Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Life is the Emperor's currency, spend it well and life is equally worthless in any millennia of the Imperium's existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ristolaz posted:

Have space marine wages kept pace with 10,000 years of inflation?

Does the Guard get paid?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The guard gets paid in honor.

(And can retire to a conquered world if they live long enough.)

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
The legacy units PDF for the mechanicum is out.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/21/warhammer-the-horus-heresy-free-rules-for-classic-mechanicum-units/

The blog post says some pretty promising things about legacy units though.

quote:

The intent with the Expanded Units entries is that they remain a work in progress until such time as we produce new miniatures, or re-release old ones, at which point they will be published in their final “core” form in a book.
And speaking of the Legiones Astartes document, we’ve taken the opportunity to update this based on feedback from Warhammer: The Horus Heresy players, which we’re always happy to receive. If you have any such feedback on the rules or miniatures, especially when informed by games you’ve played, we’d love to hear it via heresyfaq@gwplc.com.

Lucinice fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 21, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Heavy chainblade thralls downgraded to CCW but at least they're back.

And so are jump Palatines! :dance: :pervert:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The FAQ/errata is also out at the same time. It's... a mixed bag to say the least. Pride of the Legion just got a massive buff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You mean Fury, right? (Pride is the terminator RoW.)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

moths posted:

You mean Fury, right? (Pride is the terminator RoW.)

No, I mean Pride. This is in addition to the two compulsory squads gaining Line:

edit: lmao, someone just pointed out that Fearless units no longer benefit fron Shrouded per the revised rule, so Corax's armor no longer works

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 21, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Weird, I don't have that in mine (either version). It's also still showing that I've got the 1.0 download so it'll probably fix in a few hours.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
huh. i didn't really pay attention to that entry existing.

i think in practice the only thing that changes is that you can use them as your mandatory troops if you're PotL but...only bring two troops choices? is that happening a ton? you either get to use indomitus in small games or can get two more scoring terminator units. that's good (better?) but i don't know if it sounds insane

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

huh. i didn't really pay attention to that entry existing.

i think in practice the only thing that changes is that you can use them as your mandatory troops if you're PotL but...only bring two troops choices? is that happening a ton? you either get to use indomitus in small games or can get two more scoring terminator units. that's good (better?) but i don't know if it sounds insane

What that means is that you can take the two scoring Terminator units PotL gives you by default, and then four more scoring terminator units since Indomitus just get line automatically. So you're no longer bound by "you can bring a bunch of terminators but most won't score".

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh, right, six troops, duh.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This was mostly an errata and FAQ rather than addressing any balance issues

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

they made sure to make the out of control meta breaker coils of the hydra even worse. rest in piss, worst RoW in the game

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
We all agree that the Corax nerf was well thought out and justified

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
"Caw caw!" *bang* "gently caress! I'm dead!"

- Corax, post FAQ, probably

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

New death guard praetors just previewed, I want these guys so bad.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Power armor guy would be a great candidate for a non Moritat Destroyer character, if we had those.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

Power armor guy would be a great candidate for a non Moritat Destroyer character, if we had those.

There is always Crysos Morturg. I’ve been thinking how I would kitbash that guy anyway 🤔

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
those are sick but do the proportions look weird to anyone else? i haven't seen a good photo of the helmed versions, maybe those are better

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Opinions on the Termite?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Mr Teatime posted:

New death guard praetors just previewed, I want these guys so bad.

gently caress me these are great; best of the newer Praetor models imo

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Now that we're a few months after release- how are your local metas shaping up? What's hot what's not?

The Demilich posted:

Opinions on the Termite?

Good to have it back.

You probably want to put myrms inside, but you can't because they're bulky. Your next best option are Secutarii where they can assassinate tanks or MEQ. I don't think you can put a magos inside, but if you could it might be one of the few viable melee delivery systems for... something?

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

Now that we're a few months after release- how are your local metas shaping up? What's hot what's not?

We have around 8 regular players, evenly split between traitors and loyalists. Outside of 2 players, we're all new with the second edition, so are still working up to 3k points. So far people are keeping it fairly reigned in, with no more than 1 contemptor per 1k points, no named characters. We're loving the new edition, especially the reactions.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

those are sick but do the proportions look weird to anyone else? i haven't seen a good photo of the helmed versions, maybe those are better

I'm no proportionologist but it looks like the terminator's arms are too short and high enough to make the placement of the normal head look weird, and the power armor guy's pauldrons are as big as his chestplate so it makes his arms look tiny. They almost have a chibi effect going. Might just be the angle though.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Space Marine proportions are always a bit off. In the case of the Cataphractii Praetor, his arms seem to be mounted too high up compared to his head, so he looks painfully hunched over... but that's normal for Terminators, and various specific Terminator characters emphasize it to a greater or lesser extent. Likewise, there is something really terrible going on with their lower spines and pelvises, because their legs are too wide and their abdomens are too short, but that's almost a universal space marine thing (although not so much on the recent plastic Mark VIs and Deathwatch Mark VIIIs), and you'd need to re-design the Mark III and Cataphractii armor a bit to fix it, which would then put them out of step with the current Mark III and Cataphractii plastic kits (although the Mark III Praetor is already out of step with the plastics in that it seems to fix the problem they have with their lower legs being too short).

So, yes, they have hosed proportions, but it's almost certainly a deliberate stylistic choice, and it's probably appropriate that Death Guard characters look swollen and hunched. I do like the Cataphractii guy more with the helmet; that obscures where his head actually is a bit and reduces the effect, but then you don't get a cool hood.

Be interesting to see if they lean into or away from the hosed proportions thing if they do a plastic MkII kit.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 24, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I didn't notice the Dusk Raiders iconography as part of the Power Axe before, that's a neat detail.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Has anyone put out an army builder yet? Outside of just paper and pen

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I've been banned from running more than 3 dreads at a time :(

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Has anyone put out an army builder yet? Outside of just paper and pen

Battlescribe is probably ok, as long as you double check the points, but apparently some of the legions (Ultras and SoH are the two that I've heard are worst) are in a pretty bad shape.

Quartermaster, which is paid and IOS only, is also apparently pretty good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Battlescribe is still having difficulty with rites of war and the centurion specials, but it's pretty good for ballparking points.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Thinking of doing this as something fun - anything dumb i've done jump off the page to you?

(1k starter list)

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013

TammyHEH posted:

Thinking of doing this as something fun - anything dumb i've done jump off the page to you?

(1k starter list)

2 contemptors at 1k is likely to be a bit much unless your opponent is expecting it.

You will need a praetor or delegatus consul to use a rite of war (unless the Speaker has Master of the Legion)

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

the_seventh_cohort posted:

2 contemptors at 1k is likely to be a bit much unless your opponent is expecting it.

You will need a praetor or delegatus consul to use a rite of war (unless the Speaker has Master of the Legion)

that's not contemptors !

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013

TammyHEH posted:

that's not contemptors !

I can read very well whoops.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

You’re 5 points over I believe. If you need a delegatus, that might bring it down a bit.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

TammyHEH posted:

that's not contemptors !

I can read very well whoops.

I was gonna say the same thing, whoops!

Looks like a nasty 1k starting list that some will struggle with. Here was my take on a 1k Dark Angels list and I have a grand total on 0 idea on how it will work. Ignore what Hex everyone has as I'm still playing with that stuff. I'm definitely light on staying power for my scoring units but it's also 1k points

++ Crusade Force Organisation Chart (LA - I: Dark Angels) [1,000Pts] ++

+ Expanded Army Lists +

Expanded Army List Profiles:: Exemplary Units On, Legacy Units On

+ Allegiance: +

I: Dark Angels

Allegiance: Loyalist

+ Rite of War: +

Rite of War

+ HQ: +

Centurion, Cataphractii [115Pts]: Marshal of the Crown, Warlord
. Legion Cataphractii Centurion: Combi-Bolter
. . Power Weapon: Power Sword
. Paladin of Hekatonystika: Augurs of Weakness

+ Elites: +

Dreadwing Interemptor Squad [210Pts]: Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Interemptor Praefectus, 6x Interemptors, Phosphex Bomb, Plasma Incinerator

Terminator Cataphractii Squad [280Pts]: Augury Scanner, Dreadwing
. Cataphractii Sergeant w/TLC: Pair of Lightning Claws
. Cataphractii: Combi-Bolter, Thunder Hammer
. Cataphractii: Combi-Bolter, Thunder Hammer
. Cataphractii: Combi-Bolter, Lightning Claw
. Cataphractii w/Heavy Weapon (1 in 5): Plasma Blaster
. . Power Weapon: Power Sword
. Cataphractii w/Lightning Claws

+ Troops: +

Reconnaissance Squad [135Pts]: Firewing
. 0) Legion Recon Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Nemesis Bolter
. 1) Recon Legionary: Bolt Pistol, Nemesis Bolter

Tactical Squad [130Pts]: Firewing
. 0) Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter
. 9x 1) Legionaries w/ Bolter, Bolt Pistol: 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Bolter
. 2) Legionaries w/ Options: Augury Scanner, Bolt Pistol, Bolter

Tactical Squad [130Pts]: Firewing
. 0) Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter
. 9x 1) Legionaries w/ Bolter, Bolt Pistol: 9x Bolt Pistol, 9x Bolter
. 2) Legionaries w/ Options: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Legion Vexilla

++ Total: [1,000Pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I was gonna say the same thing, whoops!

Looks like a nasty 1k starting list that some will struggle with. Here was my take on a 1k Dark Angels list and I have a grand total on 0 idea on how it will work. Ignore what Hex everyone has as I'm still playing with that stuff. I'm definitely light on staying power for my scoring units.

A couple of things:

If you have the models, I would swap out the caraphractii with inner circle knights, which slap incredibly hard.

I would switch the augury scanner from the 1st tactical squad to the recon marines. If you have night fighting, being able to shoot with the full range of the nemesis bolters would be nice.

If you are going to run Augurs of Weakness, I would switch it up with a higher strength weapon than the greatsword for maximum vehicle hunting power. Alternatively either slayer of kings when Deathwing or hunter of beasts for dreadnought hunting are very good.

Although at 1k points it might not matter as much, a rhino or other transport for the warcrime squad would be nice, as they are very short range and your opponent will likely be gunning for them if they have any idea of what they can do.

For Line, I feel like 3 at 1k is more than enough, but that might depend on your meta.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Speaking of Line, my slow grow league is starting 1500 point games this week and now Line is a major consideration.

Since the mission will have 4-6 objective points, I expect I should be running at least four Line units? I've got at least 40 tac marines ready to go, I can easily split them into four squads while I build alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

you're totally right about this one though

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

You’re 5 points over I believe. If you need a delegatus, that might bring it down a bit.

dannnggg - time to snip points :(