most efficient but the only way I played engi before holosmith came around.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Ok cool. I’m having fun leveling one up instead of boosting it and it’s helping things click a bit more than boosting did. I don’t love the limited weapon choices but some of the traits like aim assisted rocket are very cool. I feel like I’m playing trooper in swtor.

I made it a sylvari, add me to the weird race class combos. Too bad they didn’t make turrets race themed, it’d be sick to have seed turrets and stuff like that. I’d really like to see an offensive elixir focused spec but unfortunately it seems that went to necro.

I originally was thinking scrapper but the idea of a sylvari holosmith makes so much sense. A plant who doesn’t just use the sun to grow, but also to destroy enemies.

Ort fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 22, 2022

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

One of the sylvari racial skills is seed turrets! It's also not efficient at all but it is fun if you want more turrets.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Rifle is also OP enough nowadays, that one can just go Firearms first and stay within 450 range to blast everything to bits.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

Or take the juggernaut trait and stay in flamethrower forever. Not the most efficient but the only way I played engi before holosmith came around.

This is exactly what my four engineers did. Three of them are parked at jumping puzzles now though, while the fourth is running around with a mech working through the EoD story.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
The old rotation of bomb and grenade kit still gives me nightmares.

Even today, if I see an engy build with grenade kit I'm out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Demon_Corsair posted:

The old rotation of bomb and grenade kit still gives me nightmares.

Even today, if I see an engy build with grenade kit I'm out.

I liked throwing a thousand grenades at people and placing Big Bombs that look a little bit like pizzas

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
10 years later, bomb/grenade kit still give me carpal tunnel syndrome from just looking at them so I never use those kits no matter how "optimal" they might be at any point in time. Except underwater.

The racial skills being completely useless is kind of understandable (or you run into mandatory race syndrome in tryhard content), but still disappointing. There are some fun skills in there. And then there are the human "god" skills :laffo:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

orcane posted:

10 years later, bomb/grenade kit still give me carpal tunnel syndrome from just looking at them so I never use those kits no matter how "optimal" they might be at any point in time. Except underwater.

The racial skills being completely useless is kind of understandable (or you run into mandatory race syndrome in tryhard content), but still disappointing. There are some fun skills in there. And then there are the human "god" skills :laffo:

They could just be race-themed versions of other skills, like a Norn Warrior can use the default bull rush ability, or they can use the Norn bull rush ability but you turn into a bear and do the exact same thing.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i used to hate ground aoe skills but after getting familiar with the radius i just started double tapping instead of clicking and it works pretty well

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i used to hate ground aoe skills but after getting familiar with the radius i just started double tapping instead of clicking and it works pretty well

Fast cast where it drops the skill when you release the button is my go-to. It's also very good for controller.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I use that for regular AoE skills and it's fine for this, but I hate it for "autoattack" skills.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

orcane posted:

Even with the "useless" racial skills they had a situation where Sylvari could completely ignore a mechanic of Harvest Temple CM. :D

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I couldn't play things like mortar/grenades without Instant cast for ground targeted skills. It sucks not having the range indicator but after a while you get a feel for where stuff will land. And being able to just hold down 1 to carpet bomb an area makes up for it and saves my hand/wrists a lot of pain!

Edit: Also use the setting that makes skills shoot as far as they can reach if you target past their range. Then you can just aim in the general direction while you run and gun boom

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 22, 2022

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

IIRC wasn't the norn panther racial used to get stealth on normally stealthless classes?

Wasn't much but it was one of the few actual uses for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Wow, so Lions Arch looked pretty loving different. It was like something out of Hook or the Goonies, and I want it.