Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I hadn't played in a couple years so I had to spend like 20 minutes of just clicking through achievements to finally get the ! to go away, but jokes on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jubs posted:

Speaking of, the achievement points are so useless. There's not a single incentive to collect them.

Anything tied specifically to the current season(for regular Hearthstone) gives XP but it's not very much. I generally don't care about them but for some reason I really like filling out the ones for each specific BG Hero. Always wanted them to add a little 3-star notation during hero selection that indicates "You've played with this hero, you've made top 4 with this hero, you've placed 1st with this hero" -- maybe I have a weak brain but this would definitely nudge me towards trying new heroes even if there was no in-game reward.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
In previous seasons some achievements gave golden cards as rewards but I think they stopped doing that for Nathria?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Jubs posted:

Speaking of, the achievement points are so useless. There's not a single incentive to collect them.

it's another way to keep players engaged, chasing after achievements (people love seeing number go up!). ever since they put these in wow, they've been spreading them to every single game... :smith:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Last King posted:

it's another way to keep players engaged, chasing after achievements (people love seeing number go up!). ever since they put these in wow, they've been spreading them to every single game... :smith:

It requires basically zero effort to implement, meaning that only a very few people need to get invested into hunting the meaningless points for it to be profitable. CCGs are all about spreading the net as wide as possible in order to get the highest odds at finding a whale - I'd be very curious to know what the median Hearthstone player has actually spent on the game. $20? $5? $0?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In previous seasons some achievements gave golden cards as rewards but I think they stopped doing that for Nathria?

I think they still do it but it's always for "previous seasons" -- any battle pass reward that gives an "uncraftable" golden card gets turned into an achievement reward when the next expansion comes out. So like during the last expansion you couldn't craft golden Schoolteacher but you could get it from the battle pass; now you instead get it from an achievement.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

goferchan posted:

I think they still do it but it's always for "previous seasons" -- any battle pass reward that gives an "uncraftable" golden card gets turned into an achievement reward when the next expansion comes out. So like during the last expansion you couldn't craft golden Schoolteacher but you could get it from the battle pass; now you instead get it from an achievement.

I don't think it's that. I've got the battlepass each time but am still missing a bunch of earlier achievement rewards.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Those achievements make sense since they give you a reward or incentive to play a different style. I'm talking about the ones like "End your turn with 9 High Priestess Jekliks in your hand." It gave me 20 achievement points...to do what with? I can't even brag about it since achievements are only viewable to me.

A very simple solution would be to have a Rewards Track for Achievements.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't think it's that. I've got the battlepass each time but am still missing a bunch of earlier achievement rewards.

The golden cards can be gotten by playing those specific cards a bunch of times after a new expansion is released. Which might also be kind of lame because I don't think they auto disenchant if I already own them from the rewards. They just disappear.

Jubs fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 19, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Veev posted:

I hadn't played in a couple years so I had to spend like 20 minutes of just clicking through achievements to finally get the ! to go away, but jokes on me.

Joke's on you indeed - the ! is bugged at the moment and won't go away.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Really enjoy playing Relic DH now, too bad I suck at it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Guff nerf helped, but the very existence of Ramp Druid having the clearance it does means to exist, Aggro needs to be crazy dumb/quick. Cards like SoO being functionally a cheaper (or rampable) ‘Twisting Nether gently caress you everything is gone’ gives you the option of either end the game before Turn 7 or lose for aggro.

I think the Guff nerf itself was ‘correct’ - It’s still a rock solid Hero card. Just there’s core issues with the Druid pool that messing with it alone won’t address.

And then the necessity of Aggro (lol Druid again) being as quick as it is to be viable pushes a bunch of middling concepts out of existence. It’s quite an interesting problem, in a way.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I thought the meta of ramp druid and mage was much more enjoyable than the absolute dominance that wallet midrange hunter presents. Very boring. Worst part is, it's likely to stay this way until the mini set. Ugh.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Shockeh posted:

Guff nerf helped, but the very existence of Ramp Druid having the clearance it does means to exist, Aggro needs to be crazy dumb/quick. Cards like SoO being functionally a cheaper (or rampable) ‘Twisting Nether gently caress you everything is gone’ gives you the option of either end the game before Turn 7 or lose for aggro.

I think the Guff nerf itself was ‘correct’ - It’s still a rock solid Hero card. Just there’s core issues with the Druid pool that messing with it alone won’t address.

And then the necessity of Aggro (lol Druid again) being as quick as it is to be viable pushes a bunch of middling concepts out of existence. It’s quite an interesting problem, in a way.

I made a prediction a while back and a few nerfs ago that Scale of Onyxia would not get nerfed, because it felt like a card that they instead would want to naturally phase out of the meta with gentle power creep.

Instead they lit everything on fire, then doused it, leaving Scale soaked and still the secondary lynchpin of Druid's "either I have it and live or die" strategy. So RIP that prediction!

Oenis posted:

I thought the meta of ramp druid and mage was much more enjoyable than the absolute dominance that wallet midrange hunter presents. Very boring. Worst part is, it's likely to stay this way until the mini set. Ugh.

I'm playing Naga Priest until the end (because it's the only deck I have left after all the nerfs and dusting, and because somehow my brain just knows the right plays with the deck despite the disgust at playing Priest), and it's at least challenging the Hunter dominance

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Oenis posted:

Mini-set will most likely come out in a couple weeks so won't be too long.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
made a Miracle Rogue ragequit by Mutanusing both his Edwin and his big knife summon guy

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
If the rogue hadn't played either by turn 7 that rogue was losing the game anyway.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

AnacondaHL posted:

I made a prediction a while back and a few nerfs ago that Scale of Onyxia would not get nerfed, because it felt like a card that they instead would want to naturally phase out of the meta with gentle power creep.

Instead they lit everything on fire, then doused it, leaving Scale soaked and still the secondary lynchpin of Druid's "either I have it and live or die" strategy. So RIP that prediction!

I'm playing Naga Priest until the end (because it's the only deck I have left after all the nerfs and dusting, and because somehow my brain just knows the right plays with the deck despite the disgust at playing Priest), and it's at least challenging the Hunter dominance

Agree with all of this Anaconda, apart from apparently we have wildly different interpretations of the word 'gentle'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lots of pre-release stuff for Mercenaries was released on Art Station

Reddit posted:

• the mode has been in the works since 2019
  • You used to be able to pick 3 out of 6 different attacks for each merc
  • You used to be able to upgrade Abilities with coins OR through a special quest (for example: defeat 100 Mercs or spend 25 coins for that merc)
  • You used to be able to promote max level mercs with coins up to 2 times. This gave them a new frame, increased their max level, increased the max level for their abilities and allowed you to equip a additional ability. Promotions were also mentioned in the Mercs cinematic btw: "or get yourself some gear and grab a potion, glory waits for you and a promotion".
  • The Reason why the Merc boards are so different is simply because the cards and attacks would be too close together otherwise and overlap each other.
  • Mercs was called "Hearthstone Legends" at some point and pve maps were based on regular Hearthstone Expansions (Outland, Scholomance, Darkmoon Faire etc.)
  • The mode used to have 4 different types of attacks: Spells, Summons, Melee and Ranged
  • The village wasn't a thing originally, instead the main menu was similar to Battlegrounds and had bounties aswell as pvp in a list.
  • There used to be a clear rating for bounties with up to 3 stars (faster = better = more stars?)
  • They originally planned to add a animation when a duplicate merc turns into coins (I guess they just didn't have the time/ressources to add this low priority thing)
  • There used to be some kind of "Tavern coin" reward for beating heroic map encounters, aswell as some kind of Tavern Icon on the map. I guess it used to be a spendable currency for the run.
  • It seems like the extra loot coin on the map was planned very early on. Though it seems like you instantly got the bounty rewards and didn't have to complete the bounties for it.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

This game was very amusing, 3 on 3'd, then 4 on 4'ed due to a bad shop and on the first roll on turn 5 got the 2 Tunnel Blasters, and completed the quest that same turn because it was lose or tie 2 combats. Watching every combat degenerate into dynamite flies, everyone dies was extraordinarily amusing.

Eventually transitioned into a beast build and got an easy 2nd place; only didn't win outright because LK went full scam build specifically to deal with me (didn't find a 3rd Baron but I don't think it would have mattered).

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I feel like this is the worst battlegrounds meta I can remember, it is way too random and highrolly. Adding toxfin back into the game was a big mistake now that it is so easy to get DS. Leapfrogger is busted again and there are no ways to defeat it if they get the Exodia build. When a tier 2 minion is better than a tier 6 (Wolfrin) there is something wrong.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Chernabog posted:

I feel like this is the worst battlegrounds meta I can remember, it is way too random and highrolly. Adding toxfin back into the game was a big mistake now that it is so easy to get DS. Leapfrogger is busted again and there are no ways to defeat it if they get the Exodia build. When a tier 2 minion is better than a tier 6 (Wolfrin) there is something wrong.

I think it's one of those situations where it really depends how you play the game; I have some friends who just want to win every time they play, if they aren't high rolling they aren't having fun. I, on the other hand, am more likely to aim for a placement and still have fun, and I think it's that style of gameplay that this patch really doesn't support due to the levels of RNG present in quests. Even buddies were far more predictable.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
My main issue with the Battlegrounds meta at the moment is how bad it feels if you aren't highrolling, and how weak you feel by comparison if you aren't going for one of those highrolls. And that really hurts when so many weekly quests are about forcing specific tribes, because if you go for anything besides the most broken combo you can find immediately you're going to get blown out and barely get any quest completion anyway. It's frustrating.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You probably know this but the weeklies don't expire, unlike normal weekly quests they're kept in reserve until you make room for them. So if you just play a decent amount of BGs you'll probably hit all the specific minion type ones anyway. I never even look at the quests and I think I've completed them all to this point incidentally.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

goferchan posted:

You probably know this but the weeklies don't expire, unlike normal weekly quests they're kept in reserve until you make room for them. So if you just play a decent amount of BGs you'll probably hit all the specific minion type ones anyway. I never even look at the quests and I think I've completed them all to this point incidentally.

Yeah, but playing matches and not working towards a quest feels wrong, and I'm going to have to brute force my way into playing thirty Pirates of Quilboar eventually either way.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah, but playing matches and not working towards a quest feels wrong, and I'm going to have to brute force my way into playing thirty Pirates of Quilboar eventually either way.

You can play 30 pirates in 1 match when you get an APM board. Play what's fun, or what wins. Forcing poo poo is miserable.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Battlegrounds right now is totally awful.

If you roll 3 poo poo quests on turn 4 just quit and try again.

Playing for 4th if you get a lovely long quest is an exercise in frustration.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Anyone else unable to claim prizes on the reward track?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm really tired of Beast Hunter :saddowns:

GTO posted:

Anyone else unable to claim prizes on the reward track?

Sometime it bugs out! Try restarting :saddowns:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I'm sure the miniset will fix the meta and not just annihilate it with a broken 10 mana Jailer or w/e

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
How much gold do the minisets usually cost? Im getting back into constructed and im trying to keep just enough gold that ill be able to get it day 1 but my standard collection is a bit sparse and im still seeing some value in opening packs when my only solid decks are ramp druid and ping mage

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

How much gold do the minisets usually cost? Im getting back into constructed and im trying to keep just enough gold that ill be able to get it day 1 but my standard collection is a bit sparse and im still seeing some value in opening packs when my only solid decks are ramp druid and ping mage

The previous ones have all been 2000.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Thanks, i can probably grind that no worries by the time its released and ultimately i need to let go of my sentimental attachment to wild cards and aggressively dust them at least a little more. I might even buy a battle pass at some point once i establish that this isnt a phase brought about by disappointment with the battlegrounds monetization changes

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23852688

mini-set coming next tuesday. 2000 gold as usual

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Dew Process is pretty spectacular, pun-wise

Shadowlands was the only expansion I never played, but I know enough to know people hated the Jailer and nuSylvannas so I’m looking forward to seeing their cards

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

you wont wait long the legendaries are getting revealed in the next few hours

e: forgot there's 4 legendaries. If the neutrals are tomorrow and saturday it could be a bit

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 22, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I know no one really cares about Mercenaries around here, but at least their single burst of content this expansion is getting mentioned literally at all before the patch notes.

Also, there better be literally any cards that make playing totems worthwhile in the rest of the mini-set, or Totemic Evidence is going to be as nothing as the rest of the package.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Dew Process is pretty spectacular, pun-wise

Shadowlands was the only expansion I never played, but I know enough to know people hated the Jailer and nuSylvannas so I’m looking forward to seeing their cards

Jailer storyline was terrible, but the HS spin on him is already much better. Maw and Disorder is such a dumb pun, it's a shame that there's isn't a trailer with the doink doink and the jazzy music.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Excelzior posted:

I'm sure the miniset will fix the meta and not just annihilate it with a broken 10 mana Jailer or w/e

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I know no one really cares about Mercenaries around here, but at least their single burst of content this expansion is getting mentioned literally at all before the patch notes.

Also, there better be literally any cards that make playing totems worthwhile in the rest of the mini-set, or Totemic Evidence is going to be as nothing as the rest of the package.

I do care a little, enough to have a full collection at least. (not maxed though, I'm not a maniac) I'm prepared to jump right in as soon as there's good endgame PvE content to speak of. Which has been announced for the end of the year or so, I think.

Also mini set coming out on tuesday is a pleasant surprise, means I can hold off on spending ~6000 dust for the beast hunter -- I dusted all the wild seed stuff after the nerfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

:laffo: